Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,088 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 - Travel (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 (1113263 Views)

General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 7 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 6 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (710) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jan 31, 2020
Goztino:
For those still expecting appointment dates, be patient, it will come.
We experienced same thing last year during our time.
Attached in this post is the German grading scale not to scare you but for you to look into and prepare your mindset before coming.
Hmmm! This grading system na die ooo.
Plz do they have Continuous Assessment (CA)?
How is it like?
Generally, how is their exams like? Obj, German questions, Practicals or Theory?
Plz enlighten the house!

1 Like

Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by Freemanlion: 4:02pm On Jan 31, 2020
Mad oh!!! MAD....

Goztino:
For those still expecting appointment dates, be patient, it will come.
We experienced same thing last year during our time.
Attached in this post is the German grading scale not to scare you but for you to look into and prepare your mindset before coming.
Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by Sakasitay(m): 4:12pm On Jan 31, 2020
IMustWin:

But wait ooo!
On this issue of Mathematics or Economics being very difficult and challenging in Germany;
Is their Maths entirely different from the ones here in Naija?
Can't an average graduate of Maths or Econs cope?

Dem Dey carry am for head lol. Just revise and get ready and you will flow.

1 Like

Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by princejck: 4:27pm On Jan 31, 2020
IMustWin:

How is it like?
Generally, how is their exams like? Obj, German questions, Practicals or Theory?
Plz enlighten the house!

2nd semester Bsc mathematics 2 past exam question.

Maybe might help u on ur level of preparation.

Note without calculator

3 Likes

Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by Silva19(f): 4:43pm On Jan 31, 2020
princejck:

Note without calculator
Guy, since the UK is set to leave the EU by 11pm today, what impact do think it'll have on the Euro?....should we expect a drop in the exchange rate?... At least that Wud be good news for those who want to fund block account .
what's your take?

1 Like

Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by Sakasitay(m): 4:48pm On Jan 31, 2020
IMustWin:

How is it like?
Plz enlighten the house!

From my experience, if you want universities where they give Continuous assessments, and the exams are not a deciding factor, then you can consider the Hochschule (Universities of Applied Sciences). As the name suggests, the work is more practical and the Maths we’ve been lamenting on here is more applied to real world problems (but you still need to put in a great effort in it)

1 Like

Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by princejck: 4:54pm On Jan 31, 2020
Silva19:
Guy, since the UK is set to leave the EU by 11pm today, what impact do think it'll have on the Euro?....should we expect a drop in the exchange rate?... At least that Wud be good news for those who want to fund block account .
what's your take?

Am not an expert on this, UK is leaving the EU tonight, but they re bound to EU rules till 2021, which means the changes won’t be that rapid....i.e. there won’t be significant drop on the euro, if even there is any....

What might affect the euros is corona, due to disruption on global trade
Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by Silva19(f): 4:59pm On Jan 31, 2020
princejck:

Am not an expert on this, UK is leaving the EU tonight, but they re bound to EU rules till 2021, which means the changes won’t be that rapid....i.e. there won’t be significant drop on the euro, if even there is any....

What might affect the euros is corona, due to disruption on global trade
oh.....that's OK
Thanks
Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by dpatrick: 5:20pm On Jan 31, 2020
make una help a brothr na..
dpatrick:
hello house, please am new here.. I would like to know the posibility of I and my son accompaning my wife on a student visa to germany. If its allowed, what re the cost implications and do I have to be studying too?.. Thanks
Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by princejck: 5:20pm On Jan 31, 2020
Sakasitay:

From my experience, if you want universities where they give Continuous assessments, and the exams are not a deciding factor, then you can consider the Hochschule (Universities of Applied Sciences). As the name suggests, the work is more practical and the Maths we’ve been lamenting on here is more applied to real world problems (but you still need to put in a great effort in it)

Hhhhmmm not accurate.

First of all Uni is more difficult than Hochschule ( not all Hochschule)

There re advantage and disadvantages to Uni and Hochschule

In Hochschule is very easy to fail out, apart from 3 trails on exams u also have Semester limit unlike Uni that u structure ur Programm urself and can study for 10 semester if u want

In Hochschule u have better contact with prof unlike Uni that prof re too busy for student

Hochschule is more practical oriented especially for engineering students unlike like Uni that is more of Research and theory

In Hochschule ur grade re from exams and practicals ( 80% exams and 20%), Uni 95% exams and 5% projects

Don’t underestimate German education, i will say to those new here or coming, one need to read and understand....cramming don’t work.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by iPOD007(m): 5:21pm On Jan 31, 2020
I am presently in an Hochschule (University of Applied Sciences) and to be fair, yes you can have presentations, reports, practical subjects as continuous assessments.
The main thing is just to be fully prepared you are coming to study here. Nothing is easy and its very demanding. Thats the reason I posted earlier that you should have passion for whatever course you are coming for, before depression sets in.

I came in October and after 3 weeks of classes, i had an exam.
10 A4 papers filled with questions and expecting answers. (Nothing like answer only 3). The maximum time for exam is 90 minutes, so you can imagine.

In University of Applied Sciences, you have practical subjects - meaning not fully theoretical, but does not mean you will not do any theory, you have to prove a lot of formulas, nothing like objective questions. Many of the Professors will call it a TEST, but na die!

My advice is try and get in touch with anybody presently doing the course you are coming for and study like your life depends on it. Because your life really depends on it when you get here. Except you want to fail and re-do courses.

Above all, we are Nigerians, we no dull! So, I am sure any challenge anyone faces will be surpassed.

Good luck to everyone.

Cheers!

Sakasitay:

11 Likes

Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by princejck: 5:25pm On Jan 31, 2020
dpatrick:
make una help a brothr na..

I think the embassy re the best people to answer this questions.

I don’t think is impossible but u have to be financially stable... to be granted such visa.

2 Likes

Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by Sakasitay(m): 5:43pm On Jan 31, 2020
princejck:

Hhhhmmm not accurate.

First of all Uni is more difficult than Hochschule ( not all Hochschule)

There re advantage and disadvantages to Uni and Hochschule

In Hochschule is very easy to fail out, apart from 3 trails on exams u also have Semester limit unlike Uni that u structure ur Programm urself and can study for 10 semester if u want

In Hochschule u have better contact with prof unlike Uni that prof re too busy for student

Hochschule is more practical oriented especially for engineering students unlike like Uni that is more of Research and theory

In Hochschule ur grade re from exams and practicals ( 80% exams and 20%), Uni 95% exams and 5% projects

Don’t underestimate German education, i will say to those new here or coming, one need to read and understand....cramming don’t work.

I said “from my experience”

Meaning personal encounter with a Hochschule and friends who attend Hochschules sharing their similar experiences.
Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by Sakasitay(m): 5:47pm On Jan 31, 2020
iPOD007:
I am presently in an Hochschule (University of Applied Sciences) and to be fair, yes you can have presentations, reports, practical subjects as continuous assessments.
The main thing is just to be fully prepared you are coming to study here. Nothing is easy and its very demanding. Thats the reason I posted earlier that you should have passion for whatever course you are coming for, before depression sets in.

I came in October and after 3 weeks of classes, i had an exam.
10 A4 papers filled with questions and expecting answers. (Nothing like answer only 3). The maximum time for exam is 90 minutes, so you can imagine.

In University of Applied Sciences, you have practical subjects - meaning not fully theoretical, but does not mean you will not do any theory, you have to prove a lot of formulas, nothing like objective questions. Many of the Professors will call it a TEST, but na die!

My advice is try and get in touch with anybody presently doing the course you are coming for and study like your life depends on it. Because your life really depends on it when you get here. Except you want to fail and re-do courses.

Above all, we are Nigerians, we no dull! So, I am sure any challenge anyone faces will be surpassed.

Good luck to everyone.

Cheers!

Yeah. Practical stuff is the main attraction. Besides that, even the continuous assessments are overwhelming. I did over 15 assignments in this winter semester plus 6 exams lol.

Compared to where I was before, I think I love the challenge here. There, the exam was the sole deciding factor (which is risky in my opinion).

1 Like

Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by Sakasitay(m): 5:52pm On Jan 31, 2020
Bottom line is prepare adequately and you will adapt anywhere you find yourself. May your expectations be met soon IJN

2 Likes

Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by Fabcol(m): 5:57pm On Jan 31, 2020
For continuous assessment, it's totally dependent on the professor or lecturer taking the course. Some would give you group work, mid term test, project etc for some marks(20-40marks) while exams takes the remaining, for some it's 100% examination, some exams are term paper

Exam pattern is also dependent on the professor/lecturer. For example I'm writing a paper this semester and the professor already told us it's going to be 20 objective questions each questions carrying 5marks.. some exams are like the Nigerian explain, define pattern, sometimes the professor can decide to set subjective questions, sometimes you get objective and theory, sometimes oral exams(one of the toughest to do). The biggest problem with examination here is time, the questions are usually bulky and most time not straight to the point(you know all those questions that starts with stories"if you are the manager of so so company and bla bla happens"wink., you must understand the course content. Some professors are nice enough to provide formulary for you during exams but with bulky questions, some even allow dictionary.

Just as the grading system looks scary, the marking system is actually favourable, hmm well depends on the professor taking the course too.

IMustWin:

How is it like?
Plz enlighten the house!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jan 31, 2020
princejck:

Note without calculator
@Princejck!
Plz are you doing Math?
Is the lecturing method by those lecturers okay? because I don't think someone should have an issue if they lecture fine.
Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by princejck: 6:50pm On Jan 31, 2020
IMustWin:

@Princejck!
Plz are you doing Math?
Is the lecturing method by those lecturers okay? because I don't think someone should have an issue if they lecture fine.

No, I studied Maschinenbau( Mechanical Eng)...

Some lectures re ok and some re not depending on the professor, secondly language is an issue cuz of technical terminology which one don’t find in everyday language.

Maths is not much of a problem but the application of maths and physics in courses like thermodynamic, mechanical vibrations, Konstruktionslehre etc. that’s where the difficulties re

No course is easy here but it’s also not impossible

My personal trick was trying to understand a particular topic in English textbooks, before reading it for the second time in German textbooks...it’s time consuming that’s why one need to start reading from the very first lecture of the semester.

YouTube also helped me a lot and solving example questions constantly

U can afford to work only minijob of 450 euros anything more than that might affect ur studies..., u might also have less social life like clubs etc.

It all depend on ur personal mind set and ability to learn and understand things easily

If u have passion on what u re doing u will make it....but doesn’t means it will be easy.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jan 31, 2020
princejck:

No, I studied Maschinenbau( Mechanical Eng)...

Some lectures re ok and some re not depending on the professor, secondly language is an issue cuz of technical terminology which one don’t find in everyday language.

Maths is not much of a problem but the application of maths and physics in courses like thermodynamic, mechanical vibrations, Konstruktionslehre etc. that’s where the difficulties re

No course is easy here but it’s also not impossible

My personal trick was trying to understand a particular topic in English textbooks, before reading it for the second time in German textbooks...it’s time consuming that’s why one need to start reading from the very first lecture of the semester.

YouTube also helped me a lot and solving example questions constantly

U can afford to work only minijob of 450 euros anything more than that might affect ur studies..., u might also have less social life like clubs etc.

It all depend on ur personal mind set and ability to learn and understand things easily

If u have passion on what u re doing u will make it....but doesn’t means it will be easy.

Well said boss. Gracias

1 Like

Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by Goztino(m): 7:34pm On Jan 31, 2020
IMustWin:

How is it like?
Plz enlighten the house!

Depending on your school.
Germany has two types of tertiary institutions.
1. University of Applied sciences (Fachhochschule)
2. Technical universities.

University of Applied sciences is more of practical while Technical universities is more of research but also have incorporated practicals depending on the course.
I am a student of RWTH Aachen University (technical university) and here it's really tough.
There is nothing like continous assessment in most German technical universities or even quiz or test as you may call it. They just tell you what to do and when you do it within the specified period, they grade your performance over 100%.

Some exams are just presentation and report writing, and you already know before now that Germans are generally not easy to please because here quality is a watch word and you must really do quality things to earn quality marks.
I have almost 30 courses to do throughout the duration of my MSc program and in all these courses, it's just 11 written exams.
All others are presentations, Practicals and report writing

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jan 31, 2020
Goztino:

Depending on your school.
Germany has two types of tertiary institutions.
1. University of Applied sciences (Fachhochschule)
2. Technical universities.

University of Applied sciences is more of practical while Technical universities is more of research but also have incorporated practicals depending on the course.
I am a student of RWTH Aachen University (technical university) and here it's really tough.
There is nothing like continous assessment in most German universities or even quiz or test as you may call it. They just tell you what to do and when you do it within the specified period, they grade your performance over 100%.

Some exams are just presentation and report writing, and you already know before now that Germans are generally not easy to please because here quality is a watch word and you must really do quality things to earn quality marks.
I have almost 30 courses to do throughout the duration of my MSc program and in all these courses, it's just 11 written exams.
All others are presentations, Practicals and report writing
No b awa fault say dem born us for dis kuntri ooo. Lol!
May God help us all in our respective careers and dreams.

1 Like

Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by Goztino(m): 7:50pm On Jan 31, 2020
This is a typical exam task of a typical German university.
After doing the task, you prepare to present it before the two lecturers handling the course.
So you must be ready to study if your aim is to come to Germany otherwise you hear am sharp sharp.
Anaghịkwa asị ndo na Germany.
By now you also must have heard that in most schools, you are not allowed to fail one course more than three times.
All these information like I said is not to scare anyone but to prepare your mindset.
I was also properly informed before coming

2 Likes

Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by Ali228: 8:10pm On Jan 31, 2020
Hello Everyone

Any one has applied to master program Mechatronics and Cyber-Physical Systems Deggendorf University and got a reply or changes on the Online portal?
Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by Amakapritty(f): 8:16pm On Jan 31, 2020
Pls can I apply for my airport transit Visa in the Abuja German embassy
Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by shawnmich: 9:19pm On Jan 31, 2020
Is TOEfl or IELTS mandatory for Germany school admission generally?
Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by Fabcol(m): 10:31pm On Jan 31, 2020
Some schools (quite few) accepts English proficiency letter in place of IELTS or TOEFL... You would have to most times send them an email to confirm if it's not stated on their website
shawnmich:
Is TOEfl or IELTS mandatory for Germany school admission generally?

1 Like

Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by Melvix007(m): 6:36am On Feb 01, 2020
tobymac93:
Use this link to find out more.

http://www.msce.ei.tum.de/applying/required-documents-for-applying-upload/

Thanks.
Please I sent you a mail.
Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by Yitchaq: 8:08am On Feb 01, 2020
Happy new month fellaz, I pray we get AD this month..

3 Likes

Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by shawnmich: 8:13am On Feb 01, 2020
Thanks
Re: General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 by Yesdeutsch01: 8:29am On Feb 01, 2020
Yitchaq:
Happy new month fellaz, I pray we get AD this month..

wink

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (710) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.