Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,013 members, 7,817,986 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users (33999 Views)

Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy / An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers / "Itel S15 Pro: For Phone Users Who Take A Lot Of Selfies" (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by edoairways: 1:03pm On Jan 17, 2020
voltron14:

So if you are out of the country what do you do?
Contact your service provider to reserve it though it cost a fee

1 Like

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by Timileyin1234(m): 1:04pm On Jan 17, 2020
Sunisonflex39:
like the person operates a factory with federal light
This is wonderful
Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by Benjaniblinks(m): 1:04pm On Jan 17, 2020
Offpoint:
That's how I bought airtel line last year from their office, registered the line and went home. Two days later, I decided to register whatsapp with the line, that evening that's how I received whatsapp message.

A guy threatening me, telling me I stole his one month old 2 weeks ago and I even have the guts to start using the phone with his sim.

He threatened me with God, Ogun, sango, Poseidon, Hades, Odin, Amadioha, police, army... dude literally threatened me with everything he could.

I tried convincing him it's a new sim I just bought and was even surprised receiving his message cuz I've not given that number out yet.

The guy wasn't listening, after threats he was even begging I returned his phone cuz he saved for over a year to get that phone and he only used it for 2 weeks.

It wasn't until I showed him the sim card with the number on it before he believed me.

I was so pissed I call Airtel Care Deck and served them their own portion of what the guy served me... still not satisfied: I headed straight to their office and served them deserts.

Imagine if I was caught with such line in public, how will I convinced them that I didn't steal the guy's phone?

Re-assigning SIM is really dangerous.

My man..... You later buy the INEC power bank?
Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by luluosas(m): 1:05pm On Jan 17, 2020
But, are you Fredinard?
PurestBoy:
I keep receiving this when I never lived in Lagos nor own a PHCN meter. What do I do?

1 Like

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by voltron14: 1:06pm On Jan 17, 2020
edoairways:

Contact your service provider to reserve it though it cost a fee

Didnt know such services existed.
Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by Kingosytex(m): 1:06pm On Jan 17, 2020
recievesense:
It means if you buy new sim card go DSS go register am oh!

Recievesense shebi you don come again?

1 Like

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by JAWBONE(m): 1:06pm On Jan 17, 2020
I swear this is a problem. Bought a new SIM and strange people started calling me. The name on the SIM i saw thru TrueCaller was so strange
Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by edoairways: 1:06pm On Jan 17, 2020
Dobson43:

That's easy to say. A guy was arrested by the DSS on account of using a recycled sim. It is now a lawsuit in damages amounting to #500m.

Once your sim is recycled that is the end. I remember going to retrieve my old line only to be told that it has been recycled because it was inactive. DSS arrested that dude because power pass power

2 Likes

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by Bigii(m): 1:06pm On Jan 17, 2020
That's how glo re-sale one Oba number to me. I received call sotay! i got tired and drop the SIM till date. "your majesty" wan tear my ear ah! grin grin

10 Likes

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by Oluwasaeon(m): 1:07pm On Jan 17, 2020
Bigii:
That's how glo re-sale one Oba number to me. I received call sotay! i got tired and drop the SIM till date. "your majesty" wan tear my ear ah! grin grin
Your own oba na baba
Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by Preciousojoka(m): 1:11pm On Jan 17, 2020
Honestly, something needs to be done about SIM recycling. Can't just imagine after some years someone else uses a dumped phone number. Like we know a lot of people don't delete old contacts.
Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by Bigii(m): 1:12pm On Jan 17, 2020
Oluwasaeon:

Your own oba na baba

Omo yoruba wan kee me with language grin grin grin
Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by Sunisonflex39(m): 1:12pm On Jan 17, 2020
Timileyin1234:

This is wonderful
if it's a residential duplex, if I was the person I would go and get solar instead of throwing out half a million Maura every month to nepa

1 Like

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by Reference(m): 1:16pm On Jan 17, 2020
Some of the problems of a run away population size.... insufficient phone numbers. I think the policy needs to be reviewed to lengthen the redundancy period.

Two years for inactive lines and five years to recycle the numbers. In the meantime NCC should permit new number sets, afterall it is unlikely new GSM licenses will be issued any decade soon and GSM penetration has peaked.

But for heavens sake why should the average Joe be getting a new line two decades after the launch of the GSM network. Nigerians are dodgy characters. My newest line: 9mobile Tab will be 12 years old and that is for data only. How can one just be getting a voice line if he wasn't a child in 2000.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by steppin: 1:16pm On Jan 17, 2020
Sunisonflex39:
if it's a residential duplex, if I was the person I would go and get solar instead of throwing out half a million Maura every month to nepa
That's the arrears, not monthly charges.

1 Like

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by edoairways: 1:17pm On Jan 17, 2020
voltron14:

Didnt know such services existed.
It exist infact MTN does it for a token of N500 per year

1 Like

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by Chatbot1234: 1:19pm On Jan 17, 2020
PurestBoy:
I keep receiving this when I never lived in Lagos nor own a PHCN meter. What do I do?

this is huge
Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by kharyhordhe(m): 1:20pm On Jan 17, 2020

1 Like

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by NigPatriot(m): 1:22pm On Jan 17, 2020
Offpoint:
That's how I bought airtel line last year from their office, registered the line and went home. Two days later, I decided to register whatsapp with the line, that evening that's how I received whatsapp message.

A guy threatening me, telling me I stole his one month old 2 weeks ago and I even have the guts to start using the phone with his sim.

He threatened me with God, Ogun, sango, Poseidon, Hades, Odin, Amadioha, police, army... dude literally threatened me with everything he could.

I tried convincing him it's a new sim I just bought and was even surprised receiving his message cuz I've not given that number out yet.

The guy wasn't listening, after threats he was even begging I returned his phone cuz he saved for over a year to get that phone and he only used it for 2 weeks.

It wasn't until I showed him the sim card with the number on it before he believed me.

I was so pissed I call Airtel Care Deck and served them their own portion of what the guy served me... still not satisfied: I headed straight to their office and served them deserts.

Imagine if I was caught with such line in public, how will I convinced them that I didn't steal the guy's phone?

I laughed out loud after reading this.
You're a good writer
Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by Sidneyjack: 1:27pm On Jan 17, 2020
godwingenesis472:

I've observed that this issue is mostly with etisalat,as I had also had some issue as well.and this 1 is serious o,it's a bvn something...
Not only etisalat but all the telecom lines. I had the same experience, that was 2011 when mtn introduced magic number. I bought a new sim in my town registered it and used it as a magic line to call my girlfriend and that time I was serving in Jo's plateau state. After two days of using the sim, I got a text message from some one telling me "oh so you finally on this phone, that things will not be better for me" I was shocked after reading and I had to call the person back and told him that please he should retract that course, that I am innocent of what he is accusing me of. I told him I just bought the line this week and registered. He said the line was used to commit a crime in Lagos, that he has been trying the number since . After my explanation he begged me that I should not be annoyed and we understand ourselves. What if he a police trailing on me for arrest of a crime I know nothing about

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by poshestmina(f): 1:33pm On Jan 17, 2020
A friend bought a new Mtn sim some years and starting receiving calls from different strange numbers begging or threatening her to provide their brother ,that they haven't seen or heard from their brother for 3 years now.

That if she's the one keeping their brother away from them ,they will kill her ,blah ,blah , blah.

She explained tire ,no way ,she was receiving about 20 or more strange calls everyday.
She woke up one day and broke the Sim.

Most of my old numbers are still connecting .

This service providers should do something about it before we pay for Crimes we know nothing about.
It's not even funny.

2 Likes

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by lilybonny(f): 1:34pm On Jan 17, 2020
This trash has to stop biko, thank God I didn't bother trying to reprieve my old Airtel line ,i am sure the line now has a new owner.
Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by airminem(f): 1:34pm On Jan 17, 2020
sad I just thought about this and decided to check on my lost old(10+) numbers.
Funniest thing i could imagine, they are all presently inuse by other users. grin
Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by Jabioro: 1:35pm On Jan 17, 2020
My elderly brother SIM was swapped to another subscriber.. unfortunately for him the SIM was tie to BVN..A friend is on 08034 he received daily company bank alert..and this Sim he bought new for more than ten years.. lapses every where..

1 Like

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by GindoX(m): 1:35pm On Jan 17, 2020
sod09:
One girl called me saying I have forgotten her after having sex with her, I told her wrong number that I just got the sim she said she recognised my voice.
Funny thing is she knew my name, it's was video call that made her believe me

Ero raa jooo. Iro lo npa grin o ni ro oshii

3 Likes

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by maasoap(m): 1:35pm On Jan 17, 2020
Reference:
Some of the problems of a run away population size.... insufficient phone numbers. I think the policy needs to be reviewed to lengthen the redundancy period.

Two years for inactive lines and five years to recycle the numbers. In the meantime NCC should permit new number sets, afterall it is unlikely new GSM licenses will be issued any decade soon and GSM penetration has peaked.

But for heavens sake why should the average Joe be getting a new line two decades after the launch of the GSM network. Nigerians are dodgy characters. My newest line: 9mobile Tab will be 12 years old and that is for data only. How can one just be getting a voice line if he wasn't a child in 2000.

Don't blame Nigerians, blame NCC and gsm operators for high cost of data and voice calls. They made it so cheap on the new lines that you would be tempted to buy new lines every now and then, and throw it away (destroy) every now and then but still keeping your popular old line.

1 Like

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by HallaDaTruth: 1:37pm On Jan 17, 2020
People should stop buying SIMs with old numbers, period
Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by godwingenesis472(m): 1:38pm On Jan 17, 2020
kharyhordhe:
dnt stay broke check my signature

I'm not presently active on whatsapp...

What's it about?
Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by dominique(f): 1:40pm On Jan 17, 2020
Offpoint:

I don't believe this. Networks don't reassign numbers within a month of lack of activity on it. They block the line after six months, and may not recycle the line till a year later

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users by emmanuelsea(m): 1:40pm On Jan 17, 2020
I remember my beloved erstwhile etisalat sim that was linked to my first ever bank account (Ecobank). When d sim was inactive for a while after my phone got spoilt, I couldn't find it for a very long time. When I eventually found it, I realised that the sim was inactive. Every attempt to retrieve it proved abortive. One day, I decided to call my beloved number, behold one aboki picked up the call and was speaking one language that I didn't understand. Then I called customer care, only to be informed that my sim (that I bought with my own money) has been recycled.

On another occasion, I bought a particular sim, only to start receiving someone's first bank alert. Thank God for helping me, if not I would have finish the account.

Something need to be done to stop all this embarrassment

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Any Experiencing Glo Bad Network??? / TECNO Unveils Spark 9 Pro Sport Edition, Designed By Bmw's Designworks / If Whatsapp Messages Are Encrypted End To End, How Then Do They Leak?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.