Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ (69258 Views)

Canada Rush: What Desperate Nigerian Asylum Seekers Are Saying About Nigeria / Canada Rejects 70.7% Of Nigerian Asylum Seekers Who Crossed Borders / Canada Warns Nigerian Asylum Seekers Crossing From US 'No Free Ticket' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by iswallker(m): 8:53pm On Jan 12, 2020
philip0906:

Your think everyone in obodo oyinbo picks money on the streets? Anyways good luck with your quest to pick money on the streets of London built with gold.

Bye
It's not built with gold but his kids will get quality education - and lead a normal life - not a life of anxiety and uncirtainty - bye..

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by greenprince(m): 9:11pm On Jan 12, 2020
tot:

True but temperatures drop quite low at night, and the heating on the bus can not be compared to what you have in a home and can control yourself. The poor guy. I feel for him.

Yeah, he's really had it tough. The mental strength to not give up on life is something huge.
If only we can all be that strong, rather suicide keeps cutting lives short.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by Averey: 9:12pm On Jan 12, 2020
[s]
itsme01:
many able Nigerian wasting away in Diaspora
[/s]
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by Averey: 9:13pm On Jan 12, 2020
[s]
post=85735756:

Apt reply!
He's surely 'slow' no doubt!
[/s]
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by tot(f): 9:23pm On Jan 12, 2020
greenprince:

Yeah, he's really had it tough. The mental strength to not give up on life is something huge.
If only we can all be that strong, rather suicide keeps cutting lives short.

I tell you. Mental resilience. Not everyone has it unfortunately.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by anago40: 9:26pm On Jan 12, 2020
We need to focus on the problems of the nation. We need to focus on the problem of federalism; we need to focus on the problem of resources. For a nation of about 200 million people, we just passed a budget of $29b, a bit more than the budget of Harvard University for one year. Egypt with only about a hundred million people passed a budget of about $90b. South Africa with only about 34 million people, that is about 17 percent of the population of Nigeria passed a budget of about of $130b. We are in a mess. We are pathetically poor and Nigerian politicians are acting as if things are honky-dory. They are not!
Dayo Adeyeye

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by Cousin9999: 9:30pm On Jan 12, 2020
I could understand if he did this and worked under the table (legit jobs) and studied, but in all this time all he did was take handouts and waste his talent. Even in that position, he could have found a job and gotten a work visa there. He could have went to another country. Something is missing from this story, or maybe it's fake.

He basically refused to establish himself because he got all that free stuff. They were enabling him. Maybe it's good he went to the UK because what would he even be doing in Nigeria? Nothing good I suspect.

I'd like to think having his papers will change his lifestyle, but we'll see.
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by poseidon12: 9:32pm On Jan 12, 2020
Nigsrdumb:

Please open the link to see how unexposed you are .. read a few other articles on the site

You don't know Europeans at all
https://www.defendevropa.com/2020/news/population-replacement/new-year-babies-in-europe-show-a-demographic-grim-future/

I read the article you linked. The article is about a white nationalist group that are expressing anger that their European homeland is being taken over by blacks. These nationalists are in the minority and they are not new. They have been around since time immemorial. They are racists. In spite of the few racists, in all those European countries, blacks are still treated much better than the ethnic minorities are treated in a place like Nigeria.
In those countries, you see black members of parliament and Mayors. In the US, a black man whose father was Kenyan, became President.
Yet in Nigeria, some Nigerians will proudly announce that some ethnic groups should never become President. On the Nairaland Forum, you observe Nigerians proudly displaying hatred for other ethnic groups. You have a President Buhari who is openly and proudly tribalistic, widely supported by a lot of fellow Nigerian tribalists.
Right now, we are commemorating 50 years of Biafra. Since you are good at looking for links, you should search for, and watch the genocide that the mostly Hausa/Fulani ethnic group carried out on fellow human beings, the Igbo. Till date, 50 years after the Biafra war, most Nigerians are still persecuting the Igbos. But the same Nigerians like to be treated well when they travel outside Nigeria.
The Lebanese and the Indians have been living in Nigeria since before the independence. Yet we don't allow them to participate in our politics. I don't know of any of them that are in the Senate or House of Representatives or Local government Chairman or Governor.

I will take racism of the whites over the tribalism of Nigerians. You are the one that is not exposed.
In the US, you have China Towns, Little Italy, Jewish neighborhoods. There are many Nigerians living in the US right now. But we don't have Nigerian neighborhoods or Little Nigeria. Nigerians there generally like to live in predominantly white neighborhoods instead of among each other. I wonder why?
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by poseidon12: 9:36pm On Jan 12, 2020
Nigsrdumb:

As someone with common sense,why will Europeans welcome this type of people into their country?

There's a certain disconnect with the thinking pattern of black people.

Why will Europeans welcome who? You mean the one the Europeans granted a stay already?
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by poseidon12: 9:39pm On Jan 12, 2020
don4real18:

I will rather stay in a 3 bedroom flat in Ajegunle than to live in buses in the UK.

The living in buses in the UK is temporary, you know.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jan 12, 2020
poseidon12:

I read the article you linked. The article is about a white nationalist group that are expressing anger that their European homeland is being taken over by blacks. These nationalists are in the minority and they are not new. They have been around since time immemorial. They are racists. In spite of the few racists, in all those European countries, blacks are still treated much better than the ethnic minorities are treated in a place like Nigeria.
In those countries, you see black members of parliament and Mayors. In the US, a black man whose father was Kenyan, became President.
Yet in Nigeria, some Nigerians will proudly announce that some ethnic groups should never become President. On the Nairaland Forum, you observe Nigerians proudly displaying hatred for other ethnic groups. You have a President Buhari who is openly and proudly tribalistic, widely supported by a lot of fellow Nigerian tribalists.
Right now, we are commemorating 50 years of Biafra. Since you are good at looking for links, you should search for, and watch the genocide that the mostly Hausa/Fulani ethnic group carried out on fellow human beings, the Igbo. Till date, 50 years after the Biafra war, most Nigerians are still persecuting the Igbos. But the same Nigerians like to be treated well when they travel outside Nigeria.
The Lebanese and the Indians have been living in Nigeria since before the independence. Yet we don't allow them to participate in our politics. I don't know of any of them that are in the Senate or House of Representatives or Local government Chairman or Governor.

I will take racism of the whites over the tribalism of Nigerians. You are the one that is not exposed.
In the US, you have China Towns, Little Italy, Jewish neighborhoods. There are many Nigerians living in the US right now. But we don't have Nigerian neighborhoods or Little Nigeria. Nigerians there generally like to live in predominantly white neighborhoods instead of among each other. I wonder why?

You have no idea, things have changed and it's going to get worse.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by poseidon12: 9:43pm On Jan 12, 2020
TOPCRUISE:
So going back to Nigeria is death sentence grin

Of course, it could mess up one's destiny, especially if you don't yet have useful skills and some reasonable capital to start life with.
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by poseidon12: 9:47pm On Jan 12, 2020
adonainana:

As seen in evidence of 21 years of homelessness sleeping on public transport

Well, as you can see, the homelessness was temporary. Now he can legally get a decent job or train for one.
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by poseidon12: 9:48pm On Jan 12, 2020
FirePower1:
Are there not homeless Nigerian citizens in Nigeria? Some have been sleeping under the bridges for more than 21yrs. The man weighed his options and made his choice and he has been living with the consequence of his choice, I wonder why that should be anyone's headache. I thank God for him that his story has changed eventually, because he could also have continued sleeping in the buses till his death. It is a testimony!

Exactly.
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jan 12, 2020
mu2sa2:
On top looking for greener pastures! Seriously, even if he started with selling gala or "pure" water anywhere in nigeria, after 20 years he would have been better off than wasting all those years playing hide-and-seek with the police in oyibo land. Now 55, no wife, no children, no job, where will he start?
Clearly there is more to this story we are not hearing about.

It is very likely for homeless people to fall into depression or mental illness which may be caused by or compounded by slide into alcoholism, drug addiction.

If you notice he had no friends or family willing to assist him, the lady from the church and others were only willing to pay for his travel card or give him food rather than giving him money in his hand.
This likely explains how he could waste 21 years being homeless in London.
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by poseidon12: 10:00pm On Jan 12, 2020
anago40:

We need to focus on the problems of the nation. We need to focus on the problem of federalism; we need to focus on the problem of resources. For a nation of about 200 million people, we just passed a budget of $29b, a bit more than the budget of Harvard University for one year. Egypt with only about a hundred million people passed a budget of about $90b. South Africa with only about 34 million people, that is about 17 percent of the population of Nigeria passed a budget of about of $130b. We are in a mess. We are pathetically poor and Nigerian politicians are acting as if things are honky-dory. They are not!
Dayo Adeyeye

Wow. South Africa's budget $130b, Nigeria's $29b. And some clowns like to pretend that Nigeria is a rich country. Nigeria is potentially rich. We need to unlock that potential by restructuring Nigeria. Nigerians made a big mistake by giving Buhari a second term. Terrible mistake.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by Acme45: 10:04pm On Jan 12, 2020
OyinO:
Heaven/Haven is Europe while Hell is Africa. So people run away to escape hell by going to Haven/Heaven. Shame on African leaders and the dumb youths following and supporting them. The land flowing with milk and honey is Africa, and nowhere else. Look at the international disgrace of AFRICA'S TOP CRUDE OIL EXPORTER.
correct

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by kriss27(m): 10:10pm On Jan 12, 2020
kingphilip:
Though it tarry, wait for it it will surely come. After 21 years, he has finally gotten a leave to remain

May 2020 bestow upon us those blessings that have eluded us for previous years
AMEN
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by don4real18(m): 10:19pm On Jan 12, 2020
poseidon12:

The living in buses in the UK is temporary, you know.
Of course, I know. So is the flat.
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by poseidon12: 10:22pm On Jan 12, 2020
Nigsrdumb:

You have no idea, things have changed and it's going to get worse.

Leave the Europeans alone and focus on Nigeria. It is also getting worse here in Nigeria. Right now you have a President that has armed his ethnic Fulani militants from outside Nigeria to come in and take over the country. There is increased insecurity because of FG sponsored violence. And Nigerians are being discriminated against in their own country because of tribalism.

There is a rise in White nationalism because of the influx of foreigners from Africa and the Arab region. This is understandable. The people see it as an invasion. The flow of migrants to Europe should be reduced.
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by RaptorX: 10:26pm On Jan 12, 2020
No Nigerian living in London or has ever visited will ever say living on a bus in London is better than living in a mansion in Banana island. London is a dump, with a high rate of crime, homelessness, racism. I prefer to live in a slum in Nigeria before living in goddam London.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by baslone: 10:34pm On Jan 12, 2020
greenprince:

You are not thinking holistically. How many of us can be Wizkid and Burna boy? How many people can the entertainment and comedy circle accommodate? We're talking opportunities available for millions and not a select few. Ask yourself where all your high school or college graduates are today. How many are feeding off what they studied?

Property on the island is over rated and pretty expensive but guess what thousands of houses you see from VI to Ikoyi to Lekki Ajah belongs to people like you and I.

Don’t let the celebrity lifestyle deceive you. How many of them really own their own homes?

Forget it people are hustling hard out here and cashing out big time especially the Igbos. Paper qualifications will only deceive you.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by OkoroPeugeot(m): 10:37pm On Jan 12, 2020
Wasted destiny

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by 77up(m): 10:40pm On Jan 12, 2020
SweetBuns:

No doubt

You're mentally slow
His low self esteem couple with slave mentality is glaring .
Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jan 12, 2020
poseidon12:

Leave the Europeans alone and focus on Nigeria. It is also getting worse here in Nigeria. Right now you have a President that has armed his ethnic Fulani militants from outside Nigeria to come in and take over the country. There is increased insecurity because of FG sponsored violence. And Nigerians are being discriminated against in their own country because of tribalism.

There is a rise in White nationalism because of the influx of foreigners from Africa and the Arab region. This is understandable. The people see it as an invasion. The flow of migrants to Europe should be reduced.

That was my point, the degradation of Nigeria and Africa is leading to populism, but all I see are Nigerians trying to escape to Europe.

So there's a disillusionment.

I agree Nigeria needs to be fixed because we have no other home and that was the point all along

Personally I'd still feel safer in Nigeria because when Europe unleashes terror no one will be safe.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by Enemyofpeace: 11:00pm On Jan 12, 2020
Nigerians please don't try this at home or anywhere at all

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by osazsky(m): 11:02pm On Jan 12, 2020
RealGOAT:
How some people reasons baffles me. That you are making it here due to some opportunity that came your way through family or friends is not always the same with every other person.
Better for him because he might have been dead by now if he had decided to return home or still struggling for ends meet.
not everyone abroad also make it,I have seen a friend that spent 16 years abroad and when he finally came back all he could boast of was a piece of land,I know what I have achieved in just 2 years in this same Nigeria,,,,there are beggars in London there are beggars in Nigeria but d bottomline is dont chose to be a beggar in another man's land

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by GoldHorse(m): 11:10pm On Jan 12, 2020
tommykiwi:
The most important thing, he got what he wanted at the long run.

Yeah! That's the moral of the story. He got what he wanted...

...but I honestly wouldn't have done it even if the buses were in heaven.... grin grin grin. 21 years?!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by nelsonoba: 11:59pm On Jan 12, 2020
alfasexy:
This is why I hate church people. They will do everything and even spend to keep you in your misery while praising themselves that they are doing good.

Ok......stay with satan people and love them. I hear ritualist people are usually more helping

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by Lukebryan2sure: 12:21am On Jan 13, 2020
itsme01:
many able Nigerian wasting away in Diaspora

I swear,those that would had empowered change
Wasting away just like that

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asylum Seeker ‘Spent 21 Years Sleeping On London Buses’ by MondayOsunbor(m): 12:24am On Jan 13, 2020
afroniger:

As in eh? Talk about 21-yrs wasted, on top wetin??

youths of nigeria is more honorable to die on your feet than on your knees .nigeria belongs to us . we should come together and solve our problem.

kick out these fuxcking Nigeria politicians

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Isreal Orders Africans To Leave Or Face Imprisonment / African Migrants Hiding Inside Dashboard And Engine / Yellow Fever Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.