Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,054 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! - Properties (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! (39233 Views)

Lady Damages Her Apartment After Landlord Refused To Refund Her Caution Fee / Help My Land Lady Give Me 3 Months Quit Notice While My Rent Is Till Running / Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by WAECMATHEMATICS: 10:29am On Dec 20, 2019
tomju:
Go to a High Court and submit the processes reached at Mediation centre. They will send the court sheriff to serve him documents. After that, if he does not vacate the court will go and take possession of the house and hand over to you. The law does not empower you to forcefully take possession of your house.! I'm sure you already know this, that is why you went to mediation centre in the first place.

Thanks for this. Well noted.
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by tagborume: 10:30am On Dec 20, 2019
WAECMATHEMATICS:

This might degenerate into fight and when fight erupts, anything can happen. We are being careful.

Thanks for your advice.

He can not sue you.
He already disregarded the order of the mediation centre 3 times.
You are only disregarding it once don't be afraid.

Get a good camera man and send him a reminder of the mediation center notice. Make sure the camera man capture him receiving the notice and tell him verbay that if he does nt pack out in two weeks you will forcefully eject him.

On the day of eviction, carefully pack his things out and carefully arrange them in a safe place and cover them to shield them from sun or rain and lockup the apartment.

Make sure u cover his gesture and actions. They are good evidence of intention in the law court.

2 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by oodua1stson: 10:30am On Dec 20, 2019
WAECMATHEMATICS:
Good day all.

Please, I need your advice on one wicked stubborn tenant. My family gave this our tenant a quick notice since February this year 2019. As a matter of fact, the tenant and our family went to Lagos Arbitration and Mediation Centre. It was at the Mediation Centre that we both reached an agreement that he should leave our apartment.

So, we gave him 6 months quit notice in February, 2019. His previous house rent elapsed that same February, 2019. So, for the 6 months quit notice we gave him, he didn't pay any money. He actually said he would need 6 months to search for another apartment at that meeting we had with him at the Mediation Centre in February. So, we gave him the 6 months for free.

The 6 months we gave him elapsed at the end of August, 2019. When the 6 months elapsed, he refused to vacate the apartment. So, my family went back to the Lagos Mediation Centre to complain. The Mediation Centre sent him (the tenant) a letter giving him 7 days ultimatum to vacate the apartment. At the end of the 7 days, this man refused to leave. My family complained again to the Mediation Centre and they said they would look into it.

After another 3 months again by last November, 2019, this tenant refused to leave the apartment. My family went back again to the Lagos Mediation Centre and one of the officials there said "So, the man has not left the house since?". We responded yes. At the Mediation Centre there, they said something like they are incapacitated by the law to take any action.

This is December now going to an end. The tenant is still in the house. He has refused to vacate the apartment. It's about 10 months now living in our apartment without any payment. He has refused to leave.

The apartment is a 2 bedroom flat in Aguda Surulere, Lagos. The tenant's name is Mr Chigozie Okongwu James.

We don't want to take law into our hands as it seems there is no solution to the problem through the Lagos Mediation Centre. It's about 10 months now!

What can my family do to get the man ejected from the apartment? Your advice are welcomed.

all these long talk when you can just jazz him and he will pack out of your house within a week .

You see. Your ancestors gace you everything you'd need in life but you refused to embrace it

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by mukthar2000(m): 10:30am On Dec 20, 2019
When I was reading, may mind keep praying that I wish the should not be a Igbo guy not until I come across the name Chigozie Okongwu James. U are ur families have enter one chance if u are not very strong enough to handle that Igbo guy ooo

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Obason22(m): 10:32am On Dec 20, 2019
When things was going well between u nd ur tenant, nobody knew abt it o. now u want to tell d world that ur tenant is bad and wicked, if i may ask how many yrs have ur tenant chigozie spent in ur hasu aside of d 10 months and how much is d cost of ur rentage now and then.
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by oodua1stson: 10:33am On Dec 20, 2019
chival:
He probably doesn't have the funds to rent a new apartment yet. He'll leave eventually. Home owners should learn to have compassion for their tenants. The state of affairs in the country is causing millions to suffer untold hardship.
people like you should not talk in public cos you might get slapped silly.

If he cant pay for a flat why cant he move into a room? I once had financial problem and I moved from a flat to a room and I did not die. House is an investment. Some landlords depend on the rent money to survive. Will you allow someone come into your shop and pick stuffs for free and you'll let him leave because the country is hard? See wh, if I swear for you

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Paseus(m): 10:33am On Dec 20, 2019
styless:
Somebody's name is Okongwu and you still went and rented an apartment to him shocked
Guy !!!

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by comrChris(m): 10:36am On Dec 20, 2019
dominique:
The op should have excluded the tenant's name in his post
l think he did that on purpose
Which ever way, the purpose has been achieved, it has resorted to name calling.

I'm yet to see those Lagos landlords that don't like renting out their house to igbos, because I have seen so many compounds being occupied by Igbo's, my brother's compound is about 6 flats n only one Yoruba in the boys quarter n no body has come to complain of anything..

Op, do whatever you can do to get him out of your house, and make sure its done legally

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by bukatyne(f): 10:37am On Dec 20, 2019
our9ja:
If Anyone is seeing this I would like a suggestion...I’m having same problem now and I don’t want to mention tribe .This particular tenant is owing 5 months in 2 bed room apartment in Benin city.Whenever we call and ask for rent he will say complain that he does not have a Job that he can not go and steal .

What kind of entitled people are these?

What is your business if he is jobless or were you the one that made him jobless?

Ask him for a payment plan (monthly, quarterly, etc) for starters especially if he has been a good tenant prior to now.

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Venerable612(m): 10:37am On Dec 20, 2019
Darevofpeace:

Your level of exposure in legal terms is quite amazing.

I celebrate your wisdom and intelligence.

If you were a female,I would get marry to you tomorrow without any relationship nor proposal.

grin grin grin.

Thank you sir.

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by ChiefSweetus: 10:39am On Dec 20, 2019
chival:
He probably doesn't have the funds to rent a new apartment yet. He'll leave eventually. Home owners should learn to have compassion for their tenants. The state of affairs in the country is causing millions to suffer untold hardship.

So landlords who probably invested their life's blood and have property as their only source of income should die of hunger for strangers? Entitlement of the highest order.

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by shomutuski(m): 10:43am On Dec 20, 2019
flyingdutchman:

You are a very wicked person.

And a fool too!!!
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by BLEMOSEDU: 10:45am On Dec 20, 2019
Doktajay5:

Ogbeni keep shut... Just shut up.... U don't tribalise issues of house rent between tenants and landlords... It happens across tribes.... The one my father threw out last month is yoruba. We only gave him 6 months and he was asking for more, we threw him out fast no time....

So simply approach ur problems with the appropriate solution and stop the tribal blackmail at the slightest opportunity....

I am. Igbo, a yoruba man is my landlord and I pay him even B4 end of rent...

My father is a landlord too in my state, my brother is too... And mixed tribe live in out house... So just shut the bleep up OK...
You dey mind them?
All the people that went tribal on this issues including the op are slowpokes, the issue of landlord tenant wahala is usually personal has nothing to do with tribe,, but trust our resident tribalistic idiots to use it to score cheap shots, pray tell where do all the millions of igbos in Lagos live?
You would think they all live under the bridge because according to our resident tribalists, landlords in Lagos don't rent houses to igbos,
Even while many of the landlords themselves are igbos.
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Bahamas95(m): 10:45am On Dec 20, 2019
Why he go pack out when una dey give am ajebuta approach? Black man need strong thing, and it's obvious that man is very stubborn. He can't try that rubbish with everybody, jaguda get oga.

I am not tribalistic but I must say this. I can't do any business with an Igbo man, not even in my dream. I haved lived in South West before and didn't have any problem with Yorubas because they are straight forward unlike Igbos. Even Hausas don't have problem if not for BH wey don spoil things

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by WAECMATHEMATICS: 10:45am On Dec 20, 2019
stephnie44:
my dear don't remove d roof.we once had a tenant like dis his rent was due for 2 yrs.mediation centre didn't work out just like u did.we removed his door thinking he would leave d man called d police on us ND we were told to fix d door.man was bragging dat we can't evict him ND dat he would leave wen he likes.u can imagine d pain.we got a lawyer though we spent money.one morning ND so God answer our prayer.lawyer cam wit court papers ND mobile men ND threw d man's stuffs out of d house.man started beggin.last last he was out of d house.so I advice u don't take laws into it hands.but follow due process

Thanks for this.
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by oodua1stson: 10:46am On Dec 20, 2019
This topic just de make me angry sha.

So one bastard will want to live in my house for free? Dem never born am

2 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Nobody: 10:46am On Dec 20, 2019
Dear OP,
You must take this fight to that FOOOL if he thinks he's tough and smart.
I will tell you what I did to some of my stupid former tenants, that made them run out themselves...
1. Run a pipe to their apartment and release water inside
2. If your house is storey and he stays on the ground floor, get a plumber to block the chamber just after his apartment.
3. Do same as above with the kitchen and bathroom drains.
4. If your compound is fenced and gated, install an electronic access control at the pedastrian door with a card key, password or finger/eye identification device and grant access ONLY to Legal Tenants.
5. Disconnect utility water supply to his apartment and write to the PHCN guys to disconnect his apartment ONLY ON the grounds that there are some electrical defects identified and for safety reasons you have to take that action, they will usually cooperate. Ensure the wires are NEVER reconnected, including the generator wires.
6. Pour high concentrates of salty water into his gen set from time to time, or left-over petrol if he keeps one.
7. Get some street dudes to catch some live rodents and cockroaches for you (this should not be too difficult) and release everything into his apartment through the roof or the window net.
8. Refuses spread at his doormouth constantly will also increase his madness
9. Ostracize him in the compound and community, make sure from the youngest child to the oldest Adult knows he is owing rent.
10. Finally, raise a suspicion and petition him to the EFCC/F.SARS or NDLEA that you suspect him of some criminal behaviours.

Next year will really be tough with some stupid tenants that will refuse to pay, or even park out peacefully. What rubbish!
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by virago(f): 10:48am On Dec 20, 2019
chival:

So he's to keep living there without payment until he can raise money to move
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by WAECMATHEMATICS: 10:49am On Dec 20, 2019
oostin:
First of all, did an Arbitrator mediate over the proceedings at the mediation centre? Secondly, was there an Arbitral Award? If there was an Arbitral Award then get a lawyer to institute proceedings in court to enforce the Arbitral Award.

If there is no Arbitral Award then get a lawyer to serve him the necessary notices (in this case a Seven Days' Notice of Owner's Intention to Recover Possession) and thereafter evict him from the premises through the Magistrate Court.

Please do not under any circumstance try to evict him forcefully from the premises. The Lagos State Landlord and Tenant Law provides for damages to be awarded to the Tenant in a situation where the Landlord evicts him forcefully. It used to be N250,000 in the 2011 Law, I'm not sure how much it is now.

Oluwa ooo! undecided
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Davidzy23(m): 10:52am On Dec 20, 2019
[quote author=sinaj post=85062651]Remove the roof [/quote Oh.. my belle ooo
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by jakandeola(m): 10:54am On Dec 20, 2019
Nukilia:

Why are they giving others a bad name? Learnt landlords in Lagos hardly rent their houses out to the easterners. They claim after they pay their first year, they hardly pay for subsequent years...
remember wen am young we are to pack out in month end if u see how my dad was hurrying as d month start.did u 2 weeks before den we pack out. we clean d place too.is not fair.u be tenant today no mean say u no go be landlord tomorrow.

2 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Davidzy23(m): 10:54am On Dec 20, 2019
sinaj:
Remove the roof
oh my stomach oo

2 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by dobosky(m): 10:55am On Dec 20, 2019
My dear I was in Your shoe and this is how I solved the two situation in our house in Abuja.

1. After two years of none payments by a tenant, I took the matter to court as he refuse to honour all the quit notices. My dear the court process wasn't a joke even at a point I almost gave up, but I was determined move on. After going back and forth with the case, the judgement came after another two years making 4 years in total, and this time the man has left. The judgment was in my favour and I tracked him down, the court pack all his things and I got even times 2 of the money. But patient is key in court process.
2. Another tenant did similar thing but this time I wasn't ready to go through the long process again. After exhausting all the notice option, and owners intention to recover property, I wrote them final letter that I am doing renovation starting from there apt still they didn't move. So one morning I took hammer and tools and removed their windows, call carpenter to start with their roof. They called police and arrested me, but to cut the story short. I was instructed to fixed everything back and they made the man sign undertaking when he will move for me to start the renovation. So I won at the end cos he left base on that undertaking.
My dear we all have different ways of handling matters cos Tenants right is even as big as the landlord. Peace and love.

WAECMATHEMATICS:
Good day all.

Please, I need your advice on one wicked stubborn tenant. My family gave this our tenant a quick notice since February this year 2019. As a matter of fact, the tenant and our family went to Lagos Arbitration and Mediation Centre. It was at the Mediation Centre that we both reached an agreement that he should leave our apartment.

So, we gave him 6 months quit notice in February, 2019. His previous house rent elapsed that same February, 2019. So, for the 6 months quit notice we gave him, he didn't pay any money. He actually said he would need 6 months to search for another apartment at that meeting we had with him at the Mediation Centre in February. So, we gave him the 6 months for free.

The 6 months we gave him elapsed at the end of August, 2019. When the 6 months elapsed, he refused to vacate the apartment. So, my family went back to the Lagos Mediation Centre to complain. The Mediation Centre sent him (the tenant) a letter giving him 7 days ultimatum to vacate the apartment. At the end of the 7 days, this man refused to leave. My family complained again to the Mediation Centre and they said they would look into it.

After another 3 months again by last November, 2019, this tenant refused to leave the apartment. My family went back again to the Lagos Mediation Centre and one of the officials there said "So, the man has not left the house since?". We responded yes. At the Mediation Centre there, they said something like they are incapacitated by the law to take any action.

This is December now going to an end. The tenant is still in the house. He has refused to vacate the apartment. It's about 10 months now living in our apartment without any payment. He has refused to leave.

The apartment is a 2 bedroom flat in Aguda Surulere, Lagos. The tenant's name is Mr Chigozie Okongwu James.

We don't want to take law into our hands as it seems there is no solution to the problem through the Lagos Mediation Centre. It's about 10 months now!

What can my family do to get the man ejected from the apartment? Your advice are welcomed.

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by WAECMATHEMATICS: 10:57am On Dec 20, 2019
oodua1stson:
all these long talk when you can just jazz him and he will pack out of your house within a week .

You see. Your ancestors gace you everything you'd need in life but you refused to embrace it

grin
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by vchykp(m): 10:58am On Dec 20, 2019
chival:

You have no idea how it feels.. My own tenant has refused to pay or leave, hw does compassion solve this??

People r just wicked dr

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Jalabase(m): 10:59am On Dec 20, 2019
WAECMATHEMATICS:
Good day all.

Op aswear you are dulling.

Go to d nearest police station. Tell them about everything and carry like 5k cash. U go see say Nah dat same day hin go pack. Infact nah d police go pack everything out for am.
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Bigblessed: 11:00am On Dec 20, 2019
Including home owners too because they have their own challenges.

At least if you cannot pay all as usual, be dropping it little by little then the own will understand.

chival:

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Malawian(m): 11:00am On Dec 20, 2019
Finding an apartment in Aguda is easier said than done. Imagine one of my apartment there (mini flat) became vacant earlier this year, i called an agent and asked to rent it our for 350k per year, can you believe this agent told me he will find someone to pay 400k per year for it. I humored him and ask him to try, under 4 days, there was someone who paid completely the 400k for it right away. I don't think it is even about the money, finding an apartment there is not a child's play.
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by ibinaboonline: 11:01am On Dec 20, 2019
No be joke o. Na so dem dey do am
meum:

You got me laughing grin
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by WAECMATHEMATICS: 11:03am On Dec 20, 2019
dobosky:

My dear I was in Your shoe and this is how I solved the two situation in our house in Abuja.

1. After two years of none payments by a tenant, I took the matter to court as he refuse to honour all the quit notices. My dear the court process wasn't a joke even at a point I almost gave up, but I was determined move on. After going back and forth with the case, the judgement came after another two years making 4 years in total, and this time the man has left. The judgment was in my favour and I tracked him down, the court pack all his things and I got even times 2 of the money. But patient is key in court process.
2. Another tenant did similar thing but this time I wasn't ready to go through the long process again. After exhausting all the notice option, and owners intention to recover property, I wrote them final letter that I am doing renovation starting from there apt still they didn't move. So one morning I took hammer and tools and removed their windows, call carpenter to start with their roof. They called police and arrested me, but to cut the story short. I was instructed to fixed everything back and they made the man sign undertaking when he will move for me to start the renovation. So I won at the end cos he left base on that undertaking.
My dear we all have different ways of handling matters cos Tenants right is even as big as the landlord. Peace and love.

Thanks for your contributions.
Re: Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! by Nobody: 11:05am On Dec 20, 2019
WAECMATHEMATICS:

Thanks. There are actually many good Igbo tenants. It's this one that's a thief in disguise.

Thank you for this reply....it shows you have a great exposure!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Building Collapses At Lagos Island, Lagos State / The Oldest Estate In Anambra State Capital Awka(udoka) / The N589.3M House In Omole As Valued By LASG For Land Use Charge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.