Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,049 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist - Religion (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist (57183 Views)

Re: Here Are 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist PART 2 / Re: Here Are 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist / I'm An Atheist That Thinks That Premarital Sex Is Wrong. Is This Unusual? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by DeepSight(m): 12:00pm On Jan 02, 2020
midnighter:

If you read your post back you will see that the way you answered me was too flippant and insincere to warrant any serious response. So we have reached the end of the truncated road.

Bye!

OK - Gentleman's code: I apologize if I came across that way.
Please accept.

Its just what you said wondering how the world is terrible. Surely you have read or watched some history, and surely you read the news.
No vex, I really am asking these questions from a point of view of sincerity.

PS: Have a look at my old topics on this forum. You will see I am anything but flippant.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by k4kenny(f): 12:17pm On Jan 02, 2020
midnighter:

You totally ignored the rest of the passage that I posted and ended up repeating yourself and going off the point, which I notice you have a habit of doing when the conversation is not going your way.

You are totally unserious lol tisbah aala khair ya ukhti kiss Better put your own education to good use and learn to read before responding!

O only responded to what was worth responding to. The rest was total hogwash formulated by men of ancient times. Majority of your faith is not based in what Jesus (PBUH) said, rather it's what the early church have decided to brainwash people with. It's no wonder that Christianity is the fastest depreciating religion(Google it), the same Europeans that enslaved our ancestors' minds with cockandbull stories are leaving Christianity in their masses.

Once again, use your mind. It's a gift we must put to good use.

Thanks for the good wishes kiss
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by k4kenny(f): 12:19pm On Jan 02, 2020
adeniyi65:
This looks like philosophical class to me.from my experience combine with all i have read so far from this thread,I think Christianity has produce more atheists than any other religion in the globe.

An atheist actually a very similar quote. He said 'the bible has made more people atheists than any book written by Darwin'.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Daejoyoung: 12:22pm On Jan 02, 2020
k4kenny:

O only responded to what was worth responding to. The rest was total hogwash formulated by men of ancient times. Majority of your faith is not based in what Jesus (PBUH) said, rather it's what the early church have decided to brainwash people with. It's no wonder that Christianity is the fastest depreciating religion(Google it), the same Europeans that enslaved our ancestors' minds with cockandbull stories are leaving Christianity in their masses.

lf you reject christianity's cockandbull stories, why don't you reject those in islam too? For example in Surah 33v53. Does that verse come across to you as the words written by God or Muhammad? Just read it again without the initial assumption that the Quran must be the word of God.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by midnighter(f): 12:23pm On Jan 02, 2020
k4kenny:

Lol! As if the Qur'an wasnt written on bits of animal skin and leaves and some of it wasnt totally discarded years after the Prophet's saww death cheesy Dont make me laugh babe. Youre the one who has been enslaved and you dont even care to realise it.

Bye!
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by DeepSight(m): 12:25pm On Jan 02, 2020
k4kenny:

An atheist actually a very similar quote. He said 'the bible has made more people atheists than any book written by Darwin'.

The Bible is indeed corrupt, but my dear, so is the Quoran. There's a lot of negative energy in the Quoran. And it manifests itself in today's terrorism.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Daejoyoung: 12:26pm On Jan 02, 2020
k4kenny:

That's not necessarily a bad thing sometimes in my opinion. l am not an atheist neither do l support atheism, but l'll prefer one reads the bible and become an atheist who follows a lot of the teachings of jesus, than for one to read the bible and become a religious fanatic who doesn't even seek to understand the teachings of jesus.
Both are not the best options in my opinion, but l prefer the former to the latter.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by DeepSight(m): 12:27pm On Jan 02, 2020
Daejoyoung:

That's not necessarily a bad thing sometimes in my opinion. l am not an atheist neither do l support atheism, but l'll prefer one reads the bible and become an atheist who follows a lot of the teachings of jesus, than for one to read the bible and become a religious fanatic who doesn't even seek to understand the teachings of jesus.
Both are not the best options in my opinion, but l prefer the former to the latter.

Very well said.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jan 02, 2020
midnighter:

Lol! As if the Qur'an wasnt written on bits of animal skin and leaves and some of it wasnt totally discarded years after the Prophet's saww death cheesy Dont make me laugh babe. Youre the one who has been enslaved and you dont even care to realise it.

Bye!

You are quite resilient...:I’ve been it at for mores over 3days.....your husband or boyfriend must be someone that will willingly concede defeat....cos u are clearly someone that will never let go of a matter
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by midnighter(f): 12:31pm On Jan 02, 2020
DeepSight:

OK - Gentleman's code: I apologize if I came across that way.
Please accept.

Its just what you said wondering how the word is terrible. Surely you have read or watched some history, and surely you have watched the news.
No vex, I really am asking these questions from a point of view of sincerity.

PS: Have a look at my old topics on this forum. You will see I am anything but flippant.

This is the problem. I asked you in what way, I mean using what indices are you describing the entire planet as being "terrible".

Watching the news is not the point. You would be indignant at the behaviour of foreign news outlets who insist on painting a bleak picture of Africa. Unfortunate-looking children with distended bellies and flies crawling all over their eyeballs and mouths. My, my, isnt that continent a "terrible" place?

At least you tried a little by mentioning history. At some point, the majority of people in Western Europe were hapless, illiterate peasants eking out some meagre existence riddled with dirt and disease and at another, a golden age of enlightenment in science and medicine swept over the Islamic world. Now, what does Egypt look like today? How does Germany look?

Human experience and endeavour is too vast and varied for you to think you could get away with labelling the whole thing "terrible" and even have the guts to become indignant when somebody asks you to justify it.

You will notice that I quoted that part of your post below your exposition on the "ugliness" of existence, because I am hinting at a larger point. Namely, is it not small-minded to consider the "cesspit of misery" only in today's terms?

I mean I actually want to know, combined with your assertion that God owes us an apology for putting us through this "sadistic experiment", what makes you think that people's lives will always be miserable, all the time when that is so obviously not the case.

Apparently considering the issue holistically makes me a child smh
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Daejoyoung: 12:31pm On Jan 02, 2020
k4kenny:

This verse from the quran is enough evidence to make a person like me become an atheist. Why should such a verse be in the quran?

ﮕ ﮖ ﮗ ﮘ ﮙ ﮚ ﮛ ﮜ ﮝ ﮞ ﮟ ﮠ ﮡ ﮢ ﮣ ﮤ ﮥ ﮦ ﮧ ﮨ ﮩ ﮪ ﮫ ﮬ ﮭ ﮮ ﮯﮰ ﮱ ﯓ ﯔ ﯕ ﯖ ﯗ ﯘﯙ ﯚ ﯛ ﯜ ﯝ ﯞﯟ ﯠ ﯡ ﯢ ﯣ ﯤ ﯥ ﯦﯧ ﯨ ﯩ ﯪ ﯫﯬ ﯭ ﯮ ﯯ ﯰ ﯱ ﯲ ﯳ ﯴ ﯵ ﯶ ﯷ ﯸ ﯹ ﯺﯻ ﯼ ﯽ ﯾ ﯿ ﰀ ﰁ
SAHIH INTERNATIONAL
O you who have believed, do not enter the houses of the Prophet except when you are permitted for a meal, without awaiting its readiness. But when you are invited, then enter; and when you have eaten, disperse without seeking to remain for conversation. Indeed, that [behavior] was troubling the Prophet, and he is shy of [dismissing] you. But Allah is not shy of the truth. And when you ask [his wives] for something, ask them from behind a partition. That is purer for your hearts and their hearts. And it is not [conceivable or lawful] for you to harm the Messenger of Allah or to marry his wives after him, ever. Indeed, that would be in the sight of Allah an enormity.
Surah 33v53
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by midnighter(f): 12:36pm On Jan 02, 2020
1StopRudeness:

You are quite resilient...:I’ve been it at for mores over 3days.....your husband or boyfriend must be someone that will willingly concede defeat....cos u are clearly someone that will never let go of a matter

Lol the discussion is interesting, thats all cheesy Anyway you should tell that to these one who are arguing with me smh
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by muzilala: 12:40pm On Jan 02, 2020
englishmart:
1.Jesus is the only way to God, John 14:6
This invariably means those who don't believe in Jesus have no business in heaven.
Christians worldwide have an estimated population of 2.4billion people
Islam records an estimate of 1.9 billion adherents, Hindu has an estimated 1.1bn adherents. The remaining world's population have their own beliefs which includes atheism.
If Jesus is the only way to God, what happens to those who don't believe in him? Hell? Well, the Bible suggests so.

2. There are a lot of complications and contradictory remarks in the Bible- a verse says don't drink, another says "Drink for your stomach sake", or "Do not drink wherein excess."
Malachi 3:10 a famous Bible verse on tithing speaks about bringing your tithe to the storehouse (church, maybe)
Deuteronomy 14:22-26 says otherwise, it says "you should drink and be merry with your tithe". I'm seriously beginning to doubt the credibility of the Bible. Maybe the translators' fault or God told writers different stories on the same issue. Read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John's account of Jesus and see real contradictions.

3. Does God answer prayers? Well, I'm not really sure about that. Someone might be suffering from malaria, the person takes drugs and still prays, the drugs work, but the person thanks God. Or a successful surgical operation, instead of thanking the doctor, they thank God. Some illnesses that would have been treated led to deaths because a certain congregation who were supposed to take the ill persons to the hospital, circled around praying. Faith without work isn't it still dead?
I remember when I had stomach ulcer, it was really terrible, I prayed and made several promises to God that if He took away the ulcer, I'd drink no more alcohol and will be more devout in worshipping Him. That didn't solve anything though, I stopped drinking and took to taking my drugs more seriously. Weeks later, I was well. I returned to drinking and after a few months, the ulcer resurfaced. That was when I realized I really needed to quit drinking. Prayers wouldn't have solved that issue.
I spent 80% of 2019 at home because of my misgivings about God's existence.
I really wish I could be convinced about God's existence because I'm not even happy to be away from Church because of the views of friends and family.

4. Children of God, or so called children of God tend to suffer more tribulations, hard times and desperate moments, a lot of them scream "Vanity upon Vanity" when secular people live in luxury or spend extravagantly. God tends to turn his back on those who worship Him especially when they need Him most.
The 1933 Holocaust and mass murder of Jews to the tone of 6m was a clear indication that God turns His eyes against His people
Repulsive comments are highly welcome

Scripture quotations are taken from The New American Standard Bible.

Thank you for seeking guidance. I will address your concerns in the order in which they are written.

There is no one reason or group of them which would justify anyone turning their back to God. The ratio of people in heaven versus hell should not determine one's view of biblical truth. Sinners the world over should rejoice that God gave His Son to provide the one and only way of salvation. It is enough. Hell apart from Christ is not a suggestion, it is a certainty! That so many refuse God's gracious, inestimable gift of eternal life is astounding and testifies to the utter, wretched sinfulness of mankind versus the unalterable goodness of God. "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 6:23)

I would be among those who do not view the Bible as either complicated nor contradictory. Through the years I have found that those who do, fail to study it properly or worse, have not yet trusted Christ as their Savior. "As also in all his (Paul's), letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction." (2 Peter 3:16) "But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised." (1 Corinthians 2:14) 

"No longer drink water exclusively, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments." (1 Timothy 5:23)

It is remarkable that so many people who know almost nothing else in the Bible seem quite familiar with this verse, using it as their favorite biblical justification for drinking intoxicating beverages. Assuming that it was fermented wine, Paul was simply prescribing a little of it as a medicine for Timothy's frequent digestive disorders, apparently aggravated by the contaminated water of the region. Alcohol is a germicide, and there are many medicines used today which contain small amounts of alcohol for that reason. Paul had to urge Timothy to take, even "a little wine" for his medicinal needs. At most therefore, people can only justifiably refer to this verse as authorizing the use of small amounts of bacteria-killing alcohol for medicinal purposes. (quoted from The New Defender's Study Bible)

The clear admonition from God's Word is to remain sober minded at all times. Failure in this regard results in all sorts of heartache. "The end of all things is near; therefore, be of sound judgment (clear minded), and sober spirit (self-controlled), for the purpose of prayer." (1 Peter 4:7)

It is a mistake to equate Old Testament Mosaic Law "tithing" with New Testament "giving."  "On the first day of every week each one of you is to put aside and save, as he may prosper, so that no collections be made when I come. Now this I say, he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." (1 Corinthians 16:2, 2 Corinthians 9:6-7) Please read further the helpful archived answers on GotQuestions.org website about giving.         

God does answer prayer in three ways yes, no and wait. The Bible commands us to pray and gives many examples of answered prayer in varied circumstances. "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you." (James 4:8a) "The effective (earnest), prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much." (James 5:16b) One of my favorite prayers has to do with wisdom. The understanding of God's Word brings about such reasoned confidence. "But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him." (James 1:5)

The history of mankind in relation to God, preserved for us in the Bible, is enough to substantiate His existence for me, especially in regard to Jesus. "But these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name." (John 20:31) Since trusting Christ with all my heart (becoming "born again"wink, I also have the internal witness of God. "The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God," (Romans 8:16)  

Trusting in God's existence is not enough to get you to heaven. What is necessary is believing in the death and resurrection of Jesus according to the Scriptures on your behalf. I am glad you have family and friends who recognize the importance of church attendance; however obedience to God in regard to the way of salvation is always more important than pleasing people.

Yes, followers of Christ may encounter severe opposition. Yet the Bible assures believers that His grace will be sufficient, accompanied by a peace that passes understanding. . "And He has said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." (2 Corinthians 12:9a) "And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:7) Too often believers do not avail themselves of God's provision for victorious living. Granted, there is a learning process as Paul stated. "I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need." (Philippians 4:12)  

Jesus' words to Peter in regard to other's circumstances (good or bad), is what you also should act upon. "What is that to you? You follow Me!" (John 21:22)

The Bible reveals God's plan of salvation. My advice to you is read the New Testament seeking God with all your heart. Especially note phrases or sentences pertaining to eternal life and trust in them. My hope for you is that one day soon you will rejoice that your name is written in the book of life. "And nothing unclean, and no one who practices abomination and lying, shall ever come into it, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life." (Revelation 21:27)

God is well aware of the ramifications of failure to believe upon His Son Jesus Christ. All generations have been witnessed to; some better than others. It may be that God wants your involvement in this very important activity. It certainly is what GotQuestions.org strives for.

"And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, 'All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always , even to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:18-20)

"And they went out, and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them, and confirmed the word by the signs that followed. And they promptly reported all these instructions to Peter and his companions. And after that, Jesus Himself sent out through them from east to west the sacred and imperishable proclamation of eternal salvation." (Mark 16:20)

"And He said to them, 'Thus it is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise from the dead the third day, and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem." (Luke 24:46-47)

"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth." (Acts 1:8-9)

Saving faith comes by the reading/hearing of God's Word. Disregarding the Bible is leading many to eternal separation from God.

"When the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire, dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, when He comes to be glorified in His saints on that day, and to be marveled at among all who have believed for our testimony to you was believed." (2 Thessalonians 1:7b-10)

"How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher?" (Romans 10:14)

"So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ." (Romans 10:17)

God is not through with His covenant nation of Israel. A remnant is being saved even now, believing Jews and Gentiles forming the body of Christ, the Church. There is coming a time when all Israel will be saved; perhaps during the millennial reign of Christ. "There is neither Jew nor Greek (Gentile), there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus." (Galatians 3:28) "For I do not want you, brethren, to be uninformed of this mystery - so that you will not be wise in your own estimation - that a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in; and so all Israel will be saved; just as it is written, 'The Deliverer will come from Zion, He will remove ungodliness from Jacob, this is My covenant with them, when I take away their sins." (Romans 11:25-26)

Recommended music: How Firm A Foundation

Recommended resource: Delight & Disciplines of Bible Study: A Guidebook for Studying God's Word by Warren W. Wiersbe
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jan 02, 2020
midnighter:

Lol the discussion is interesting, thats all cheesy Anyway you should tell that to these one who are arguing with me smh

I don’t argue with atheist anymore.... I believe they are necessary....their questioning and doubt will help challenge christaindom and Muslimdom and with time help remove the human-constructed, selfish part of worshipping and honoring God....

China has already started making moves to adjust the Bible and Quran thus avoid banning it so as to reflect more tolerant doctrines over time

the truth is religion which is man made has messed up faith in God..we so called religious people are even found displaying unholy and dis-speakable acts....we have used “God is loving and will forgive” to erase the need for total consecration and holiness which the people of the world should know us for...we just ritually go to church and raise “holy”hands..there’s really no difference btw us and them...in some weird occasions... they are even better than us

...however, God has always been clear. In the book of Isaiah he said that there will come a time no one will force his fellow man to come and meet God, cos we would know in our hearts that he is God and we will be his people.....long before all this religion people just knew there was something greater than them in the universe....I believe that these period that people are becoming less interested in religion, questioning everything is kinda expected and good as it will usher in the phase God talked about in Isaiah ..
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by midnighter(f): 2:24pm On Jan 02, 2020
1StopRudeness:

I don’t argue with atheist anymore.... I believe they are necessary....their questioning and doubt will help challenge christaindom and Muslimdom and with time help remove the human-constructed, selfish part of worshipping and honoring God....

China has already started making moves to adjust the Bible and Quran thus avoid banning it so as to reflect more tolerant doctrines over time

the truth is religion which is man made has messed up faith in God..we so called religious people are even found displaying unholy and dis-speakable acts....we have used “God is loving and will forgive” to erase the need for total consecration and holiness which the people of the world should know us for...we just ritually go to church and raise “holy”hands..there’s really no difference btw us and them...in some weird occasions... they are even better than us

...however, God has always been clear. In the book of Isaiah he said that there will come a time no one will force his fellow man to come and meet God, cos we would know in our hearts that he is God and we will be his people.....long before all this religion people just knew there was something greater than them in the universe....I believe that these period that people are becoming less interested in religion, questioning everything is kinda expected and good as it will usher in the phase God talked about in Isaiah ..

Well not all the people commenting are atheists, moreover the problem is not being an atheist but being somebody who refuses to think critically about an issue or consider an alternative point of view.

Some of the responses I have gotten on here were just wildly off the point, not because the person is an illiterate but because they refuse to accommodate my argument.

You can see some of them flaring up over nothing and you can see others point-blank refusing to stick to the topic, just because it doesnt suit their emotions. Isnt that what they accuse so-called "religious fanatics" of doing

Remember that Christians are supposed to be the stupid and irrational ones but if we're so brainwashed, why cant you accept somebodys statement and disprove it without wailing? It should be easy enough
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by DeepSight(m): 2:49pm On Jan 02, 2020
midnighter:

This is the problem. I asked you in what way, I mean using what indices are you describing the entire planet as being "terrible".

Lets start with death and disease.

With respect to death, does it not concern you just a litte that at some date in the not too far future, everyone you love will simply simply disappear - to a place and realm you cannot say for sure?

Watching the news is not the point. You would be indignant at the behaviour of foreign news outlets who insist on painting a bleak picture of Africa. Unfortunate-looking children with distended bellies and flies crawling all over their eyeballs and mouths. My, my, isnt that continent a "terrible" place?

Fair enough, although you surely agree there is sufficient distress in the world to raise questions about the motives of the creator.

At least you tried a little by mentioning history. At some point, the majority of people in Western Europe were hapless, illiterate peasants eking out some meagre existence riddled with dirt and disease and at another, a golden age of enlightenment in science and medicine swept over the Islamic world. Now, what does Egypt look like today? How does Germany look?

Last I checked, people still suffer death and disease in Egypt and Germany.

Human experience and endeavour is too vast and varied for you to think you could get away with labelling the whole thing "terrible" and even have the guts to become indignant when somebody asks you to justify it.

Last I checked, all human beings die - regardless of how"vast and varied" their experiences are.

You will notice that I quoted that part of your post below your exposition on the "ugliness" of existence, because I am hinting at a larger point. Namely, is it not small-minded to consider the "cesspit of misery" only in today's terms?

Not sure I understand this, as my reference to history should make it clear I am not speaking about just "today's terms."

I mean I actually want to know, combined with your assertion that God owes us an apology for putting us through this "sadistic experiment", what makes you think that people's lives will always be miserable, all the time when that is so obviously not the case.

I didnt suggest things will always remain the same. Change is constant.

Apparently considering the issue holistically makes me a child smh

Once again my apologies for that jibe. I am over 40 and I dont know anyone of my generation who hasnt seen enough to understand how dark the world is.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by DeepSight(m): 2:56pm On Jan 02, 2020
midnighter:

. . . but being somebody who refuses to think critically about an issue or consider an alternative point of view.

How much critical thought have you put into your Christian faith, if I may ask. I would be specifically interested in any rational explanation of the following ideas -

1. The Trinity (if you believe it)
2. The doctrine of salvation by the sacrificial death of Jesus of Nazareth (if you believe it).

Secondly your last words above mentioned willingness to consider an alternative point of view. I would be very interested to know just how willing you are to consider alternate points of view yourself, thank you.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by midnighter(f): 3:46pm On Jan 02, 2020
DeepSight:

1. Lets start with death and disease.

With respect to death, does it not concern you just a litte that at some date in the not too far future, everyone you love will simply simply disappear - to a place and realm you cannot say for sure?

2. Fair enough, although you surely agree there is sufficient distress in the world to raise questions about the motives of the creator.

3. Last I checked, people still suffer death and disease in Egypt and Germany.

4. Last I checked, all human beings die - regardless of how"vast and varied" their experiences are.

5. Not sure I understand this, as my reference to history should make it clear I am not speaking about just "today's terms."

6. I didnt suggest things will always remain the same. Change is constant.

7. Once again my apologies for that jibe. I am over 40 and I dont know anyone of my generation who hasnt seen enough to understand how dark the world is.

1. Yes, it concerns me but in the grand scheme of things, I dont place that much emphasis on it personally because doing so is not particularly fruitful to me at this time.

2. I know that there is distress but mentioning the news is a red herring, because all the news does is capitalise on the distress, mostly for political gain. And in Christianity human suffering is the result of being in a fallen world, which you have already stated that you dont accept. So I dont have issue with the motives of the creator, and you do.

3. and 4. If youre going to keep dismissing the varied nature of life on earth with the fact that at the end, people still die then those 2 points wont mean anything to you. But I personally dont think the fact of death precludes or devalues the phenomenon of rich life experience.

5. + 6. So what were you suggesting? If change is constant then what is the essence of emphasising the ubiquity of human misery?

7. It's okay but truly I dont think this conversation will be profitable to either of us. I do not have any antidote to the problem of human mortality and you equally wont be able to convince me that the fact of it makes everything else meaningless.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by midnighter(f): 3:47pm On Jan 02, 2020
DeepSight:

How much critical thought have you put into your Christian faith, if I may ask. I would be specifically interested in any rational explanation of the following ideas -

2. The doctrine of salvation by the sacrificial death of Jesus of Nazareth (if you believe it).

Secondly your last words above mentioned willingness to consider an alternative point of view. I would be very interested to know just how willing you are to consider alternate points of view yourself, thank you.

Ive discussed the doctrine of salvation in the thread already, if you care to read in your spare time. What about the Trinity?

Not being able to rationally explain something does not mean that one hasnt thought critically about it before coming to the conclusion that it cant be rationally explained.

So even if I cant explain it, it doesnt make any difference. If youre waiting for me to explain how God can be one in three persons, I cant! Nobody can explain it fully cheesy Happy?

Thats not the same as somebody quoting something out of context and then literally refusing to check what its actually about or to accept that it has a different connotation to what they think it does. Or at least accommodating what I said and taking it from there on principle, even if you are not convinced.

At your second point; what is your point? I have read through the thread and seen things that I dont necessarily agree with but can level with; the statement you picked out was in reference to some conversations I saw here and not necessarily every single non-Christian who doesnt agree with me.

You are referring to my statements in terms of faith in general where I was answering another person on the discussion concerning specific issues in here which is why there is a discrepancy between what I said and what you are writing.

So there is no need to be offended on the behalf of the whole of non-Christendom as if I was insulting them, because I wasnt.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by healthserve(m): 5:23pm On Jan 02, 2020
DeepSight:

Although I have deactivated cheesy but you won't just keep me deactivated with something I picked. While I'm willing to indulge in a conversation on trinity my inactive forum status debars me from making extensive interactions and discussions as I believe I've passed my permissible active. timeline on the forum.

But for the sake of the Master himself, I choose not to be too stringent with my ethical code by just chipping a line of thought.

Just as I said earlier on the thread the the sun's existence is directly proportional to the existence and operatins/functionality of hell as both hell and Sun implies continous energy however in different forms and composition but of structure. Employing the same narrative in trinity discussions, if its hard for God to be three in one, why then should it not be relatable that man, God's creation is three in one-spirit, body and soul.?. If man the creation can be three in one, what makes His own creator unable to follow a similar narrative?... I'm sure you won't box God in your creative concept of what you think and assume His limitations should/ought to be. grin

If you stop fighting so hard to prove the inexistence of God, truths willbegin to appear in acceptablr forms but only if the mind/soul and heart that receives it first breaks its innermould of God's inexistence/partial existence

Finally, our inability to engage a thing rationally doesn't condition the things existence or inexistence as their ability to be isn't dependent on our thought lines
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Xbee007(m): 6:33pm On Jan 02, 2020
healthserve:

When people don't read/learn they don't improve/awaken and become stuck in a lot of misconceptions. Enjoy your ignorance my dear
Wow, the irony.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by themonk(m): 6:57pm On Jan 02, 2020
midnighter:

You totally ignored the rest of the passage that I posted and ended up repeating yourself and going off the point, which I notice you have a habit of doing when the conversation is not going your way.

You are totally unserious lol tisbah aala khair ya ukhti kiss Better put your own education to good use and learn to read before responding!

LOL, you now accuse someone of what you did when I was arguing with you. Religious people do not answer direct questions because their religion is crooked, never straight forward.

If you put 25 different pastors on a pulpit, they would give you 20 or more different interpretations of the bible and yet they claim to be under the same Holy Spirit.

How many denominations does Christianity have again? Some denominations their holy spirit told them that if a woman puts on trousers she would go to hell, other denominations their holy spirit told them that you must not wear earnings. The funny thing is that all these denominations supposedly does miracles and their members would have dreams and tell you that they dreamt were they wore trouser and went to hell or they saw that all catholics are going to hell. Religion is the greatest mass hallucination funded by mental masturbation ever. People cannot sit down and look at facts instead they are trying to help God prove that he exists.

You have to be an Atheist to the other 4200 distinct gods throughout history and gamble that your own God is the true God. Or you mentally masturbate with the bible verse that says "God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise" which also shows your God probably likes foolish people and not people who think. The different between you and an Atheist is that he denys existence of 4200 gods and you deny existence of 4199. If you were born a Muslim the probablity you'd be an Atheist to the Christian God is high.

The best thing to be is agnostic, just say you don't know, Your don't have to know everything and you must not follow the crowd.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Yugi(m): 7:42pm On Jan 02, 2020
hello op, I will be really grateful if you add my number and le us discuss on whatever issue on Christianity you don't understand. I bet you op these are issues thst can be understood by any one, only from those who knows what the Bible is all about 08134763379
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by EvangelistChuks(m): 7:44pm On Jan 02, 2020
Xbee007:

Going by your logic, God must have a creator too.
Creation is not open ended sir.Thats why we call God the uncreated CREATOR. I pray you encounter Him.VERY VERY SOON
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by k4kenny(f): 7:46pm On Jan 02, 2020
DeepSight:

The Bible is indeed corrupt, but my dear, so is the Quoran. There's a lot of negative energy in the Quoran. And it manifests itself in today's terrorism.

Today's terrorism has nothing to do with Islam. The verses people parade to butress their points that Islam supports terrorism are verses revealed at a specific period during periods the early Muslims were persecuted by the pagan Arabs. And the verses stress that they must'nt trangress the limits while fighting. The terrorists of today are hired mercenaries for their political agendas, they're NOT Muslims.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by englishmart(m): 7:49pm On Jan 02, 2020
khia:

Jew is only a religion not a people.
Israelites are called Jews also. Check your dictionary, if you don't mind.

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by k4kenny(f): 7:50pm On Jan 02, 2020
Daejoyoung:

This verse from the quran is enough evidence to make a person like me become an atheist. Why should such a verse be in the quran?

ﮕ ﮖ ﮗ ﮘ ﮙ ﮚ ﮛ ﮜ ﮝ ﮞ ﮟ ﮠ ﮡ ﮢ ﮣ ﮤ ﮥ ﮦ ﮧ ﮨ ﮩ ﮪ ﮫ ﮬ ﮭ ﮮ ﮯﮰ ﮱ ﯓ ﯔ ﯕ ﯖ ﯗ ﯘﯙ ﯚ ﯛ ﯜ ﯝ ﯞﯟ ﯠ ﯡ ﯢ ﯣ ﯤ ﯥ ﯦﯧ ﯨ ﯩ ﯪ ﯫﯬ ﯭ ﯮ ﯯ ﯰ ﯱ ﯲ ﯳ ﯴ ﯵ ﯶ ﯷ ﯸ ﯹ ﯺﯻ ﯼ ﯽ ﯾ ﯿ ﰀ ﰁ
SAHIH INTERNATIONAL
O you who have believed, do not enter the houses of the Prophet except when you are permitted for a meal, without awaiting its readiness. But when you are invited, then enter; and when you have eaten, disperse without seeking to remain for conversation. Indeed, that [behavior] was troubling the Prophet, and he is shy of [dismissing] you. But Allah is not shy of the truth. And when you ask [his wives] for something, ask them from behind a partition. That is purer for your hearts and their hearts. And it is not [conceivable or lawful] for you to harm the Messenger of Allah or to marry his wives after him, ever. Indeed, that would be in the sight of Allah an enormity.
Surah 33v53

What's wrong with the verse? One of the many instructions in the Qur'an.

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by k4kenny(f): 7:57pm On Jan 02, 2020
midnighter:

Bye!

No, it was fully memorised by thousands of people before it was put in book form. Today we have millions of people worldwide who have fully memorised the Qur'an IN ARABIC.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by Daejoyoung: 7:59pm On Jan 02, 2020
k4kenny:

What's wrong with the verse? One of the many instructions in the Qur'an.
To me it reads like Muhammed wrote this to prevent people from disturbing his peace. Lol.
l mean the verse says Muhammed is shy but allah is not shy to tell them, and so Allah had to help Muhammed here. This verse is quite amusing to me, to be honest.
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by midnighter(f): 8:54pm On Jan 02, 2020
k4kenny:

No, it was fully memorised by thousands of people before it was put in book form. Today we have millions of people worldwide who have fully memorised the Qur'an IN ARABIC.

cheesy And where has that recitation of an ancient text in an ancient language that takes years of study to understand fully gotten you people?

Gosh! Im not even supposed to be responding to this because yet again, youve gone outside of the point but the thing is sounding very funny.

Do you understand Qur'anic Arabic What exactly is the essence of millions of people "memorising" Arabic when they cant speak it?
Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by k4kenny(f): 6:57am On Jan 03, 2020
midnighter:

cheesy And where has that recitation of an ancient text in an ancient language that takes years of study to understand fully gotten you people?

Gosh! Im not even supposed to be responding to this because yet again, youve gone outside of the point but the thing is sounding very funny.

Do you understand Qur'anic Arabic What exactly is the essence of millions of people "memorising" Arabic when they cant speak it?

Arabic is not an ancient language. It's pretty much the same Arabic spoken today.

Yes I understand bits if it. Some non Arabs are quite fluent in it. I'm not fluent, but I understand quite a number of words, so I understand what's being said if I hear it's recitation. Besides there are translations to all languages for easy understanding, but we all recite it in Arabic. There's a reason for that.

How have I gone out of point in my responses? You deliberately ignore my responses and look for something off point to post. I haven't seen your response to the history of your flawed Trinitarian doctrine.

Re: 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist by damilarelr(m): 7:54am On Jan 03, 2020
predatorX:

If a wall is cracked and your solution is to paste another layer of plaster over it, that does not mean that the crack is gone. Changing churches does not solve the Op's underlying reservations about the bible.
I dare say, you may not even need religion to understand that a "God" exists. On the contrary, the past recorded accounts of events attributed to religion most definitely leads to a conclusion that a GOD like nothing in the holy books exists. I cannot understand a god who would sanction the numerous wars, genocides and rapes of the "enemies of Isra-el", or support the enemies of the Isra-elis when the tables are turned, and allow "his own people" to be raped and pilloried.

Help explain this!!!

Firstly, my response was directed at the Op - because his reasons for wanting out stem from biblical confusions. What you hear your Pastor preach has a way of establishing you and prevent you f dry om wanting to become an unbeliever.

Definitely, you don't need th he Bible to know if God exists. Everything around us speaks of His glory and majesty. I don't think I need to explain more than that.

As for the wars and retaliations recorded in the Bible, they are historical events of what happened to the Jewish nation - recorded for our own profiting today. Not that God hated/loved some people than the other, He's just being Gid when he allows it s as human to use the freewill given to us.

Why do we have good people and bad people? We are humans and we dominate this earth either by our own freewill or by being influenced by spiritual powers - good or evil.

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (Reply)

19-yr-old Pastor Impregnates Female Church Founder (PIC) / Apostle Johnson Suleman Arrives Cyprus For A Crusade (Photos) / What Women Pass Through In The Hands Of Fake Prophets(pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.