Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? (51627 Views)

I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me / I Regret Going To The University / What Do You Regret Not Doing In Your University/School Days? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by fergie001: 8:00am On Dec 31, 2019
Keenmind2019:

Encyclopedia, Presido, Abeg sorry for the guy him nor know your voltage in person.
Thanks bro....na faceless forum nah, wetin we go do?

Compliments Sir....
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by blank(f): 8:16am On Dec 31, 2019
ignis:

Is Australia better than UK?

Any developed country is better than UK for masters.

1 Like

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Sterope(f): 8:19am On Dec 31, 2019
Why?
blank:

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Keenmind2019(m): 8:35am On Dec 31, 2019
fergie001:

Thanks bro....na faceless forum nah, wetin we go do?

Compliments Sir....
Normal life
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Ijebulogic(m): 8:48am On Dec 31, 2019
DexterousOne:

How many Nigerians do you think will get to that level of Aliko dem?

Just asking

I hear you. Not everyone can be Dangote and also not everyone will extract value from a Master's degree. It all depends on your vision and how you execute it. I know people who will be better off investing the estimated $100k USD of masters fees, travel cost and living expenses into a viable business idea in Nigeria with a view to becoming the next Nigerian dream.

1 Like

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Jaqenhghar: 9:29am On Dec 31, 2019
Philipmems:

NO
Very good.
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Nmeri17: 9:40am On Dec 31, 2019
Muyiii:

Brother it was quite a journey, I learnt so much in both countries. Truth be told, my masters did open my eyes to new horizons coz I discovered my degree taught me nothing. During my masters I was exposed to hands on and concrete learning . In South Africa also, I discovered IT is all about hands on skills...so I upskilled. I wrote quite a handful of IT certifications such CISA, ITIL, CISSP AWS Solutions Architectect etc. so it’s a learning curve, just embark on the journey and you won’t regret it.
baba, you no be small fish o. your CV go dey bully HR sef. I pity your fellow applicants. thanks for sharing your journey. what I understand from your story is that professional experience is all that matters in the long run. be it by professional certification, IM, setting up a temporary outfit to prove capability etc. employers are ultimately interested in your portfolio

2 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by adetopsy1(m): 9:58am On Dec 31, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:

Thanks so much

Hi OP, i sent you a message, please do reply my mail
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by DexterousOne(m): 10:03am On Dec 31, 2019
Ijebulogic:

I hear you. Not everyone can be Dangote and also not everyone will extract value from a Master's degree. It all depends on your vision and how you execute it. I know people who will be better off investing the estimated $100k USD of masters fees, travel cost and living expenses into a viable business idea in Nigeria with a view to becoming the next Nigerian dream.

Nigerian dream?

Hahaha cheesy

There is no such thing

Only one country on earth has such dream.

That's USA

No other country has a "dream"
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Sukky22(m): 11:09am On Dec 31, 2019
Please what is the first step I have to take, If I want to do my m.s.c abroad??
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Excelinpages(m): 11:16am On Dec 31, 2019
I know of one who studied in the UK. Did some menial jobs to hustle as a student and decided to come back.

The menial job pay per week in UK was more than the salary back home per month.

BOttomline regrets.

The key is this - study AND DON'T RETURN.

3 Likes

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by odimbannamdi(m): 11:25am On Dec 31, 2019
cliqtips:
wow.... so, I've been running from these exams but it seems it's inevitable for me.

Put your mind to it, and you will ace it.

Goodluck champ
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by cliqtips: 12:15pm On Dec 31, 2019
Thank you, you can assist me with links to materials (If you have any).

odimbannamdi:

Put your mind to it, and you will ace it.

Goodluck champ
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by cliqtips: 12:17pm On Dec 31, 2019
How do one get scholarship ?
What's the procedure ? Do I need to pay my tuition fee first before I can get it ?

NwanyiOkpa:

Good schools require them.
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Nmeri17: 12:49pm On Dec 31, 2019
blank:

does the same hold true for bsc?
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Evkunle: 4:58pm On Dec 31, 2019
cliqtips:
Thank you, I heard that some schools don't require those exams..
How true is that.

Yes, some schools do not require those exams and others can waiver some of the exams, it all depends on how well u liaise with the professors and anybody u engage.

Need materials and tips on How best to prepare for the exam? For your best test prep solutions, visit https://mcfedututors.com/testprep-language-solutions/

For more information on exam registration, training, joining whatsapp/telegram study group, application to schools, Permanent Residence, access to study materials and Work permit, please visit https://www.mcfedututors.com or WhatsApp 08132765285.
GRE 50K IELTS 75K TOEFL 45k GMAT 100K, SAT 55K.

1 Like

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by cliqtips: 5:31pm On Dec 31, 2019
Thank you for the information.

One more thing, Am I to apply and pay my tuition fee before I can apply and get scholarship ?
Or is it possible to get scholarship without paying the tuition fee first ?

What's procedure to that ?

Evkunle:

Yes, some schools do not require those exams and others can waiver some of the exams, it all depends on how well u liaise with the professors and anybody u engage.

Need materials and tips on How best to prepare for the exam? For your best test prep solutions, visit https://mcfedututors.com/testprep-language-solutions/

For more information on exam registration, training, joining whatsapp/telegram study group, application to schools, Permanent Residence, access to study materials and Work permit, please visit https://www.mcfedututors.com or WhatsApp 08132765285.
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by edoairways: 7:24pm On Dec 31, 2019
odimbannamdi:

This is very true. Many people have been confronted when they go for vida interviews regarding what they posted online.

You will be surprised!

Remove his post from your quote.

AkeNathan, please delete your original post.

Thanks
How would the employer trace them?
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Contumely: 8:14pm On Dec 31, 2019
BiggyB242:

There's no regret going for master in the US unlike the Uk where you will likely come back to Nigeria, but you would have gone for a PhD because you will be paid a stipend of about $2500 as a research/graduate assistance and also free tuition.
Is the stipend for all phd courses?
Is it all schools that offer that?
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Contumely: 8:23pm On Dec 31, 2019
GogobiriLalas:
It depends on your field of study; if you're going into any of the STEM fields then you MAY have an edge in the jobs market; for any other course, the advantage is mostly psychological; I have 3 masters degrees already from 3 of the world's top universities and I can tell you authoritatively that it hasn't done anything to boost my job's prospect.

If you're not going for STEM my advise is that you should spend your money setting up a business for yourself in Nigeria.
Were they in Arts or Social sciences ?
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Contumely: 8:47pm On Dec 31, 2019
vincent7000:
Well I don't know about GRE or TOEL .. University of Western Illinois grants scholarship to students with 2.1 without TOEFL or SAT ..if your CGPA Is above 3.5 and you have a winning SOP you will get

Is it only in STEM courses?
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Spanishmilf(m): 9:43pm On Dec 31, 2019
Keenmind2019:

I know this guy personally. He is fucking smart. We used to call him encyclopedia in school then. Peace
hm
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Dec 31, 2019
Contumely:

Is the stipend for all phd courses?
Is it all schools that offer that?

The stipends varies $1200 - $3000 depending on the schools, your test scores(GRE and Toefl), SOP, CGPA but major beneficiary are those doing STEM courses (PhD).

There is a thread for this on nairaland, you will get all the information needed.

1 Like

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by biosystech: 10:57pm On Dec 31, 2019
AkeNathan:

It's hard to see someone who did Msc in Health or Engineering course in US and return Nigeria to regret it.

Most of the people complaining did Msc in Humanities Or Business field or Art, and the worst, do it in Cyprus, Romania, Belarus, Sweden, Ukraine, bla bla.

US education is King and has no equal.
I'm sorry sir but are you talking down schools in Sweden?

Atigba:

Do you think you can afford to school in Sweden, one of the most innovative society in the world
My brother, I'm shocked oh! Schools like KTH, Chalmers and Uppsala, I haven't even mentioned those in Stockholm.
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Contumely: 12:44am On Jan 01, 2020
BiggyB242:

The stipends varies $1200 - $3000 depending on the schools, your test scores(GRE and Toefl), SOP, CGPA but major beneficiary are those doing STERM courses (PhD).

There is a thread for this on nairaland, you will get all the information needed.
ok thanks
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by OLUJOSHINS(m): 9:07pm On Jan 03, 2020
NwanyiOkpa:

GRE has 5years validity, TOEFL has 2

Thanks so much
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by OLUJOSHINS(m): 9:08pm On Jan 03, 2020
Evkunle:

TOEFL is valid for 2 years and GRE is valid for 5 years. So before you decide on your exam dates, make sure you have other integral requirements all-set so as to facilitate your application process once your results are ready.

Thanks so much
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Bigeva: 7:45pm On Jan 04, 2020
[If you are spending 10 to 15 million that's cheap. I am studying in Rome, Italy for my MBA it's amazing. How I wish I did my bsc abroad. quote author=Powersurge post=85340931]

I will never make that mistake in my life. Education is NOT a function of wealth ooo. If I have money to finance myself in school in place like UK, I will do anything but using it to school there. EXCEPT I am VERY sure of not coming back here.

You mean I will go and spend about 10m-15m to acquire degree and be carrying CV on Nigeria streets? I must be daft then. [/quote]
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jan 06, 2020
pronto543:

You're right to some extent with the higher likelihood of funding for a PhD, but claiming the stipend on offer is high as $2500 is misleading. I will like you to state your source and disciplines that are paid that much.

I'm a PhD student in a STEM field here in the USA and I can tell you the average stipend after tax is usually capped at $1600 maximum.

Hello sir, i noticed you were admitted into the University of Kansas at some point. Congratulations on that. I currently an applicant for admission: MA political science. I only write GRE- 318 but no Toefl. I’ve already submitted application to meet up with the deadline slated on the 7/01/20. Do you think not writing Toefl will limit my chances for admissions and ultimately funding?
Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by blank(f): 6:28pm On Jan 06, 2020
Sterope:
Why?

Don't mind me. UK is just frustrating. They make it so difficult to get a visa to stay. You will be made to feel so unwelcome like they can't wait to collect your money and then kick you out. How about getting a good paying job there? Forget it. When you take your masters to other countries, those ones would prefer their homegrown ones.
Coming back to Nigeria. everyone now has a UK masters (I'm exaggerating of course). Even if you have Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial, it doesn't count, not like before. People are getting good jobs don't get me wrong but not like you would imagine. Then they make the courses more difficult than it should be.

I'm obviously just moaning but i do regret going to the UK. I really wish i had considered other options.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? by DexterousOne(m): 6:48pm On Jan 06, 2020
Excelinpages:
I know of one who studied in the UK. Did some menial jobs to hustle as a student and decided to come back.

The menial job pay per week in UK was more than the salary back home per month.

BOttomline regrets.

The key is this - study AND DON'T RETURN.

Heed this advice y'all

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Meet Iya Abubakar Who Became A Professor Of Mathematics At 28 / Girl Draws Her Teacher To Celebrate Her On Women's Day In Jos (Photos) / 500-Level UNIBEN Student Shot Dead Inside School Premises

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.