Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:16 AM

HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne (91994 Views)

Ohi Of Okene, HRH Isah Okatahi Holds Grand Reception Of His Coronation In Style / Enitan Ogunwusi, Ooni Of Ife's 3rd Anniversary On The Throne / Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by muskypaulson(m): 4:53pm On Jan 11, 2020
The likes of you are the reason this country cant move forward ...
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Rossycee(f): 5:08pm On Jan 11, 2020
RIP Prof.. Your legacy lives on.
The bottled leopard was my best from his novels.
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Armaggedon: 5:11pm On Jan 11, 2020
Ladyhippolyta88:

@bold,
Are you serious na which statistics you take back this one up?so inter tribal marriages are nit normal unions so the causes of divorce now has to do with ethnicity what happened to finances,adultery and all that.You are kidding me some couples are not that rooted in culture and whatever value they share with their spouses is beyond cultural values.There are other incompatibiliies that affect marriages other than value incompatibility.It is not a fact until you have verifiable statistics from divorcees who gave you these reasons as to why their marriages crashed.May ethnic bias and sentiments not kill us in this country
I'm sure at this point you will find it difficult understanding yourself b'cos only a fool will argue further.

Adultery, funication, finance challenges are general marital challenges whether inter or intra tribal. However, the problem of value incompatibility is much more fundamental and it's PECULIAR to intertribal marriages, giving them HIGHER RISK of failure. only a stupid person replaces common sense with statistics.

This is the least I can break it down for you. how ever liberal and educated you claim to be, know that you can never cheat nature.
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by hylyne(m): 5:40pm On Jan 11, 2020
babyfaceafrica:

False.. If you like marry from even your family, when there is no love, no sense, no maturity and no money... Marital travails will continue abated

I don't know if it's common with all Benin girls, they are usually not stable in marriage.
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 5:44pm On Jan 11, 2020
Armaggedon:
I'm sure at this point you will find it difficult understanding yourself b'cos only a fool will argue further.

Adultery, funication, finance challenges are general marital challenges whether inter or intra tribal. However, the problem of value incompatibility is much more fundamental and it's PECULIAR to intertribal marriages, giving them HIGHER RISK of failure. only a stupid person replaces common sense with statistics.

This is the least I can break it down for you. how ever liberal and educated you claim to be, know that you can never cheat nature.

I have seen inter tribal marriages that have lasted more than intra tribal marriages there is nothing about nature here especially when the couple are not culturally rooted so talk another thing.Value compatibility does not concern ethnicity only because some tribes share same similar values so what is your point what if both couple from different background share same value abi na only culture get value what about other areas and their values?If any reason breaks such an inter tribal union it is more than the reason you pit up there becaise these things can affect intra tribal unions too.Even couples of different ethnicities can learn each others languages,food,people and culture with internet access it is much easy and can end up sharing same values through that.

Now you agree that adultery,finances happen in any type of marriage and is a reason for divorce then why are you so quick to dispel inter tribal marriages oga your argument is stupid I am also arguing based on common sense to know that there are many issues in marriage more than value compatibility to make it work or fail.I f you cannot bring statistics to back up your claim then it remains stupid and unverifiable because facts in itself is common sense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Gee64: 5:52pm On Jan 11, 2020
Resolve this matter amicably please.
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Armaggedon: 5:52pm On Jan 11, 2020
Ladyhippolyta88:

I have seen inter tribal marriages that have lasted more than intra tribal marriages there is nothing about nature here especially when the couple are not culturally rooted so talk another thing.Value compatibility does not concern ethnicity only because some tribes share same similar values so what is your point what if both couple from different background share same value abi na only culture get value what about other areas and their values?If any reason breaks such an inter tribal union it is more than the reason you pit up there becaise these things can affect intra tribal unions too.Even couples of different ethnicities can learn each others languages,food,people and culture with internet access it is much easy and can end up sharing same values through that.

Now you agree that adultery,finances happen in any type of marriage and is a reason for divorce then why are you so quick to dispel inter tribal marriages oga your argument is stupid I am also arguing based on common sense to know that there are many issues in marriage more than value compatibility to make it work or fail.I f you cannot bring statistics to back up your claim then it remains stupid and unverifiable because facts in itself is common sense.
now, ramble along!
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by rubi96(f): 6:05pm On Jan 11, 2020
Rest in peace sir. I did enjoy reading your books especially Bottled Leopard and Porter's Wheel.
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by DozieInc(m): 6:24pm On Jan 11, 2020
Sunset At Dawn.
Bottled Leopard.

Indeed a great writer... RIP HRH Prof. Chukwuemeka Ike
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by gudugudumeje: 6:40pm On Jan 11, 2020
Let them call to Ifa divinity and "efun" powder crimson of Ifa hlown to the open air space to trace him and make him walk back to the land of his throne... QED.
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by themanderon: 6:58pm On Jan 11, 2020
So sad. I guess the rich also cry. The thought of not having a heir to replace you while you are gone can be depressing to a man. Rip prof.
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by higgs: 8:16pm On Jan 11, 2020
RIP Prof.As for the throne,no problem. Ndikelionwu people are Aro,one of the major groups in Igbo land.There were no Kings in Igbo land until the British introduced the warrant chief system.Before then,Igbos practised a form of tradiditional democacy.Since Prof has no heir, any eligible man chosen by his people can be the next Ikelionwu.
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 8:41pm On Jan 11, 2020
Armaggedon:
now, ramble along!

Same here scram out cheesy

1 Like

Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Cantonese: 9:55pm On Jan 11, 2020
uruba23:
@ If it is Benin Kingdom go visit the Oba of Benin with your plea.

No sane Bini person hears the order of the Oba of Benin and dares to disobey.

1 Like

Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by babyfaceafrica: 10:08pm On Jan 11, 2020
Cantonese:

Even if the person has never been to benin before and stays in Australia?.. He/she must still fly down because ọba calls?.. Seriously!

1 Like

Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jan 11, 2020
telkevog:
A great scholar is gone. We will miss him!

On the other issue, maybe they have applied a subtle approach to the issue all along. Why not use available legal means to get your grandson back, so long as the marriage between the parents was legally consummated. Apply to a court of competent jurisdiction for an order mandating the woman and her family to produce the child, failure to which they shall be charged for contempt and disobedience to court's order. After all, the boy is an adult and the paternity has the right to his custody while the mother is granted leverage to visit and be with the boy at any time. Let them look for a good lawyer jare! Meanwhile, I am available.

Interesting! You're using indirect way to market your product.

Having said that, I believe that there's no need for all that if the young man is wise.

At 21 he's old enough to think for himself.
Rest in peace prof. I read some of your books more than six times.
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jan 11, 2020
gymer:

Not true. Two of my elder brothers married from my village. My immediate elder brother’s wife is even somehow related to us but by tradition are permitted to inter marry. The two marriages are hell on earth. I married outside my state and my tribe. I married my friend and my course mate in the university and by the grace of God, our marriage of about 12 years has been and is still heaven on earth. At a point in my life, when I saw what was happening to my elder brothers, I vowed not to marry until God used my friend who is now my wife to convince me that my own could be different. We went into it and have never had any reason to regret. All you have to do is to make God the foundation of your marriage and every other things will fall in place.

I pray that the Almighty God will console the Prof’s family and touch the heart of the other family from Benin-City to allow the young man reconnect with his paternal family.

You don't understand what the young man is saying.

Yes, you married outside your community and your marriage is rosy!

Yes, your elder brothers married in their community and their marriages are thorny!
This boils down to the individuals you guys married........ I hope you understand that part right?

Now what if you have a problem in your marriage and your brothers equally had problems in their marriages.

While your brothers are having an ear and eye on their children because someone from that community must know about their whereabout, you will be going to bini, kalawari, panya, utonko or kuviki land just like the prof is doing to look for your own children and you will be receiving loads and loads of insults on the way.

My brother, in my village, if you assemble all of them and told them that you have find a wife, they will rejoice with you, they will carry you above shoulders high. But the moment you told them that she's from Bini. Next 10 seconds you will be the only one that is still at the village square. Every other person will be snoring in their houses.
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by CeterisXVII: 11:21pm On Jan 11, 2020
babyfaceafrica:
False.. If you like marry from even your family, when there is no love, no sense, no maturity and no money... Marital travails will continue abated
shadeyinka:
Wrong!
The dead king and his wife seem to have a marriage lasting the lifetime of the king.

Wrong spouses are everywhere! Open your eyes
Pure fact! Very true! May the wisdom God deposited inside all of you, continue to increase o jaré!
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by CeterisXVII: 11:24pm On Jan 11, 2020
Osagyefo98:
Pure Fact.

Such scenerio won't have occurred if they have married from their community.

You nailed it with that your statement.
Ojiofor:
It's a lie. If he had married from his village he won't be looking for his offspring before he died.
irepnaija4eva:
IT Would have been easier if the said prince married within their village all these wahala won't have surfaced...

That's why it is very important for all royal families marry within.
NDIOGAH:
marrying from your village/community is advisable, but this coconut generation dont listen.
LabDNA:
Marry from your community or at least your region. It will help keep things uncomplicated to a large extent.
Lies from the pit of hell. If there is no compatibility between the couple, if you like come from the next street inside the same village, that marriage will scatter like dried okra.

In fact, when people come from the same village, they know the exact way to deal ruthlessly with their spouses.

Did the late Chukwuemeka Ike himself, marry from his community? Or his village?
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by CeterisXVII: 11:33pm On Jan 11, 2020
anochuko01:
Is there a statistics for this?
What's the probability?
This case is an outlier.
What if the child had died at birth?

The problem is from the prof who's got just a child...

Na today them start inter tribal marriage?
OdefaGirl:
That's so true!
It's the father that taught him inter- tribal marriage, and the king did not even think of marrying another woman since his wife only bore one child for him.
The late Prof had other children who died during the civil war.....from what I heard.
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by CeterisXVII: 11:36pm On Jan 11, 2020
franchasng:
#FACT!!

Inter-tribal and interracial marriages come with too many bagages that many humans cannot handle at the long run.

Single ladies and guys reading, avoid yourself all these marital troubles, reduce the risk of marital failure and misdemeanor, marry from your tribe, if possible from your community or closest community that share similar culture, tradition, values and of course religious belief with you.

Stop trying to invent love or rediscover what has been discovered, marry from your tribe and religion and save yourself a lot of stress angry

Prof thought he is too learned and have overcome tribe, belief, etc...and he went about marrying anyhow and also allowed his son to marry anyhow, now look at where it landed him and his entire family angry angry

Don't be more western than the West.....use your brains, being educated, exposed and rich does not exempt you from the laws of tradition and humanity.

Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by CeterisXVII: 11:44pm On Jan 11, 2020
Ladyhippolyta88:
When did igboland start having kingship aunty I thought the igbo system was more acephalous and republican than any.When did igbos start having kings?

What if the fertility issue is the kings fault, should the Queen cheat on him since according to you there is a difference and the man should not love his wife but marry another, did they not have an heir they had a child and were not childless now so what has happened after that.

Even if he married an igbo woman from his village a bad wife will always be a bad wife and will still do worse if she wants to.

Stop playing tribal sentiments because I have seen couples from the same place with many issues worse than this. Nothing is wrong with inter tribal marriages you don't tell people whom to love is the late man's wife not Yoruba why did she not abandon him and take their son away?Since inter tribal marriages things like this are bound to hapoen
So life happens anywhere
God bless you always!! Your post make sense, die! cool cheesy

1 Like

Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by CeterisXVII: 11:49pm On Jan 11, 2020
Marotzke:
Don't get it twisted.
(Oyster St Iyke) Osita Ike, had plenty children , mostly girls.
Prof Emovon's daughter bore his only son.
Where are those girls, now? shocked
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by CeterisXVII: 11:51pm On Jan 11, 2020
Temptee101:
shocked Stop mis-informing the younger generation who are unfortunate to be reading what you put up there

Marrying from your village, will it stop a chronic womanizer from womanizing or an irresponsible father to become responsible

If you like mould a wife or husband for yourself, when the basic requirements that keeps a home moving is lacking there is bound to be crisis

Spits

See finishing!! I no fit laugh again! cheesy This is too much! Stop it....I say stop it! grin
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by CeterisXVII: 11:55pm On Jan 11, 2020
Armaggedon:
you don't get it do you? intertribal marriages come with PECULIAR challenges. yes there are mixed couples doing well but those cases are isolated and not an average case scenario.
for instance, the slogan 'cultism kills' is used to describe the imperiled future of a campus cultist. a cultist has a higher risk of being killed or truncating his schooling more than the average student. But then I've seen a successful medical doctor who was once a campus cultist and I've also seen a university dropout who wasn't involved in cultism. Is that a justification to encourage campus cultism? No!
likewise there are marriages involving people from same community having issues. it does not vitiate the fact inter ethnic unions have higher risk of failure than normal unions because of the peculiar challenge of value incompatibility. its not an opinion its a fact.

They are NOT isolated.....they are many, and such inter-tribal marriages, run into millions. If you were raised in any cosmopolitan city in Nigeria ( like Lagos, Port-harcourt, Abuja etc), you would realise that inter-tribal marriages are quite common.

Many years ago, people travelled widely within Nigeria for business, commerce, trade and education, from the south to the north and vice versa.

Several of those itinerant traders, took spouses from the communities they settled in, or traded with. A lot of men were polygamous in the past, so such things were common practice.

Unfortnately, people who were raised in their own villages, and schooled within their own ethnic region, and hardly travelled outside their area until they were full grown adults, often it difficult to understand this.
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by CeterisXVII: 12:01am On Jan 12, 2020
gymer:
Not true. Two of my elder brothers married from my village. My immediate elder brother’s wife is even somehow related to us but by tradition are permitted to inter marry. The two marriages are hell on earth. I married outside my state and my tribe. I married my friend and my course mate in the university and by the grace of God, our marriage of about 12 years has been and is still heaven on earth. At a point in my life, when I saw what was happening to my elder brothers, I vowed not to marry until God used my friend who is now my wife to convince me that my own could be different. We went into it and have never had any reason to regret. All you have to do is to make God the foundation of your marriage and every other things will fall in place.

I pray that the Almighty God will console the Prof’s family and touch the heart of the other family from Benin-City to allow the young man reconnect with his paternal family.

Correct guy! I wish you all the happiness in the world. Continue enjoying your marriage, o jaré!
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by CeterisXVII: 12:04am On Jan 12, 2020
Ladyhippolyta88:
@bold,
Are you serious na which statistics you take back this one up?so inter tribal marriages are nit normal unions so the causes of divorce now has to do with ethnicity what happened to finances,adultery and all that.You are kidding me some couples are not that rooted in culture and whatever value they share with their spouses is beyond cultural values.There are other incompatibiliies that affect marriages other than value incompatibility. It is not a fact until you have verifiable statistics from divorcees who gave you these reasons as to why their marriages crashed.May ethnic bias and sentiments not kill us in this country
You dey mind am? shocked See the myopic arguments he is putting forward....and yet he claims to be educated.

Ask him if divorce cases have not occurred, between couples from the same community in his area, and you will hear the convoluted answer that will come from his keyboard.... angry

If sharing the same ethnicity was all it took for any marriage to succeed, many lawyers will be out of work.

1 Like

Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Ebenezar2020(m): 1:09am On Jan 12, 2020
Cantonese:

oga keep quiet there and stop over hyping a mere dust. as if this una so called Oba is immortal sef.
Mtchew!
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by Nobody: 2:23am On Jan 12, 2020
CeterisXVII:

Lies from the pit of hell. If there is no compatibility between the couple, if you like come from the next street inside the same village, that marriage will scatter like dried okra.

In fact, when people come from the same village, they know the exact way to deal ruthlessly with their spouses.

Did the late Chukwuemeka Ike himself, marry from his community? Or his village?

Stop encouraging evil because u not wiser than our forefathers.

There is no gain in inter tribal marriages mosr especially Nigerian tribes.
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by dom(m): 2:54am On Jan 12, 2020
agulion:
50% of marital problem is solved when you marry from your village

THE NEARER, THE BETTER
Re: HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne by AyakaDunukofia: 3:28am On Jan 12, 2020
higgs:
RIP Prof.As for the throne,no problem. Ndikelionwu people are Aro,one of the major groups in Igbo land.There were no Kings in Igbo land until the British introduced the warrant chief system.Before then,Igbos practised a form of tradiditional democacy.Since Prof has no heir, any eligible man chosen by his people can be the next Ikelionwu.

What you wrote made sense; they're all Aros afterall. However, it is important to point out that Prof. Ike was a direct descendant of Ikelionwu Ufele, the founder of the town. I love anthropology. To preserve that progenital continuation would be beautiful, if possible.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? / The 10 Most Expensive Cultures/tribes In Nigeria To Marry From / A Yoruba Poem- Ise Logun Ise (work Is The Antidote For Poverty)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.