Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,415 members, 7,822,935 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:49 PM

4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist - Religion (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist (57317 Views)

Re: Here Are 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist PART 2 / Re: Here Are 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist / I'm An Atheist That Thinks That Premarital Sex Is Wrong. Is This Unusual? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (30) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by kilojoDesigns: 4:31pm On Dec 30, 2019
One thing people don't know is that most of these story's in all the religious books were nothing but secret messages the elites of that time used to communicate with each other. The masses took them as literal but the chief priests knew the meanings behind them.
If you study ancient religions, it becomes clear to you

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by SatoshiPips(m): 4:34pm On Dec 30, 2019
First of all, i am sure there's nothing like hell fire.
What the so called prominent religious leaders fail to tell their gullible followers is that if the world will never end.

Secondly, your belief is your god.
If you dont feed your belief with hard or soft work, forget about merriment
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by DAVE5(m): 4:35pm On Dec 30, 2019
Acehart:

I suffered. I suffer daily. But I earn about three million naira a year with incentives and I have a nice car and more. For many years I had nothing, zero. (At one point I taught in a nursery and primary school). But those things I have now don’t complete me. I don’t count another man’s money and I’ll advise you to do the same because the issue of looking at images is the strategy of Satan to take your gaze from godliness and contentment.

When you read the later verses of Romans 8, you would see that God never promised us an easy life of comfort, not even safety from our enemies or a hiding place from persecution. God has promised that whatever we face in life, we will overcome them by his meeting every need of ours. If we suffer, God gives us the ability to rejoice even when our needs takes time to come to fruition.

I am sure those GOs suffered to. You are only seeing their “today”. Have you seen their yesterdays? Whatever they are doing now which is not pleasing to you, is not for you to jump into conclusion; it is God that judges every man.

Happy Holidays

Hmmnn, enjoyment at other people’s expense, some of those people barely have 3 square meals daily, well make I no speak further before I sin against my spirit

happy holidays
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Nobody: 4:36pm On Dec 30, 2019
englishmart:
1.Jesus is the only way to God, John 14:6
This invariably means those who don't believe in Jesus have no business in heaven.
Christians worldwide have an estimated population of 2.4billion people
Islam records an estimate of 1.9 billion adherents, Hindu has an estimated 1.1bn adherents. The remaining world's population have their own beliefs which includes atheism.
If Jesus is the only way to God, what happens to those who don't believe in him? Hell? Well, the Bible suggests so.

2. There are a lot of complications and contradictory remarks in the Bible- a verse says don't drink, another says "Drink for your stomach sake", or "Do not drink wherein excess."
Malachi 3:10 a famous Bible verse on tithing speaks about bringing your tithe to the storehouse (church, maybe)
Deuteronomy 14:22-26 says otherwise, it says "you should drink and be merry with your tithe". I'm seriously beginning to doubt the credibility of the Bible. Maybe the translators' fault or God told writers different stories on the same issue. Read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John's account of Jesus and see real contradictions.

3. Does God answer prayers? Well, I'm not really sure about that. Someone might be suffering from malaria, the person takes drugs and still prays, the drugs work, but the person thanks God. Or a successful surgical operation, instead of thanking the doctor, they thank God. Some illnesses that would have been treated led to deaths because a certain congregation who were supposed to take the ill persons to the hospital, circled around praying. Faith without work isn't it still dead?
I remember when I had stomach ulcer, it was really terrible, I prayed and made several promises to God that if He took away the ulcer, I'd drink no more alcohol and will be more devout in worshipping Him. That didn't solve anything though, I stopped drinking and took to taking my drugs more seriously. Weeks later, I was well. I returned to drinking and after a few months, the ulcer resurfaced. That was when I realized I really needed to quit drinking. Prayers wouldn't have solved that issue.
I spent 80% of 2019 at home because of my misgivings about God's existence.
I really wish I could be convinced about God's existence because I'm not even happy to be away from Church because of the views of friends and family.

4. Children of God, or so called children of God tend to suffer more tribulations, hard times and desperate moments, a lot of them scream "Vanity upon Vanity" when secular people live in luxury or spend extravagantly. God tends to turn his back on those who worship Him especially when they need Him most.
The 1933 Holocaust and mass murder of Jews to the tone of 6m was a clear indication that God turns His eyes against His people
Repulsive comments are highly welcome

you wrote all 'these' out of your wantonness and folly talk less of the veil that the Lord is about to remove from your eyes.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Obi1kenobi(m): 4:42pm On Dec 30, 2019
midnighter:

Lol oh gosh! Excuse me, did he mention the fact that we are being run by a bunch of numbskulls and imperialist puppets before he started wailing about churches and prayers?

He clearly said "If theres any God anywhere, Nigeria would have been a better country by now" which is apportioning the blame to God without mentioning anything related to our own responsibilities apart from prayer. na so we go dey sidon one side dey pray while our country goes even further into the abyss? Which better country? When people cant even stand in a straight line when waiting for an ATM machine mtchew dont make me laugh!

There is not a single soul who does not know the pathologies of Nigerians, so these are digressions that are irrelevant to the point you responded to. You yourself are simply pointing out the futility of prayer. Blaming God is not the issue. The issue is that religion is a futile endeavor with no effect on our material circumstances.

By the way what is religious about Nigeria? In the sense of active faith, organisation and infrastructure? God is a god of order and not open gutters, unkempt policemen and gluttonous politicians so I dont see where He is supposed to come into it when we are busy being stupid and incompetent.

He is even being kind to us right now; do you know the type of serious disasters we are supposed to have experienced by now if not for God? Hm! This thread is becoming very funny o!

Ah, employing a variant of the "no true Scotsman" fallacy. To be religious has a clear definition and doesn't mean what you want it to mean. If I profess to be a believer in Christ, I'm a Christian. If I go to church every Sunday, I'm a Christian. It doesn't matter if I dump all my garbage in the gutter or commit every sin in the book - I'm still religious by any definition of being religious. Plenty of cultured people are not religious. Plenty of uncultured savages are religious. It's the way of the world. There is a strong correlation between religiosity and poverty, or religiosity and a comparative lack of education. So yes, those unkempt, dirty, disorderly people you talk of are more likely to be religious than other people.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Nobody: 4:43pm On Dec 30, 2019
ptkoncept:
[color=#990000][/color]you are dying gradually and you dont know....gbabe

Nobody is going to live forever on this earth. So in that sense, we are all passing by.

Strictly speaking, nothing in existence ever dies. Just a change of state. Think about it.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Nobody: 4:43pm On Dec 30, 2019
englishmart:
I guess I'm beginning to wake up to that reality.

you are waking up to a fictitious world of which satan as recommend and blinded you into...

Jesus mentioned in the book of Revelations "...that I might annoint your eyes with eye salve that you may see..."

I recommend the same eye salve for you...
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by janettee(f): 4:44pm On Dec 30, 2019
FrLukas:

So you too believe Hollywood? You must be a teenager. I remember as teenagers then, we'd watch Superman and believe he was real.

Hey kiddo, it was a joke!!.

Now run along! cool.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Savagethe21st(m): 4:45pm On Dec 30, 2019
U can be an atheist but don't come to influence other peoples choices

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W90ebtj21t4 Hello guys i'm a producer in my teens from lagos NIGERIA chasing my dreams.It would be a huge blessing if someone checked out my beats and subscribe to channel. Comment what you think or corrections.Thanks and Godbless.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Nobody: 4:50pm On Dec 30, 2019
midnighter:

Lol the thing is sounding extremely funny o, Jesus just came down and told somebody to drive bullion van through the streets of Lagos lmao

Atheist are the most entitled, bitter, angry sets of people in the universe ...they blame God for everything, they automatically want the “love” and “mercy” attribute of God to fallaciously mean no one should not die, fall sick or suffer and they must always get a yes answer to their request.....

and that’s why their greatest enemy isn’t the” non-existence God” but people like them who believe in God...I mean for a God who doesn’t exist, they put in too much effort insulting him...

.. just see their statement, all they do is rant about what God ddnt do.. all they do is insult, I read tru some of the thread, one complained that God ddnt give him a job when he asked hence he doesnt exist, another said something like nothing created the us cos a God who allow others distort his word has no power ....very fallacious thinking sets of people
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Liposure: 4:50pm On Dec 30, 2019
U are 2 much.everything u ever say is always on point. [quote author=midnighter post=85348581]

Nobody is blaming anybody for being Can you blame somebody for inheriting sickle cell disease? Or do you do your best to make sure you treat their illness?

Its funny that you should mention Iraq, which has an indigenous Christian minority and which has a Muslim population that at least partially understands the significance of Christ.

You dont have license to assume that Christianity cannot flourish anywhere, especially in Mesopotamia where so many biblical events took place in ancient times. Do you know that the areas of Assyria and Babylon are both located in Iraq? So who are you to say these cannot once again become relevant to God's kingdom

Promoting peace and unity between different faiths is exactly what a practising Christian does. It is not mutually exclusive from preaching the gospel and that comment shows that youre speaking from a biased perspective, like I

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Nobody: 4:51pm On Dec 30, 2019
janettee:

[s]Hey kiddo, it was a joke!!.

Now run along! cool.[/s]

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Nobody: 4:52pm On Dec 30, 2019
Snowale:
Just like I said earlier, many Bible verses are ambiguous, coupled with some modifications, translation errors, many versions, different writters, and many languages. Some Bible version might clearly state the explanation of the ambiguity it want the followers to obey. Eg. By putting Holy spirit in bracket after the comforter.
You gave an explanation which Christains gives. I will say, Just like other prophets, they all said something about the prophet that will rise after them, Jesus never said he was the last, that's why he said the comforter would 'speak of him', meaning the comforter would be a man, All Jesus preaching to his disciples, are not for the disciples alone, but to man generally. It might be the disciples that listened to them, but it isn't for them alone, that's why it's written in the Bible. It's either Jesus doesn't know the exact time the comforter would come or the disciples are in sorrow because the world is about to loose a powerful prophet.
You must be a sufii going by your answers
aren't you
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by orunto27: 4:55pm On Dec 30, 2019
You are grossly INDISCIPLINED.
How old are you? And what is your Discipline?
Adeboye is a Mathematician.
Kumuyi is a Mathematician.
Oyakhilome is an Achitect.
Oyedepo is a Physicist.
T.B Joshua is a Philosopher and a Wizard just like the Pope in Rome.
Go and read more about Electrons and the difference between The First Adam and The Second will be clearer to you. And you will not be mad anymore about God, Jesus and The Holy Spirit. The Bible is just a Supreme Guide to human Life(Actions, Interactions and Movements-AIMs).

From Orisa37:
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Liposure: 4:56pm On Dec 30, 2019
[quote author=midnighter post=85348581]

U 2 much

Nobody is blaming anybody for being born into a sinful state. Can you blame somebody for inheriting sickle cell disease? Or do you do your best to make sure you treat their illness?

Its funny that you should mention Iraq, which has an indigenous Christian minority and which has a Muslim population that at least partially understands the significance of Christ.

You dont have license to assume that Christianity cannot flourish anywhere, especially in Mesopotamia where so many biblical events took place in ancient times. Do you know that the areas of Assyria and Babylon are both located in Iraq? So who are you to say these cannot once again become relevant to God's kingdom

Promoting peace and unity between different faiths is exactly what a practising Christian does. It is not mutually exclusive from preaching the gospel and that comment shows that youre speaking from a biased perspective, like I

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Acehart: 4:59pm On Dec 30, 2019
DAVE5:

Hmmnn, enjoyment at other people’s expense, some of those people barely have 3 square meals daily, well make I no speak further before I sin against my spirit

happy holidays

Close your eyes against them. Look to Christ. Do you know what you can do to those whom you perceive to be false prophets? Read your Bible and resource from Reformed theologians like a mad man. When you come out like Jeremiah to write, the whole world will catch fire; and they will not know what hit them.

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by WebSurfer(m): 5:01pm On Dec 30, 2019
Derrinclay:

Don't get me wrong but,I truelly believe in God,not because i am a Christian but because of the wonders of this world,just imagine how perfect the earth is I.e perfect for life to florish ,if the earth was any closer we would fry, abit father we will freeze this is not even up to 1 percent of the conditions made perfect for life to thrieve ,I don't question the existence of God,my problem really is with "suffering" I have seen a lot of people suffer ,innocent lives perish and the wicked keep enjoying, I mean if God is so Good why does he allow us to suffer cry cry

If you continue like this, you might never get it right

Anyway, i was once like that. Christian and ignorant
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by emmahoney(m): 5:03pm On Dec 30, 2019
Africa is the worst continent to renounce religion. Most Africans are too judgemental, they enjoy being fooled and they like fooling themselves!

Religion is nothing but anthropogenic and that is the major reason we have many religions across the globe. All religious books have flaws in them, however, they also contain wisdom. But I wouldn't allowed myself to be fooled that certain religious books are infallible. The definition of faith alone tells a lot about religion.

Finally, live and let live. The world would have been a better place without all these religions. They have done more harm than good. They have made some parts of the world to rely on sky daddy and gods in solving their problems. Unfortunately, these problems are left unsolved!

Note: No religious fellas should quote me as I will not reply you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Sam646: 5:05pm On Dec 30, 2019
englishmart:
This invariably means those who don't believe in Jesus have no business in heaven.
Islam records an estimate of 1.9 billion adherents, Hindu has an estimated 1.1bn adherents. The remaining world's population have their own beliefs which includes atheism.
If Jesus is the only way to God, what happens to those who don't believe in him? Hell? Well, the Bible suggests so.

2. There are a lot of complications and contradictory remarks in the Bible- a verse says don't drink, another says "Drink for your stomach sake", or "Do not drink wherein excess."
Malachi 3:10 a famous Bible verse on tithing speaks about bringing your tithe to the storehouse (church, maybe)
Deuteronomy 14:22-26 says otherwise, it says "you should drink and be merry with your tithe". I'm seriously beginning to doubt the credibility of the Bible. Maybe the translators' fault or God told writers different stories on the same issue. Read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John's account of Jesus and see real contradictions.

3. Does God answer prayers? Well, I'm not really sure about that. Someone might be suffering from malaria, the person takes drugs and still prays, the drugs work, but the person thanks God. Or a successful surgical operation, instead of thanking the doctor, they thank God. Some illnesses that would have been treated led to deaths because a certain congregation who were supposed to take the ill persons to the hospital, circled around praying. Faith without work isn't it still dead?
I remember when I had stomach ulcer, it was really terrible, I prayed and made several promises to God that if He took away the ulcer, I'd drink no more alcohol and will be more devout in worshipping Him. That didn't solve anything though, I stopped drinking and took to taking my drugs more seriously. Weeks later, I was well. I returned to drinking and after a few months, the ulcer resurfaced. That was when I realized I really needed to quit drinking. Prayers wouldn't have solved that issue.
I really wish I could be convinced about God's existence because I'm not even happy to be away from Church because of the views of friends and family.

4. Children of God, or so called children of God tend to suffer more tribulations, hard times and desperate moments, a lot of them scream "Vanity upon Vanity" when secular people live in luxury or spend extravagantly. God tends to turn his back on those who worship Him especially when they need Him most.
The 1933 Holocaust and mass murder of Jews to the tone of 6m was a clear indication that God turns His eyes against His people

Hebrews 11 vs 6 says but without faith it is impossible to please God. He that comes to God must believe that He exists and He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.
#God is real.
#Heaven is real.
#Hell is real
So seek Him while He may be found.
#Make the right choice!!
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by yahmohy27: 5:11pm On Dec 30, 2019
Mustack:

Am sorry..
You thought he really needs to worship the true GOD
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Nobody: 5:13pm On Dec 30, 2019
MJBOLT:
nobody knows who created or how life started

I like ur answer.

And ur answer doesn't mean God does not exist.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Shimran(m): 5:14pm On Dec 30, 2019
englishmart:

Nice to share with us your view on religious beliefs
First I am a religious follower. In this thread, I wish to seek for your favor, time and knowledge to be getting in touch with you so that I, personally can learn from you
It would be with gratitude if this request is been considered.
Regards

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by MJBOLT: 5:15pm On Dec 30, 2019
there are no evidences to support the existence of any god

PrecisionFx:

I like ur answer.

And ur answer doesn't mean God does not exist.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by MiltonFine: 5:16pm On Dec 30, 2019
midnighter:

You are still not getting the point. That the "Fall of the first humans" is seen as a metaphor by some people doesnt negate the fact that human beings are inherently evil. So what is your solution to that evil

How do we atone for the billions of sins that are being committed right now?
You don't. You just live and let live. A very wise man once wrote "Generations come and generations go, but the earth remains forever."(Ecclesiastes 1:4)
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Nobody: 5:16pm On Dec 30, 2019
MJBOLT:
there are no evidences to support the existence of any god

Yep, I believe so too.

But it still doesn't mean that there's no God cheesy

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Liposure: 5:16pm On Dec 30, 2019
midnighter:

So you dont believe wrongdoing should be punished?
babe, u too much.am just reading all ur comment on this thread n am astonished at ur level of intelligence. OMG what manner of woman are you

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Nobody: 5:17pm On Dec 30, 2019
midnighter:

You are still not getting the point. That the "Fall of the first humans" is seen as a metaphor by some people doesnt negate the fact that human beings are inherently evil. So what is your solution to that evil

How do we atone for the billions of sins that are being committed right now?

I am not inherently evil.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by princeogbeide1(m): 5:19pm On Dec 30, 2019
Atayis:
have you been baptized by the holy spirit? It is digusting that over the years, you have been honouring God with your mouth, not your heart.
Improve your spiritual life and you will have the encounter of God

Fool
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by DAVE5(m): 5:21pm On Dec 30, 2019
Acehart:

Close your eyes against them. Look to Christ. Do you know what you can do to those whom you perceive to be false prophets? Read your Bible and resource from Reformed theologians like a mad man. When you come out like Jeremiah to write, the whole world will catch fire; and they will not know what hit them.

Lol, e clear say u just dey whine me, wehdone sir
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by midnighter(f): 5:36pm On Dec 30, 2019
PrecisionFx:

I am not inherently evil.

Yes, you are.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by wavylevel: 5:39pm On Dec 30, 2019
Acehart:
You seem not to have read the Bible cover-to-cover. It is very glaring right from the first pages of the Bible that Children of God suffer. You should read Psalms 73 to see what we, the children of God, go through when we see the wicked enjoying while we suffer.

From what I insinuated earlier, you read the Christian scriptures sparingly but you sound like you know the word of God page to page (but it has disappointed you).

Suffering achieves two things for the children of God:

1. To expunge the love of sin in us. This is when suffering comes as judgement (discipline).

2. To bring out the nature God made us for. (This is what many call the Gethsemane experience. Gethsemane means Garden of pressing. (There was an oil press factory in that garden)).

The two points seem like the same except that point two makes the Child of God become helpless and makes his total hope to be on God. Our old, unreformed, nature is hostile to God. After becoming saved, that nature still lingers. God uses suffering to remove that nature and leaves us with the pure nature he made us in - the nature of Christ.

All from a Jewish themed book?

So your God ignored other races and spoke only to the Jews?

You are not ready.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by WebSurfer(m): 5:42pm On Dec 30, 2019
cooltola:

The parts that was broken to form earth? How these parts come to existence. Randoms dusts sticking to each other and become a part if I am guessing. And the dust, random protons and electron atoms become dust? Then I ask how to the protons came to existence.

don’t be dumb bro. How do we have mosquitos and flies ?

How do you think the earth was formed

Do you ask yourself maybe if there was a natural disaster at one time which divided the continents?

Do you know earth is about 3.5-6 billion years old ?

Do you even know the oldest fossil found dates back to over 300,000 years ago ? (Christianity or Adam wouldn’t even be created then)

There are alot of things wikipedia will expose you to only if you dedicate your time into thorough research

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (30) (Reply)

It Is A Sin For Ladies To Put On Trousers To Church Because Bible Condemns It / ‘No Controversy Over My US Election Prophecy’ - TB Joshua / Virgin Mary Miracle Of The Sun In Lagos On 28th Oct. 2017 (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.