Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,951 members, 7,810,631 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:25 PM

Entrepreneurs Are Ruining Morales Of Employees - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Entrepreneurs Are Ruining Morales Of Employees (24129 Views)

80% Of Employees In Banks Are Casual Workers: ASSBIFI / Verbal Abuse Of Employees / NSITF Begins Aggressive Enforcement Of Employees’ Compensation Scheme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Entrepreneurs Are Ruining Morales Of Employees by ghiloman28(m): 1:07pm On Jan 21, 2020
lipsrsealed
Re: Entrepreneurs Are Ruining Morales Of Employees by pmoye(m): 4:37pm On Jan 21, 2020
It is turn by turn. Your turn will come. You will have your own company, and then we'll all see what you'll do better.

ImaIma1:

Ahhhh...you know them. I worked for one..
Chai! I don work for this my life. Husband and wife were pastors. The husband was the MD and the wife had a ceremonial position. She used to come and go anytime she wanted. We never got along because she tried to micromanage me.

It was obvious they used to discuss me at home from the way they spoke. They could delay salaries whilee they are out of the country celebrating anniversary. They could blackmail staff with the there's no job out there mantra. They would even bring external facilitators to talk to talk about growing in a place. That it might not be rosy but it will pay off later.

I left after three months because I couldn't deal with that kind of local stress. Staff had stayed there for long. When I left, it seems their eyes were opened because others that had stayed for years that thought they could not find another job, began to leave. I
Re: Entrepreneurs Are Ruining Morales Of Employees by Bigval5: 5:28pm On Jan 21, 2020
LewsTherin:

I laugh.

At what point did I say I pay my staff mid month?

And let me guess, you are not an employer of labour.

Thank God you said "Guess "
Re: Entrepreneurs Are Ruining Morales Of Employees by ImaIma1(f): 7:19pm On Jan 21, 2020
pmoye:
It is turn by turn. Your turn will come. You will have your own company, and then we'll all see what you'll do better.

I know the ones that don't owe no matter what. Those are the people I aspire to be like...people with conscience and integrity. Those types would rather tell you to go rather than stay and be owed. That the staff would not even want to leave. Or are you not aware that there are people like that?

It's not about setting up office and employing people. It has to be sustainable. Some people just jump into it prematurely and start frustrating their employees.

3 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs Are Ruining Morales Of Employees by pmoye(m): 7:59pm On Jan 21, 2020
I wrote what I wrote because I both understand your experience and that of your former employers.
I have bosses at the place of my work. But I also have a CAC incorporated company with 12 employees.
And I know that no matter how good and considerate the boss is, there are more employees who see their job as no more than an opportunity to get paid regardless of whether or not they are productive.
I hardly waste time in showing these individuals, which sadly are in the majority, the way out.
My pay structure is directly tied to productivity. I have a core pay that I remunerate a particular position with, and their salary increment is directly linked to how productive they each are as determined both by customer feedback and sales report. I do this to make them realize that my staff's financial promotion is directly tied to the profit we make as a company.

Yes, I also know that there are so many horrible bosses out there. Perhaps I am also horrible to a staff that finds it difficult to be responsible for the profit of the company. And no, I NEVER owe my staff salary. God forbid.

I didn't mean to minimize your experience at all, I only tried to point it out that once roles are reversed and you are the boss, you will understand what several employers face.

ImaIma1:

I know the ones that don't owe no matter what. Those are the people I aspire to be like...people with conscience and integrity. Those types would rather tell you to go rather than stay and be owed. That the staff would not even want to leave. Or are you not aware that there are people like that?

It's not about setting up office and employing people. It has to be sustainable. Some people just jump into it prematurely and start frustrating their employees.

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs Are Ruining Morales Of Employees by harbarzzy(m): 9:03pm On Jan 21, 2020
ImaIma1:

Ahhhh...you know them. I worked for one..
Chai! I don work for this my life. Husband and wife were pastors. The husband was the MD and the wife had a ceremonial position. She used to come and go anytime she wanted. We never got along because she tried to micromanage me.

It was obvious they used to discuss me at home from the way they spoke. They could delay salaries whilee they are out of the country celebrating anniversary. They could blackmail staff with the there's no job out there mantra. They would even bring external facilitators to talk to talk about growing in a place. That it might not be rosy but it will pay off later.

I left after three months because I couldn't deal with that kind of local stress. Staff had stayed there for long. When I left, it seems their eyes were opened because others that had stayed for years that thought they could not find another job, began to leave. I
I did 3 months without pay..He even sent police to my House and they searched hoping they could get something to implicate me because I becoming like a threat to him.. before anything the man will say Jesus must come first..Fela said it
Re: Entrepreneurs Are Ruining Morales Of Employees by TEYA: 9:10pm On Jan 21, 2020
Freiburger:
What would you do as an employer when you find that people are willingly to do anything to secure a JOB(just over broke)?
It is your type that trick fools into business. Many employees will do better than most so called employers of labour. Just over broke my foot!

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs Are Ruining Morales Of Employees by CeterisXVII: 12:16am On Jan 22, 2020
LewsTherin:
Thank you.

I was talking to a friend about the challanges he was facing with his staff. Half of his new employees dissapear after recieving their first salary. It was then he was adviced by a lawyer to pay mid month of the following month. Understand that if you are being paid mid month every month, then your salary is to all intents and purposes regular and you are not being owed.
If half of your staff disappear after receiving their first salary, then check yourself.

How are you treating them? Did you humiliate and insult them, under the guise of correcting them?

Or did you make false promises to them when hiring them? Or did you simply make an error of judgement, in hiring the wrong kind of people to work for you? There is something called recruitment error.

Do a root cause analysis. I have a client who promised a new staff of his, that she could close at 4p.m each day, since she was a nursing mother, whose child was less than 4 months old.

She agreed and eagerly took the job. From her 3rd day at work till end of the month, she was made to close at 7p.m each day. She did not have anyone to help her, except an elderly nanny who also had to go home early. She reported to the MD several times, but he did nothing.

At the end of the month, she just collected her pay and left. Her child's health and safety, was more important than anything else.

Sometimes, new staff see the deplorable way that older staff are treated, and they tell themselves that they cannot tolerate the bad conditions, under which the older staff are working.

You see some staff that have been there for 3-5 years looking like destitutes, and then they tell the new staff about how mean and horrible the management acts, towards them.

Do you think the new staff will stay, when they see that your company is a dead end?

Nobody needs to tell them that there is no future, in your company....

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs Are Ruining Morales Of Employees by ImaIma1(f): 12:20am On Jan 22, 2020
pmoye:
I wrote what I wrote because I both understand your experience and that of your former employers.
I have bosses at the place of my work. But I also have a CAC incorporated company with 12 employees.
And I know that no matter how good and considerate the boss is, there are more employees who see their job as no more than an opportunity to get paid regardless of whether or not they are productive.
I hardly waste time in showing these individuals, which sadly are in the majority, the way out.
My pay structure is directly tied to productivity. I have a core pay that I remunerate a particular position with, and their salary increment is directly linked to how productive they each are as determined both by customer feedback and sales report. I do this to make them realize that my staff's financial promotion is directly tied to the profit we make as a company.

Yes, I also know that there are so many horrible bosses out there. Perhaps I am also horrible to a staff that finds it difficult to be responsible for the profit of the company. And no, I NEVER owe my staff salary. God forbid.

I didn't mean to minimize your experience at all, I only tried to point it out that once roles are reversed and you are the boss, you will understand what several employers face.

I get your point. And sometimes in the year business could be slow. But I am talking about bosses who put paying salaries at the bottom of the chain which comes after overseas leisure trips, new cars and acquisitions, etc.

2 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs Are Ruining Morales Of Employees by blazerzz: 12:22am On Jan 22, 2020
Lazy employees, 99% of them only think of how to fraud, steal and crumble your biz 100% of the tym. do you have any idea of what it takes to run a successful business in this gadamm country. Every true entreprenuer knows how to retain an compensate their bst employees.
Re: Entrepreneurs Are Ruining Morales Of Employees by CeterisXVII: 12:24am On Jan 22, 2020
pmoye:
blazerzz:
Lazy employees, 99% of them only think of how to fraud, steal and crumble your biz 100% of the tym. do you have any idea of what it takes to run a successful business in this gadamm country. Every true entreprenuer knows how to retain an compensate their bst employees.
Oga, stop it! shocked Some of us have done both. We have been employees in the past, as well as employers of labour.

Please note: many MSME and SME business owners are bad. They are bad at management, bad at handling funds, poor at managing relationships, lousy at seeking knowledge, but very good at cheating their staff, and humiliating them.

Yet, they want their businesses to succeed. Many local employers do NOT know how to retain and compensate staff. They classify everyone as cheats, meanwhile they are often the architect of their own problems.

I worked with an SME during youth corps. My boss was the best boss I have ever worked with till date.

He treated us so well, with honesty, transparency and utmost respect, that when he didn't have salaries to pay us, we gladly used our own money to keep his business running.

Unfortunately, his clients kept owing him left, right and centre.

The day the bank came to close down his office over unpaid debts, we gathered outside the gate, crying for him. For months, we were visiting him at home, praying that God will help him reopen his business.

Finally, he relocated abroad. That was many years ago. Today, we are still in touch on WhatsApp and social media.

2 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs Are Ruining Morales Of Employees by holatunde1759(m): 6:25am On Jan 22, 2020
Nothing beats freedom and peace of mind.

If you're not getting both, leave!

You will not die.

The street gat you.
Re: Entrepreneurs Are Ruining Morales Of Employees by pmoye(m): 10:42am On Jan 22, 2020
I agree with you 100% on the points raised. I am not making excuses for bad leadership, but at the same time some of us too will admit that as much as we have bad bosses we have bad employees as well.
I happen to have cause to also work from time to time at an office outside Nigeria, and in my team at the office I have another Nigerian there. This is not a joke: any day the Oga at the top is away for some official engagements this guy does not show up at the office. He one time invited me to join some of his friends on a Friday to a pub visit out of town. I was shocked, told him we have to be at the office, and he thought I had this disposition towards work because I belong to the management staff. He simply advised me to go to the office the Friday morning, clock in with my magnetic card and leave for the pub visit. That I could only return later at night to the office to clock out. I didn't even know how to reply him than to express the sentiment that he had exported his laziness to Europe.

But yes, there are bad leaders, but sometimes it also depends on the employee one asks.

ImaIma1:

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs Are Ruining Morales Of Employees by IamOmashola: 3:37pm On Jan 22, 2020
Gerrard59:

I understand that there are private school owners who are wicked: owe staff, overwork and to an extent micromanage them. However, a business cannot pay her employees more than she can afford. If you don't like your salary, do resign. It's that simple.

These things are not that straightforward. Some employers are just plain wicked and heartless. A company in Lagos used to pay Engineers 40-60k. The Engineers kept pleading for a raise but were always met with, "if you can't take it, tender your resignation"

Later on, they lost one of their major contracts to another company.

The other company started poaching their Engineers offering them N200,000 naira monthly so they started leaving one after the other. The first company offered the Engineers a raise but none of them took it.

They hurriedly reviewed the salary of the Engineers still with them and increased it from between 40-60k to 100-150k. They have been paying this reviewed salary for a little over two years. Where did they suddenly get the money from?

This was a case of a company that could clearly afford to pay more but deliberately decided not to.

2 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs Are Ruining Morales Of Employees by Gerrard59(m): 4:00pm On Jan 22, 2020
IamOmashola:

These things are not that straightforward. Some employers are just plain wicked and heartless. A company in Lagos used to pay Engineers 40-60k. The Engineers kept pleading for a raise but were always met with, "if you can't take it, tender your resignation"

Later on, they lost one of their major contract to another company.

The other company started poaching their Engineers offering them N200,000 naira monthly so they started leaving one after the other. The first company offered the Engineers a raise but none of them took it.

They hurriedly reviewed the salary of the Engineers still with them and increased it from between 40-60k to 100-150k. They have been paying this reviewed salary for a little over two years. Where did they suddenly get the money from?

This was a case of a company that could clearly afford to pay more but deliberately decided not to.

It's good the firm lost out of everything. My post was based on firms willing to pay well but don't have the funds to. However, tight fisted companies would lose in the long run in terms of skilled personnel if they deliberately refuse to adjust to the market. But looking at it again, it boils down to demand and supply.

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs Are Ruining Morales Of Employees by africandollar: 8:03pm On Jan 30, 2020
Chrisakuneme:

And if every soul starts a business, who will work do the jobs?
You hit the nail on the head with that statement...it’s just a matter of choice so the OP should quit complaining and suck it up else put it up.

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs Are Ruining Morales Of Employees by africandollar: 8:07pm On Jan 30, 2020
ImaIma1:

You that started your own business, don't you have people working for you? If all of them go and start their business, how will yours run? If everyone is an entrepreneur, who will be the employee in that organisation? You guys should think. Not everyone will start a business.

There are some employees that are richer than you people forming entrepreneur that only make occasional money. Entrepreneurs that are still going to beg employees of companies to help boost their business. You better acknowledge employees because they help some of you guys. The ones that come here to appeal to us to use them as vendors. Why don't they go to their fellow entrepreneurs??

You don’t get the point, my response was to the OP complaining not a cry for everyone to become business owners. If you can’t stand working as an employee for a one-man company in Nigeria then it’s either you resign and seek for employment elsewhere, suck it up while seeking for employment elsewhere or start your business.

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs Are Ruining Morales Of Employees by AlphaSoul: 10:47am On Feb 07, 2021
mymoney001:
The plethora of small business owners/entrepreneurs are the ruin and end of the morale of their employees..

Talmbout the increase of unemployment and I'll point you to these miniscule bosses who have the knack of under-paying and or owing their employees salaries with no benefits like trainings, pension, health insurance, salary increase, leave bonus, overtime pay.....etc

These set of people will blame buhari for the dilapidated state of the economy yet they won't fold up their business since they cannot afford to pay regular salaries and on time.

They will assign you to do an elephant-size job only for you to earn an ant-size salary, in which your ant-size salary won't be paid till the 15th - 20th of the next month, yet they expect you to be dazzling and be happy and perform effectively These bunch of cheats make you feel that they are doing you a huge favour by paying you your right (salary) so that you should put on a grateful attitude and be positive.

You will work and grind like a mule for them, only for them to use the money and pay the fees of their kids they've stashed in an abroad versity... The nonsense they expect you to tolerate and endure from them simply because there are few jobs and unemployment is high, they won't encourage their kids to such. They train/teach their kids to always demand for their rights but if you demand for your rights lasan, you'll get sacked or seen as being disrespectful.

But with a peanut salary without employment benefits, how can you even plan your life, grow and develop yourself and live modestly? You can even be on the same paltry sum for the next 3-5ive years, yet no promotion, no increase.

Out of frustration, a lot of people have left their salary behind in their previous employment(s) and thunder is still keeping silent. Their bosses haven't even felt a pinch of guilt.

We have faulted politicians for the many woes and chaos bedeviling and crippling the peace of the state but It is not only politicians that are ripping the economy of Nigeria apart, these ones are also depleting Nigeria. They are the saboteurs of the growth and dreams of aspiring youths.

But their children are safely tucked away & secured in a system that works. They are studying abroad and will barge an abroad certificate which is highly relevant and consequential.

If the leaders abroad didn't have a growth mindset to develop their system and make it workable, tell me where these dream killers would have shipped their child(ren) to?

I doubt if we have labour laws in Nigeria that protects the rights of employees and jail employers/sole proprietor/entrepreneurs who cheat their staff of their hard earn wages and benefits....because if we do, a lot of small business owners would have gone into oblivion.

Laslas na *God dey* na im be poor man hope/slant. Na im we dey take control ourself when we lose out...

PS: nobody should come here and nye nye about how people should goan become their own boss/entrepreneur...
Before you make such foolish comment thinking that you are wise, let this sink in: everyone won't be business owners because not everyone can stand and survive it's nitty-gritty, not everyone have business acumen, some people are better off in this life working as employees and will be successful at it; while some other people need to gain that experience first before they can venture out...

Our heads and journey/pathway in life are not the same.

Written by YeloSisi
Re: Entrepreneurs Are Ruining Morales Of Employees by Historicalee: 2:23am On Feb 08, 2021
This is the reason why straightforward employers should employ diligent youthful workers like me.

If you're based abroad and you need a good manager or partner for your business, contact me. I belong to the 1%.
Re: Entrepreneurs Are Ruining Morales Of Employees by Angelinvestor1: 10:15am On Mar 30, 2021
I am an Angel investor that would like to invest on 2 budding entrepreneurs. If you have a good business idea and plan, I might invest in it. You must be based in Ogun state and preferably in the Sango/Agbara/Atan/Lusada/Owode area. You will need to pitch your idea to me via zoom or Google meet.

As a start for your business idea, there is a building on a plot of land with a 30KVA and 15KVA generators with a borehole. Several machinery including:
MiG/TiG welding machines
Industrial hot car washing machines

A photo of building is attached here.

A maximum of 2 entrepreneurs needed. No specific educational qualification is needed. Minimum investment is 1.5 million naira per entrepeneur.
If you have any shady ideas, do not bother contacting me as you will be found out.
Thanks
@AngelInvestor1

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Back To Nigeria After Medical School? / AIT Staff Beg Buhari To Intervene In Salary Crisis / Transcorp Hilton Staff Loses Job For Supporting Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.