Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,593 members, 7,955,181 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:56 PM

Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? (10241 Views)

Saraki: My Original Sin Was Opposing Muslim/Muslim Ticket In The APC / Buhari, Tinubu, Amaechi Meet USA Secretary Of States, Kerry (Photo) / Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by stranger: 9:15am On Dec 01, 2010
@DapoBear

The late sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo in his books Voice of Wisdom and Path to Nigerian Greatness noted that the evils of foreign rule may be far less than the evils which may be perpetrated under self-governance by the affluent natives or the local moguls who, if left to their own devices may constitute themselves into class oligarchy and secure the supreme power for themselves in the form of tyranny and arbitrary dictatorship. He stated further that native tyranny and oppression will become more pronounced when a cabal or group of feudal lords seize political power and refuse to hand over to others outside his own hierarchy. For Chief Awolowo, the inability of a regime - civilian or military - to extricate itself from the 'sweet uses and chuckles' of power breeds tenacity of office. He defined this as a 'political monstrosity whose characteristics are inordinate and shameless love of power for its own sake, '

Exactly what PDP is. ACN should learn from PDP. Biuld it up and change the game afterwards. The fact is that as preparations for the 2011 national general elections take shape, one thing seems almost certain - the political entrepreneurs that produced General Obasanjo as the President of the country in 1999 and 2003 and Yar'Adua in 2007 would most likely produce the next president. Not many of the politicians in the opposition group recognize power as the essence of the political game. They often define their roles in the political process too narrowly sometimes on principles and sometimes based on misplaced priorities and self-interest. A classical example is the failure of the Alliance for Democracy, and by extension the ACN in past national general elections. The leaders of the party, because of their misplaced priorities and self interest, lost woefully to the Peoples Democratic Party. Greed and ethnic sentments were the main determinants of their political moves, they forgot that the political game is played by political parties and that individuals are only agents of the party

It is important to try to gain some insight into how the ruling class in the country perceive politics and power. Primarily because the political class evolve largely from a military system, politics is seen more as a battle of supremacy where laws and rules are only applied to losers in the political game. The losers of any war are often accused and/or tried for the same offence that the winner also commits. Similarly, a coup d'etat is only a crime if it was unsuccessful. The Ngige saga in Anambra and the Omisore case may be explained by this principle. For the ruling political leaders in the country, it is a supremacy game, and quite unfortunate that things turn out the way they did without a clear loser to punish. Mustapha and Bamayi are the unfortunate scapegoats of the Abacha government, just as Umaru Dikko and others were the unfortunate scapegoats of the Shagari government and Afolabi and others are the much needed prove of the anti-corruption campaign of the present government. There is absolutely no intention to convict anyone because they all still remain potential Presidents, Ministers, Governors, Senators, etc

In the end, The important point is to realise that good talk, principled actions and sound ideologies are not suff~cient to make realistic political impact in the real Nigeria. Money and election malpractices will continue to be the dominant factors in the nation's electoral system as long as the people are poor and lacks the capacity to make effective demand from government.
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by DapoBear(m): 9:53am On Dec 01, 2010
@fstranger: It is hard for me to understand how what I've said conflicts with your post. The lesson we have learned from the PDP and indeed Nigeria itself is that this is purely a game of power. Nothing more, nothing less. Have I led you to believe that I'm using sentiment rather than practicality to formulate my positions?
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by stranger: 9:59am On Dec 01, 2010
^^^

Your support for ACN seems sentimental to me
You seem to believe that some how ACN can win the presidency, which is just IMO impossible at this time

For them to have a shot, they have to be as practical as the PDP
Until then, they will continue to be irrelevant natianally
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by DapoBear(m): 10:04am On Dec 01, 2010
I can never be a PDP man, though. I am ACN and unwilling to change teams. Unless they become despotic like the PDP.

OK, aside from my choice of a party that isn't in your opinion strong enough, how have I been sentimental?  smiley
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by bignaija(m): 11:41am On Dec 01, 2010
politics
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by Pukkah: 12:44pm On Dec 01, 2010
stranger:

^^^

Your support for ACN seems sentimental to me
You seem to believe that some how ACN can win the presidency, which is just IMO impossible at this time

For them to have a shot, they have to be as practical as the PDP
Until then, they will continue to be irrelevant natianally

Have you considered the possibility of Jonathan Goodluck running on the platform of ACN with Ribadu as his running mate?
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by stranger: 1:15pm On Dec 01, 2010
Pukkah:

Have you considered the possibility of Jonathan Goodluck running on the platform of ACN with Ribadu as his running mate?

Very good idea, if the votes would count and the people voting all live in Lagos, Abuja, PH, Kano, Kaduna, Ibadan and they all read SR
As long as money and election malpractices continue to be the dominant factors in the nation's electoral system and as long as the people are poor and lack the capacity to make effective demand from government, that idea will never fly.
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by Pukkah: 2:50pm On Dec 01, 2010
stranger:

Very good idea, if the votes would count and the people voting all live in Lagos, Abuja, PH, Kano, Kaduna, Ibadan and they all read SR
As long as money and election malpractices continue to be the dominant factors in the nation's electoral system and as long as the people are poor and lack the capacity to make effective demand from government, that idea will never fly.

Let's watch as events unfold and all these fluid political movements/alignments take shape.
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by Kobojunkie: 3:13pm On Dec 01, 2010
edeal247:

Buhari/oshiomole or a prominent igbo man is a better combination.

Has Oshiomole completed his work in his state? Why remove him from where he "seems" to be working still to place him where he probably will have no noticeable impact? Same question to those who continue to suggest Fashola be on the ballot. The man has yet to actually complete the work he promised he would and we are already suggesting taking him elsewhere.

Pukkah:

What difference would that make? The man is currently president and still NOTHING. What has switching to do with anything? Matter of fact, what would that change? Make him a better leader? What?
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by Defender1: 3:47pm On Dec 01, 2010
The bible says in Ecclesiastes 9:11, The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favor to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. [Ecclesiastes 9:11]

Stop looking for the best candidate, or the strongest candidate, stand up and vote for God's Candidate!!!
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by DapoBear(m): 3:58pm On Dec 01, 2010
^--- Atiku Abubakar is now "God's Candidate?"

Which God? You are quoting the Bible, but surely you are not referencing the God of that same book. I doubt Muslims view Atiku as anointed by God either, lol.

This is why I'm always suspicious of those who try to mix religion and politics.
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by Pukkah: 4:38pm On Dec 01, 2010
Defender1:

The bible says in Ecclesiastes 9:11, The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favor to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. [Ecclesiastes 9:11]

Stop looking for the best candidate, or the strongest candidate, stand up and vote for God's Candidate!!!

Please stop ridiculing God's name by dragging it into the murky water of politics. Is God not constant on the side of all men? Or is he a partial God? So what do we expect to see from a God's candidate, if such exists? Since God created all of us how come he is not making His candidate known to all of us so that we'd all vote for him on the election day or may be we won't even need to vote at all.
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by Missy85(f): 4:58pm On Dec 01, 2010
A Buhari/Yoruba (ACN) presidency will leave Igbos hopelessly deflated. I think politically, it will be a massive blow to their psyche, one that I doubt they will recover from easily.
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by birdman(m): 5:18pm On Dec 01, 2010
Tinubu has no criminal record:
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302110482.html
http://news.biafranigeriaworld.com/archive/ngguardian/2003/feb/10/article02.html

Can someone can supply a solid, verifiable link proving otherwise? TIA
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by naso2(m): 6:17pm On Dec 01, 2010
Missy85:

A Buhari/Yoruba (ACN) presidency will leave Igbos hopelessly deflated. I think politically, it will be a massive blow to their psyche, one that I doubt they will recover from easily.

you dont deny SS (GEJ) , the chance to lead the nation and at the same time leave the SE(igbos) hopelessly aliented in our political space. Nigeria cannot survive the collective agitation of the SE and SS at the same time. It is that simple.
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by jason12345: 6:25pm On Dec 01, 2010
na_so:

you dont deny SS (GEJ) , the chance to lead the nation and at t[b]he same time leave the SE(igbos) hopelessly aliented in our political space.[/b] Nigeria cannot survive the collective agitation of the SE and SS at the same time. It is that simple.

why don't they (se) form a political party to push their agenda? why wait for them (pdp or whichever party) to appoint or "hand-over"an igbo man? (with all due respect to the se)
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by DapoBear(m): 6:26pm On Dec 01, 2010
@na_so: Agreed. But if the PDP is the one responsible for doing this by knocking off GEJ and replacing him with Atiku and an Igbo, then we are not the ones doing the denying. The blame will belong fully to the PDP. Not the ACN.

If GEJ wins the primary, then I can see your perspective. But if Atiku/Igboman? Nobody can be angry at us for hunting that particular prey.
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by DapoBear(m): 6:29pm On Dec 01, 2010
birdman:

Tinubu has no criminal record:
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302110482.html
http://news.biafranigeriaworld.com/archive/ngguardian/2003/feb/10/article02.html

Can someone can supply a solid, verifiable link proving otherwise? TIA

Thanks for the links. I hope that Kobojunkie reads your post and comes to understand why innuendo and slander are harmful.
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by naso2(m): 6:44pm On Dec 01, 2010
DapoBear:

@na_so: Agreed. But if the PDP is the one responsible for doing this by knocking off GEJ and replacing him with Atiku and an Igbo, then we are not the ones doing the denying. The blame will belong fully to the PDP. Not the ACN.

If GEJ wins the primary, then I can see your perspective. But if Atiku/Igboman? Nobody can be angry at us for hunting that particular prey.

I think i agree with you here. If GEJ looses the PDP primaries, that in itself will heighten anti-pdp sentiments in the SS, the chances of the opposition therefore would be stronger.

The problem with nigeria/Nigerians is after just 1 yr into say a buhari/tinubu administration , the SE and SS would most likely mend fences, and cry marginalisation and voicing there desire to opt out of the nigerian project, or at least sustain hostilities in the SS, such that oil revenues will drop massively and put serious pressure on the system.
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by 1stestees(m): 6:50pm On Dec 01, 2010
BUHARI/ORJI UZOR KALU under an alliance of the parties (2011 - 2015).

ORJI Uzor Kalu / Any North Central man (2015 - 2023).

VOTE OUT PDP,
VOTE IN CHANGE.
VOTE IN BUHARI & KALU
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by olafolarin(m): 7:18pm On Dec 01, 2010
1st estees:

BUHARI/[b]ORJI UZOR KALU [/b]under an alliance of the parties (2011 - 2015).

cool cool cool/ Any North Central man (2015 - 2023).

VOTE OUT PDP,
VOTE IN CHANGE.
VOTE IN BUHARI & KALU Ole,
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by DapoBear(m): 7:24pm On Dec 01, 2010
na_so:

I think i agree with you here. If GEJ looses the PDP primaries, that in itself will heighten anti-pdp sentiments in the SS, the chances of the opposition therefore would be stronger.

The problem with nigeria/Nigerians is after just 1 yr into say a buhari/tinubu administration , the SE and SS would most likely mend fences, and cry marginalisation and voicing there desire to opt out of the nigerian project, or at least sustain hostilities in the SS, such that oil revenues will drop massively and put serious pressure on the system.

Indeed. But I am sure that the ACN recognizes this potential problem, and will address the needs of the SS and SE in order to prevent it. For example, completing certain federal projects in both regions, a slight increase in oil derivations that go to the SS. Moves like this will not kill the rest of the country, especially if we have good admistrators to grow the rest of the national economy.

It doesn't have to be a zero-sum game. Everyone can and should win if Buhari/ACN is voted in.

Anyway, we will cross that bridge if/when we get to it. But I think it is a problem that can be resolved leaving all sides mostly happy.
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by sbeezy8: 8:26pm On Dec 01, 2010
All that SS and SE will not like this and that is COMPLETE utter BS they SE and SS WANT THE SAME THING THE SW,and Middle belt want- [size=14pt]which is federalsim and 100% control of their own resources and regional based Governments.[/size]

OIL IS NOTHING, its northerners who brought the rest of the country on its knees depending on Delta Oil how many average people in the west even know wtf govt allocation is before their Govs chop their Money? SW is fine without any silly Allocation,

SW want federalism, I would rather have free election and fair election, using our OWN resources than to throw any votes Away because what ever region will be mad over not winning an election get da shiot outta here.
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by sbeezy8: 8:33pm On Dec 01, 2010
SW and federalsim- we dont care about allocation or even presidency right now It seems the SS and SE have been blinded by presidency they no longer want TRUE FEDERALISM.

sbeezy8:

[size=14pt]Constitution review: Fashola, Akande, others renew call for true federalism [/size]

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola; National Chairman of the Action Congress, Chief Bisi Akande; and a university lecturer, Prof. Ropo Sekoni, have restated the call for true federalism as the National Assembly intensifies efforts to amend the Constitution.

Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by sbeezy8: 8:56pm On Dec 01, 2010
Either way PDP is coming down FAST,

If Atiku emerges with an igbo vp Fine. If GEJ emerges with a northern VP fine. PDP will soon break itself. LOLZ.

wait to see how things play out Right now GEJ is my guy in 2011.

Buhari WILL NOT BE BETTER THAN GEJ.
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by marcus1234: 9:29pm On Dec 01, 2010
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by Becomrich11: 9:34pm On Dec 01, 2010
buahri can not get vote in igboland.

When Biafra.com is telling you something about tinubu, dont you know it is to thier own interest. So that ACN can loss at the poll.

Tinubu is not an option . You dont want to take a risk and EFCC would tell you , he is not qualified.they would disqualify tinubu.  What do you think the PDP would do to him. the PDP is behind this thread. They have agent online. Even Atiku waiver is been question.  And their agent online want to mislead atiku too.

Look judge how people laugh, when sowore mention the name of chief tinubu in the town hall meeting with Fashola. Everybody just started laughing. Even Fashola had to laugh.  You have to judge people reaction.

I do not have anything against Chief tinubu, but my comment are made based on people reaction. And how people feel.

You see when you people talk of Nuhu ribadu, Nobody would vote for nuhu ribadu in the north. 
Look Do you know any governor or ex governor in the north who is ready to go to jail if Nuhu ribadu becomes president. What it means is at the poll and election period. They would do everything to stop ribadu and he would not win. So why field sure a candidate.

In politics , you have to look at people that are going to be acceptable to the majority to get vote. Or what thier politics value is.

Leadership has to be created with generation. And as each generation evolve, new leaders are made.
There is a generation flow, you must follow in leadership.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPgJttYFIws&feature=player_embedded
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by leonaidas(m): 4:49am On Dec 02, 2010
I don't understand why anybody wld want to vote for buhari, don't we av more qualified men nd women? Why shld we keep recycling our leaders?
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by fstranger2: 4:52am On Dec 02, 2010
leonaidas:

I don't understand why anybody wld want to vote for buhari, don't we av more qualified men nd women? Why shld we keep recycling our leaders?

The Satan you know is better than the Jesus you ve never met!
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by Jakumo(m): 6:31am On Dec 02, 2010
fstranger2:

The Satan you know is better than the Jesus you ve never met!

[b]Quite to the contrary, sir, a trained chimpanzee would make an infinitely better Nigerian president than renowned Islamic supremacist Ayatollah lock-'em-up Buhari, who is an avowed enemy of free speech that was responsible for jailing scores of innocent people during his reign of despotic, arbitrary terror in the early 1980s.  More recently this same mandrill-faced gentleman derives a career out of publicly baying for the forcible "re-education" of all Nigeria's non-Muslims, in order that they be subjugated under Islamic Sharia amputation law, should Ayatollah Buhari rig his way into power, despite a record FIVE LANDSLIDE ELECTORAL LOSSES in the past.

Ayatollah Buhari is a menace to the civilized world, and I sure in the phuck hope that the good folks who handle "wet work" at the CIA are reading this dire warning about the machinations of a desperate, homicidal psychopath who is prepared to die as a consequence of his mad quest to regress Nigeria back to the bloodthirsty 18th century.
[/b]
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by Kobojunkie: 6:41am On Dec 02, 2010
leonaidas:

Have you not seen the list? Who out there right now(Please do not come back talking of people currently not on the list) do you believe is a better candidate, and why? I am open --so convince me there is a better candidate on the list.
Re: Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? by LKRavitz(m): 6:44am On Dec 02, 2010
buhari is a better choice than that gej. corruption will be reduced drastically.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chime Attended 17 Events In Five Years – Investigation / Mohammed Rajab Rejects Membership Of APC Presidential Campaign Council / I Am Tired Of Bombing Stories - Gej

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.