Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,350 members, 7,836,422 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:33 AM

How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria - Events (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria (36025 Views)

Ways To Legally Relocate Abroad From Nigeria / COVID-19: To Couples Preparing To Get Married In March And April 2020 / David And Chioma: Two Nairalanders Get Married (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by dollarsplenty(m): 8:54am On Jan 10, 2020
Marriage is over rated, pride price is the main thing

1 Like

Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by Doctor92(m): 8:55am On Jan 10, 2020
Jestin:
Illegal cohabitating and baby mama saga is the order of the day. For more information, contact Airforce1
you are wrong cohabitation is different from civil union. If you have paid the bride price of your wife and decided to do civil wedding instead of the routine church wedding my brother your right in what you are doing.
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by 2019elections: 8:55am On Jan 10, 2020
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:56am On Jan 10, 2020
Noted

1 Like

Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by cybug: 8:56am On Jan 10, 2020
Nice
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by AdonaiAluminium: 8:58am On Jan 10, 2020
By our culture once you do your traditional marriage you are married, court and church /mosque marriage is alien to us

Contact us now for all your roofing jobs and, roof repair and maintenance, etc

1 Like

Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by avenger74(m): 8:59am On Jan 10, 2020
can I have a church wedding without going to the registrar and still have a legal binding?
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by happney65: 9:00am On Jan 10, 2020
AdonaiAluminium:
By our culture once you do your traditional marriage you are married, court and church /mosque marriage is alien to us

Contact us now for all your roofing jobs and, roof repair and maintenance, etc

which yeye culture?kuku say you are no longer a citizen of Nigeria then..carry unaselves go embassy then and tell them you are married,na dogs them go take pursue you two

1 Like

Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by mimilogs: 9:01am On Jan 10, 2020
Authoreety:
Arrant nonsense..

Without the parents traditional blessings,marriage in the court is total bullshit

Nonsense Nigerian courts.
grin grin grin
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by benedictuyi(m): 9:01am On Jan 10, 2020
Authoreety:
Arrant nonsense..

Without the parents traditional blessings,marriage in the court is total bullshit

Be saying rubbish.
Yes traditional marriage holds water, but as far as Nigeria is concerned, a court wedding is legal

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by nwamabo247(m): 9:04am On Jan 10, 2020
Traditional rulers should also be empower to give certificate too
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by Cherrybae(f): 9:05am On Jan 10, 2020
chigoizie7:
Give her belle and everything including the bride price will be reduced. Even the girl family go contribute for the remaining celebrations cost.

Na una sabi

Igbo man sense. Sense kill people no small.
Chia
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by TemmyT002(m): 9:10am On Jan 10, 2020
DavidEsq:
OP, some vital points u raised here are not consistent with the position of the law.
You stated that there are two types of marriage registries in Nigeria, namely Federal and state/local government marriage registries.
This is flawed because as u rightly stated:
"A legal marriage is protected under the Marriage Act, Chapter 218 of Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 1990".
Take notice of the phrase, "Marriage Act", which means that marriage is strictly withing the powers of the federal government of Nigeria, courtesy of the National Assembly, to regulate or make laws thereon. So it would be flawed to suggest that local governments should have marriage registries which issue certificates of marriage, when they have no powers to do so. Marriage is regulated by the ministry of interior, which is a federal government agency and it is only the marriage certificates issued on the authority of this ministry, that is valid. Any other marriage certificate issued without this authority is null and void and an empty valueless piece of paper. This is why in a recent judgement of the high court sitting at Lagos State, such marriage certificates issued by the local governments were declared to have been done without the authority of the ministry of interior and as such, null and void. That certificate of marriage is called Form E, which is contained in the Marriage Act and any certificate of marriage inconsistent with this Form E, is invalid. However, following the recent announcement by the ministry of interior on this issue, coupled with the judgment of the high court, any marriage done prior to this pronouncements are deemed valid because the parties themselves have committed no deliberate wrong. Hence they have to get a recertification of their marriage certificate, but several court decisions show that this is not mandatory to validate a marriage. Therefore, it is not every marriage registry that is a valid place of marriage, with the attendant powers to issue valid marriage certificates.
There are other factors to be considered in determining how to go about a valid marriage. Hola at me via my mail.
Cheers, OP.

Well, this is nonsense, inconvenient and unfair, all because of money
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by IdrisE(m): 9:16am On Jan 10, 2020
DavidEsq:
OP, some vital points u raised here are not consistent with the position of the law.
You stated that there are two types of marriage registries in Nigeria, namely Federal and state/local government marriage registries.
This is flawed because as u rightly stated:
"A legal marriage is protected under the Marriage Act, Chapter 218 of Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 1990".
Take notice of the phrase, "Marriage Act", which means that marriage is strictly withing the powers of the federal government of Nigeria, courtesy of the National Assembly, to regulate or make laws thereon. So it would be flawed to suggest that local governments should have marriage registries which issue certificates of marriage, when they have no powers to do so. Marriage is regulated by the ministry of interior, which is a federal government agency and it is only the marriage certificates issued on the authority of this ministry, that is valid. Any other marriage certificate issued without this authority is null and void and an empty valueless piece of paper. This is why in a recent judgement of the high court sitting at Lagos State, such marriage certificates issued by the local governments were declared to have been done without the authority of the ministry of interior and as such, null and void. That certificate of marriage is called Form E, which is contained in the Marriage Act and any certificate of marriage inconsistent with this Form E, is invalid. However, following the recent announcement by the ministry of interior on this issue, coupled with the judgment of the high court, any marriage done prior to this pronouncements are deemed valid because the parties themselves have committed no deliberate wrong. Hence they have to get a recertification of their marriage certificate, but several court decisions show that this is not mandatory to validate a marriage. Therefore, it is not every marriage registry that is a valid place of marriage, with the attendant powers to issue valid marriage certificates.
There are other factors to be considered in determining how to go about a valid marriage. Hola at me via my mail.
Cheers, OP.

Hmm! Naija with confusing proceedings and procedures.......
So you're telling me that all this marriages conducted in L.G.A's still need to go to ministry of Interior for registering?.......
I tire for 9ja o! Who be the person were start am for local government?
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by Fejimummy: 9:28am On Jan 10, 2020
DaVader:
I'm very sure a lot people don't need this, most people in the shackle dubbed marriage by some poetic religion institution need a counter thread.

Iya kamilu, my next door neighbour who came through window at the middle of the night with her baggage after taking in for her drunkard husband also need some legal backup to leave through the door when she can no longer cope with the nonsensical attitude of her husband.

Why do people that are not legally married need to visit the court before they can resolve their "union"?

if you have shacked up with someone for up to two years it's called common law marriage
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by Emidbest(m): 9:29am On Jan 10, 2020
Ajibade123:
my piece of advice is that marriage isn't what someone should jump to...use your head

anyway do you wish to study or work in Australia,
Canada or US check my signature for more info

I'm interested in relocating to Canada.
Contact me here let's talk more
+2348039252789
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by DaVader: 9:37am On Jan 10, 2020
Fejimummy:

if you have shacked up with someone for up to two years it's called common law marriage

Thanks. Can you please tell me more about this, please?
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by bigx(m): 9:41am On Jan 10, 2020
What about how to get legally divorced?
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by lawman88(m): 9:42am On Jan 10, 2020
I did statutory marriage (court marriage) at Kano state registry court

Here are what they requested From me:
[b]1) N8,000 certificate fee
2) A bible or wedding ring as token of the wedding
[/b]Nothing more.....
But I gave them one crate of multina

1 Like

Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by LadyGCrueDKilaB(f): 9:43am On Jan 10, 2020
Okay noted e remain for husband to show
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by ADSGall: 9:45am On Jan 10, 2020
In addition to Federal Marriage Registries in Ikoyi and Abuja, Federal Marriage Registries are also located in Port Harcourt, Benin, Owerri, Kano, Jos, Umuahia and Uyo. Ibadan, Ikeja and others are slated to be open this year.

Federal Marriage Registries are to conduct marriages while LGA are only to register. Ministry of Interior by law is empower to regulate marriages in Nigeria and they are the only arm of government to also license Place of Worship to conduct marriage in Nigeria.

For further inquiries, please visit www.ecitibiz.interior.gov.ng

The eCITIBIZ website is the only gateway for the conduct of marriages and licensing of Place of Worship in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by Liposure: 9:46am On Jan 10, 2020
bluefilm:
Na for those wey still dey interested the scam called marriage.
baba, why u no like marriage
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by Liposure: 9:51am On Jan 10, 2020
Between court wedding n traditional wedding. which one supercede d other
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by OBku4(m): 9:56am On Jan 10, 2020
chigoizie7:
Give her belle and everything including the bride price will be reduced. Even the girl family go contribute for the remaining celebrations cost.

Na una sabi
Guyman
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by ibietela2(m): 10:01am On Jan 10, 2020
NofiuFade:
It more easier when all this process attached to church, all you just need to do is file for marriage in ikoyi, follow all due process and let them know you want to do it in your church, after all the due process required is met, then the court will give you an authorization for the church to go ahead, and then issue you wedding certificate through the church on the wedding day! � Very easy

In this country? Easy?
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by dividebyone(m): 10:02am On Jan 10, 2020
Someone is asking the question that,whether Islamic marriage is been considered in Nigeria constitution. Did you think Nigeria is a Christian state?.[color=#000099][/color]
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by Reelmii: 10:05am On Jan 10, 2020
Authoreety:
Arrant nonsense..

it is bullshiit until u want to travel out with ur wife as a couple
then u will realise how important that bullshit is. lets see if ur traditional blessing will help u at that time

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:08am On Jan 10, 2020
Emidbest:

I'm interested in relocating to Canada.
Contact me here let's talk more
+2348039252789

You will be mercilessly scammed. Shebi na him papa be Canadian ambassador to Nigeria. Canada easy na him he dey nairaland dey hunt for mugun like you. Person wey go give you cloth suppose no dey waka naked.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by bluefilm: 10:08am On Jan 10, 2020
Liposure:
baba, why u no like marriage

I like my freedom and Marriage sounds like prison to me.

There's nothing you can do within marriage that you cannot do outside marriage.

Marriage gives outsiders the "right" to have some say in how you run your own personal life.

I don't want any woman to feel like she and her damn family is rightfully entitled to my earnings.

I don't want to be accused of cheating on any bitch.

I don't have time to be listening to women and their nonsense stories about nonsense things.

Neither do I have the time or wish to be in a position to be dealing with women and their ever unending insecurities and jealousies.

I like making and taking decisions by myself without necessarily consulting anyone else so I don't really need to put myself in a position where I will always have to be considering and/or consulting someone else before making those decisions.

So as you can see, marriage is definitely not for me at all!!!

3 Likes

Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by happney65: 10:15am On Jan 10, 2020
Liposure:
Between court wedding n traditional wedding. which one supercede d other

court
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by Reelmii: 10:15am On Jan 10, 2020
happney65:

which yeye culture?kuku say you are no longer a citizen of Nigeria then..carry unaselves go embassy then and tell them you are married,na dogs them go take pursue you two
no wen the reach embassy, them go tell them say 'we are married by our tradition' instead of them to learn now and do the right thing

1 Like

Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by cerpvad(m): 10:16am On Jan 10, 2020
Please can you explain further on the bolded statement? Are you saying all marriages conducted in Catholic and Anglican are recognised by Law, even if the couple did not go to court?
NaijadrivaCars:
wink

If you like, do a 20 million Naira traditional marriage and *white* wedding (except maybe you wedded in Catholic or Anglican), without a government recognised marriage, you aren't married before the law.

They will tell you not to contract any marriage after that, without ending the first legal one.

Some men do not like it because the woman benefits from such arrangement. You can't send the women away just like that without settling her, save maybe in case of adultery.

But we don't get married only to have irreconcilable differences or part.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

6 Siblings Who Died Of Food Poisoning In Anambra Buried Amidst Tears / Photos From Tunde Sabiu And Fatima's Wedding / Two Refugees Wed At Fufore IDP Camp, Adamawa State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.