Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,122 members, 7,814,938 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ (69254 Views)

Canada Rush: What Desperate Nigerian Asylum Seekers Are Saying About Nigeria / Canada Rejects 70.7% Of Nigerian Asylum Seekers Who Crossed Borders / Canada Warns Nigerian Asylum Seekers Crossing From US 'No Free Ticket' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by maasoap(m): 11:29am On Jan 13, 2020
ruggedtimi:
inspiring

Not inspiring about this story. We just need to a lesson or two.
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by maasoap(m): 11:32am On Jan 13, 2020
mu2sa2:
On top looking for greener pastures! Seriously, even if he started with selling gala or "pure" water anywhere in nigeria, after 20 years he would have been better off than wasting all those years playing hide-and-seek with the police in oyibo land. Now 55, no wife, no children, no job, where will he start?

I hope he doesn't commit suicide
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by maasoap(m): 11:39am On Jan 13, 2020
Youthleader22:
The beauty of the story is that he didn't for once taught of returning to Nigeria. It took him many years and he turned a good person. He didn't allow the harshness of poverty or frustration make him a gangsta. He was good and the people saw the kindness in him and helped him.
May our helper locate us this year 2020. IJN. Amen.

Returning to Nigeria would have been the beauty of the story. At 55, he is spent, with nothing to build on. Where is he going to start now? Of course, the church will employ him. How long, how many hours of work can he do now? For how many years more? He made a lifetime mistake. There are many legal and legitimate ways to survive and make a living. His mistake was that he limited his options to one and it's funny you didn't see that as a grave mistake. We are talking about TIME, it's gone forever!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by maasoap(m): 11:43am On Jan 13, 2020
Skepticus:

One thing a lot of people don't know is that achievement is subjective. The leave to remain might be what he wanted all along and he'll be satisfied.

That you can't sacrifice that much for something doesn't mean that others can't sacrifice their comfort and suffer much to achieve that.

At least, the military dictator who is chasing him won't have opportunity to cut off his head now. Lol. I hope it worth it

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by Nobody: 11:45am On Jan 13, 2020
philip0906:

My friend please go and sleep in London buses and free me...

Tueh!!
Yes London Buses are better than facing the risk of being kidnapped and used for Rituals or container falling on my head or spending 6 hours travelling from Airport to Banana Island . It gets worse everyday

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by maasoap(m): 11:56am On Jan 13, 2020
Youthleader22:

Everyone saying he wasted his youthful years are ignorant of who human are. Not everyone wants to be very rich and popular. I'm sure what he wanted was to live a simple life and the love of the city of London gave him that idea of staying back.

I have uncles and also know of so many people living in UK and USA doing very well but they never step thier foot in Nigeria. So what are we talking about?

Did they sleep in the cold of the nights for 21 fvcking years too (252 months)? How he survived that long on the streets of London was even a rare blessing. He wasted beyond second chance

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by Oshokalo: 1:19pm On Jan 13, 2020
I won abuse somebody,everybody know the person
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by Ayemileto(m): 2:50pm On Jan 13, 2020
alfasexy:
This is why I hate church people. They will do everything and even spend to keep you in your misery while praising themselves that they are doing good.

Well, it's the church that eventually helped him stay legally.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by Chaleeee: 3:15pm On Jan 13, 2020
samorobo:

Lay low in poverty while people are escaping their rathole to mansions.....

Just because it hasn't worked for you doesn't mean it hasn't worked for others..

If it has worked for you, you won't be on nairaland justifying the contraption called Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by dederocs(m): 4:14pm On Jan 13, 2020
toyetade:

Your writing has betrayed you. . Make your point without being abusive. I live in the same london with my own personal house worth more than £500k and british citizen since 2008 though I left Nigeria with just 6 months Visa 2001. I didn't have to sleep in buses to achieve that. Stay in your Nigeria and enjoy your ignorance
What is your status in the British society?
If you are not one of the start up guys, or business men there exporting Nigeria, but just hustling and living the mundane 9/5, then shut up. A lot of Nigerians don't need to wake up and go to work by 9am, and still make much more than you. Am sure you are a 9/5iver trying to catch up with the British rat race, enjoy it and leave us in peace. I take vacations to UK, Dubai etc, but still love it here, and live here. stop sounding like a local man that just got an opportunity to travel out. Yes, I do business. All the top African business men and mega stars reside here, so it depends on what you do in Nigeria, I really don't envy you Nigerians working your ass out in the UK just to survive, no reasonable person will envy that life. It's just toiling.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by dederocs(m): 4:17pm On Jan 13, 2020
Chaleeee:

If it has worked for you, you won't be on nairaland justifying the contraption called Nigeria.
Keep being a slave till you die, I rather live like a king in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jan 13, 2020
dederocs:

If you are not one of the start up guys, or business men there exporting Nigeria, but just hustling and living the mundane 9/5, then shut up. A lot of Nigerians don't need to wake up and go to work by 9am, and still make much more than you. Am sure you are a 9/5iver trying to catch up with the British rat race, enjoy it and leave us in peace. I take vacations to UK, Dubai etc, but still love it here, and live here. stop sounding like a local man that just got an opportunity to travel out. Yes, I do business. All the top African business men and mega stars reside here, so it depends on what you do in Nigeria, I really don't envy you Nigerians working your ass out in the UK just to survive, no reasonable person will envy that life. It's just toiling.
You are not worth my time because you have complex already and you don't think with your brain. The vacations you go to is after you applied for your visa which may or may not be granted. My British passport can take me to 184 countries without any visa. Keep on doing your so called business of 419 and fraud, kidnapping and ritual killings. Tell me how the business will be after 10years. I have no more time for you. We are worlds apart.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jan 13, 2020
dederocs:

Ignorant is your problem. You haven't been to other clime. Have you heard of flexible workings , working from home and all that stuff. With your so called business you cant enjoy all those and if you go on leave your business will fall.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by MOnkeyBabe(f): 5:18pm On Jan 13, 2020
Yankiss:
This is difficult to understand. Wasting all of 21 years jumping away one's destiny. Am I the only one who thinks the refugee aspect of running from an iron-cast dictatorship was cooked up by guyman? Raise your hand if u thought so too. Nigerians cant cease to amaze me. For God's sake people still make it in Nigeria!!
the ones in cult abi?
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by MOnkeyBabe(f): 5:25pm On Jan 13, 2020
mu2sa2:
On top looking for greener pastures! Seriously, even if he started with selling gala or "pure" water anywhere in nigeria, after 20 years he would have been better off than wasting all those years playing hide-and-seek with the police in oyibo land. Now 55, no wife, no children, no job, where will he start?
FiRst, if he doesn't have Returning papers for re-entry into the u.k, he shouldn't Return because they would ban him permanently for over 10years and further till he sorts things out.
2.) He didn't or may not have established contacts to start up something in nigeria. He shouldn't return.
You don't just appear anywhere and things start working.
Look at you talking about him coming to sell gala, I wonder what kind of human being you are really
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by sharone21(f): 5:29pm On Jan 13, 2020

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by MOnkeyBabe(f): 5:30pm On Jan 13, 2020
Youthleader22:
The beauty of the story is that he didn't for once taught of returning to Nigeria. It took him many years and he turned a good person. He didn't allow the harshness of poverty or frustration make him a gangsta. He was good and the people saw the kindness in him and helped him.
May our helper locate us this year 2020. IJN. Amen.
aah. Who want be gangsta?? AGBeRO is a little bit better. At least it's a little more dignifying as a Black in a Black Country. The worst thing is just traveling from Nigeria to be a gangster here especially Akata

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by MOnkeyBabe(f): 5:42pm On Jan 13, 2020
Out where pls?
nextstep:
21 years ago was 1999. Which military regime kept him from coming back since then?
His peers are DGs, managers, business owners in all kinds of fields now. Is it now he will start building towards retirement?

My people, please don't go and waste your life in obodo oyinbo. The best situation is those who hustle and make it here, and can visit that side any bloody time they want.

People say no jobs, no opportunities... There are tons of people making it big in legitimate businesses, so unless you're waiting for a job to land in your lap, you need to go out and seize the multitude of opportunities out there.
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by MOnkeyBabe(f): 6:19pm On Jan 13, 2020
Chaleeee:

Where are people making it big all over the country? Abeg show me the place. Where are the opportunities? Or you mean opportunity to commit suicide?

No mind am. Keep your head up, BROther.
Everywhere now na who know man things, club, social circle, clique, name it, etc.
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by MOnkeyBabe(f): 6:28pm On Jan 13, 2020
[50 GULDER STOUT FOR YOU. A LOT OF PEOPLE ABROAD WASTE FOOD THAT CAN BE USED TO FEED GENERATIONS IN AFRICA quote author=Pedrotina11 post=85736846]People are very obvious...learn to think outside the box...this man has been working, do u knw whether he is using it as a trick to save enough, he can sleep in bus, beg for food so that he can save up enough money for 21 years, and nw he has a permanent stay...this man can come back to Nigeria tomorrow and erect a powerful mansion...lol I laff some people...because this is something I can do..go abroad struggle save enough..I dnt care wat I do to struggle becos nobody knws me there...life is wisdom..[/quote]
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by MOnkeyBabe(f): 6:35pm On Jan 13, 2020
greenprince:
Despite everything, crime was NEVER an option

I respect his character

Who get time for that one? So that all these useless people will start disturbing some one. Call you heyhs hehs wetin dey foryour pocket like Senior wan (1) for BOaRDingSChool. Any small money I get it dey hide am for pant or womb. I no even trust abroad police. They are all the same. If God forbid, there is any issue and they run into you, they would start collecting your things. My smallest $20 I'm saving in my pocket is very important to me o and not a donation. I cannot take RiskS
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by MOnkeyBabe(f): 6:39pm On Jan 13, 2020
ekerintee:
Sometimes some people ridicule nigeria because they have not gone out,when you ask nigerians abroad.they will tell you know place like home.even as bad as Nigeria is,it's still a good place .Every country has its own problem.The best place to make money is Africa,not abroad.Every cent you make abroad goes back to their economy.you work your life out to sustain their economy.while Nigerians are sleeping ,some of the people working abroad are already at work.do you know people wake up so early to work in some places doing tedious work and sleep late and because they send you money .you think life is easy for them.Do you know how many work some Nigerians are doing to survive .do you know the kind of racism they go thru.do you think they are given hundred percent opportunities abroad.some spend several years abroad with nothing to show.do you know there are many people who have spent 30 years abroad without having houses abroad.they build house in Nigeria and when they build house.do you think many can afford to build a house in banana island .I am not saying some cant afford it.the truth is that most Nigerians abroad are just average people abroad and not extremely rich

Even 50 years with no house sef. That one na normal things. Even if you get am, na in moRtGage
We tRusT

quote author=Keemsleek005 post=85736229]

Blessed on your comment, while someone just said it's better to live on the bus in UK then live at banana island. It's well.
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by seangy4konji: 7:07pm On Jan 13, 2020
Better to leave buhari with his problem oo..

To come and dowhat..the same people saying he should come back home will notbopen their doors to drink garri from their plate..

Bad people and evil people na him full Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by MOnkeyBabe(f): 7:23pm On Jan 13, 2020
IpobAntidote:

By this time tomorrow I should be getting ready to board my Delta flight to Atlanta. By 10pm I should be in my Delta one seat, with my shoes off, jacket taking care of by by hostess while I'm sipping on a cold glass of mimosa before the plane even leaves the ground.
That's the life you can only dream of.
And guess what, I'm back to Nigeria in just about 3 to 4 days. That's the life I live, dream and work hard and pray for such life.

Indeed, you must be the son of a very great politician/magician or have some serious connections. A lot of things you are not telling us. It's unfair to make it look like life is good in nigeria for the average man.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by MOnkeyBabe(f): 7:44pm On Jan 13, 2020
tot:

I tell you. Mental resilience. Not everyone has it unfortunately.

If people want to come out and be free in order to do what they really love and get stuff off their mind. Una go allow them? The Best therapy to these things is being yourself sometimes.
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by nextstep(m): 7:48pm On Jan 13, 2020
MOnkeyBabe:
Out where pls?

Please see this my reply on this thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/5627471/nigerian-asylum-seeker-spent-21/3#85737419

Basically, I gave examples of people starting companies to package dried fruit and kuli kuli. Most people didn't consider it as a viable business, but those that saw the opportunity are now smiling to the bank as their products are in stores, restaurants, and airlines. It's just an example of the different opportunities that abound.

The irony is the average Nigerian will say there are no jobs or opportunities, yet the average Chinese, Indian, Lebanese, comes here and exploits those same opportunities that we don't see - hiding in plain sight.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by IpobAntidote: 7:52pm On Jan 13, 2020
MOnkeyBabe:

Indeed, you must be the son of a very great politician/magician or have some serious connections. A lot of things you are not telling us. It's unfair to make it look like life is good in nigeria for the average man.

Totally wrong. I'm not son of any politician, I'm self made. I'm not financially super rich but I'm ok.
Most importantly, I'm not saying life is not hard in Nigeria, far from it. Life is hard especially for those just getting out of universities but its not as bad as some will like to portray the country.

Also once you have traveled to other parts of the world you'll realize that every country has their own struggle.
Obviously it's much much easier to make it from nothing in some other countries especially the developed countries. Nigeria has its advantages too but if you already have your mind made up that the country is fvcked up then you will not even see the opportunity even if it's sitting on your nose. Almost everytime I'm on flight, I'm always meeting foreigners coming to Nigeria to take advantage of the opportunities.
Lastly, despite all the struggles in Nigeria, some actually prefer to live here than other places.
So I totally understand the pain of those struggling to keep their heads above water but pls never give up, keep striving and one day you will get a breakthrough.
Hard work, dreaming, luck and a little prayer is the way. Not just praying and expecting a miracle.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by mu2sa2: 7:53pm On Jan 13, 2020
MOnkeyBabe:

FiRst, if he doesn't have Returning papers for re-entry into the u.k, he shouldn't Return because they would ban him permanently for over 10years and further till he sorts things out.
2.) He didn't or may not have established contacts to start up something in nigeria. He shouldn't return.
You don't just appear anywhere and things start working.
Look at you talking about him coming to sell gala, I wonder what kind of human being you are really
I didn't say he should or shouldnt come back to nigeria. What i am saying is that if he had remained in nigeria and started with a small business like selling gala or sachet water, after 20 years he would have been better off compared to the miserable life he's living in london now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by MOnkeyBabe(f): 8:03pm On Jan 13, 2020
poseidon12:

I read the article you linked. The article is about a white nationalist group that are expressing anger that their European homeland is being taken over by blacks. These nationalists are in the minority and they are not new. They have been around since time immemorial. They are racists. In spite of the few racists, in all those European countries, blacks are still treated much better than the ethnic minorities are treated in a place like Nigeria.
In those countries, you see black members of parliament and Mayors. In the US, a black man whose father was Kenyan, became President.
Yet in Nigeria, some Nigerians will proudly announce that some ethnic groups should never become President. On the Nairaland Forum, you observe Nigerians proudly displaying hatred for other ethnic groups. You have a President Buhari who is openly and proudly tribalistic, widely supported by a lot of fellow Nigerian tribalists.
Right now, we are commemorating 50 years of Biafra. Since you are good at looking for links, you should search for, and watch the genocide that the mostly Hausa/Fulani ethnic group carried out on fellow human beings, the Igbo. Till date, 50 years after the Biafra war, most Nigerians are still persecuting the Igbos. But the same Nigerians like to be treated well when they travel outside Nigeria.
The Lebanese and the Indians have been living in Nigeria since before the independence. Yet we don't allow them to participate in our politics. I don't know of any of them that are in the Senate or House of Representatives or Local government Chairman or Governor.

I will take racism of the whites over the tribalism of Nigerians. You are the one that is not exposed.
In the US, you have China Towns, Little Italy, Jewish neighborhoods. There are many Nigerians living in the US right now. But we don't have Nigerian neighborhoods or Little Nigeria. Nigerians there generally like to live in predominantly white neighborhoods instead of among each other. I wonder why?
interesting write up. But don't be offended are you lebanese? Your very first point was splendid about tribalism /racism. The last one is that there are many nigerians in black neighborhoods, and many buildings as a unit being occupied by nigerians/africans.
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by DexterousOne(m): 8:03pm On Jan 13, 2020
dederocs:

You tripping cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by DexterousOne(m): 8:05pm On Jan 13, 2020
nextstep:

Please see this my reply on this thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/5627471/nigerian-asylum-seeker-spent-21/3#85737419

Basically, I gave examples of people starting companies to package dried fruit and kuli kuli. Most people didn't consider it as a viable business, but those that saw the opportunity are now smiling to the bank as their products are in stores, restaurants, and airlines. It's just an example of the different opportunities that abound.

The irony is the average Nigerian will say there are no jobs or opportunities, yet the average Chinese, Indian, Lebanese, comes here and exploits those same opportunities that we don't see - hiding in plain sight.

If u are saying this

Then you have no idea of our predicament in Nigeria

You think those Chinese and Indians are just coming like that?

Man

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by DexterousOne(m): 8:06pm On Jan 13, 2020
MOnkeyBabe:
the ones in cult abi?

Yea
Some who make it in Nigeria belong to fraternities

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Isreal Orders Africans To Leave Or Face Imprisonment / African Migrants Hiding Inside Dashboard And Engine / Yellow Fever Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.