Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,047 members, 7,825,341 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

Gowon Speaks On Civil War, Says He Didn't Commit Any Crime - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gowon Speaks On Civil War, Says He Didn't Commit Any Crime (646 Views)

I Was Never Arrested In The UK, Nor Did I Commit Any Offence – Obi (Video) / "Dapo Abiodun Never Admitted To Committing Any Crime Anywhere" - OGSG / Osinbajo: Why West African Leaders Insist On Civil Rule In Mali (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gowon Speaks On Civil War, Says He Didn't Commit Any Crime by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:15am On Jan 20, 2020
Gowon speaks on civil war, says he didn't commit any crime
BAYO WAHAB Last Saturday at 9:39 AM

Gowon says he did not commit a crime by going to war because he did it for the love of unity of Nigeria.

Fifty years after the end of the civil war, a former Head of State, Gen Yakubu Gowon (retd.), who led the Nigerian side during the war said he didn’t commit any crime.

Gowon said this while speaking in a special interview he granted to the Hausa Service of the British Broadcasting Service on Wednesday, January 15, 2020, in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the end of the civil war.

He said the war was started by those who wanted Nigeria to divide, adding that he did not commit a crime by going to war because he did it for the love of unity of Nigeria.

He said, “I want to thank God that we ended the civil war on a peaceful note; like I said back then, there was no victor, no vanquished. I thank God for the peace we’ve enjoyed over the last fifty years since the war ended.

“The war wasn’t what someone wanted. It was fought by those who wanted Nigeria to remain one unlike those on the other side who wanted it to divide, that was what led to the war.

“Because of that, I will not say I committed a crime by going to war, it was out of our love for the unity of Nigeria, especially after the killing of Nigerian leaders of northern extraction, of our prominent officers from Lieutenant Colonel to General. I was the only one left. Those who want to foment fresh trouble should not do so.”

On Igbo presidency, Gowon said he has no problem with the South-East producing the next president in 2023.

He said the Igbo might have produced a president if the PDP had continued its rotational presidency.

“There was a time the PDP started rotational presidency, if that was continued maybe the Igbo would have produced a President but that didn’t happen. If that can be done now, I don’t have a problem with it. Anybody can govern. There are many people in Nigeria, if God gives them and they will govern with the fear of God and love for Nigerians, we will make the desired progress.”

General Yakubu Gowon ruled Nigeria from 1966 to 1975.

https://www.pulse.ng/news/local/gowon-speaks-on-civil-war-says-he-didnt-commit-any-crime/wqyzw16

1 Share

Re: Gowon Speaks On Civil War, Says He Didn't Commit Any Crime by Roycemadeit(m): 2:15am On Jan 20, 2020
God punish am.

3 Likes

Re: Gowon Speaks On Civil War, Says He Didn't Commit Any Crime by Nukilia: 4:58am On Jan 20, 2020
The souls of those murdered will forever torment the doers of evil. undecided

4 Likes

Re: Gowon Speaks On Civil War, Says He Didn't Commit Any Crime by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:00am On Jan 20, 2020
Roycemadeit:

God punish am.

Why do you think God will punish him? undecided
Re: Gowon Speaks On Civil War, Says He Didn't Commit Any Crime by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:30am On Jan 20, 2020
Nukilia:

The souls of those murdered will forever torment the doers of evil. undecided

Who committed murders undecided
Re: Gowon Speaks On Civil War, Says He Didn't Commit Any Crime by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:47pm On Jan 20, 2020
Speech by Major-General Yakubu Gowon Calling For The Surrender of Biafra | May 28th 1968

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAlPgtX_D1g
Re: Gowon Speaks On Civil War, Says He Didn't Commit Any Crime by Dedetwo(m): 9:04pm On Jan 20, 2020
OLAADEGBU:

Gowon speaks on civil war, says he didn't commit any crime
BAYO WAHAB Last Saturday at 9:39 AM

Gowon says he did not commit a crime by going to war because he did it for the love of unity of Nigeria.

Fifty years after the end of the civil war, a former Head of State, Gen Yakubu Gowon (retd.), who led the Nigerian side during the war said he didn’t commit any crime.

Gowon said this while speaking in a special interview he granted to the Hausa Service of the British Broadcasting Service on Wednesday, January 15, 2020, in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the end of the civil war.

He said the war was started by those who wanted Nigeria to divide, adding that he did not commit a crime by going to war because he did it for the love of unity of Nigeria.

He said, “I want to thank God that we ended the civil war on a peaceful note; like I said back then, there was no victor, no vanquished. I thank God for the peace we’ve enjoyed over the last fifty years since the war ended.

“The war wasn’t what someone wanted. It was fought by those who wanted Nigeria to remain one unlike those on the other side who wanted it to divide, that was what led to the war.

“Because of that, I will not say I committed a crime by going to war, it was out of our love for the unity of Nigeria, especially after the killing of Nigerian leaders of northern extraction, of our prominent officers from Lieutenant Colonel to General. I was the only one left. Those who want to foment fresh trouble should not do so.”

On Igbo presidency, Gowon said he has no problem with the South-East producing the next president in 2023.

He said the Igbo might have produced a president if the PDP had continued its rotational presidency.

“There was a time the PDP started rotational presidency, if that was continued maybe the Igbo would have produced a President but that didn’t happen. If that can be done now, I don’t have a problem with it. Anybody can govern. There are many people in Nigeria, if God gives them and they will govern with the fear of God and love for Nigerians, we will make the desired progress.”

General Yakubu Gowon ruled Nigeria from 1966 to 1975.

https://www.pulse.ng/news/local/gowon-speaks-on-civil-war-says-he-didnt-commit-any-crime/wqyzw16

Please someone should convey to this old fool that to have love for something does not absolve a person from crime or criminal prosecution. You were not granted any absolute power to foisted war on Biafra. The people of Biafra simply wanted to stay away from Nigeria. It is silly and shameful to say you killed many people to have the type of Nigeria that exists today. I cannot even kill a house fly in order to have today's Nigeria. What a dumbass goon.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon Speaks On Civil War, Says He Didn't Commit Any Crime by rummmy: 9:09pm On Jan 20, 2020
the souls he killed years ago are waiting for you at the other side,they will not rest in peace till you come.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon Speaks On Civil War, Says He Didn't Commit Any Crime by maiunguwar: 9:56pm On Jan 20, 2020
Gowon should be tied to a stake and shot,his corpse fed to crocodiles at the Agulu lake and his soul sent to hell fire to burn till eternity
Re: Gowon Speaks On Civil War, Says He Didn't Commit Any Crime by ZombieHUNT: 9:58pm On Jan 20, 2020
you belong in hell Gowon....

Your generation yet unborn
Re: Gowon Speaks On Civil War, Says He Didn't Commit Any Crime by 9jii(m): 10:04pm On Jan 20, 2020
ZombieHUNT:
you belong in hell Gowon....

Your generation yet unborn
Together with those 3million from the other side
Re: Gowon Speaks On Civil War, Says He Didn't Commit Any Crime by ZombieHUNT: 11:27pm On Jan 20, 2020
9jii:

Terrorists everywhere
Re: Gowon Speaks On Civil War, Says He Didn't Commit Any Crime by LabDNA: 11:36pm On Jan 20, 2020
OLAADEGBU:

Why do you think God will punish him? undecided

What do you think Amotekun?
Re: Gowon Speaks On Civil War, Says He Didn't Commit Any Crime by LabDNA: 11:39pm On Jan 20, 2020
9jii:

Another rotten-toothed gworo-crunching abooki. No be your people dey die like flies today?

Are you better than the East in any socio-economic index? Bloody camel-fuckers. grin

Re: Gowon Speaks On Civil War, Says He Didn't Commit Any Crime by Yaronkirki: 11:39pm On Jan 20, 2020
You are right gowon....I see nothing bad in what u did....the war is what they wanted which u gave them..did any of ojukwu relatives lost his life during the biafran war? capital NO.that's how their greedy leaders will be deceiving and brainwashing them... later they will say they are smart.but the smartness is on how to make money through dirty means
Re: Gowon Speaks On Civil War, Says He Didn't Commit Any Crime by 9jii(m): 10:28am On Jan 21, 2020
ZombieHUNT:

Terrorists everywhere
Proud one
Re: Gowon Speaks On Civil War, Says He Didn't Commit Any Crime by 9jii(m): 10:30am On Jan 21, 2020
LabDNA:

Another rotten-toothed gworo-crunching abooki. No be your people dey die like flies today?

Are you better than the East in any socio-economic index? Bloody camel-fuckers. grin
So it pained all these piigs from babies factory. Great!
Re: Gowon Speaks On Civil War, Says He Didn't Commit Any Crime by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:16am On Jan 21, 2020
LabDNA:

What do you think Amotekun?

You are free to enrol. tongue

ÀMỌ̀TẸ́KÙN NURSERY & PRY SCHOOL, IGBÓ IRÚNMỌLẸ̀, NEAR OKE-LANGBODO!

New Enrolment starting first week of February. 2020.
Course Contents include six years of learning how to make and deploy the following traditional weaponry:

Gbètugbètu (Google earth)
Ọkarabata (Voice robotic)
Olùgbohùn(Voice jammer)
Ayẹ-ẹta(unseen bullet deflector)
Òkíígbẹ́(anti-bullet/shrapnel)
Atamọ́tàsé(precision munition)
Ìfúnpá(Treated arm band)
Ìgbàdií(treated waist band)
Olúwẹri (Submariners)
Àfòṣẹ(robotic command signals)
Àgádágodo(spiritual padlock)
Egbé (teletransporter)
Àyájó̩(Weather forecaster)
Kánàkò(spiritual Google maps)
O̩fà (Treated poisoned arrow)
Ata( spiritual hand grenade)
Ṣakabùlà( locally sourced Rifle)

Upon graduation, students will take advanced college work in the making of Àdó-Iku (grenades) and Ẹ̀tù-Ìparun (bombs) and be employable with the S/W Amọtẹkun security outfit.

Bring your children NOW!!!
School fee: Only N250,000 per academic year.
https://www./ondoconnectnewera2012/permalink/2622186134546487/

(1) (Reply)

APC Prepares For Post-oshiomhole Era / The Best Governors In Nigeria Poll / Is Racism Against Blacks Because The World Thinks Africa Is A Lost Continent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.