Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,711 members, 7,809,695 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:24 PM

Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy (37701 Views)

Data Of 1.5 Billion Facebook Users On Sale At Hacker Forum / SIM Recycling Rings Danger For Phone Users / "Itel S15 Pro: For Phone Users Who Take A Lot Of Selfies" (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by Shehuyinka: 3:46pm On Apr 25, 2020
COVID-19: Controversy trails Ministers’ decision to mine data of phone users without consent

Only NSA can access registered SIM card data - NCC

THERE are growing concerns over the decision of the Muhammadu Buhari government to mine Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) data of phone users in the country.

Isa Pantami, the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy disclosed government’s plan to mine phone data in a viral video circulating across the social media platforms, in which he said that the poorest of the poor in the country were identified and offered supports through the SIM registration data mined by the ministry.

The Minister revealed this in a video interview with an unidentified person. The statement also aligns with the recent pronouncement by Sadiya Umar-Farouq, the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management, who said beneficiaries of the social intervention scheme would be sourced through SIM records of phone users and the Biometric Verification Numbers (BVN).

Pantami had earlier explained in the footage that the SIM registration exercise and call card loading history would enable the ministry to identify the poverty level of those who should urgently benefit from the current social intervention programme.

These measures, he noted, would help the Federal Government reach out to the most vulnerable households and members of the community.

“We have supported our country in the area of social intervention…one of the ways we came up with this is using our SIM/ telecom registration where citizens have a database for registration. Through SIM registration of their mobile phones and SIM cards, we partake in data mining in order to identify their poverty level,” Pantami stated in the video.

“Through data mining, we have been discovering those that need urgent intervention in terms of feeding and other basic necessities of life.”

The minister further acknowledged the release of huge sums as a palliative by the federal government to the poor.

“We discover that with this new policy on lockdown in some states and restriction of movements, many people among our citizens find it difficult to get what to eat, so this government budgeted a huge amount of money in order to support them with whatever they need,” Pantami stated.

However, lawyers have contested the approach of accessing the biometric data, describing it as an invasion of privacy

Usually, phone subscribers in Nigeria are required by law to register their sim cards. During the registration process, they have to provide information such as name, occupation and home address including their biometrics, that is fingerprints and digital images.

These data, according to a report on a public enquiry on the SIM registration regulation, released in December 2010, however, restrict telecom operators from retaining biometric information of subscribers.

Except for the telecom operators internal use, the National Communications Commission (NCC) Registration of Telephone Subscribers Regulation (2011) recognises section 37 of the nation’s constitution which safeguards citizens’ privacy.

https://www.icirnigeria.org/covid-19-controversy-trails-ministers-decision-to-mine-data-of-phone-users-without-consent/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by Bilabong(m): 4:03pm On Apr 25, 2020

“Through data mining, we have been discovering those that need urgent intervention in terms of feeding and other basic necessities of life.”

The minister further acknowledged the release of huge sums as a palliative by the federal government to the poor.

I have four sims. I have not loaded any card on three since this lockdown, but still I haven't received a text that I should come and get any palliative... Una dey fool Una self.

146 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by henry4991(m): 4:04pm On Apr 25, 2020
Ok
Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by Brendaniel: 4:04pm On Apr 25, 2020
funny, so that is how to know people who have not eaten in Nigeria, I have a glo sim I have not recharged in months, does that mean I am among those that have not eaten, NO! I see these guys as jokers, they should just be dressing with mickey mouse and barney costumes so we know that they are just trying to make governance a joke in Nigeria...

106 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by helinues: 4:04pm On Apr 25, 2020
Yeye people at the helm of affairs

15 Likes

Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by Slawormir: 4:04pm On Apr 25, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Absolute nonsense.
Apart from the invasion of privacy
To mine data of phone users to know the poorest nor go even work

Anyway na them Sabi
Make i continue my movies on Netflix
I don kill "extraction"

Make i find another movie kill
But Netflix greedy o
Person go download una app finish
Then subscribe

After that you go also need data to stream and download

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by babamadiba(m): 4:04pm On Apr 25, 2020
Am I the only one not understanding?

5 Likes

Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by gudnex22(m): 4:04pm On Apr 25, 2020
BUHARI and ALL his ministers including all his cabinet members are worst than Corona virus.

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by Zchi1052(m): 4:05pm On Apr 25, 2020
Everyday new orishi rishi go de pop out

Naija sef tire person Biko

2 Likes

Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by Naiira(m): 4:05pm On Apr 25, 2020
What kind of country is this sef!?

For best offers on SmartTV please follow @help9internationl on Instagram

4 Likes

Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by Kizyte(m): 4:05pm On Apr 25, 2020
This Buhari's administration has dealt with us, so tey, dem want start dey intrude into our privacy angry

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by wilemer: 4:05pm On Apr 25, 2020
Shehayinka:
THERE are growing concerns over the decision of the Muhammadu Buhari government to mine Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) data of phone users in the country.

Isa Pantami, the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy disclosed government’s plan to mine phone data in a viral video circulating across the social media platforms, in which he said that the poorest of the poor in the country were identified and offered supports through the SIM registration data mined by the ministry.

Invasion of privacy

7 Likes

Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by ayshegz: 4:05pm On Apr 25, 2020
Let's see how this goes ,I hope they won't this to enrich their already heavy pockets
Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by Kingpele(m): 4:05pm On Apr 25, 2020
cool
Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by witsel4(m): 4:05pm On Apr 25, 2020
Following

2 Likes

Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by Nobody: 4:05pm On Apr 25, 2020
Hmmm
Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by Nobody: 4:05pm On Apr 25, 2020
The time is right to move not just further in this part of the world, but also smarter and better.

Is Nigeria not closely following the rule pattern of United States again? Are they also distributing palliatives through hacking into people's privacy?

I read this news twice but still don't get it, does it mean they've finished distributing the money or they are just getting ready?

Hmmm, im hungry and an angry man can do and undo o. Hian

3 Likes

Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by domaboy1759: 4:05pm On Apr 25, 2020
Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by Inspectorsuga22(m): 4:05pm On Apr 25, 2020
Imagine this useless administration. So if I registered my sim years ago n lost my job afterwards, I will not benefit from the palliative because of my prior financial status? Why is it even difficult for this people to be useful to the masses for once in their miserable 5yrs+ in power?
God will punish all this our so called politicians n those supporting their evil agenda for the helpless masses.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by Staphylococcus: 4:05pm On Apr 25, 2020
Governments have been mining data from the days of Adam.

But no one government will accept.

Facebook and Google are big time culprits of this act but will still deny they dont even when you can glaringly see they do.

7 Likes

Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by IduNaOba: 4:06pm On Apr 25, 2020
Useless people.
After mining it they go now sell am or even hand am over to China or USA.
Who do us this thing naija?
Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by udoka55555: 4:06pm On Apr 25, 2020
The government has the IMei number of every smart phone user in the country...

They can track anybody at anytime

Its just corruption that is killing our Nigeria,

They don't give a shit about our privacy

2 Likes

Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by pat077: 4:06pm On Apr 25, 2020
The more this government tries to make sense the more stupid they appear.
How long will it take them to identify their imaginary poor and vulnerable? Is it when they die of hunger?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by abbaapple: 4:06pm On Apr 25, 2020
angry

I don’t know why I don’t just like this man! Using Religion and politics to deceive the gullible masses! I see him like another Cownu!
Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by collitexnaira(m): 4:06pm On Apr 25, 2020
All these rubbish just so you could cut down the number of those that will benefit from it

7 Likes

Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by Olami83: 4:06pm On Apr 25, 2020
Who is this dvmb fool

2 Likes

Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by rawtouch: 4:06pm On Apr 25, 2020
hahahaha, let no one be deceived he govt has access to everything you do on your phone even whatsapp is not secret

2 Likes

Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by knockturnal(m): 4:06pm On Apr 25, 2020
So what about me that has like 4 sims?
Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by zionmde: 4:06pm On Apr 25, 2020
palliative kill dem there
poorest of d poor kill dem there
foolishh people
After 1 month, they are still looking for how to select people to share money to.
Mining SIM kill all of them there

Ndi aka

5 Likes

Re: Pantami's Decision To Mine Data Of Phone Users Trailed By Controversy by StarUp: 4:06pm On Apr 25, 2020
They have finally started confessing. I guess it's not only phone numbers they mine. They also use our data...no wonder my data dey quick finish(I no know say one aboki dey help me share am after mining my number)... Eku ise, you have not finished mining our natural resources it's our numbers you want to mine...

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mtn Free Browsing. / Huawei Has Completed The World's First 5G Live Broadcast In The UK / 10 States, Face Telecoms Network Blackout — GSM Operators

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.