Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,907 members, 7,952,654 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 08:18 PM

SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho (10250 Views)

Synw Congratulates Prof. Kole Omotosho At 80 / Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie / Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 12:16pm On Jan 07, 2020
Chapter 10

Ephesians 6:12 KJV, For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Efe wrung her fingers together and looked down at them, nervous as to what Amanze wasn’t going to say to her. At first she told him it wasn't necessary. . . He didn't have to explain anything to her. But he reminded her she was important to him and he didn't want to start off with any lies. She reached out to the glass of water in front of her and took a sip. Then she took two more sips just to clear her nerves.
"Well, what did you want to talk to me about?" She asked while she dropped the glass back on the table. They were at an exclusive restaurant she had never been to or dreamt of going to. Everything was beautifully designed and the table cloth looked exquisite with a touch of African prints in it.
She wondered if he had brought his girlfriend here as well.
He sat back and stared at her. Then he smiled and said, "I have had my own share of heartbreaks in my life. Nothing as serious as yours, but then a heartbreak is a heartbreak." He cleared his throat. "Kokoma was once a staff of the company and was heading a different department. One thing led to another and we started seeing each other. She was ambitious and beautiful. . . Wanted so much in life and she worked hard to be the best. I assumed we had a lot in common because of our backgrounds and how much we wanted to succeed. When our relationship began we kept it private. Trying as much as possible to keep it as such. Little did I know she had secret rendezvous with other men in the office."
"How did you find out?"
"I had suspected she was seeing someone else but I didn't know it wasn't just one and some of them were my colleagues. So one day she happens to be at my place and I notice her phone ringing. It's on silence. I let the phone ring and then a text message pops in. It's one of the guys from work asking when he can have his turn with her that it's been weeks."
Efe’s mouth fell open in shock.
"At first I try to play dumb to the message but then another one comes in with him saying he can make her a deal she would never turn down. Adding that his wife just left for church and she could come over."
"That's terrible."
He shrugged and took a sip of the cocktail drink he had ordered for himself. "I confronted her but she came up with an excuse that he was stalking her and she had denied him several times. . . cut the long story short it was all true and she was seeing other men as well. Her reason for doing all that was 'cause she wanted to get better in life and that seemed to be the only way to do it. She claimed she loved me but I didn't believe her any more; to me she was just a social climber."
She wanted to reach out and hold his hand but she thought better of it. She didn't want to start something she knew she probably wouldn't be able to finish.
"I'm sorry about what happened to you," Efe said.
"I guess when it comes to matters of the heart we can't fully prevent ourselves from being hurt."
Yes , you can. If you follow My precepts ...
The Word dropped in her heart then. Efe kept it aside for the time being. "Okay... so why is she back in your life?"
He loosened his tie then and Efe braced herself for whatever he was going to say. "The child is mine. I had a DNA test done. I would look after him and be there for him as a father should. . . But I have no intention of getting back together with her."
Efe could tell he was serious about his decision.
"Are you sure you no longer have feelings for her?"
He nodded and smiled. "There's only one woman that has my full attention." He moved forward in his seat and took hold of her hand. "Look, Efe I'm not playing around with you. I love you. I really do. I see us doing great things together and you would never have any reason to worry whether or not I would cheat on you or leave you for another woman. I'm a one woman man. Trust me."
He lifted his hand to her face and caressed her cheek. Efe closed her eyes to his touch... relishing it. But then as fast as the pleasure had come, her head was quickly warning her not to fall into it. She opened her eyes then and shifted back from him.
"What's the problem?" He asked.
"I'm still married, Amanze. And I don't think I'm ready for a relationship right now. I want to build my relationship with God... I want to become better for myself. I have a daughter I also have to consider. The issues with Daniel are too much and I don't even know what's going to happen."
"Why don't you just get a divorce? He hasn't called you... he probably has no intention of getting back together."
She nodded. "I know, but I need time to sort it out. I didn't want to enter into something that may not lead anywhere. Just give me time."
He shifted back and said, "I would give you time. Just know I'm here for you whenever you want to talk."
She smiled. "Thank you Amanze."
"Let's order some food... all this emotional talk has made me hungry."
Efe chuckled.

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 3:40pm On Jan 07, 2020

Adesewa missed the comfort of being around people of the same faith. She missed the fellowship at church and the Word of God. Not that she didn't read her bible, she just missed going to church to be filled with the word and the worship session with other people. She had browsed around for a good church she could go to. She didn't want to return to the church she once attended when she first moved to Abuja years back. They would probably be asking why she wasn’t married yet and advise her to go for a deliverance service.
She laughed at the thought.
A thought suddenly crossed her mind and she picked up the phone; excitement building up as she looked up his number and dialled it. It took a while for him to answer and when he did he apologized for not getting in touch with her.
"I've been a bit busy."
She laid her back on the bed and shrugged. "It's fine. I've also been busy. How are you doing?"
"I'm great and you? How's the whole wedding preparation?"
Adesewa scratched her eyebrow. "It's fine." She wondered if she could talk to him about the issue on ground. "It's going well but there are just some things happening and I'm sort of caught in the twist."
"What sort of things?"
Taking a deep breath she explained all that had happened. She left out Zainab probably having something intimate with another woman and said she was being blackmailed with certain details from her past.
"Hmm. . . You believe she should tell her fiancé instead of falling into the trap of blackmail?"
"Yes. I can't stand there and let her lie in front of God and her spouse. .. doesn’t it mean I'm encouraging it?"
"Have you prayed about it?"
She nodded. "Yes, I have but haven’t gotten concrete answers yet."
"The best I can say is let God lead you. In matters like this you have to apply caution and wisdom. You can only get that from God. Would remember your friend in prayer."
"Yeah, thanks. I also wanted to ask what church you went to when you were here. I'm looking for a church to fellowship with."
He told her the name of the church. They spoke a bit till he had to get off to get some work done.
"Tell me how it goes at the church."
"I will. Thanks Kore."

She sniffed and stared at her wedding dress. It wasn't the traditional wedding dress. It was modern and more importantly it was just the way she wanted it. She wasn't going to put on a hijab or a turtle-neck gown that covered her whole body. She and I.K had decided they wanted an outdoor wedding after much deliberating. Left to her they would have done only a registry wedding but I.K wanted more and Zainab didn’t want to deny him of that.
Their registry wedding was taking place the next day and Zainab was nervous. Just a few days back she had visited Sonia and done the very thing she had hoped not to ever do again.
Zainab wrapped the weed and smoked heavily on it. She didn't care if it was going to disturb any of her friends. She didn't care that she had to get to a client's house in the next hour and would be high. She just needed a way out from the madness of her life. Why did it always appear that when something good was going to happen to her, something bad also happened as well?
She was sick of it all. She had considered suicide too many times to count but she wasn’t so bold to commit the action.
Zainab went to her drawers and pulled it open. She considered the syringe with a new drug she had purchased. I.K knew nothing about it. She considered taking a shot now and ending it all. Who would miss her? Her friends... I.K. Who else? Her biological father didn't really know her. Her stepfather thought her as a pain in his neck.
So what else was there to live for?

2 Likes

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by AryEmber(f): 3:40pm On Jan 07, 2020
Sorry it took me this long to comment, it's a wonderful story, not many of it kind here, thanks for sharing Tope

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by divinelypruned(f): 5:55pm On Jan 07, 2020
Thanks for the update
Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 10:18pm On Jan 07, 2020
The elderly man that had spoken to them at the previous men bible study was seated at the front once again to teach the Word. Daniel was looking forward to whatever teaching was going on that day. He had discovered the elderly man's name was Brother Kingsley and was very much respected in the church. The last lesson had go him thinking and asking himself questions on what kind of man God expected him to be and how far he had strayed from that path. He came back this time with a pen and a journal so he could jot some things down.
Mitchell would be at the women bible study and they would meet afterwards to talk about little before heading home. He had hoped to arrive earlier on so they could talk, but he was swamped with work.
"Good evening everyone. I'm glad to see you all here again today. Most of you were here last week but some of you weren't." He did a quick recap of what he spoke about and explained a few more things in relation to the topic before delving into the study for the day.
"Today, we will look at what God expects in marriage. I know most of you here are married and there are just a few that aren't. For the singles, don't say it's not for you 'cause it's something we all need to learn eventually. And if you feel God isn't calling you into marriage you might as well learn the truth here so you can teach others. So what do you think God expects from us in marriage? Anyone willing to share?"
The man beside him raised his hand and stood up. "I believe God expects us to be loving husbands to our wives and be good examples to our children."
Brother Kingsley nodded. "Anyone else?"
Another man stood up. "God expects us to be good providers to our family. . . to train our children up in the way of the Lord."
"Fantastic. One more contribution. . ."
No one else raised their hands. Daniel believed all had been said.
"Alright. Both men have spoken well, but do we really believe that's all God expects from us? In as much as He wants us to be good providers and set a good example for our children. . . and to provide an illustration of our relationship with Him. We look at the divorce rates and see around fifty percent of marriages end in divorce. Why is that happening? If look closely we would realise that one main reason for broken marriages is because one or both spouse has strayed from God."
Daniel felt like a blow hit his chest.
"The farther away from God you are brings about issues in your marriage. Some of you may not believe me but look deeply at your marriage. Examine for yourselves."
Daniel did just that. He began looking back at how much he had hurt his wife.
But she hurt me too, Daniel thought to himself.
"God expects you to be a good companion to your wife. To love and cherish her as Christ does to the church."
The study went on for a while and Daniel had jottings on a lot of things he had learnt. Most of them he knew but he was glad to be reminded and a fresh view of it.
As he prepared to leave someone tapped him on the shoulder and he turned to see brother Kingsley. "Good evening brother."
"Good evening sir."
"Hope you've been enjoying the study thus far."
Daniel nodded.
"Thank God. What's the name?"
"Daniel."
"Daniel, I'm brother Kingsley. If you have anything you would like to discuss or questions you need dire answers to... I'm available here. Most of the time I'm at the church office."
"Thank you sir."
Daniel bid him goodbye and went his way. He found Mitchell sitting close to the entrance of the church.
"Hey you!"
She looked up from the book she was reading and smiled at him. "Hi. How was bible study?"
"Awesome. Yours?"
"Spectacular!"
Daniel looked at her closely. He noticed she had little bags under her eyes and she looked worn-out. His face scrunched up to a frown as he grabbed a chair not too far off and sat beside her as others came out of the church.
"Are you okay?"
"Not really, but I'm getting there."
"What's wrong?"
"I'm just a little tired. That's all."
"You know I've been meaning to ask you loads of questions about yourself. I just realised I don't know much about you. What you do for a living, where you work, what your passion is."
She raised a brow. "You want to come and kill me at home?"
Daniel chuckled. "It's not that serious."
"I know. So what's up? What's going on with you?"
Daniel shook his head. "No o! We won't talk about me until I learn more about you. Deal?"
She smiled. "What would you like to know?"

2 Likes

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by Ann2012(f): 10:48pm On Jan 07, 2020
Thanks for this educating story
God bless you OP

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 8:57am On Jan 08, 2020
Chapter Eleven

She graduated from University of Lagos with a degree in Economics and bagged her Masters in London. He asked why she wasn't working in a huge company and making big money. She said God had called her to a far different ministry, one that she loved and found fulfilment in.
"My parents didn’t quite understand at first, not like they fully understand now but it's better than when I first broke the news to them. I told them God had called me to be an evangelist. To share His word everywhere and anywhere in could."
Daniel’s eyes widened at that information. "So you just left everything? What did your parents say?"
Her eyes fixated on the parking lot with cars driving out of the compound. She shrugged and said, "They thought there was something wrong with me. My father was angry and said asked why he had spent so much money sending His daughter to school abroad if she knew she just wanted to carry a bible around and preach."
As she said the words he could hear the tinge of sadness in her voice.
"My mum tried to talk me out of it but there was really no way anyone could stop me once I made up my mind." She looked down at her fingers. "I prayed for them to understand and support me. I told God to give them the same understanding He had given me about His calling for my life." Her lips tilted up to a smile. "He reminded me of the story of Joseph and even of Jesus."
Daniel could recall both stories in the bible. Joseph's family hadn't believed in him much. Jesus' family hadn’t stood by Him... only His mother had.
"It's hard when you feel alone, but I know God's with me."
He felt like hugging her but felt it wouldn't be appropriate. Instead he shoved his shoulder into hers gently. "It would be okay, just keep believing in Him."
She looked at him then and smiled. "That's exactly what I'm doing. It's what keeps me going. It's been two years since I've followed God's calling and I don't regret it. Difficulties come and go, my faith has been tested... but at the end it works out fine."
"I'm happy for you."
"Thanks. So what about you? What's your own story?"
Daniel looked at her and noticed she was sweating. He found that strange despite the cool weather. He asked if she was okay.
"I'm fine. Just that I sweat a lot. I could use some ice-cream though and I have the perfect place in mind. That is, if you're willing to move our conversation elsewhere."
It was fine by him. They took their leave and drove their separate cars to a popular ice-cream store in town. It was a little rowdy but they got a seat. He got their orders within the next fifteen minutes and settled down at their table. She took two scoops and closed her eyes as she relished the taste of her strawberry and vanilla flavours with M&M's mixed with it.
He smiled at her.
"Mmm... This is delicious! God is good. Okay so I asked ... What's your own story?"
Daniel took a spoon of his chocolate and vanilla ice-cream and let it melt in his mouth before he answered. "What story?"
"Where do you work? You have a daughter, what about her mum?"
He suddenly felt uncomfortable with the latter part of her question, but then Mitchell was oblivious to this 'cause she was getting another spoonful of ice-cream. He wasn't sure if he could bare his heart with her, but then again there was nothing wrong in sharing and hearing her perspective. He was already comfortable with her.
"I work in an advertising company. I had my daughter out of wedlock but later married her mother who happens to be a family friend. We had issues and we went our separate ways."
"Ouch. That's sad. Is that all there is to the story?"
"No."
Daniel sighed and told her all that happened with Adesewa and how he messed up. He told her about Efe and how she had gotten him to marry her. He rounded up the story by telling her how he told her to leave and after her NYSC they could decide what to do.
"Wow. So what do you plan on doing?"
He shrugged. "Maybe get get a divorce. It's been heavy on my mind. I don't love her as I should and I don't think I ever will after how she forced her way into my life. If it was God's will for us to marry why did she play God and not wait for His timing? Why did she have to sleep with me and get pregnant?"
Mitchell tilted her head to the side and looked at him. "You're still angry, and you're hurt. She was the one that told you everything right? That has to mean something."
"I don't care what it means. She played me."
"And you think it's okay for you to punish her? Isn't that revenge?"
Daniel shrugged.
Mitchell looked at her watch. "I have to leave now, but could we meet up later on and talk?"
"Sure, why not." Daniel loved spending time with her and if his problems kept her coming then it was no problem with him.

2 Likes

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 11:27am On Jan 08, 2020

Why was she asking her if she loved I.K? She was irritated at the question. Lately, she had been acting weird after she told her what had happened with Sonia.
"Of course I love him. I'm getting married to him after all. Why are you asking?"
Zainab propped her legs on the coffee table and rested her back on the couch. She had a long day putting final touches on the venue, cake and food. Her feet were aching, despite the comfy tennis shoes she had chosen to wear.
"It's not all the time people marry 'cause of love. Some marry out of necessity, others for fear of being alone, some 'cause of financial constraints -"
Zainab rolled her eyes. She raised her hand for her to stop talking. "What exactly is your point Ade? Just spit it out instead of beating around the bush."
"Okay. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you really love I.K you should let him know about what you're going through. I know you're afraid of what he might say once he finds out, but you still have to tell him. You can't build your marriage on lies and expect everything to be rosy. What if Sonia decides to tell him?"
"She wouldn't do such a thing!"
"I'm just saying. She could if she wanted to. So what would you do then? Where does that leave I.K?"
Zainab looked away from her. "I would cross that bridge when I get there. I can’t tell him; he's the only good thing I have now. Ade it's so easy for you to seat there and tell me what to do. Talk is cheap but actions are expensive. It sounds easy but it's not. My life just feels like a huge bubble filled with toxic and I'm in it breathing 'cause it's the only thing I'm used to. Whether it kills me or not I don't care. I'm just going with the motions.
"I'm pissed with my mother 'cause she waited till I was twenty-nine before she told me who my real father was. My stepfather was just a pain. His children look at me like I'm a freak or an evil person 'cause of all the rubbish he has filled their heads with." She laughed, but it lacked humour. "And my father is a pastor. Doesn't my life sound pathetic?"
She caught the look on Adesewa’s face and couldn't decipher if it was self-pity or sympathy. Adesewa closed her eyes briefly and opened them again with a smile on her face.
"Everyone has their own sad story, Zee."
Zainab shook her head. "No, some people have it good without any commotion in their lives. Some of us just don't have that luxury."
"You don't know about their lives. Some people just pretend that everything is okay when it's not. It's what they want you to see that they show you."
"Whatever."
"Is your dad coming for your wedding?"
"Yeah, I.K invited him." She dropped her legs from the table and stood up. She needed to get some sleep. Later in the evening she was meeting with I.K's parents for dinner and she didn't want to show up looking haggard.
"We'll talk later. Need to sleep."
"Please think about what I said."
"Sure."

2 Likes

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by Ann2012(f): 2:55pm On Jan 08, 2020
Zainab better opens up before it's too late

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 4:58pm On Jan 08, 2020

I would never leave nor forsake you. You are My beloved child. Do not worry or be anxious about anything. Give Me your burdens and rest in My love.
Efe wrapped her arms around herself and took comfort in the words whispered to her heart. Resting in God's love wasn't something she had done in a long while. She had spent most of her weekend praying to God and trying to understand what exactly was going on in her life. Daniel, Amanze, Eluwa. . . Her step-sister, Zainab and what she was going to do? Everything just seemed out of control and there was nothing she could do about it. A particular thought had been on her mind and she wasn't even sure if it was God talking or the advice she had received from friends.
The ringing of her phone made her discard her thoughts for the moment and reach out to the bed for it. It was her mother in law.
Why is she calling me? Her mother in law had called her the day before and she had spoken with her daughter ans father in law. So why was she calling again? Fear gripped her heart. Hope nothing is wrong with Eluwa?
"Hello. Good evening ma."
"Good evening dear. How are you?"
"I'm doing well. I-Is everything okay?"
"Yes," Efe sighed in relief. "I just called to check how you're doing. I know we spoke the other day but... I just had this feeling to call you. Is everything okay?"
"Yes mummy, I'm fine. How's everyone?"
"Fine as well. But seriously tell me, are you okay? Really okay? You can talk to me dear."
Efe pressed the phone to her ear and closed her eyes. "I'm just confused about a lot of things in my life. Mummy.” She bit her lip, uncertain if she should tell her mother in law about the lengths she had gone to be with Daniel. She didn't want the older woman looking down on her or judging her. Instead she said, "Mum I'm okay. Just confused about what would happen with Daniel and how it would affect Eluwa."
"Put everything in God's hands. Keep praying. There's nothing prayer cannot do."
Efe nodded. "Mum I'm not sure I want to keep going on with everything. I don't think I want - I don't think we should have got married in the first place."
"A-are you both considering divorce?"
Efe could tell how the thought saddened the older woman but there was nothing she could do. She couldn't go on with the kind of life she was currently living.
"I'm considering it."
Her mother-in-law muttered something in Igbo. "My dear you need to calm down and think this through. Marriage is not like this. Problems come and go."
But what if the problems stay on forever? She didn't want Daniel resenting her for the rest of his life.
"Please think about it first, biko."
“Yes mummy."But I've already made up my mind.

2 Likes

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by skubido(m): 9:34pm On Jan 08, 2020
Hmmmmmm.
Lobatan, plz rethink ooo

Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 12:48pm On Jan 09, 2020
Chapter Twelve

John 8:7 KJV, "So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."

He lifted Ezra from the chair and held him in his arms.
"You know he looks a lot like you." Kokoma said as she got up from her couch and went to the dining table to get a clean napkin that he could place on his shirt.
"Says who?"
Kokoma laughed. "Isn't it obvious? Look at his nose and ears... his eyes. He's a spitting image of you. He just happens to have my mocha complexion."
She walked over to Amanze and placed the napkin on his shoulder. He half expected her to pull a stunt but she didn't linger. She told him she would get him something to drink and sauntered off to the kitchen. Amanze took that time to look around her posh apartment. Black leather settee, 40" inch TV, expensive centre rug with a glass centre table. Everything just screamed 'expensive!'.
Where did she get the money to afford all this? Has she found another guy willing to pay for the lifestyle she desperately wanted?
He shook his head in disgust and settled down on the seat and played with his son. He had told his grandmother about the baby but was taking his time to inform his mother. He knew she would make a big deal out of it and would love to embrace Kokoma once again as her potential daughter-in-law.
Amanze didn’t want that. He didn't want his mother filling her head with hopes and dreams that were never going to happen.
"Here you go." Kokoma dropped a glass of orange juice and a small plate of small chops.
"Thank you."
"You're welcome. Just trying to be a good hostess. So have you told your family about Ezra?"
"My grandmother is aware but I'm yet to tell my mother."
Kokoma laughed. "Why? You think she would ask you to man-up and marry me? Give your son the right honour he deserves?" She nodded. "Yeah, I think your mum would do that."
Ezra started fussing and crying. As if he could feel the annoyance he had for his mother. "Don't be too sure about that. When she knows your true colours and realized what kind of woman you are... she wouldn't even consider it."
The smile on Kokoma's face fell. "People change you know."
"Yeah, people change but not all changes are for good." Amanze tried to calm his son down but to no avail. "What's wrong with him?"
She got up and took him from Amanze gently. "He's hungry." She sat back down on her seat and took care of feeding their son. He tried not to look too much but he couldn’t help it. The sight of his son looking peaceful and eating caught his heart. It was a beautiful moment.
"I told you I was sorry Amanze. What I did was wrong and all because of my pursuit for success. You know my background. You know how difficult it's been for me and my family. There were so many bills to pay and not enough money coming in. I needed more -"
"And you got the money by being the office slut! How convenient for you. Anyhow the past is the past. Let's leave things as they are and try to get along with each-other for the sake of our son."
He got up and said he had to leave.
"I still love you. . ."
"That's too bad. I'm in love with someone else." He saw the sadness in her eyes but there was nothing he could do. He had moved on with his life. "We would talk about how often I can see Ezra. .. we should be able to set up a schedule. I want to be a part of his life and I want him to have my last name."
Kokoma nodded. "Alright. I won't be able to see you off."
"It's fine. I would see myself out."
He touched his son's cheek tenderly then walked out of her apartment.

2 Likes

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 3:12pm On Jan 09, 2020

She was on her lunch break, barely touching the Jollof-rice and fried meat she had bought. Efe thought back to the conversation she had with her mother-in-law some days back. She hadn't wavered in her decision. She decided to call her dad later in the evening to let him know before Daniel’s mother spoke to him about it. Her father may not support her decision but she knew it was probably the right thing to do considering the circumstances.
And then there was Amanze. Amanze who loved her and was willing to wait for her to sort out her issues. He was patient enough not to press her for a commitment but wanted her to know he was there whenever she needed him. Efe had to admit he was a man after her own heart. Why hadn't she met him before the whole Daniel saga? Why couldn't Daniel be more like him?
Pamela dropped her tray of food on the table and took a seat opposite her. "What's up with you? You've been looking down these days."
Efe shrugged and picked a spoon of rice and chucked it into her mouth. She swallowed before she said anything.
"I'm just making a lot of decisions right now. I would be fine."
Pamela arched an eyebrow.
"What sort of decisions?"
Efe wasn’t ready to talk about it with her. She was calling her dad that evening. She knew he would not agree with her decision but there was nothing left to do. It was her life and she was tired of the stress of the past year and few months.
"I would let you know soonest. Don't worry about it."
Pamela looked at her for the next few seconds, like she wasn’t going to give up so easily but then she shrugged and focused on her meal.
"How's the whole modelling thing? Any progress?"
Pamela snorted. "Not yet. I'm seeing another photographer soon to take head-shots. A friend of mine said she has someone she can show them to. It's not big but it's something. It's a start."
"That's great news."
"Yeah, I guess so. It's better than nothing."
They ate in comfortable silence. Both of them occupied with their own thoughts.
"Why do you want to be a model? I mean I never really asked you why."
"Because I have a beautiful body. I love fashion. I love the idea of strutting down the walk way and showcasing latest fashion. You get to work with different people from different countries and travel. It's just an exciting job."
"But you know it has it's disadvantages, right?"
Pamela shrugged and dug in to her meal again. "All jobs have their disadvantages, dear. I'm not bothered."
They finished with their meals and headed back to the office. As Efe approached her desk she spotted a sticky note placed on a pile of files on her desk. Her shoulders dropped. She knew she might have to spend extra hours at work today. She picked the sticky note and read it.
Get these files sorted out. Be in my office at 4.
"Great." What time would she have to talk to her father now?

2 Likes

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 3:13pm On Jan 09, 2020
I'm seeing more views than comments... guys please share your thoughts. Let me hear from you.

What you feel of the story.. if u have questions etc
Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by uchedora(f): 4:39pm On Jan 09, 2020
you are doing great,as a matter of fact u just reminded of my bible ,keep it up dear

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 8:24pm On Jan 09, 2020
uchedora:
you are doing great,as a matter of fact u just reminded of my bible ,keep it up dear

Thank you smiley

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 8:24pm On Jan 09, 2020

"Do you know what it feels like being separate from God?" She looked away from him. "I do. I've been there before and it was awful. His Word says; Behold, the LORD's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear: But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.
"You know I used to think God couldn't hear people who didn't believe in Him. All who are in sin. I didn't know the Scripture was referring to Christians; us in the fold of faith. God hears when unbelievers call to Him, but not us believers when we have sinned. You know why? Because we know better. We know right from wrong but still we sin against Him."
She looked at him then. "You get what I mean?"
Daniel nodded. He had never thought about it that way.
Efe was his wife, irrespective of the hurts and pains she may have put him through. God still wanted him to love her and care for her.
"Christ loves us as much as He loves Himself, and if you love yourself you wouldn't wish yourself harm, pain, sorrow. That's how much God loves me. That's how much He loves you brother Daniel."
Daniel closed his eyes as he felt tears rush there. "I know God loves me, but I don't know if I can love the way He does."
Mitchell smiled. "It's simple. Imitate Him. Be willing to practice His Love in moments when love looks undeserving and impossible. That's how we all should do it."
Daniel recalled how much he hurt Efe in moments when he could have chosen to show her love.
"It's a somewhat funny thought, but do you think Christ can ever breakup with His bride - the church? Can you ever imagine that happening? He says He would never leave nor forsake us and nothing can separate us from His Love for us."
"But the only thing that can separate us from Him is sin."
She looked at him then with a light in her eyes he wished he had. "Now you're getting it."
There was a comfortable silence between them and he watched as people came in and out of the fast-food restaurant they had come to.
"I can't judge you or Efe - though it would be so easy to that and want to take sides and put the blame on one person. But I can't. Only God knows all. You would have to think it through and pray to God to make the right decision."
His phone rang at that moment. At first he was going to ignore the call but he turned his phone over and his heart did flip-flops.
Efe was calling him.
He raised his finger for Mitchell to give him a minute and picked his call.
"Hi Efe. How are you? That's good to hear. Ulunma is fine. Okay? Now?" He looked at Mitchell and frowned. "Alright, so when did you come to such a conclusion? Fine. If that's what you want. Talk to you later."
He dropped his phone back on the table. "Guess the decision has been made."
"What did she say?"
He laughed. "She wants a divorce."
"And how do you feel?"
Daniel sighed. "Honestly? I don't know."

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by skubido(m): 8:46pm On Jan 09, 2020
Hmmmmmm

Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by Ann2012(f): 8:58pm On Jan 09, 2020
I'm sensing reconciliation

Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by Pricelessangel0(f): 9:55pm On Jan 09, 2020
A great story you have got here, with a lot of lessons to learn. Keep it up. Weldone

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by drewsman: 10:58am On Jan 10, 2020
A story with a lot of lessons o learn. God always speaks to us, but we are not always sensitive to hear an to listen. The reason why many Christians go out of God's will and find themselves in trouble at the end

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 1:29pm On Jan 10, 2020

"Yes, Kobina I will be back on Sunday. Yes, I check in on the office once in a while and I'm told it's all running smoothly despite my absence." She laughed. "Thanks for the compliment. Oh... okay I Will see to those cases immediately I get back. Alright then. Take care."
She ended the call and tossed her phone on the kitchen counter. The feeling of earlier still there. She couldn't shake the feeling that something bad was coming. She prayed about it briefly then kept it aside. She had been preparing dinner when Kobina, her partner called to check in. She couldn't wait to resume work and get back to reviewing accounts. She also couldn't wait to get back to Korede.
She smiled to herself as she diced tomatoes and onions. The church Korede directed her to had been wonderful. She had missed being in the presence of God with other Christians. The worship had been awesome and the Word was excellent. She loved how the pastor took time in teaching about living like Jesus in a world filled with distractions and obscenities. How as Christians they shouldn't compromise with the world and fall prey to its ways. It made the burden to pray for Zainab and Audrey more heavy on her. Her friends needed to know what peace and joy they could have in being with Christ.
Zainab's wedding was here already and still she hadn't said anything to I.K about her issues with Sonia. She kept praying and praying and asking God what she should do. Would it be okay for her to stand up for her friend when her marriage was based on lies?
"Babes, what are you cooking? It smells delicious!" Audrey walked into the kitchen and took the lid off the pot. "Wow this looks good. What's for dinner?"
"Spaghetti and meatballs with mixed vegetables."
"Gosh your husband will enjoy o!"
Adesewa chuckled.
"I hope so. Who knows? Maybe he would be a chef of a restaurant and wouldn't want me cooking."
Audrey eyed her. "Maybe he's white then. 'Cause I can't imagine any African man saying that."
"Saying what?" Zainab asked when she walked into the kitchen.
Audrey related what they had said and Zainab agreed with her. "He would probably be white. I.K loves fresh food. He can't stand eating food cooked a day before, says it disrupts his digestive system."
"Na so. So how do you manage?"
Zainab shrugged and stole a slice of tomato and popped it into her mouth before Adesewa couldn't complain. "I just have someone cook and deliver fresh meals to me whenever he comes over."
Adesewa gave her a weary look. "That wouldn't be so convenient by the time you guys get married. You should take up cooking classes."
"Oh please. It's too stressful. I.K isn't hard to please. He can eat swallow and rice and noodles..."
"But what about the soup and stew?" Audrey asked cheekily. "Can you cook them?"
Zainab waved her hand as if swatting a fly. "You ladies should leave me, abeg. If I need help I would just call Ade and ask her how to do things. Besides, IK can cook. He's not marrying me based on my cooking skills."
Audrey shook her head while Adesewa busied herself with getting dinner ready.
"My father is coming in tomorrow for the wedding. He will stay in a hotel. In the meantime, IK will be here soon. I'll go and freshen up."
The feeling came back again... heavier this time. All Adesewa could do was pray and pray hard.

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 4:06pm On Jan 10, 2020
Chapter Thirteen

Jeremiah 29:11 KJV, For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

She couldn't bare the look of disgust on his face. The anger in his eyes. Tears filled up her eyes and trailed down her cheeks.
"I'm sorry I.K . I didn't mean to hurt you. It's just who I am. You know me... I'm crazy and I do crazy things. My life is anything but normal."
"Oh shut up! Are you the only one with problems? You think I don't have problems? I do! Yet you don't see me pulling crazy stunts or going around doing it with men!" He slammed his palm into the wall and she jumped at the sound. "Zainab I knew you were sick but not a lunatic!"
"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." She trailed off.
Zainab eyes snapped open and it took less than a minute for her to realise it was just a dream. She swiped the drops of sweat off her forehead and took deep breaths. The dream seemed real to her, but thank goodness it wasn't. She threw her covers off her and sat up. Her head in her hands she tried to calm herself a little bit then got up and went out to the kitchen to get a drink of water. She was getting married the next day and she was nervous.
The dream made her extra nervous.
What if something went wrong? Why would she be having such a dream at this time? She hook her head and gulped down the water until the bottle was empty and she binned it. She had to stop worrying about unnecessary things or they may become a reality. Besides, Sonia had already promised not to tell I.K anything as long as she was getting her own end of the deal.
Zainab grimaced.

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by Ann2012(f): 5:38pm On Jan 10, 2020
Zainab will be surprised when everything comes crashing.

Thanks for the update
Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 6:55pm On Jan 10, 2020
What was it Mitchell had said? That his first separation started with God and spiralled into other areas of his life? Well, she was right about that and so many other things she had told him. For a woman that young she definitely had a profound wisdom for her age.
Daniel briefly put aside the campaign-Ad he was currently working on and sat back on his seat. Efe's call had come as a shock to him, even more her request for a divorce. He hadn't spoken to her for two months prior to when she called and had no intentions of doing such. He was still trying to get his life back together; trying to figure out God's plans for him.
'Maybe this is what God wants for me.' He thought. But as quickly as the thought came to mind he doubted it. Would God want both of them to give up so easily? A marriage that had not fully started would end just like that? Daniel knew Efe to not make rash decisions.
What about the rash decision she made to seduce you and get pregnant? Do you really know her as well as you think you do?
Daniel was more confused than ever. Maybe it was best they both moved on with their lives. When he told her to move out months back, had he expected they would get back together in the future? Truth was he didn't know what would happen. He just needed time apart but he also knew he couldn’t stand being with her in the same place.
He thought about what he had learnt so far at bible study. Being the man God wanted him to be and loving his wife.
"God, do you really expect me to love this woman after everything she did to me?"
Haven’t you hurt her as well?
Daniel knew he had. But if she hadn't meddled in his life in the first place none of this would have happened. He might have married Adesewa, had beautiful kids with her, have fun times as they always did. What was going to happen now?
The words came swiftly, For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
"Okay God, so what are Your plans?"

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 6:57pm On Jan 10, 2020

Efe believed she had made the best decision for the both of them. Life would be easier now. At least she hoped it would. As she knew he would, her father had tried to dissuade her from her actions and asking on what grounds would she be divorcing him.
"Adultery. Dad he cheated on me when we were married. He even took Eluwa with him. Can you imagine that? What kind of man is he?"
"Efe, are you sure of what you're saying?"
"Yes, dad. I know what I saw in his eyes when I found him at her place. Guilt! Guilt!" Efe had snapped her eyes shut as the scene came to play in her mind... taunting her as it had for the last few months. She had been pushing it away. Telling herself she deserved such punishment for what she did to him as well. But no she couldn’t bear it any more.
"I'm sorry my dear. So sorry. But you know two wrongs don't make a right. You know God does not approve of divorce."
"Does that mean God wants me to suffer? He wants me to be with a man that might never love me? How do I cope with that? What kind of life would that be? Daddy," she sniffed. "Daddy, you tell me. As my father doesn’t it hurt for you to see me go through this pain? I deserve to be happy."
She heard her father sigh. She could imagine him sitting in his study one hand with the phone pressed against his ear and the other one pressed against his forehead with the table beneath it as support. She knew her father may have a hard time agreeing with her but there was nothing left to do.
"I would be praying for you Efe. You know my stance against divorce. I love you and would pray for God's will to be done. He alone can salvage what others see as impossible."
That was a couple of days back. He had told her he was off to Abuja for Zainab’s wedding and should be back the next week. Efe had wished him a safe trip.
She tucked in a strand of her hair behind her ear and licked her chapped lips. The weather was getting cooler these days and her lip gloss had finished the week before. She would have to stop at a super-market soon to get things she needed before she got busier. According to her colleagues, this was the busiest and most fun time of the year in the office. There would be the closing of accounts and fixing budgets and plans against next year and the end of the year party. Efe knew Amanze was busy with plans and preparations for the party and also had to spend time getting to know Ezra.
The meant little time for her but he had promised they would have this Saturday to go sightseeing and have some fun. She looked forward to it now more than ever. The thought of someone who would love and care for her as a man should made goosebumps creep up on her body. She smiled to herself. She could hardly wait!

2 Likes

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by Ohibenemma(m): 9:47pm On Jan 10, 2020
Finally at the end of it! Discovered it only this afternoon and have gobbled it like a long sought snack, taking chunky bites at every opportunity.

I like the way you write, TopeOmotosho, and more importantly, I like the message you're passing... I can't wait for more... I don't like waiting for updates so soon!

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 11:00am On Jan 11, 2020
Mitchell's heart ached. The burden and need to pray heavy on her. She hurried up with the dishes and made her way to the best place of the house. Her bedroom. It was a place she never got tired of being in. It was where she cried out to God in worship, pain, anger, joy and happiness. It was where she also met with Him in times of dire need. This was one of those times. She knew the burden in her heart had something to do with Daniel and his wife and God wanted her to pray and pray hard.
She took her bible from her reading table and sat on the floor beside her bed. She started with worship songs and praised God.
"Daddy, I don’t know how or what to pray... but You do. You know exactly why you placed this burden in my heart. Please lead me to pray as You want me to. Give me the words Daddy."
Mitchell opened her mouth to pray and she started speaking in tongues. The burden in her heart getting deeper and tears sprang up in her eyes. She prayed and prayed till the burden turned to peace and she was relaxed in her spirit. She looked at her wall-clock; it was a quarter past twelve. She had prayed for two hours! She was physically exhausted but Spiritually joyous. She knew God was up to something great. Something that would help a lot of people and not just Daniel.
She laughed and praised God as she climbed on her bed and fell asleep.

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 11:01am On Jan 11, 2020

Zainab knew something was wrong when I.K walked into the kitchen while she and the girls were having a late breakfast. Adesewa and Audrey exchanged looks and made to get up from the table but I.K told them to remain seated. He sounded tipsy.
"I.K are you okay? Are you high?"
He placed a hand on his chest. "Me? I'm perfect baby. I'm as normal as I can be. What you guys are eating smells good. What is it?"
"Err - Scrambled eggs, sausages, boiled tomatoes and toast."
He chuckled. "Smells good but sounds boring. Not like my Zainab here. Smells good. Tastes good and is not boring at all. Abi Zainab?"
Zainab frowned at him. "What exactly is your problem? Why are you behaving this way?"
"Oh, I'm sorry dear." He walked up to her and planted a kiss on her lips. "Okay then food also tastes delicious." He pulled Zainab up to her feet and kissed her soundly and with so much passion that had one of the girls sigh. Zainab was sure it was Audrey. He pulled back and they stood face to face, his breath warming her nose.
"We're getting married tomorrow Zee. We're going to spend the rest of our lives together. Have kids. Build our lives together and grow old. We would have kick-ass fun. Don't you think so?"
She nodded, not sure what was happening but guessed it to be the excitement of their wedding tomorrow. "I believe so. We are good together I.K and I love you."
His eyes turned dark all of a sudden and he shoved her aside. "Bullshit! This is all bullshit! You love me? Do you also love Sonia as well?"
Zainab heard a gasp.
"What are you talking about?"
"What am I talking about? Are you really asking me that question? Okay... why don't you explain to me when you developed a liking for women? Are you a lesbian? Are you bisexual? Transgender? Or maybe you're an hermaphrodite!"
He pointed at her friends who were still seated at the table. "Are you doing them as well? You guys having a party? Gosh! Zainab you are sick in the head! If I hadn't seen that video for myself I wouldn't have believed all the lies your cousin had been telling me all this while."
Zainab suddenly felt cold. "What video? What did Sonia tell you?"
He shook his head in disgust. "She didn't have to tell me much... the video said it all. The wedding is off Zainab. Enjoy the rest of your life as a crazy woman. I sent you the video. You can check it on your phone." With that he walked out of the kitchen and she shook when she heard she door slam. She turned slowly to back to her friends. Adesewa looked sad, Audrey in shock. Zainab took her phone from the table and downloaded the video. It took less than a minute. She played it and watched as her life crumbled down. She didn't know when the phone left her hands and she dropped on her knees to the floor.
The tears came... just like in her dream. The hurt and pain was too much. This time she wished she was dreaming and someone would wake her up fast.

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 12:23pm On Jan 11, 2020
Ohibenemma:
Finally at the end of it! Discovered it only this afternoon and have gobbled it like a long sought snack, taking chunky bites at every opportunity.

I like the way you write, TopeOmotosho, and more importantly, I like the message you're passing... I can't wait for more... I don't like waiting for updates so soon!

You're welcome to the party grin
Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 12:25pm On Jan 11, 2020
Chapter Fourteen

Adesewa swiped the tears from her eyes. Yes, she had prayed for God to do something... to tell her what to do but then she hadn't expected I.K to call the wedding off. She rubbed Zainab’s back gently as she shed silent tears.
Audrey had been trying to reach I.K and talk sense to him but he wasn't picking her calls. She looked up as Audrey made her way towards them with a defeated look.
"Still no luck?"
Audrey shook her head. "He has switched off his phone now. What else can we do? Should we go over to his place?"
"We could try that."
"I need to see Sonia." Zainab said abruptly and rose from the floor. She swiped the tears from her eyes. "That sick bitch thinks she can mess with me! She would know she's not the only one that can play dirty."
Adesewa didn't think it was a good idea said as much. "Why do you want to see her? She's done her worst. Now what's left to do is try to work things out with I.K."
Zainab’s eyes blazed with anger. "So I just let her have her way with me?"
"I'm saying it's over. There's nothing left to do. Going over to meet her wouldn’t solve your problems with your fiancé! Go and talk to I.K."
"Maybe it's just God's punishment for my sins. Maybe I'm not to have it good in this life." Zainab wrapped her arms around herself and stared out the window. "I know I.K, once he's made a decision there's no going back to it. He really doesn't want to get married."
"Zee, don't give up hope. Let's just go over to his place and talk to him. Please." Audrey said.
Adesewa didn't wait for her to answer. She hurried to the room to get the car keys and change, all the while praying for God's will to be done.

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by Ann2012(f): 1:15pm On Jan 11, 2020
The truth is out....

Thanks for the update

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Womans Strength / "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. / Nmeri's literary junkyard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.