Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria - Events (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria (35957 Views)

Ways To Legally Relocate Abroad From Nigeria / COVID-19: To Couples Preparing To Get Married In March And April 2020 / David And Chioma: Two Nairalanders Get Married (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by petitejolie(f): 5:21pm On Jan 10, 2020
tydi:

You know nothing dear.. White women don't put their loving on a bargain scale, when they love, they do that for real.
indeed. Until u enter den u will know. They will just wake up one day and tell u dey dont love u again
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by Reelmii: 5:38pm On Jan 10, 2020
cerpvad:
Damn! That is horrific. embarassed embarassed
real living in bondage
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by mrchineke: 5:43pm On Jan 10, 2020
bluefilm:

I like my freedom and Marriage sounds like prison to me.

There's nothing you can do within marriage that you cannot do outside marriage.

Marriage gives outsiders the "right" to have some say in how you run your own personal life.

I don't want any woman to feel like she and her damn family is rightfully entitled to my earnings.

I don't want to be accused of cheating on any bitch.

I don't have time to be listening to women and their nonsense stories about nonsense things.

Neither do I have the time or wish to be in a position to be dealing with women and their ever unending insecurities and jealousies.

I like making and taking decisions by myself without necessarily consulting anyone else so I don't really need to put myself in a position where I will always have to be considering and/or consulting someone else before making those decisions.

So as you can see, marriage is definitely not for me at all!!!

My Guy!

Life sweet die without that marriage nonsense!
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by DavidEsq(m): 5:45pm On Jan 10, 2020
MoonandStar:

When someone is not their member nko, one can't just walked in there na for marriage na.
I wouldn't know much about that but I could find out from their priest if u so desire. However, u could use a marriage registry. No stress for tha one
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by mrchineke: 5:48pm On Jan 10, 2020
cerpvad:
See this Oga. By the time you are 65 -70 years of age, you will come back here and change this your story. By that time it would be too late and you would regret not knowing the value of building companionship with a woman who has known you for years. By that time , the freedom you so cherish today will turn to a prison which you are running from now.

Better get your ass up and go out there to look for a good woman with true love and build your future. grin

Shut up with that usual trap!!!

He go find women tired sef at that age.
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by Legendguru: 5:48pm On Jan 10, 2020
Hmmm
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by mrchineke: 5:51pm On Jan 10, 2020
cerpvad:
What if you are no yet dead by then? Or are telling us that you have a concrete plan to die by 65-70?

It is true that life does not have a map when it comes to the issue of death. Nobody knows when his/her death will come. However, one deserves to live a better life at old age and the companionship offered by marriage is one of those major things that spice up your old age life. If you look around you today, you will see many old people who are lonely in their old age because they refused to plan for old age companionship.

Get lost joor!

Unmarried men are living longer these days. Who needs an entitled woman to kill you before your time? Most men who die of BP or strike are married!

1 Like

Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by oodua1stson: 6:02pm On Jan 10, 2020
cerpvad:
Sorry to hear this bruh. What is your experience? Can you share it here to enable us learn and avoid falling into the same trap in the future?
long story, bro. The most important thing is that I'm better now than when I was married.

But if you need advice I'd say this; enjoy your youth like I did and be very comfortable b4 marriage( I wasn't really comfortable financially when I got married).
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by bluefilm: 6:50pm On Jan 10, 2020
mrchineke:

My Guy!

Life sweet die without that marriage nonsense!

I dey tell you!!!
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by cerpvad(m): 6:58pm On Jan 10, 2020
Thanks bruh. You said you were not really financially comfortable. I will like to ask, were you more financially comfortable than her or she was more financially ok than you?
Does she have your physical specs and were you two attracted to each other sexually?

Why I ask these is because my recent findings reveal that couple who are not financially and sexually compatible more than often have challenges in their marriage. Financial incompatibility exists when one of the party in the marriage earns more than the other and use that as emotion blackmailing of the other party. When it comes to finances, couple should see each other as equal party no matter who earns what.
Sexual incompatibility is absolutely when couple do not find each other sexually attractive after the marriage.
oodua1stson:
long story, bro. The most important thing is that I'm better now than when I was married.

But if you need advice I'd say this; enjoy your youth like I did and be very comfortable b4 marriage( I wasn't really comfortable financially when I got married).
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by rOsy247(f): 7:14pm On Jan 10, 2020
robosky02:
How to get married legally in Nigeria

Civil marriage in Nigeria is very important because it is recognized by the law and also serves as an evidence of a marriage contract between a couple.

Civil marriage in Nigeria is very important because it is recognized by the law and also serves as an evidence of a marriage contract between a couple.

Before having a civil wedding, there are some vital things you need to know that will prepare you for the process and guide your decisions on it.

This legal marriage is protected under the Marriage Act, Chapter 218 of Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 1990. There are two main marriage registries in Nigeria which are:

1. Federal Marriage Registries:

LAGOS – Ikoyi Registry (covers all those resident in Lagos, South-South, South East and South West)
ABUJA – Wuse 2 (covers all those resident in the Northern region)
2. All States have various Registries at the State and Local Government level.

Whichever kind of marriage registry you choose, the process involved in having a civil wedding follows the same guidelines which have been summarized below:

Filing of marriage notice:

Once you have decided to have a civil wedding, the intending bride or groom will obtain a form from their registry of choice to indicate their intention to marry. The form is a
You will also need to submit two coloured passport photographs.
The form is then posted on the
After the expiration of the notice and payment of the Prescribed Fee (this differs at each registry), the Registrar would issue a Form C after the following criteria has been met and satisfied:

That one of the parties has been resident within the district in which the marriage is intended to be celebrated.
That each of the parties to the intended marriage (not being a widower or widow) is twenty-one years old, and if under that age, the consent hereinafter made requisite has been obtained in writing and is annexed to such affidavit (meaning you have to get written permission/consent from the bride-to-be's parent or legal guardian).
That there is not any impediment of kindred or affinity, or any other lawful hindrance to the marriage
That neither of the parties to the intended marriage is married by customary law to any person other than the person with whom such marriage is proposed to be contracted.
Once the requirements mentioned above have been confirmed, the couple would swear an affidavit before the registrar or recognized minister of religion. During the sworn affidavit, the registrar would reiterate the above Prohibitive degrees and also explain the penalties involved.

Failure to disclose a breach in any of the above makes the defaulter liable to two years imprisonment.

Thereafter, the Registrar signs a declaration/affidavit to show that the couple understands the implications under the law and have met and satisfied all that has been required of them.

Upon proof that there is no lawful impediment to the proposed marriage, and that the necessary consent, if any, to such marriage has been obtained, the Minister will dispense with the giving of notice, issue the certificate, and grant his/her license, known as Form D, authorizing the celebration of a marriage between the parties named in such license.

The couple then selects a date for the wedding, usually within three months from the date the notice was placed with the registry.

On the wedding day, the couple alongside their family members and friends would go to the registry to finalize the marriage proceedings. There would be other couples that will also show up for their own celebration, and as such each couple is given a specific time that must be adhered to.

The ceremony is usually not longer than 30 minutes. During the proceedings, the Registrar would print the marriage certificates in duplicate and with counterfoils as in the FORM E. The officiating minister will fill up in duplicate a marriage certificate with the particulars required by Form E, and enter in the counterfoil the number of the certificate, the date of the marriage, names of the parties, and the names of the witnesses.

The certificate will then be signed in duplicate by the officiating minister, by the parties, and by two or more witnesses to the marriage. The minister having also signed his name to the counterfoil will deliver one certificate to the parties, and within seven days, thereafter file the same in his office.

Every Registrar will then register the marriage in a book called the Marriage Register Book, every certificate of marriage filed in his office according to the FORM F... and viola! You're married!

The civil wedding is by far the cheapest among the other types of marriage ceremonies in Nigeria, though it has got a longer process and all criteria must be met.

Tell your friends

https://www.pulse.ng/lifestyle/relationships-weddings/civil-wedding-how-to-get-married-legally-in-nigeria/t0p2y69

How about the process of divorce?
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by robosky02(m): 8:21pm On Jan 10, 2020
DavidEsq:
OP, some vital points u raised here are not consistent with the position of the law.
You stated that there are two types of marriage registries in Nigeria, namely Federal and state/local government marriage registries.
This is flawed because as u rightly stated:
"A legal marriage is protected under the Marriage Act, Chapter 218 of Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 1990".
Take notice of the phrase, "Marriage Act", which means that marriage is strictly withing the powers of the federal government of Nigeria, courtesy of the National Assembly, to regulate or make laws thereon. So it would be flawed to suggest that local governments should have marriage registries which issue certificates of marriage, when they have no powers to do so. Marriage is regulated by the ministry of interior, which is a federal government agency and it is only the marriage certificates issued on the authority of this ministry, that is valid. Any other marriage certificate issued without this authority is null and void and an empty valueless piece of paper. This is why in a recent judgement of the high court sitting at Lagos State, such marriage certificates issued by the local governments were declared to have been done without the authority of the ministry of interior and as such, null and void. That certificate of marriage is called Form E, which is contained in the Marriage Act and any certificate of marriage inconsistent with this Form E, is invalid. However, following the recent announcement by the ministry of interior on this issue, coupled with the judgment of the high court, any marriage done prior to this pronouncements are deemed valid because the parties themselves have committed no deliberate wrong. Hence they have to get a recertification of their marriage certificate, but several court decisions show that this is not mandatory to validate a marriage. Therefore, it is not every marriage registry that is a valid place of marriage, with the attendant powers to issue valid marriage certificates.
There are other factors to be considered in determining how to go about a valid marriage. Hola at me via my mail.
Cheers, OP.

The whole essence of the write up is

This year GO and Marry

For every single

Forget big big talk and wedding plan
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by robosky02(m): 8:23pm On Jan 10, 2020
rOsy247:

How about the process of divorce?

I don't personally encourage divorce

Look and look well before you marry

And after that close your eye's
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by Kiddo01(m): 8:25pm On Jan 10, 2020
It is allowed for Muslims to shake hands with Muslims and non-Muslims of the same gender when greeting, however, prohibited with non-Mahram men and women
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by wired4comfort(f): 11:41pm On Jan 10, 2020
what is the difference between court wedding and declaration of marriage?
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by Ajibade123(m): 11:53pm On Jan 10, 2020
GoTV:

You will be mercilessly scammed. Shebi na him papa be Canadian ambassador to Nigeria. Canada easy na him he dey nairaland dey hunt for mugun like you. Person wey go give you cloth suppose no dey waka naked.
you are so foolish bro... because others are scam doesn't make us scam... if you are still in doubts of tevatron you can visit our office at mobolsji street ikeja
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by rOsy247(f): 2:15am On Jan 11, 2020
robosky02:

I don't personally encourage divorce

Look and look well before you marry

And after that close your eye's

undecided
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by oodua1stson: 10:10am On Jan 11, 2020
cerpvad:
Thanks bruh. You said you were not really financially comfortable. I will like to ask, were you more financially comfortable than her or she was more financially ok than you?
Does she have your physical specs and were you two attracted to each other sexually?

Why I ask these is because my recent findings reveal that couple who are not financially and sexually compatible more than often have challenges in their marriage. Financial incompatibility exists when one of the party in the marriage earns more than the other and use that as emotion blackmailing of the other party. When it comes to finances, couple should see each other as equal party no matter who earns what.
Sexual incompatibility is absolutely when couple do not find each other sexually attractive after the marriage.
financially, I was way way better than her. She earned slightly above 50k then. I earned over 100k( which is bullshit considering the cost of living and all). Actually by the time we were separated she left with 3 phones. All were from me.

About physical specs, I'd say without mincing words that she wasn't. But I grew to love her that way. We dated for roughly 8 years be getting married and I was never faithful all through. I dated the rich, broke, sexy and all that but the last 2 years of our relationship I stopped cheating. Reason? I grew to love her. I never liked or loved her b4.i was only using her to pass time but because of how committed she was to me her love grew inside of me and I totally stopped cheating. Honestly, looking back now and seeing the kind of ladies I dumped for her( richer and cuter) an ordinary person would think I was jazzed but I wasn't. Then it was the right thing to do cos she was committed.

And about being sexually attracted to her......I swear, I'm not sexually attracted to anybody cos I don't like sex. If I'm dating you newly we might have sex everyday for a week. From there even if you fine pass queen I may not touch you in 3 weeks. I'm weird and different. I know it may cause a bit of complex issues in women but that's just me.

The things that killed the marriage were 1) from my side I hardly take things serious. Some things worried her that I didn't take serious. 2) I'm stubborn But also very reasonable. 3) fatherhood and marriage. I wasn't mentally prepared for it. You know I like my space a lot. Now having a woman staying with me all day long and all night is kinda suffocating. Coupled with some families wanting to stay with us cos she just put to bed . 4) I'm always angry when I'm broke. This is the Koko for me. The marriage, new apartment, baby all happened in a YEAR. it literally drained me of my finances. I'm someone who likes luxury and I don't spend on stupid things. So I've always lived my life having unused money in my account. Now imagine me having zero in my account. I was angry. I woke up angry and went to bed angry and I'd definitely get a call to get something when coming home. Looking back I should have handled some things better. I made quite a few mistakes but deep down I believe they were not enough to break a marriage( my own opinion)

From her side: 1) impatience. I hacked her WhatsApp and saw some of her chats. Thing with women is that they thought the grass is always greener at the other end. Like thinking if I had married so so guy I would have a personal car now and stuffs like that. Neglecting the fact that I dumped a lady whose father was ready to send me overseas for training which after I'd be working for him and be earning half a million naira monthly. I turned down the offer because I know I won't be marrying his daughter and I didn't want to be indebted to him.

2) she has complex issues. May be owing to the fact that I used to fxck around and she always had it in her mind I'm cheating or have someone else. Like I mentioned earlier I don't like sex. So according to her I have had my fill of sex outside before coming home grin grin .

3) not strong mentally. She can be easily swayed by words. When you make a decision as serious as marriage whatever anyone has to say should be unimportant. You know the person you married much more than other people. They can chip with advice but it's left to you to filter it cos at the end of the day they won't live your life for you. The only time I believe a woman should take an outsider's advice serious is if there is domestic violence.

On a good day she's a good person. But physically I'm in my prime. If I must be with a lady at this stage she must be 100% totally committed. If you think you can get a better guy then don't even consider me.

Funny thing about all these is that 3 months after we stopped communicating BOOM! I got an offer that changed my life totally for good. Life to me right now is like one big party. I can't think of marriage now that can end in misery

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by robosky02(m): 6:02pm On Jan 11, 2020
Optional1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by Authoreety: 8:14am On Jan 13, 2020
Teespice:

Shut up.

Shut up to ur husband if u have one or ur father! Anu ofia
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by tck2000(m): 10:08am On Jan 13, 2020
Jestin:
Illegal cohabitating and baby mama saga is the order of the day. For more information, contact Airforce1
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by Teespice(f): 10:33am On Jan 13, 2020
Authoreety:

Shut up to ur husband if u have one or ur father! Anu ofia
I maintain what I said.
shut up.
iberibe.
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by robosky02(m): 8:53pm On Mar 18, 2020
NaijadrivaCars:
wink

If you like, do a 20 million Naira traditional marriage and *white* wedding (except maybe you wedded in Catholic or Anglican), without a government recognised marriage, you aren't married before the law.

They will tell you not to contract any marriage after that, without ending the first legal one.

Some men do not like it because the woman benefits from such arrangement. You can't send the women away just like that without settling her, save maybe in case of adultery.

But we don't get married only to have irreconcilable differences or part.
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by collinometricx: 3:24pm On Jun 12, 2020
Optional1

Long time

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by optional1(f): 8:43am On Aug 31, 2020
collinometricx:
Optional1

Long time

I miss you oh
Send Dm
Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by collinometricx: 6:12pm On Aug 31, 2020
optional1:

I miss you oh
Send Dm
Alright

1 Like

Re: How To Get Married Legally In Nigeria by robosky02(m): 4:34pm On Sep 07, 2020
So you what to marry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

6 Siblings Who Died Of Food Poisoning In Anambra Buried Amidst Tears / Photos From Tunde Sabiu And Fatima's Wedding / Two Refugees Wed At Fufore IDP Camp, Adamawa State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.