Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,620 members, 7,809,280 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:13 AM

Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? (53747 Views)

An American Woman Flies To Nigeria For Her First Meeting With Online Boyfriend / I Just Gave Birth To An American Baby!!! Please Rejoice With Me Guys!!! / My Dad Is An American Citizen,does That Make Me One? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by doggedfighter(f): 9:35pm On Jan 13, 2020
Dididrumz:

We all know helping is not by force.

But is that what the op asked?
Totally unrelated answer grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by henryobinna(m): 9:35pm On Jan 13, 2020
internationalman:

I guess it's only a mother one can truly depend on in this life after God
what about father?

So you can't depend on your father...

It's shameful to see that most people these days do not recognize their fathers and efforts they put.

All they know and remember is their mothers, too bad for the fathers of this generation.
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by SteveUg(m): 9:37pm On Jan 13, 2020
Righteousness89:

I know about that ... but it takes a whole lot..

I almost did that but I had to back out
Sorry to ask o , for a father to bring he's 3 children above 21years of age , how much should he be looking at ... I'm just asking because of this statement but it takes a whole lot
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by fakoo1: 9:40pm On Jan 13, 2020
Righteousness89:

Your bro can file for you if he has genuine reason of bringing you to US

The GOSPEL TRUTH IS THAT YOU HAVE NO BENEFIT Except from the Fact that you have someone who can send you An IV Letter to go to the US Embassy..
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by Mancala: 9:41pm On Jan 13, 2020
uchewiz:

Well the wife is already in us

I was responding to this statement, as to why approvals for immediate relatives takes much less time.

"Its a lie ....I know someone that filed for his wife , it was approved within a month because he's in military"

The OP needs to be strategic about this if he wants to immigrate. He should ask his brother to file for him immediately. If the law changes and makes it even harder/longer, the new law will likely not be made retroactive to those already in the queue. However, if new laws make it easier, it will most likely be retroactive. This is based on precedence.
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by franchasng: 9:46pm On Jan 13, 2020
If you are a brother or sister or friend reading this post and you are in a better position to assist your brother or sister or friend become someone better and you fail to do it, you are a disgrace to humankind, in fact you are a pauper in mind, and don't ever think you are successful because you are broke! You are inhumane and you will regret it sooner or later, because I have seen people regret not helping people when they had the opportunity. Even Goodluck Jonathan is regretting not turning Igbo land around haven witnessed how much Igbos loved him after he was voted out as President, don't be like Jonathan, help your brothers, help your sisters, help your friends if you are privileged to. Remember time waits for nobody and wealth and success are like a visitor, they come and go no matter who you are it will never stay forever, the number of people you help become somebody is how rich you are.

Before you come for my head, my brothers are far better off than me financially so I don't need to help them but I am helping my other relatives; cousins, etc in my own little capacity and wishing to do more and for my close friends, I have helped many travel out of Nigeria as they desire to have better life, I have helped friends secure good jobs when I had the privilege of doing that in the past, I have also helped friends establish successful business that has put them on success list, and I am definitely going to help many people from my community become better as God help my financial life grow better with time.

I also desire to adopt so many poor children as my kids if things work as planned.

That is one thing I cherish about Linda Ikeji, she is a wonderful child, she single handedly lifted every member of her family out of poverty to financial freedom, something many siblings in Nigeria will never do.

May God continue to bless you Linda Ikeji, I love you for your kindness to others.

E-money is another wonderful child that has helped transform the lives of his family members.

I won't also forget Aliko Dangote, without him, Rabiu and co will be nobody today, may God bless them all that see it worthy to help their family and friends become better

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by hammed71(m): 9:48pm On Jan 13, 2020
OP I will advice you to process your visa yourself
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by kennyfem(m): 9:53pm On Jan 13, 2020
Yes it will increase your chances, he can file for you to obtain your PR, but that will take so many years just focus on your career while you wait for the PR in future.
CaptMarvel:
I'm just curious to know.
I would like to be more enlightened on this.

If my brother, I meant my own blood brother becomes an American citizen, I as a Nigerian, what do I stand to gain from it?

Will it increase my chances of traveling to America, will I have better chances to gain from institutions there, or and what other benefits do I stand to gain.
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by Yankee101: 9:55pm On Jan 13, 2020
He can apply for residency for your parents who in turn can apply for residency for you after they become Americans (long process, though, the sooner you start the better before they change the laws)
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by vineyardfarms: 9:56pm On Jan 13, 2020
CaptMarvel:

If my brother, I meant my own blood brother becomes an American citizen, I as a Nigerian, what do I stand to gain from it?

Will it increase my chances of traveling to America, will I have better chances to gain from institutions there, or and what other benefits do I stand to gain.
YOUR BROTHER MAY FILE FOR YOU TO MIGRATE PROVIDED HE MEET CERTAIN REQUIREMENTS, 1. GAINFULLY EMPLOYED WITH UP TO DATE TAX CLEARANCE. 2. NO CRIMINAL RECORD 3. NOT A LIABILITY 4. NOT A DEAD BIT DAD. 5 DOES NOT LIVE OFF CREDIT CARDS. 6 OBEY THE LAWS
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by SFSNIPER(m): 9:59pm On Jan 13, 2020
CaptMarvel:

My brother is a US Marine oh since 2009, I still dey Nigeria.
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by Simplecity(m): 10:00pm On Jan 13, 2020
Op must be a very lazy somebody
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jan 13, 2020
Your citizen brother can file for green card visa for you but it usually takes up to 10 years before it gets approved.

Be rest assured you will be an American citizen once he files the papers and even if you're married by then, you'll migrate to the US with your wife and kids as permanent residents, no immigration wahala.
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by Zico5(m): 10:04pm On Jan 13, 2020
uchewiz:

Very difficult ....
My siblings and my dad went for interview. ..they still denied ..despite the fact that my bro is doing passing out parade in us army
U mean even if u were listed as relatives initially in their system. I don't understand this cos we were told it's sure way in.
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by bigfrancis21: 10:04pm On Jan 13, 2020
CaptMarvel:

The only benefit is that he can sponsor your green card application to come to the US but the wait time is incredibly long - about 10 years until you get called to the US embassy in Nigeria for your immigrant interview. It would have been much faster for you (less than a year) had this US person been your parent, spouse or adult child over 18. Asides this, there's no legal benefit to having a US citizen brother.

Another route would be your brother to sponsor either of your parents on their green card, they come in in about a year or less from the filing date, get their green card and that permanent resident parent can, in turn, file for all of her/his unmarried children in Nigeria and in about a year all of then would immigrate to America, making it about 2 to 3 years in total and is a good option if the parent is willing to immigrate and live in the US. Normally, most old people prefer to live in Nigeria instead as they get older (that sense of community which old folks love is almost absent here).

Goodluck.

4 Likes

Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by Ten06(m): 10:07pm On Jan 13, 2020
The only brother I have in America has already run amok. America has climb his head
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by WeRblessed(f): 10:08pm On Jan 13, 2020
Do you mean to say "having a brother who is American citizen"?
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jan 13, 2020
SFSNIPER:

My brother is a US Marine oh since 2009, I still dey Nigeria.
He can get you a green card visa earlier than an average US citizen if he files immigration papers for you.

What's your bro's rank? Any idea?
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by bigfrancis21: 10:09pm On Jan 13, 2020
chigoizie7:

Hmmm, most people do not know what it feels like to be abroad.

Some people think that being there is easy.

Just because he changed $100 and sent to you, you think he has it all?

To be sincere, that $100 could be a lot to you down in naija. But it is nothing to him that is there. It can’t even pay his rent for a month, water, gas,electricity bills for a month.

You think it is easy for them? Surviving on their own is a big deal talk more of bringing a second party.

My brother. In as much as we rise by lifting others, but never have it at the back of your mind that anyone owes you anything. Nobody owes you shi shi.

If person dash you money, accept, if they do not, do not hold it against them, because they do not have two heads.

If person help you, be grateful, if person no come help you, nwanne move on, they do not owe you any help.

You see this mentality of entitlement? That is what is killing us in naija. This person should help me, but he is not, he is wicked. Lie lie, they are not wicked.

If they tell you what they pass through.

Shebi if you go city go hustle and ee no go well, you go see who you go borrow transport take enter villa come begin farm. You see them abroad? If ginger catch them, it is either they turn to street begger or they starve, no one send them there, this is not a case of I no wan stay again, make I go back to village, nwanne who wan give an money for ticket?

All I am saying is that, na patch patch all of us de do. Forget say when they wan visit, them go come fresh up, yes, the weather is good. They buy few new clothes. You see some of these faded color clothes, we de rock am, but you do not expect us to snap pics with them and post on social media.

Ee fit be say, ee no easy for your brother. No reason am.

Some are scared that once they bring you, you go begin mess up, if you get police case, na their head ee go land, if him talk say make him bone you and your case, people at home will call him evil.

There are so many reasons, why some won’t bring you there.

Find something and do for yourself,

You can also apply for visa for various countries, the same way that your brother did that time. Na the same head wey him carry na Im you too carry.

I totally appreciate you for this. You've spoken nothing but the truth in your words. Bringing someone abroad, especially a relative, is a huge task not only financially but all round. Also, our people are highly entitled and it gets too much at times.
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by Mrkarlz(m): 10:10pm On Jan 13, 2020
Isoduwa:

You don go come back?

Na me and you follow go nah
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by internationalman(m): 10:11pm On Jan 13, 2020
uchewiz:

Ask your mother to join military

Do you know how old she is
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by internationalman(m): 10:11pm On Jan 13, 2020
henryobinna:
what about father?

So you can't depend on your father...

It's shameful to see that most people these days do not recognize their fathers and efforts they put.

All they know and remember is their mothers, too bad for the fathers of this generation.

Well, I said mother only because I don't know what it feels like to have a father.

I don't even know my father
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by linearity: 10:11pm On Jan 13, 2020
CaptMarvel:

More likely to reduce your chances of getting any non-immigration or visitors visa; since you will be viewed more likely to stay behind and not return home.

On the bright side, he can file category f4 migration visa for you, the bad news is the wait time is currently about 12 years, but the truth is; if filed now, before you know it, the time will be here.
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by drakeli: 10:12pm On Jan 13, 2020
Righteousness89:

The GOSPEL TRUTH IS THAT YOU HAVE NO BENEFIT Except from the Fact that you have someone who can send you An IV Letter to go to the US Embassy..

That’s even a strong reason for visa denial. Most people don’t know that. Unless you are able to prove beyond doubt to the consular that you will return. It takes ten years for a person to file for their relation brother or sister. Unless the relationship is parental
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by linearity: 10:13pm On Jan 13, 2020
Fvckmoderators:

It doesn't have to reach 10 years.

I have cousins that migrated within 2 years despite having naked passport and no be say dem get money.

Your cousins didn’t get sibling visa; in fact 10 years use to be the previous wait time, it is now about 12 years.
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by akpan123(m): 10:15pm On Jan 13, 2020
Form 1-130

Form for siblings of US citizens. He can file

For u.
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by CaptMarvel(m): 10:17pm On Jan 13, 2020
biggy26:

He can actually file a petition for a sibling visa with USCIS, form i130 for you. But the disadvantage is that it takes about 10yrs to mature, after which you get a straight green card.
Okay thanks! I think this is just the major benefit!

1 Like

Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by drakeli: 10:18pm On Jan 13, 2020
akpan123:
Form 1-130

Form for siblings of US citizens. He can file

For u.
It takes ten years to process through unless it’s a parent filing for their child.
Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by WeRblessed(f): 10:18pm On Jan 13, 2020
franchasng:
If you are a brother or sister or friend reading this post and you are in a better position to assist your brother or sister or friend become someone better and you fail to do it, you are a disgrace to humankind, in fact you are a pauper in mind, and don't ever think you are successful because you are broke! You are inhumane and you will regret it sooner or later, because I have seen people regret not helping people when they had the opportunity. Even Goodluck Jonathan is regretting not turning Igbo land around haven witnessed how much Igbos loved him after he was voted out as President, don't be like Jonathan, help your brothers, help your sisters, help your friends if you are privileged to. Remember time waits for nobody and wealth and success are like a visitor, they come and go no matter who you are it will never stay forever, the number of people you help become somebody is how rich you are.

Before you come for my head, my brothers are far better off than me financially so I don't need to help them but I am helping my other relatives; cousins, etc in my own little capacity and wishing to do more and for my close friends, I have helped many travel out of Nigeria as they desire to have better life, I have helped friends secure good jobs when I had the privilege of doing that in the past, I have also helped friends establish successful business that has put them on success list, and I am definitely going to help many people from my community become better as God help my financial life grow better with time.

I also desire to adopt so many poor children as my kids if things work as planned.

That is one thing I cherish about Linda Ikeji, she is a wonderful child, she single handedly lifted every member of her family out of poverty to financial freedom, something many siblings in Nigeria will never do.

May God continue to bless you Linda Ikeji, I love you for your kindness to others.

E-money is another wonderful child that has helped transform the lives of his family members.

I won't also forget Aliko Dangote, without him, Rabiu and co will be nobody today, may God bless them all that see it worthy to help their family and friends become better

My brother, that someone is in America doesn't mean that they have made it in life. It doesn't mean that they are successful. Most are struggling to pay Bill's and put food on the table. Most owe credit cards, mortgages and plenty of insurances. Plus Uncle Sam (taxes) will not smile with you when it comes to that regard. If you make $500 a week, depending on your tax deductables you might end up receiving $380 a week. Most of these guys you mentioned dont pay taxes. In America, if you make like $500,000.00 in a year, you might end up paying over $165,000.00 in taxes, but in Nigeria you'll pocket all the money. Most people in Nigeria are better than some Africans in America.

3 Likes

Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by sofiscatedmoron: 10:20pm On Jan 13, 2020
IamCookie:
Yorubas' usually say , "ajumobi o ko ti aanu ,eniti oluwa ba ran sini ni seni laanu. This saying may be translated (roughly done)as , rendering assistance or helping a fellow brother or sister is not must (even if na same mother ,same father) , it is only those assigned by God to be of help to you that will make it happen)
this means yorubas don't help themselves,
in igbo we say " person wey em brother go heaven no dey go hellfire" (in ibo language tho)

1 Like

Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by abnot: 10:25pm On Jan 13, 2020
Well family differs thus I wouldn’t know the circumstances in your family. For me I was given the impression that my family was very united and I grew up believing that. By the time I turned 16 I began to notice how political family was far different from what I was made to believe. At 18 I was going to study in USA and in the same state my father’s brother (same father and mother ) resided. Prior to applying for F1 student visa I opted to go visit on B1/B2 with my uncle’s son ( cousin) inviting me . When the visa was approved my uncle was angry complaining to my dad that I was coming at a time his son was going be busy with work . His son who invited me never mentioned that and offered me all necessary support . Wondered why the father was very hostile. Ended up spending only 4 days as opposed to the two week earlier planned. During my stay I saw messages my uncle and aunt sent to their son warning him that I could come and elope into the thin air on a tourist visa . Was very disappointed. Two years later I applied for F1 visa , got it approved and went to uni for 4 years in same state with my uncle + aunt . Never visited them for even thanksgiving. Spent all my holidays in Abuja (summer and Christmas holidays) . At the end of my studies I moved out of USA . 5 years after moving out a friend of mine got a green card and moved to New York . He hosted me barely one year later . Uncle has been there 30 years plus and in the upper middle class but never invited me . That’s the irony of life . Never expect anything from anyone

4 Likes

Re: Having A Brother As An American Citizen! What Are My Benefits? by Lonelypacifist6: 10:25pm On Jan 13, 2020
Both my brothers are American citizens Aside from the occasional why don't you relocate and some local news I hear, there's not much I gain from them
there's not a chance of me relocating because I don't feel at home among people of other race, it's just not my thing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Why US Is Mulling Visa Ban On Nigeria, By Diplomatic Sources / Mistaken Of Identification / Final Words Of Pilot Of Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane Revealed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.