Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,815 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa (7465 Views)

Osinbajo: Seizure Of Funds By Obasanjo Made Lagos Think Like Sovereign State / Lagos Former Governors Have The World's Best Pension / Scenes Of Lagos, Former Capital Of Nigeria In 1967: Throwback Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by DMerciful(m): 8:28pm On Dec 30, 2019
Put a reliable source or else I'll take it as the usual beer parlour gossips!
LegendHer0:

My reference is not Wikipedia. It’s a common knowledge for intellectuals that not all Lagos state was initially part of the federal capital.

I used Wikipedia to back my assertions since it is a basic means of information. You can do a little research to understand better.

I’m not arguing with you, I am teaching you history. So it’s not a game of whether I’m right or wrong!
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Kapeter(m): 8:31pm On Dec 30, 2019
NimrodEndOfDays:
You are comparing your self with the SE that was levelled to the ground by a 3 year civil war?? God is wonderfulgrin
smh. You lots don't remember this before saying nonsense.

That your nonsensical region all put together don't even have the Landmass of Oyo state.

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by LegendHer0: 8:34pm On Dec 30, 2019
DMerciful:
Nigeria started putting infrastructure in Lagos since 1914 and before during the time of the protectorates and you compare with Delta whose allocation came as a result of Ibori fight after 1999? If it was done by Yorubas as you claim, why is Osun, Ekiti, Kwara, Oyo not upto 1/10 th of Lagos? Ogun is spill over from Lagos because Lagos has small landmass

Can I ask why the Niger Delta region is receiving that much allocation from the FG? Because of their oil right? That means they are privileged because of their natural resources.

The British made Lagos the capital during the 1914s period because of Lagos waters which is also a resources. Do you even know lagos port was built as far back as 1913 even before the amalgamation of Nigeria protectorate?

There are lot of countries in the world that are privileged because of the resources they have. Dubai, Oman, Qatar, etc. so why should lagos waters be any different?

Ibadan was actually the best city bar Lagos in Nigeria before the death of the regional government. It was a growing city with many firsts among firsts before the military fools truncated the system.

Even till now, Ogun state still boast of lot of industries and a revenue base that is the envy of most states in the SE. if you like say it’s because of its close proximity to Lagos, it dosen’t stop the fact that Ogun is a better state than most states in your region. Also note that Ogun state strategic location is also a resources on its own.

Even till now, Oyo state still boast of many companies with an IGR that will be more than like 3 or 4 of the states in the SE. What does that tell you? It tells you that the Yoruba people are actually excelling and those states you mention are developing at their own pace.

The take home from this is that the Lagos waters and strategic location is actually a resources on its own. That is what made the British site the capital there in the first place!

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by LegendHer0: 8:36pm On Dec 30, 2019
DMerciful:
Put a reliable source or else I'll take it as the usual beer parlour gossips!

Lol. I don’t go to extra length anymore in proving my point to an Igbo man.

Even if I show you a video of the pronouncement that those cities were previously in the hands of the western region, you will still deny and tell me I fabricated it.

This is almost 2020, I am using a different approach to situation. If you need a proof to a self-evident truth, go online and find it yourself and come here to counter my claim.

Peace!
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Adefatima: 8:38pm On Dec 30, 2019
LegendHer0:

Lol. I don’t go to extra length anymore in proving my point to an Igbo man.

Even if I show you a video of the pronouncement that those cities are previously in the hands of the western region, you will still deny and tell me I fabricated it.

This is almost 2020, I am using a different approach to situation. If you need a proof to a self-evident truth, go online and find it yourself and come here to counter my claim.

Peace!

Loool after that awolowo video
I knew igbo was a lost cause

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by DMerciful(m): 8:43pm On Dec 30, 2019
While I agree you've spoken well in this post but the truth is that the Igbos want restructuring. If Igbos originally want Nigeria divided, they wont be investing in other regions. The Biafran declaration was forced on the Igbos when the were killed in thousands during the pogrom.
This second declaration by IPOB is because
of second class citizen treatment. But if you are not being mischievous, what is Igbo leadership Ohaneze saying? Restructuring or Biafra?
LegendHer0:

Brother I understand how you feel and where you are coming from. We all want the same thing, a better country to call our own where our kids will enjoy the benefit of a sane country.

However both Igbos and Yorubas have different solution to this problems. Most Igbo want a breakup from Nigeria entirely while like 75% Yorubas want restructuring and 25% want a total breakup (Just an educated guess).

This leaves us with a situation where consensus cannot be reached. No knowledge is superior, each of these divide has the advantage and demerit of their approaches.

Please don’t see those against a breakup like your enemy and insult them, people most often see life from a different perspective. What we gotta do is to keep listing out the advantage of our approach so that we can inturn convince the people with a different ideology on why they should follow our cause.

Also look at it like this, I’m not sure the Igbos and Yorubas have anything in common tbh. I’ve gone over the Yoruba history that predates 1900 and I haven’t seen much contact between the Igbos and Yorubas. The Yorubas have been trading with the Hausa since 1700 upward or thereabout. Even psychologically we don’t have thesame approach to situation and that needs to be factored in when we are trying to ally for a common purpose.

The major problem of both Yoruba and Igbo is that we are too fixated on our strengths such that we see other people ideas like inferior or an act of cowardice. The earlier we both understand that we are totally different and the southern mantra is just a demographics title, the better for us. Only then can we forge a true alliance to solve a common problem.
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by LegendHer0: 8:43pm On Dec 30, 2019
Adefatima:

Abi o. The tactics now is to show them the evidence once. When they try denying it don’t say anything but just make sure you leave the evidence here for normal neutral minds to see the truth.

No time for negativity.

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Adefatima: 8:48pm On Dec 30, 2019
LegendHer0:

Abi o. The tactics now is to show them the evidence once. When they try denying it don’t say anything but just make sure you leave the evidence here for normal neutral minds to see the truth.

No time for negativity.

I just tagged you where they are self reflecting on the state of Abia taht is what they should focus on and leave Yorubas alone
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by DMerciful(m): 8:48pm On Dec 30, 2019
Again, you are twisting history. Awolowo said Nigeria is a mere geographical expression but Amadu never said that rather he said Nigeria is an estate of their grandfather Usman Dan Fodio so they have the right to use it as they please. You keep celebrating Awolowo but while he was alive, Yorubas were supporting Akintola. We always celebrate people when they are dead just like how Fela is being celebrated. I was well aware when Fela was alive, he never had this eulogizing
LegendHer0:

I am a realist and I don’t like trying to be politically correct.

Bro what is the unity about Nigeria? When have we ever been united? We have been having problem of tribalism even before independence.

We can’t even sustain our country for 6 years after independence when we plunged ourself into a war of tribalism and sorrows.

Check Nairaland front page, most guys here are not even always happy about the success of another tribe and they always resort to checking name first before they can celebrate success or condemn a criminal.

We should be realist, we actually don’t have a business delving into another state politics (except you reside there as migrant) in such toxic manner. The counter effect of that is that it breeds hate and heat up the polity more.

Awolowo and Ahmadu Bello actually understood this at the beginning which explains why they said Nigeria is just a geographical expression and we should recognize our differences always.
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by LegendHer0: 8:49pm On Dec 30, 2019
DMerciful:
While I agree you've spoken well in this post but the truth is that the Igbos want restructuring. If Igbos originally want Nigeria divided, they wont be investing in other regions. The Biafran declaration was forced on the Igbos when the were killed in thousands during the pogrom.
This second declaration by IPOB is because
of second class citizen treatment. But if you are not being mischievous, what is Igbo leadership Ohaneze saying? Restructuring or Biafra?

Bro no need of trying to be politically correct. If we conduct a credible poll now we will see that majority of Igbos actually desire a breakup from Nigeria.

The reason why most of you migrate to other region is not only because you love one Nigeria, it’s because of your land size and your population as the third most populous ethnic group.

Also, your land is not that good for investment and you need a larger and profitable market. Which explains why your most successful people made their money outside your region.

Well even if it’s restructuring the Igbos want most, then they gotta let people know coz a neutral person will actually call you a liar for echoing the thought of restructuring as Igbos goals.

Moreso, I think that world restructuring was actually pioneered by the Yorubas especially the Afeniferes. I might be wrong tho (I can research this more for its validity).
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Adefatima: 8:50pm On Dec 30, 2019
DMerciful:
Again, you are twisting history. Awolowo said Nigeria is a mere geographical expression but Amadu never said that rather he said Nigeria is an estate of their grandfather Usman Dan Fodio so they have the right to use it as they please. You keep celebrating Awolowo but while he was alive, Yorubas were supporting Akintola. We always celebrate people when they are dead just like how Fela is being celebrated. I was well aware when Fela was alive, he never had this eulogizing

Yorubas didn’t celebrate awolowo when he was alive ?
Are you igbos daft like this
Metaphysical come and here another Ibo propaganda

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Adefatima: 8:52pm On Dec 30, 2019
LegendHer0:

Bro no need of trying to be politically correct. If we conduct a credible poll now we will see that majority of Igbos actually desire a breakup from Nigeria.

The reason why most of you migrate to other region is not only because you love one Nigeria, it’s because of your land size and your population and the third populous ethnic group.

Also, your land is not that good for investment and you need a larger and profitable market. Which explains why your most successful people are living outside your region.

Well even if it’s restructuring the Igbos want most, then they gotta let people know coz a neutral person will actually call you a liar for echoing the thought of restructuring as Igbos goals.

Moreso, I think that world restructuring was actually pioneered by the Yorubas especially the Afeniferes. I might be wrong tho (I can research this more for its validity).

They are only getting that secession if they are in power
Under GEJ all of them suspended Biafra agitation immediately he was fired they started wanting it again lol

Your explanation for their migration is very apt
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by NimrodEndOfDays(m): 8:53pm On Dec 30, 2019
Kapeter:

That your nonsensical region all put together don't even have the Landmass of Oyo state.
why dont you compaare Nigeria with Israel. since size is what matters. you might hve a big head which is empty my guy. afterall there is one state in the North which is the size of the whole SW. stop decieving yourself. grin

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by LegendHer0: 8:53pm On Dec 30, 2019
DMerciful:

Yes you’re right about Ahmadu Bello statement. I think it has to do with semantics, what I’m actually trying to say with that post is that both Awolowo and Ahmadu tried letting the world know that we must recognize our differences.

Yorubas supporting Akintola? Haba bro what are you saying in a public forum. Most Yorubas during that era see Akintola as a Yoruba sellout and a northern stooge which explains why people don’t protest too much when he was dropped in the military coup.

Awolowo was loved in his life and even in his death. Tbh Akintola has been forgotten from the media space and not much people can actually pinpoint Akintola contribution to the success of the Yorubas.

Statistically, I don’t think I’ve seen even 0.5% of any post referencing Akintola in the media space or any governor of the SW talking about his ideology. That shows you Awo is greater than him in a million fold!

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by DMerciful(m): 8:54pm On Dec 30, 2019
You're very funny! Nigeria is bigger that UK about 5 times both in landmass and population yet they colonized 1/3 of the world including USA, Canada and Australia. Netherlands is smaller than Edo and Delta stated but west Africa dey learn where Netherland dey. Nor let land mass deceive you o, ask Chad, Niger etc!
Kapeter:

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Adefatima: 8:56pm On Dec 30, 2019
NimrodEndOfDays:
why dont you compaare Nigeria with Israel. since size is what matters. you might hve a big head which is empty my guy. afterall there is one state in the North which is the size of the whole SW. stop decieving yourself. grin

Israel has access to the sea

Population of Isreal is 10m

Igbos are 30m in the size of Oyo state
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Adefatima: 8:57pm On Dec 30, 2019
LegendHer0:

Yes you’re right about Ahmadu Bello statement. I think it has to do with semantics, what I’m actually trying to say with that post is that both Awolowo and Ahmadu tried letting the world know that we must recognize our differences.

Yorubas supporting Akintola? Haba bro what are you saying in a public forum. Most Yorubas during that era see Akintola as a Yoruba sellout and a northern stooge which explains why people don’t protest too much when he was dropped in the military coup.

Awolowo was loved in his life and even in his death. Tbh Akintola has been forgotten from the media space and not much people can actually pinpoint Akintola contribution to the success of the Yorubas.

Statistically, I don’t think I’ve seen even 0.5% of any post referencing Akintola in the media space or any governor of the SW talking about his ideology. That shows you Awo is greater than him in a million fold!

Infact out of all the founding fathers
Awolowo still remains the one to beat

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by DMerciful(m): 8:58pm On Dec 30, 2019
Yes..you have all these resources but afraid when breakup is mentioned. I'm sure SW will do excellently well, I'm also sure SS and SE will do well. And it would reduce Igbo influx to SW but why you oppose breakup when you have so much advantage beats me
LegendHer0:

Can I ask why the Niger Delta region is receiving that much allocation from the FG? Because of their oil right? That means they are privileged because of their natural resources.

The British made Lagos the capital during the 1914s period because of Lagos waters which is also a resources. Do you even know lagos port was built as far back as 1913 even before the amalgamation of Nigeria protectorate?

There are lot of countries in the world that are privileged because of the resources they have. Dubai, Oman, Qatar, etc. so why should lagos waters be any different?

Ibadan was actually the best city bar Lagos in Nigeria before the death of the regional government. It was a growing city with many firsts among firsts before the military fools truncated the system.

Even till now, Ogun state still boast of lot of industries and a revenue base that is the envy of most states in the SE. if you like say it’s because of its close proximity to Lagos, it dosen’t stop the fact that Ogun is a better state than most states in your region. Also note that Ogun state strategic location is also a resources on its own.

Even till now, Oyo state still boast of many companies with an IGR that will be more than like 3 or 4 of the states in the SE. What does that tell you? It tells you that the Yoruba people are actually excelling and those states you mention are developing at their own pace.

The take home from this is that the Lagos waters and strategic location is actually a resources on its own. That is what made the British site the capital there in the first place!
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Adefatima: 9:01pm On Dec 30, 2019
DMerciful:
Yes..you have all these resources but afraid when breakup is mentioned. I'm sure SW will do excellently well, I'm also sure SS and SE will do well. And it would reduce Igbo influx to SW but why you oppose breakup when you have so much advantage beats me

It won’t are you not all running to Ghana and South Africa are you in the same country with them loool
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Nobody: 9:02pm On Dec 30, 2019
Adefatima:

And yet you didn't know that LegendHer0 the guy who posted the video was Yoruba?

It's very obvious you didn't watch the video, it didn't prove shit except for the extreme lengths some Yorubas can go to legitimize their tribalism

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Adefatima: 9:02pm On Dec 30, 2019
LegendHer0:

lol your right
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Adefatima: 9:02pm On Dec 30, 2019
LordVoldermort:
And yet you didn't know that LegendHer0 the guy who posted the video was Yoruba?

It's very obvious you didn't watch the video, it didn't prove shit except for the extreme lengths some Yorubas can go to legitimize their tribalism

Go and develop your shithole region
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Nobody: 9:04pm On Dec 30, 2019
Ikinternational:

Guy I don't do tribal achievements. I do personal
Life is about how much dey YOUR pocket

Your father no get money pass my father. Fact
I have more money in my home safe than you do in your accounts combined. Fact
We don't drive the same whips. Fact
Though I live abroad, I own more properties n contribute more to the Nigerian economy than you do. Fact
No be talk only, I keep receipts

So take your nonsense wahala somewhere else. Your level no reach. I care about shyt that actually matter. Not your stupid tribal ramblings.

I'm watching Seahawks n 49ers. Don't disturb me again

Typical Igbo man. This is the reason you are now 20th class In Nigeria despite being one of the biggest ethnic groups in the nation. You have never met the guy yet you are claiming you have more than he does and that your father is richer than his.

No wonder Igbo women are now overlooking Igbo men. They too, like all Nigerians, have sussed you as arrogant empty braggarts only good at making noise and forming billionaire while selling Fan yogo on Third Mainland bridge. Shior.

2 Likes

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by DMerciful(m): 9:04pm On Dec 30, 2019
Yes..the Yorubas pioneered it but surprisingly when Igbos came on board Yorubas abandoned it. In the late 90s and early 2000s, all I was hearing from the West was restructuring but immediately Igbos said yes, let's restructure,
Yorubas started having double mind. Afenifere says restructuring, Tinubu Osinbajo says its unnecessary!
LegendHer0:

The reason why most of you migrate to other region is not only because you love one Nigeria, it’s because of your land size and your population as the third most populous ethnic group.

Also, your land is not that good for investment and you need a larger and profitable market. Which explains why your most successful people made their money outside your region.

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Nobody: 9:04pm On Dec 30, 2019
Adefatima:

Go and develop your shithole region
Plagiarism

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Gandollaar(f): 9:04pm On Dec 30, 2019
Problemkid1:
Na you get time dey answer that Edo witchcraft grin grin grin you for ask the idiot Edo witch make him show us one thing wey that useless Benin dey produce grin grin anyway, we all know what they produce cheesy cheesy witchcraft and prostitution hahahaha grin grin grin grin
He's a slowpoke

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by LegendHer0: 9:04pm On Dec 30, 2019
DMerciful:

Well I think the breakup of Nigeria will actually happen. SW is not that opposed to it in our entirety, we are just indifferent tbh.

But I’m sure time will tell!

2 Likes

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by DMerciful(m): 9:06pm On Dec 30, 2019
Go and read history and see how Akintola displaced Awolowo. Even Zik won more votes than Awolowo in the West. It was coalition Awolowo used overnight with Tribalism, he wasnt that popular!
Adefatima:

Yorubas didn’t celebrate awolowo when he was alive ?
Are you igbos daft like this
Metaphysical come and here another Ibo propaganda
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Adefatima: 9:07pm On Dec 30, 2019
LegendHer0:

Well I think the breakup of Nigeria will actually happen. SW is not that opposed to it in our entirety, we are just indifferent tbh.

But I’m sure time will tell!

Yoruba will be extremely succesful and will be the pride of Africa
From Lagos to Jebba Kwara

50m population

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by DMerciful(m): 9:08pm On Dec 30, 2019
Migrating fir this reason is strategic, you can only improve you standard of living if you spread your catchment area. The whole world is our constituent
Adefatima:

They are only getting that secession if they are in power
Under GEJ all of them suspended Biafra agitation immediately he was fired they started wanting it again lol

Your explanation for their migration is very apt
Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by LegendHer0: 9:09pm On Dec 30, 2019
LordVoldermort:

Yes, it wouldn’t proof shit to an Igbo man. What I did was sensitizing the sensible people that might have been caught in the wave of propaganda especially directed to dent the image of the late sage Obafemi Awolowo.

It would have been a surprise if you actually said you believed it.

1 Like

Re: How Yorubas Made Lagos Former Capital To 7th Largest Economy In Africa by Adefatima: 9:09pm On Dec 30, 2019
DMerciful:
Go and read history and see how Akintola displaced Awolowo. Even Zik won more votes than Awolowo in the West. It was coalition Awolowo used overnight with Tribalism, he wasnt that popular!

Ok awolowo was a nobody in the west
I know your speaking like this cause of that £20 policy
It pain you well shocked

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

New Cartoon Created By Punch Newspaper Sparks Reactions On Social Media. See Pic / d / How Obiano Is Turning Awka, Anambra To London (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.