Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,875 members, 7,817,575 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? - Science/Technology (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? (89063 Views)

The Snake � I Killed In My Compound This Morning / See The Crocodile I Killed This Early Morning During The Rainfall / Manatee: This Creature Was Killed In Badagry Yesterday. Who Knows The Name? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by Yemi7up: 11:07pm On Dec 19, 2019
Ejo
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by daddio(m): 11:10pm On Dec 19, 2019
lloydtruth:
The Snake I killed in my compound, who knows the Name?

Wait mak I ask the pastor wey do de christening
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by stasius: 11:12pm On Dec 19, 2019
Boomslang

1 Like

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by PreyingMantis(m): 11:13pm On Dec 19, 2019
temmytopsy1:
This was the type we killed last in our compound, they are very fast. somebody said they can fly
Extremely very fast, aggressive and venomous too. Bad snake to have around your compound

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by edunaragold(f): 11:13pm On Dec 19, 2019
The snake name is (boomslang)
The average adult boomslang is 100–160 centimetres (3.3–5.2 ft) in total length. Some exceed 183 centimetres (6.00 ft). The eyes are exceptionally large, and the head has a characteristic egg-like shape. Coloration is very variable. Males are light green with black or blue scale edges, but adult females may be brown.[6]

Weight varies from 175 to 510 g (0.386 to 1.124 lb), with an average weight of 299.4 g (0.660 lb).[7]

In this species, the head is distinct from the neck and the canthus rostralis is distinct. The pupil of the very large eye is round. The boomslang has excellent eyesight and often moves its head from side to side to get a better view of objects directly in front. The maxillary teeth are small anteriorly, seven or eight in number, followed by three very large, grooved fangs situated below each eye. The mandibular teeth are subequal. The body is slightly compressed. The dorsal scales are very narrow, oblique, strongly keeled, with apical pits, arranged in 19 or 21 rows. The tail is long, and the subcaudals are paired. Ventrals are 164–201; the anal plate is divided; and the subcaudals are 91–131.[1]

2 Likes

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by stasius: 11:14pm On Dec 19, 2019
It looks like Boomslang. Very venomous

2 Likes

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by Encapsulate: 11:14pm On Dec 19, 2019
temmytopsy1:
This was the type we killed last in our compound, they are very fast. somebody said they can fly

Somebody said they can what?

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by ugfellas: 11:14pm On Dec 19, 2019
Nairaland and snakes

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by igboamakaaa: 11:18pm On Dec 19, 2019
maklelemakukula:
on fire in your belly abi
Makukula grin
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by edunaragold(f): 11:22pm On Dec 19, 2019
The boomslang is oviparous, and an adult female can produce up to 30 eggs, which are deposited in a hollow tree trunk or rotting log. The eggs have a relatively long (3 months on average) incubation period. Male hatchlings are grey with blue speckles, and female hatchlings are pale brown. They attain their adult coloration after several years. Hatchlings are about 20 cm (7.9 in) in length and pose no threat to humans, but are dangerously venomous by the time they reach a length around 45 cm (18 in) and a girth as thick as an adult's smallest finger.

Behavior and diet Edit

Boomslang in typical natural habitat
D. typus is diurnal and almost exclusively arboreal. It is reclusive, and flees from anything too large to eat. Its diet includes chameleons and other arboreal lizards,[2] frogs, and occasionally small mammals, birds, and eggs from nesting birds,[2] all of which it swallows whole. Boomslangs can also cannibalize on other snakes, including their own species. [8] During cool weather, it brumates for moderate periods, often curling up inside the enclosed nest of a weaverbird.

Venom Edit
Many venomous members of the family Colubridae are harmless to humans because of small venom glands and inefficient fangs. However, the boomslang is a notable exception in that it has a highly potent venom, which it delivers through large fangs located in the back of the jaw.[2] The boomslang is able to open its jaws up to 170° when biting.[9] The venom of the boomslang is primarily a hemotoxin; it disables the coagulation process and the victim may die as a result of internal and external bleeding. The venom has been observed to cause hemorrhage into tissues such as muscle and brain.[2][10] Other signs and symptoms include headache, nausea, sleepiness, and mental disorders.

Because boomslang venom is slow-acting, symptoms may not become apparent until many hours after the bite. Although the absence of symptoms provides sufficient time for procuring antivenom, it can also provide victims with false reassurance, leading to their underestimating the seriousness of the bite. Snakes of any species may sometimes fail to inject venom when they bite (a so-called "dry bite"wink, so after a few hours without any noticeable effects, victims of boomslang bites may wrongly believe that their injury is not serious or life-threatening. The pathophysiological mechanisms of the venom is different with every snake resulting in different clinical manifestations with every patient.[11]

An adult boomslang has 1.6 to 8 mg of venom.[12] Its median lethal dose (LD50) in mice is 0.1 mg/kg (intravenously).[13] 0.071 mg/kg(IV) has also been reported.[14]

In 1957, herpetologist Karl Schmidt died after being bitten by a juvenile boomslang, which he doubted could produce a fatal dose.[15][16] He made notes on the symptoms he experienced almost to the end.[17][18] D. S. Chapman reported eight serious envenomations by boomslangs between 1919 and 1962, two of which were fatal.[19]

Boomslang monovalent antivenom was developed during the 1940s. The South African Vaccine Producers manufactures a monovalent antivenom for use in boomslang envenomations.[20] Treatment of bites may also require complete blood transfusions, especially after 24 to 48 hours without antivenom.

The boomslang is a timid snake, and bites generally occur only when people attempt to handle, catch, or kill the animal. When confronted and cornered, it inflates its neck and assumes an "S"-shaped striking pose. The above data suggest that the boomslang is unlikely to be a significant source of human fatalities throughout its geographic range

1 Like

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by Michealeni: 11:24pm On Dec 19, 2019
damoobaba:

But its not black nah. wetin be ur own sef
Funny you...who tell you say all black mamba is black in colour....? There are some that are even green in colour...

1 Like

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by Switruth: 11:26pm On Dec 19, 2019
Heffalump:
It is called brown snake. Usually nonpoisonous.

From the cloaca down to the tip of the tail, there are double scales running parallel to each other- one xteristics of non-venomous snakes.
. Thank you. Actually this topic has exposed how uneducated most guys are. Someone ask for a name of snake and boom everyone turns it to a joke. Watch snake in the city and see how Simon and his girl friend makes money from snake capture. Everything na play here.

1 Like

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by UPANDAN: 11:49pm On Dec 19, 2019
LALA abeg come see something.
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by Biggers82(m): 11:59pm On Dec 19, 2019
Continue asking for it name ,that Snake will soon wake up and do the needful to you soon
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by citruslimited(m): 12:08am On Dec 20, 2019
Its a phyton snake
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by Dannonye(f): 12:11am On Dec 20, 2019
Kreamie:
It’s actually a harmless non venomous snake that feeds on rodents, roads and frogs but unfortunately for it, it was hatched/born in Nigeria where all snakes/reptiles are perceived as venomous.

Even the gentle giants (constrictors) are gruesomely killed. cry
Just like my dad,he believes not all reptiles harm
But geez,I hate them with every cell in my body
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by MrCork: 12:26am On Dec 20, 2019
lloydtruth:
The Snake I killed in my compound, who knows the Name?

NAME:

**snake in the monkey shadow**
angry
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by Joystark(f): 12:31am On Dec 20, 2019
Kreamie:
It’s actually a harmless non venomous snake that feeds on rodents, roads and frogs but unfortunately for it, it was hatched/born in Nigeria where all snakes/reptiles are perceived as venomous.

Even the gentle giants (constrictors) are gruesomely killed. cry

I don't understand all dz snake advocacy movement y'all championing on NL.

Even the bible say make we dey trample upon serpents n scorpions.

Do you have to wait to find out which is "venomous" n which isn't, before you trample? It's a split second decision oh.

1 Like

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by Nobody: 12:32am On Dec 20, 2019
etebefia:
Fly fly snake grin grin grin
.. na cobra be that one... not fly but kind of like jump/hop.
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 12:32am On Dec 20, 2019
Ask the mother.
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by Chiwesley1: 1:01am On Dec 20, 2019
Mamba
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by CaseSensitive(m): 1:23am On Dec 20, 2019
A female boomslang. I've once came across one back in secondary school days. Very shy snake and will always avoid confrontation but when threatened and if you're not careful, what it will do to you won't be out of place in a horror movie

1 Like

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by supercase1(m): 1:32am On Dec 20, 2019
That snake was sent from your village people to cut off your destiny grin
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by stefanwolf1: 2:06am On Dec 20, 2019
it's a cobra
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by Bolaji299(m): 2:10am On Dec 20, 2019
Boomslang is dangerous. Very hard to kill cos of their speed.
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by Captaincee(m): 2:59am On Dec 20, 2019
I don't know the name but it is completely venom less, it feeds mainly on rodents and insects.
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by ifaaiy: 3:01am On Dec 20, 2019
Agwo green
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by cosycee(m): 3:08am On Dec 20, 2019
Theres a brown mamba too tho [quote author=etebefia post=85051279][/quote]
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by Tedassie(m): 3:10am On Dec 20, 2019
African black mamba
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by Lachynos2k2(m): 3:22am On Dec 20, 2019
@Op .. you must be a super fast and agile guy to be able to kill this snake.
The snake can run for Africa in 100m race.

2 Likes

Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by urchman23: 3:24am On Dec 20, 2019
Shakespeare
Re: The Snake I Killed In My Compound, Who Knows The Name? by Nobody: 3:34am On Dec 20, 2019
Non venomous snake. It is a good source of protein in my tribe[color=#990000][/color]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Snake Swallowing Another Snake In Enugu (Photos) / Top Five Nigerian Scientists And Their Great Inventions / "Human-sized" Fish At Apo Junction In Abuja. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.