Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,337 members, 7,819,189 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:25 PM

As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? (24460 Views)

Some Places With Stable Electricity In Nigeria - AfricaFactsZone / As Nigerians,are We Ever Going To witness Stable Electricity In Our Lifetime? / Magodo Residents Now Enjoy Stable Electricity After Signing An Agreement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by golddare: 10:55pm On Jan 10, 2020
I honestly taught by now these guys would have unbundled the law that prevents states from distributing power. Change the laws and states will not only generates but distributes even companies will start generating power. Imagine RCCG camp generates our lights and it means some local government can do the same. These guys no just love the masses.

1 Like

Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by Vega100: 12:20am On Jan 11, 2020
DaBullIT:
If I ever have the kind of money I dream of

My estate won't use NEPA all
my brother, if na dream dey give that money eh!!!! I for don get houses for Dubai and New York with the kind of dreams I dey get.
Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by dantajay: 12:47am On Jan 11, 2020
I doubt
Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by perrychemical: 12:50am On Jan 11, 2020
Flyingngel:
forget abt it. it is rocket science in Nigeria.

I was in a forum in France where we were discussing energy efficiency effort in our individual country . I told them that we dont even have power supply . I said, naturally our energy supply has already reached maximum efficiency level.

How do you expect a country with population of 200M people to have a generating installed capacity of 7,000plus, and expect their Electrical and electronic Engineering graduates to get a job after graduation. For sure, most graduates will be rendered useless, and there wont be any real economy generating activities. Energy is fundamental to any developmental effort, and policies and programs must be vehemently pursuit to tackle inefficiency in this sector.

I think it would be a waste of energy to have any hope of meaningful change in this generation. We lack quality leadership, people that take decision objectively are nowhere to be found on our landscape. We create wide margins between the rich and the poor, and people resulti g to taking the advantage of the most vulnerable in the society, it is all that bad!!!

2 Likes

Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by showafrica(m): 1:07am On Jan 11, 2020
gabicon:

Our electricity challenge is a structural challenge not an infrastructural one, we have treated it for long as an infrastructure challenge when in reality it has always been a structural problem, that is why no matter the amount of money spent the challenge hasn't been fixed.

We can't generate electricity in akwa ibom and send it to Kano, that doesn't make any sense, the points of failure are too much, that's why the infrastructure keeps on collapsing. Secondly electricity is the second card used by the political class to control the poor, the first being fuel subsidy.

The solution is simply decentralised the power industry, every state should generate and distribute its own electricity, or better still let it be done geopolitically. States that feel that their citizens are too poor can subsidize electricity for their people. Nobody will tell any politician to give his people electricity, if he doesn't he looses control, and the people will come after him.

I really want to know why no one in the chamber is talking about this. Why are they doing the same thing and expecting different thing. Does the FG really enjoy this darkness or are they making it big with the same pattern. How can one grid run the whole Nigeria. Why hasnt any governor stand up and say, this is what i want to do in my state..
Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by showafrica(m): 1:38am On Jan 11, 2020
TheStarsAlign:

Baba, see it's not about budget size; all we need to do is live according to our means ie no wasteful spending up and down - problem solved. Just go and study what has been happening in Rwanda in the last 5 years or so.

For power to be fixed in Nigeria is simple. Decentralize it. Let each region or state fend for itself and give them at least 10 years. Most will stumble in the beginning but would eventually catch up. The system we're running in Nigeria is ineffective, wasteful and unproductive. The FG wants to control everything politically even though it lacks capacity financially and mentally. Same thing in rail system, policing, mineral resources. Look at all the countries of the world, which among them is using this kind of formulae?

Example, let's say Cross River state is able to generate stable power for its state alone, it should be left to do that but under the current system, that power must go into national grid to feed other state like Kano, Rivers, Ondo etc. Tell me, will any of the 3 states have stable power? To drive my point home, some states are not even producing at all. So now you see?

The problem is primarily based on suspicion and fear by some region that others might develop and leave them behind but it doesn't have to be so. The govt is essentially lazy, lacks vision and want to continue to do lip-service while feeding fat on oil money.

You said it all, some states especially Northern states are afraid they will be left behind.
Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by xandy84: 1:49am On Jan 11, 2020
Everything is not corruption. Corruption is part of the problem and not all the problem. Nigeria electricity model is based that is non workable. You generate electricity and add it together, then share it.. It is just like our system of government, it never going to work right....

SamOyovwi:
Corruption is the problem. If we can be free from corruption, we can. But with corruption still lingering in our government, we can never have a constant power supply in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by sulaak(m): 2:33am On Jan 11, 2020
shadeyinka:

No!
The total electricity power generation capacity we have is 6GW. We generate an average of 3GW. We need at least 15GW of electricity to cover the federation. We need 30GW to start industrialization.

So, how would 3GW distributed to Magodo and Omole because they pay higher tariff.

Our problem is inadequate generation!

Nigeria needs more than 15GW to cover the nation. SA has 53GW and they are struggling with a population of 60 million.

Nigeria must decentralise the power sector to scale to each region. The fact that the SW came to the conclusion that the security problem in the SW is beyond the capabilities of the federal police is an indication that other social infrastructures cannot be delivered by Abuja and needs to be decentralised restructuring doesn't need to be political.
Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by demoBaba: 3:03am On Jan 11, 2020
DaBullIT:
If I ever have the kind of money I dream of

My estate won't use NEPA all

What's NEPA again?
Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by sulaak(m): 3:07am On Jan 11, 2020
xandy84:
Everything is not corruption. Corruption is part of the problem and not all the problem. Nigeria electricity model is based that is non workable. You generate electricity and add it together, then share it.. It is just like our system of government, it never going to work right....

Well Done.

Nigerian failure to understand the disastrous outcome of a rental economy that shares instead of produce. The symptom of sharing from the centre is corruption or how else will an unproductive Nigerian politician going to be rich.
Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by PWAPUTI2010(m): 3:51am On Jan 11, 2020
But in Yola Adamawa State we already have stable power supply since 2017. Truthfully and sincerely it baffles me with doubt when I visited Abuja and always witness epileptic or no constant power.
Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by joepepsy(m): 4:31am On Jan 11, 2020
This is not about Buhari,jona nko?
GamalNasser:
You keep voting idiots like Buhari and then come back to start asking useless questions ..OP don't Provoke me
Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by larryking540: 5:27am On Jan 11, 2020
SamOyovwi:
Corruption is the problem. If we can be free from corruption, we can. But with corruption still lingering in our government, we can never have a constant power supply in Nigeria

If the country wants to help them selfs they should start breakiyout of this govt give us light

I know of a community close to my side in Edo state for the past 3 years they use solar ,it was actually don by one man whose intention was to set up a company but things didn't go as planned so he switch to the solar grid that powers a whole community just imagine ,
And Gus's how much for their light bill ? 1500 every month with prepaid meter to get the work properly regulated

The best is to break out ,otedola fit start am
Adenuga fit start am creating a solar grid system.

But theses people are the major importers of generator's what do you expect
Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by content208: 6:13am On Jan 11, 2020
Blakjewelry:
Yes when you use solar

Solar has its limitations
Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by gonkin(m): 6:31am On Jan 11, 2020
Lol. Even the transformers are not used to stable power any more. That's another topic on WHAT.IF

Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by shadeyinka(m): 6:32am On Jan 11, 2020
sulaak:

Nigeria needs more than 15GW to cover the nation. SA has 53GW and they are struggling with a population of 60 million.

Nigeria must decentralise the power sector to scale to each region. The fact that the SW came to the conclusion that the security problem in the SW is beyond the capabilities of the federal police is an indication that other social infrastructures cannot be delivered by Abuja and needs to be decentralised restructuring doesn't need to be political.
I agree perfectly with you. I was speaking of the base minimum which is like half of the recommended.

It's a shame that the government refused to understand that it is first a generation problem rather than distribution.

Instead of focusing on generation and privatising it, they all went for the distribution because it produces quick cash for their cronies.
Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by livebullet(m): 6:48am On Jan 11, 2020
From National Grid, No! From Solar tech, Yea!
Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by Blakjewelry(m): 7:27am On Jan 11, 2020
content208:

Solar has its limitations
not when you use it in the right way. There are countries producing enough gigawatt of electricity using solar. BTW I was just being sarcastic by referring to individual rather than the country
Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by GOOOGLE504(m): 8:08am On Jan 11, 2020
ALAGOGO007:
For many years now, Nigeria has been facing an extreme electricity shortage. This deficiency is multi-faceted, with causes that are financial, structural, and sociopolitical, none of which are mutually exclusive. Nigeria’s power sector has high energy losses from generation to billing, a low collection rate and low access to electricity by the population. There is insufficient cash generation because of these inefficiencies and the power sector is consequently reliant on fuel subsidies and funding of capital projects by the government.

At present only 10 % of rural households and 40% of the country’s total population have access to electricity. Power supply difficulties cripple the agricultural, industrial and mining sectors and impede the Nigeria's ongoing economic development. The energy supply crisis is complex, stems from a variety of issues and has been ongoing for decades.

As of December 2013, the total installed or nameplate capacity (maximum capacity) of the power plants was 6,953 MW. Available capacity was 4,598 MW. Actual average generation was 3,800 MW. As of December 2014, the total installed capacity of the power plants was 7,445 MW.

The minister for power Babatunde Fashola said that 90 million Nigerians lack electricity supply. This is an indictment of the government and a clarion call on that same government as well as other stakeholders to do something urgently about the wobbling electricity supply situation in the country. Every year, the Nigerian government invest huge amout of money in the power sector with no positive impact, something seems not right!

The big question is, are we going to witness a stable power supply in our lifetime , will it ever happen?

This is the Vision 2020 we looked up to for many years so PLEASE FORGET ABT NIGERIA GIVING 20HRS POWER IN ANOTHER 15YRS.

Coincidentally, I just mentioned this ystrnyt.
Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by Truthbites: 8:45am On Jan 11, 2020
Impossicant
Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by Bobolaola: 9:23am On Jan 11, 2020
Next life
Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by WendellSimilin: 10:19am On Jan 11, 2020
GamalNasser:
You keep voting idiots like Buhari and then come back to start asking useless questions ..OP don't Provoke me
You're blaming Buhari for our light situation? You okay?
Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by GamalNasser: 10:22am On Jan 11, 2020
WendellSimilin:

You're blaming Buhari for our light situation? You okay?

Is it you you should blame ?
Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by WendellSimilin: 10:27am On Jan 11, 2020
GamalNasser:

No it's the height of ignorance to blame Buhari for our power failures. His administration hasn't even spent a quarter of the amount past administrations have, but here we are
Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by WendellSimilin: 10:27am On Jan 11, 2020
GamalNasser:

It's totally ignorant to do that
Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by gabe: 10:57am On Jan 11, 2020
We can. The real question is are we ready to pay for it?
Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by adidison(m): 11:43am On Jan 11, 2020
As long as corruption is not dealt with or we don't have a proper revolution ... then I guess not. Not only electricity, but everything is going to get worse.
Re: As Nigerians, Can We Ever Witness Stable Electricity In Our Life Time? by hanymasahun: 3:27pm On Jan 11, 2020
I don't think so reason is that our population is increase means more demand

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Rauf Aregbesola Received 96-Month Salary Arrears In Secret, Claims He Did Not / T.A Orji To South-East Governors: Leave ESN Alone, Focus On Ebubeagu / 200 Young Boys Graduated From ISWAP Training Camps In February – ISS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.