Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,894 members, 7,824,746 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! (39340 Views)

Lady Damages Her Apartment After Landlord Refused To Refund Her Caution Fee / Help My Land Lady Give Me 3 Months Quit Notice While My Rent Is Till Running / Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by WAECMATHEMATICS: 9:20am On Dec 20, 2019
fergie001:
WAECMATHEMATICS......My family has been in similar position. The tenant will do nothing, tbh. It will still end in another sort of legal tussle whilst he remains there.

No gentleman sth again. He knows what he is doing, he wants to remain there and find some thing to institute another case that will prolong his stay.

Take out his power firstly, he remains
Take out his door, yes....you will fix it when he leaves.

Give him two weeks....tell your family to pay police officers then use thugs...yes thugs, take his stuffs to the streets, na so our own take go. (WE ARE VERY GOOD CHRISTIANS TOO).

Wow! Really?

Thanks for this.
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by jaxxy(m): 9:22am On Dec 20, 2019
WAECMATHEMATICS:

Thanks for your contribution. I love this.

However pls if hes a family man be considerate of the timing and condition, I don’t know his family situation bt give him a forceful ejection notice so he will get serious and leave within a reasonable time. He cannot stay there without paying indefinitely till whenever he likes.

Be sure he is not taking ur goodwill for granted is my concern here.

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by WAECMATHEMATICS: 9:22am On Dec 20, 2019
styless:
Somebody's name is Okongwu and you still went and rented an apartment to him shocked

grin

But there are many very good Ibo tenants.

2 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by molusesi83(m): 9:22am On Dec 20, 2019
Go to Igbosere high court mediation center and show them the agreement u both signed.... They will direct u to court when to get ur court injection... The. U have power to do anything

2 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by NotMyType: 9:23am On Dec 20, 2019
sinaj:
Remove the roof
Exactly what happens in the north
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by seunak2016: 9:24am On Dec 20, 2019
@op go to police station 5and report, just bribe those police with like 20k or thereabouts, they will help you vacate the idiot
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by bigiyaro(m): 9:24am On Dec 20, 2019
chival:
He probably doesn't have the funds to rent a new apartment yet. ñHe'll leave eventually. Home owners should learn to have compassion for their tenants. The state of affairs in the countryghk is causing millions to suffer untold hardship.
go back to ur village nah, na by force to stay Lagos? so property owners should starve with their own families?

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by WAECMATHEMATICS: 9:25am On Dec 20, 2019
wristbangle:

As funny as this may sound, this is one the best way to boot out a tyrant tenant.

My family had done something similar in the past to eject a repulsive tenant by removing his apartment roof, doors, windows and other thing to make him inconvenient. Nobody told him, he left like he is being pursued from dream.

I'm beginning to see sense in this. But we'll have to do this in his presence.
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by luminouz(m): 9:27am On Dec 20, 2019
chival:
He probably doesn't have the funds to rent a new apartment yet. He'll leave eventually. Home owners should learn to have compassion for their tenants. The state of affairs in the country is causing millions to suffer untold hardship.

What are you saying?
Compassion for 9 months ain't enough?

undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by chukwuibuipob: 9:27am On Dec 20, 2019
WAECMATHEMATICS:

If we contact soldiers to evict him, don’t you think that's unlawful?
Wic one is unlawful undecided angry sad ? U have done everything unda the law to evict him,but the useless thing refused to pack out.It is NOT a government house.Wish i'm ur family memba,dat Ediot for don go since.Ur fada house is NOT IDP camp/charity house.

3 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by tomju(m): 9:27am On Dec 20, 2019
Go to a High Court and submit the processes reached at Mediation centre. They will send the court sheriff to serve him documents. After that, if he does not vacate the court will go and take possession of the house and hand over to you. The law does not empower you to forcefully take possession of your house.! I'm sure you already know this, that is why you went to mediation centre in the first place.

2 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by OLUJOSHINS(m): 9:30am On Dec 20, 2019
You have a legal right to remove the roof of that apartment (since he is no more a legal tenant)

Remove it in the name of "working in the property".

If you can't remove the roof, remove all the windows & doors.

Note: you must carry out this action while he is actually at home OR you can get a video footage of your guerrilla warfare act while carrying it out. This will act as your alibi incase he decides to turn the table on you.

Run this by a good lawyer before taking action

These ideas are just off the top of my head.

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Digitalstarlite: 9:30am On Dec 20, 2019
WAECMATHEMATICS:
Good day all.

Please, I need your advice on one wicked stubborn tenant. My family gave this our tenant a quick notice since February this year 2019. As a matter of fact, the tenant and our family went to Lagos Arbitration and Mediation Centre. It was at the Mediation Centre that we both reached an agreement that he should leave our apartment.

So, we gave him 6 months quit notice in February, 2019. His previous house rent elapsed that same February, 2019. So, for the 6 months quit notice we gave him, he didn't pay any money. He actually said he would need 6 months to search for another apartment at that meeting we had with him at the Mediation Centre in February. So, we gave him the 6 months for free.

The 6 months we gave him elapsed at the end of August, 2019. When the 6 months elapsed, he refused to vacate the apartment. So, my family went back to the Lagos Mediation Centre to complain. The Mediation Centre sent him (the tenant) a letter giving him 7 days ultimatum to vacate the apartment. At the end of the 7 days, this man refused to leave. My family complained again to the Mediation Centre and they said they would look into it.

After another 3 months again by last November, 2019, this tenant refused to leave the apartment. My family went back again to the Lagos Mediation Centre and one of the officials there said "So, the man has not left the house since?". We responded yes. At the Mediation Centre there, they said something like they are incapacitated by the law to take any action.

This is December now going to an end. The tenant is still in the house. He has refused to vacate the apartment. It's about 10 months now living in our apartment without any payment. He has refused to leave.

The apartment is a 2 bedroom flat in Aguda Surulere, Lagos. The tenant's name is Mr Chigozie Okongwu James.

We don't want to take law into our hands as it seems there is no solution to the problem through the Lagos Mediation Centre. It's about 10 months now!

What can my family do to get the man ejected from the apartment? Your advice are welcomed.

Almost d same tin happening to me around February we gave d Igbo man quick notice acting James bond. I know say na Fashola cos dis rubbish in Lagos...I hope d mad man leaves one day...even d court one wud go to no dey help
...useless Lagos government...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by noblejking: 9:31am On Dec 20, 2019
Please give us the full story. Why quit notice in the first place because we also have wicked landlords as well.
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by FreeSoworeNow: 9:32am On Dec 20, 2019
[s][quote author=RamseyBolton post=85069255][/quote][/s]
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by fergie001: 9:32am On Dec 20, 2019
WAECMATHEMATICS:

Wow! Really?

Thanks for this.
Always welcome.

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Doktajay5: 9:33am On Dec 20, 2019
WAECMATHEMATICS:
Good day all.

Please, I need your advice on one wicked stubborn tenant. My family gave this our tenant a quick notice since February this year 2019. As a matter of fact, the tenant and our family went to Lagos Arbitration and Mediation Centre. It was at the Mediation Centre that we both reached an agreement that he should leave our apartment.

So, we gave him 6 months quit notice in February, 2019. His previous house rent elapsed that same February, 2019. So, for the 6 months quit notice we gave him, he didn't pay any money. He actually said he would need 6 months to search for another apartment at that meeting we had with him at the Mediation Centre in February. So, we gave him the 6 months for free.

The 6 months we gave him elapsed at the end of August, 2019. When the 6 months elapsed, he refused to vacate the apartment. So, my family went back to the Lagos Mediation Centre to complain. The Mediation Centre sent him (the tenant) a letter giving him 7 days ultimatum to vacate the apartment. At the end of the 7 days, this man refused to leave. My family complained again to the Mediation Centre and they said they would look into it.

After another 3 months again by last November, 2019, this tenant refused to leave the apartment. My family went back again to the Lagos Mediation Centre and one of the officials there said "So, the man has not left the house since?". We responded yes. At the Mediation Centre there, they said something like they are incapacitated by the law to take any action.

This is December now going to an end. The tenant is still in the house. He has refused to vacate the apartment. It's about 10 months now living in our apartment without any payment. He has refused to leave.

The apartment is a 2 bedroom flat in Aguda Surulere, Lagos. The tenant's name is Mr Chigozie Okongwu James.

We don't want to take law into our hands as it seems there is no solution to the problem through the Lagos Mediation Centre. It's about 10 months now!

What can my family do to get the man ejected from the apartment? Your advice are welcomed.

U guys really have time and energy for a back and Fort movement.

who said there's no solution to this very simply moi moi case??

Were the quit notices documented?
Also I believe there are records of the matter at the lagos abbitration Centre.

If so... Kindly go to area command (Area F) in Ikeja adjacent to LASUTH, Opposite police college.

Make an official report, then request for police.

Go to the house, break the doors, throw every damn pin out to the road not in the compound.

Keep the police there sitted till the idiot comes back incase he is not around, on sighting him, arrest him and get the rent for the months after the 6 months given to him.

The tenant is a big idiot who may be praying on u all ignorance and meekness.

Good luck

2 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Jaqenhghar: 9:33am On Dec 20, 2019
chival:
He probably doesn't have the funds to rent a new apartment yet. He'll leave eventually. Home owners should learn to have compassion for their tenants. The state of affairs in the country is causing millions to suffer untold hardship.
Home owners are not homeless shelters. They are in business to make profits. If every tenant behaved that way, that man won't have a place to stay. Thays selfishness at its finest

2 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by merits(m): 9:35am On Dec 20, 2019
chival:
keep quiet for 10 months haba! they have tried enough for her.what of if that is the only way to sustain the family responsibilities?you! can you leave your salary for 10 months bcuz the organization you're working with makes no profits? "wetin concern agbero with over load"
we should just stop blaming government for everything, that's why Nigeria refused to grow till date.

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by OLUJOSHINS(m): 9:35am On Dec 20, 2019
Venerable612:

INSTRUCT A LAWYER

If the value of the Rent is less than #10M, proceed to the Magistrate Court. You can institute an action for ejection and serve it on the Tenant.

If the Value of the Rent is above #10M, then you must proceed to the High Court immediately to the same as above.

Note: on both cases, you will normally take a Writ to enforce the judgment of the court on ejection. With that, the Sherrifs in the court will be the one to come eject him from your house themselves.

ANYWAY - that’s if you want to do it legally. Otumokpo, Ogun lakaaye or any traditional means may be a faster and cheaper means grin. Just kidding.

On whose authority do you speak?
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Gandollaar(f): 9:36am On Dec 20, 2019
WAECMATHEMATICS:

This might degenerate into fight and with fight, anything can happen. We're being careful.

Thanks.
Yea. You are guys are so civilized it calls for emulation, kudos.

However, if all fails, then let's roll up our sleeves and confront it.

2 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by denitro(m): 9:38am On Dec 20, 2019
You are going it the wrong way.
What you need to do is get a lawyer and get the lawyer to go to court and get the necessary papers for eviction,
you will then be required to serve the tenant and then get the police to act on the court order.
The tenant might be given 1+ months to search for an apartment.
once the period elapses, the police will force their way into your apartment and then using
video and photography evidence, catalogue everything in the tenant's apartment.
The tenant's property will then be taken to the station and kept pending when the tenant is ready to collect them.
That's how the law works.
You have to convince the court to get the police to forcefully evict.

2 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Funkybabee(f): 9:38am On Dec 20, 2019
Area boys will be faster
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by NEIGHBOUR(m): 9:39am On Dec 20, 2019
otuekong1:
I hate to sound like this but its kinda a norm amongst some greedy Igbo's to rent your house and refuse to pay,he(tenant) is building his house that he intends packing into
I am speaking from a real experiences I had
***The options you have are:
1.Involve the police
2.Disconnect every disconnectable(roof,water,power,
3.Report him to his pastor
4.Buy a good padlock n lock them in/ out
5.pray cause the tenant might be using JAy Z on you

That is the major reason landlords in Lagos dont want to give their houses to them. The landlord will enjoy only that first payment. After is story. Terrible lots.

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by WAECMATHEMATICS: 9:40am On Dec 20, 2019
okorotalkative:

compassion after 10months? Haba! I'm sure he will will be defaulting all sorts of billz since they ask him to leave e.g Electricity and stuffs. Is the landlord not also in the same country facing hardship..

He has not been paying any bill again since that February when he was given quit notice.
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Doktajay5: 9:41am On Dec 20, 2019
chival:

If this is his case really, don't u think there ishould be an approach to it other than making trouble with ur home owners.

Come to think of it, a full Yr has gone and a tentant did pay shi shi to landlord all in the bid to get him out, so where did he keep his income for the year under review?

I mean, what's your point here? Like they should allow him stay the next year? Amidst making trouble with them? Or didn't u read the post? U can u do what u r suggesting?? #sighs

They r just joking with that dude seriously...

2 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by WAECMATHEMATICS: 9:43am On Dec 20, 2019
chukwuibuipob:
police are too soft in mata like this..If he must use police, dnt go to Surulere own.Waka go Yaba,mushin,Atea G/F.Tip dem well. No time

Thanks. Noted
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by stephnie44(f): 9:43am On Dec 20, 2019
Gandollaar:
Ok not even that he has no money. If it's a bungalow, pls remove his side of the roof and see if he tries to repair it. If he does, then get anyone he brings for the job arrested by the police since you guys want to play it civil.
my dear don't remove d roof.we once had a tenant like dis his rent was due for 2 yrs.mediation centre didn't work out just like u did.we removed his door thinking he would leave d man called d police on us ND we were told to fix d door.man was bragging dat we can't evict him ND dat he would leave wen he likes.u can imagine d pain.we got a lawyer though we spent money.one morning ND so God answer our prayer.lawyer cam wit court papers ND mobile men ND threw d man's stuffs out of d house.man started beggin.last last he was out of d house.so I advice u don't take laws into it hands.but follow due process

2 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Gandollaar(f): 9:45am On Dec 20, 2019
helinues:

Everything about you is gra gra.

Hope you are not like that in real life sha.. embarassed embarassed
Lol...if you don't play football, you can't coach the game. I am a toughie but sometimes I wished I was dumb.

But you be rest assured that anywhere wey I jam you, you go collect.

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Doktajay5: 9:47am On Dec 20, 2019
otuekong1:
I hate to sound like this but its kinda a norm amongst some greedy Igbo's to rent your house and refuse to pay,he(tenant) is building his house that he intends packing into
I am speaking from a real experiences I had
***The options you have are:
1.Involve the police
2.Disconnect every disconnectable(roof,water,power,
3.Report him to his pastor
4.Buy a good padlock n lock them in/ out
5.pray cause the tenant might be using JAy Z on you

Ogbeni keep shut... Just shut up.... U don't tribalise issues of house rent between tenants and landlords... It happens across tribes.... The one my father threw out last month is yoruba. We only gave him 6 months and he was asking for more, we threw him out fast no time....

So simply approach ur problems with the appropriate solution and stop the tribal blackmail at the slightest opportunity....

I am. Igbo, a yoruba man is my landlord and I pay him even B4 end of rent...

My father is a landlord too in my state, my brother is too... And mixed tribe live in out house... So just shut the bleep up OK...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled / Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment / 10 Object-shaped Buildings From Around The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.