Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,224 members, 7,822,148 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:20 AM

Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? (53837 Views)

An American Woman Flies To Nigeria For Her First Meeting With Online Boyfriend / I Just Gave Birth To An American Baby!!! Please Rejoice With Me Guys!!! / My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by frozen70(f): 6:58am On Jan 14, 2020
CaptMarvel:
I'm just curious to know.
I would like to be more enlightened on this.

If my brother, I meant my own blood brother becomes an American citizen, I as a Nigerian, what do I stand to gain from it?

Will it increase my chances of traveling to America, will I have better chances to gain from institutions there, or and what other benefits do I stand to gain.

Well depending on his status and financial strengths, he has the previlage to stand as a sponsor for you if you are planning to school there

But must of the benefits goes to his wife and children
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by internationalman(m): 7:27am On Jan 14, 2020
Beautyaddy:

Not true.

There are fathers that will petition immigrants visas for their children...responsible fathers though.
I don't know anything about fatherly love as I have not experienced it before...

So I can only vouch for my mother.

1 Like

Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by internationalman(m): 7:29am On Jan 14, 2020
Beautyaddy:

oh really? very unfortunate this is happening to you.

what's the delay if you care to share?

Your mother should be able to petition an immigrants visa through the family sponsor visa for you.

She has already petitioned for me but I think the delay is because of trump administration..

Plus she made a mistake of using my real age instead of using underage..
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by ashantitope: 7:36am On Jan 14, 2020
See it really means you hustle hard if you depends on your brother been citizen you will wait tire but just have it in mind that God is in your household so the table will soon turn to to ur side
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by internationalman(m): 7:37am On Jan 14, 2020
karika2018:

Since your mum has a good job......once she wants you over there..the deal is done....except she does not have a good job...or married to a man that does not want her children over there......

with a brother that is a citizen......you can come over legally but the filling last 10yrs.....otherwise he can still invite you over or get admission for you....you may still succeed in going over but not that easy

She has a good job and she's not married to any man..

In my case I was told that it takes a maximum of 6 to 7 years for then to call.. It's almost in the 5th year now since the petition..
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by Nobody: 8:09am On Jan 14, 2020
modernWays:
He can file immigrant visa for you, though takes many years to materialize.

This kinda of answer is searching for.

Op ask a simple question you all are diverting. He should go hustle, his brother might not help etc. I don't know if all these statements is as a result of jealousy.

1 Like

Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by KaptainAfrika: 8:12am On Jan 14, 2020
Well, if he's willing to host you, you wont have to worry about accommodation. Apart from that, you would always have to show you have stronger ties to Nigeria than the US.
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by Oluwahelpme(m): 8:12am On Jan 14, 2020
Nairaland is full of dull people. Sometimes I wonder why am I member of this forum. Imagine the kind of comments people put here.

Yes, to the OP. Ur chances are high.

He can sponsor ur education and provide an accommodation.

He will be feeding u with information that will make it easier for u to travel to U.S

Alas, he will be sending u dollar, if he is willing and he is successful over there.

So, u have higher chances. Don't mind those rubbish some people post here.

Just keep praying for ur brother, and work hard on ur own too.

Be prayerful and ask for God's grace.

prayerful and ask for God grace

2 Likes

Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by deor03(m): 9:04am On Jan 14, 2020
CaptMarvel:
I'm just curious to know.
I would like to be more enlightened on this.

If my brother, I meant my own blood brother becomes an American citizen, I as a Nigerian, what do I stand to gain from it?

Will it increase my chances of traveling to America, will I have better chances to gain from institutions there, or and what other benefits do I stand to gain.

There are benefits. Read about it on government website below:

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/bringing-siblings-live-united-states-permanent-residents
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by chydon22: 9:05am On Jan 14, 2020
otipoju:

Your brother can actually file for a green card for you. But once he does it will take time as long as 5 years or more on the queue and during that time it will be hard for you to get a visit visa since you have already declared your intention to migrate.

So it is more advisable for him to invite you then when you come visiting, he can then file to adjust your status. That way you can get a work permit to work and also get advanced parole if you want to travel out of USA before you green card is approved.

U must be novice. File green card as what?
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by Contumely: 9:10am On Jan 14, 2020
WeRblessed:

My brother, that someone is in America doesn't mean that they have made it in life. It doesn't mean that they are successful. Most are struggling to pay Bill's and put food on the table. Most owe credit cards, mortgages and plenty of insurances. Plus Uncle Sam (taxes) will not smile with you when it comes to that regard. If you make $500 a week, depending on your tax deductables you might end up receiving $380 a week. Most of these guys you mentioned dont pay taxes. In America, if you make like $500,000.00 in a year, you might end up paying over $165,000.00 in taxes, but in Nigeria you'll pocket all the money. Most people in Nigeria are better than some Africans in America.

What are you saying?

We pay more of indirect tax in Nigeria. Example: Our calls and data are very expensive, we pay heavily due to communication tax

The tax you assume is pocketed is still spent on running gens, repairing cars due to bad roads, paying school fees for high school kids, paying for police investigations , extortions in Nigeria.

Do you know how much you will pay police if you get kidnapped in Nigeria?

Can you make a statement without paying in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by DexterousOne(m): 9:17am On Jan 14, 2020
WeRblessed:

My brother, that someone is in America doesn't mean that they have made it in life. It doesn't mean that they are successful. Most are struggling to pay Bill's and put food on the table. Most owe credit cards, mortgages and plenty of insurances. Plus Uncle Sam (taxes) will not smile with you when it comes to that regard. If you make $500 a week, depending on your tax deductables you might end up receiving $380 a week. Most of these guys you mentioned dont pay taxes. In America, if you make like $500,000.00 in a year, you might end up paying over $165,000.00 in taxes, but in Nigeria you'll pocket all the money. Most people in Nigeria are better than some Africans in America.

When I read comments like these

I always laugh cheesy

1 Like

Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by gbaby4live: 9:25am On Jan 14, 2020
I don’t know much about immigration but I’m 100% sure your brother can sponsor you since he’s a US Citizen

Abeg go Uscis.gov and read for yourself.

Some people commenting here tho.

Some of them never reach US embassy for 9ja, not to talk of Usa �� and they are here forming immigration lawyer. SMH

Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by Elxandre(m): 9:27am On Jan 14, 2020
Benwallt:
Brother, nothing I mean nothing. Our people are terrible. I have a brother In UK going to 20yrs now. The thing is me, my brother and his wife to be applied n d were of were rejected, you believe, he appeal on his wife to be behalf n she was given visa to UK. We that are of the same blood, he left us to rot.
You should know it's easier to apply for his wife na.
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by Lizme21(f): 9:35am On Jan 14, 2020
It actually takes 12 to 13years when a brother or sister files for someone.. So your sibling(by blood) can file i_ 130 form for you.. Thats f4 category in the visa processing.. You ll have to wait till your priority date(which is the date he filed for you becomes current), which is 12 to 13years from the date... And during those periods, you may not be allowed entrance into America...

otipoju:

Your brother can actually file for a green card for you. But once he does it will take time as long as 5 years or more on the queue and during that time it will be hard for you to get a visit visa since you have already declared your intention to migrate.

So it is more advisable for him to invite you then when you come visiting, he can then file to adjust your status. That way you can get a work permit to work and also get advanced parole if you want to travel out of USA before you green card is approved.
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by otipoju(m): 9:38am On Jan 14, 2020
chydon22:

U must be novice. File green card as what?

Please go and sit down somewhere. I dont talk to dullards. Even if you have not gone through the process of getting a green card, at least you can google and read about it. Lazy person.

Siblings are entitled to file. The process takes many many years even up to ten as they are the least priority. Let me help you from offical us government website.

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/bringing-siblings-live-united-states-permanent-residents
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by otipoju(m): 9:43am On Jan 14, 2020
Lizme21:
It actually takes 12 to 13years when a brother or sister files for someone.. So your sibling(by blood) can file i_ 130 form for you.. Thats f4 category in the visa processing.. You ll have to wait till your priority date(which is the date he filed for you becomes current), which is 12 to 13years from the date... And during those periods, you may not be allowed entrance into America...

Read the second paragraph. That is the street sense. Tourist, Adjust, Work Permit with Advance Parole, then Green card.
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by ADUNOKIKI(f): 9:43am On Jan 14, 2020
Well it depends on your brother.
Two options:

Visiting by his invitation
It can be to your favor or against you.
His financial strength and how he became a citizen is a factor too.

Filing for your green card and that might take years and also DNA testing, evidence you are related by blood.
Like i said might take 1-10 years.
But its better you make it on your own.
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by Lizme21(f): 9:47am On Jan 14, 2020
You are right.. Those are the fastest routes than waiting for so long...
otipoju:

Read the second paragraph. That is the street sense. Tourist, Adjust, Work Permit with Advance Parole, then Green card.
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by femilicous: 10:03am On Jan 14, 2020
internationalman:

I guess it's only a mother one can truly depend on in this life after God

There's an article on Nairaland some weeks back, a young Mexican serving in the US army was crying that his mother got deported
back to Mexico simply because she is an immigrant, with all his connection to bring his mum over the border is futile.
So the Yoruba adage mentioned in this discussion is the best answer to your question.

1 Like

Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by SteveUg(m): 11:02am On Jan 14, 2020
busomma:
If u're 21 yrs of age & unmarried, ur brother can file for green card for u . But it takes at least 10yrs to get approval. It takes only 1 yr or less for spouse, parents & biological children of a United states citizen. Am telling u this out of experience. Good luck.
So if someone's is above 21years d bro or father can't find for PR for him?
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by SeriouslySense(m): 11:04am On Jan 14, 2020
Why is it important that you gain because your brother is in America, why is the benefit important to you, what is more, important is love not benefit

1 Like

Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by oghenetega100(f): 11:05am On Jan 14, 2020
He can file for immigrant visa for you under the f4 category, then they put you on a waiting list for minimum 15 years, if you are patient enough, you can start the process immediately, so the years can start counting.
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by IamCookie(f): 11:19am On Jan 14, 2020
sakssey23:

I guess you are a living witness, Abi? Meaning you are a LIVE example...

I have had and seen quite a number of experiences...human being are so complex!
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by IamCookie(f): 11:21am On Jan 14, 2020
Tunbolity:
Ajumobi ko "kan" not "ko"

Thank you for the correction sir. Not that good in Yoruba Language but trying...#smiles
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by IamCookie(f): 11:24am On Jan 14, 2020
dancok:
no mind him, he stand to gain 4 pairs of jeans,na so those Americana they help.

Yea, he is too confident that once he gets someone that close in the USA , then his life has changed completely and all the good things over there will come his way. And I need to propel his consciousness to ,'what if'
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by IamCookie(f): 11:39am On Jan 14, 2020
sofiscatedmoron:

this means yorubas don't help themselves,
in igbo we say " person wey em brother go heaven no dey go hellfire" (in ibo language tho)

That is not what I mean sir. There are many Yoruba's that assist each other and those that decide not to assist. The Igbo saying you quoted, was basically to disentangle cause and effect..to deliberately remind individuals that there are more to cordiality and family ,which is good but it's not a guarantee that he/she will assist. I have a female friend(from Abia-Ngwa side) whose elder brother had been in Norway(an European citizen) for about 17 years and the siblings have been looking up to him with nothing substantial forthcoming. The lady is surviving on her own with her fashion designer knowledge acquired. She couldn't go to any tertiary institution cos she was advised by the brother to go and learn tailoring. They are just three(himself and two sisters oOo) .Dad and mum has passed away.
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by IamCookie(f): 11:45am On Jan 14, 2020
chigoizie7:

Hmmm, most people do not know what it feels like to be abroad.

Some people think that being there is easy.

Just because he changed $100 and sent to you, you think he has it all?

To be sincere, that $100 could be a lot to you down in naija. But it is nothing to him that is there. It can’t even pay his rent for a month, water, gas,electricity bills for a month.

You think it is easy for them? Surviving on their own is a big deal talk more of bringing a second party.

My brother. In as much as we rise by lifting others, but never have it at the back of your mind that anyone owes you anything. Nobody owes you shi shi.

If person dash you money, accept, if they do not, do not hold it against them, because they do not have two heads.

If person help you, be grateful, if person no come help you, nwanne move on, they do not owe you any help.

You see this mentality of entitlement? That is what is killing us in naija. This person should help me, but he is not, he is wicked. Lie lie, they are not wicked.

If they tell you what they pass through.

Shebi if you go city go hustle and ee no go well, you go see who you go borrow transport take enter villa come begin farm. You see them abroad? If ginger catch them, it is either they turn to street begger or they starve, no one send them there, this is not a case of I no wan stay again, make I go back to village, nwanne who wan give an money for ticket?

All I am saying is that, na patch patch all of us de do. Forget say when they wan visit, them go come fresh up, yes, the weather is good. They buy few new clothes. You see some of these faded color clothes, we de rock am, but you do not expect us to snap pics with them and post on social media.

Ee fit be say, ee no easy for your brother. No reason am.

Some are scared that once they bring you, you go begin mess up, if you get police case, na their head ee go land, if him talk say make him bone you and your case, people at home will call him evil.

There are so many reasons, why some won’t bring you there.

Find something and do for yourself,

You can also apply for visa for various countries, the same way that your brother did that time. Na the same head wey him carry na Im you too carry.

Quite Easily Said. We should learn to look at things from another side. It well help us to calculate faster and find our way to prosperity without been expectant.
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by IamCookie(f): 11:57am On Jan 14, 2020
post=85770379:
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!

Run your own race in life!
Nobody owes you anything.

All these self entitlement rubbish will do you no good at the end of the day, it will only make you lazy by shouting everywhere, "my broda dey 'for the' abroad, my broda na citizen"!

He will only help you if God place it on his mind to do,
Help comes only from above!

Common, Go Hustle and make a life for yourself!!

Exactly my point. Thank you

Clement01234 ; Mrkarlz ; Angelawhite and trex4 :

Is this explanation or response out of point too ?

I decided not to respond to your mention , so that I don't sound insulting like you did.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jan 14, 2020
IamCookie:

Yea, he is too confident that once he gets someone that close in the USA , then his life has changed completely and all the good things over there will come his way. And I need to propel his consciousness to ,'what if'
reality never jam him.

1 Like

Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by seunduro(m): 2:07pm On Jan 14, 2020
IamCookie:

You are even a lucky. You knew there are efforts to assist you get over there ,just hasn't pull through yet. There are some people(same mother same father oOo) that will only be posting you and telling you to stay over and that just remain hopeful and actually ,the person isn't doing anything about it.
GOD bless u

1 Like

Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by Kennodili(m): 2:33pm On Jan 14, 2020
Your brother that is a US citizen can file papers for you to immigrate to the United State. But you have to wait 9 good years.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Mistaken Of Identification / Aftermath Of Explosion In Ibadan (Photos) / These Are The Three Best Seats On An Airplane

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.