Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,276 members, 7,815,461 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:46 PM

Why Did God Need To Write The 10 Commandments - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did God Need To Write The 10 Commandments (10792 Views)

Write the Bible In Pigin English! / Did God Really Write The Bible? / Did God Create Hell? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did God Need To Write The 10 Commandments by Kobojunkie: 6:37pm On Dec 13, 2022
UseItOrLoseIt:
The sheer breadth and depth of the discussion alone
I guess I don't see what you see. undecided
Re: Why Did God Need To Write The 10 Commandments by Nobody: 7:12pm On Dec 13, 2022
Kobojunkie:
I guess I don't see what you see. undecided

no worries - one day I shall reach your height and level of enlightenment, right now, I am just digesting what my perspective can see
Re: Why Did God Need To Write The 10 Commandments by Sand2022: 2:06pm On Dec 15, 2022
lagerwhenindoubt:
I shall (think it safe to) assume nearly everyone (Muslims, Christians, Atheists, Pagans, Traditionalists and Free-thinkers) is at least familiar with the 10 Commandments of Bible Literature (even if some may not know each one by instruction)

I shall summarize for the purpose of brevity; the 10 Commandments is a list of religious and moral imperatives that, (according to the Hebrew Bible) were given by God to the Israelite from Mount Sinai or Horeb. an inscription on two stone tablets which God wrote with his finger and gave to Moses. The 10 Commandments are recognized as a moral foundation in Judaism and Christianity.

The 10 Commandments declare the Lord, who brought the Israelites out of slavery in Egypt, to be God; prohibit having other gods before the Lord, and making or worshiping idols; threaten punishment for those who reject the Lord and promise love for those who love him; forbid misuse of the Lord's name; demand observance of the Sabbath and honoring one's parents; prohibit killing, adultery, theft, false testimony, and coveting of one's neighbor's goods.

That said, Did God write the 10 Commandments and why would he need to? we are clearly told that the Fallen Man (Adam and Eve) possessed the Knowledge of Good and Evil (Conscience or Still Small Voice) and basically had the framework for a guiding sense of Morality. Why did God not give them such Laws? Must Morality be derived from God? is the responsibility to determine what is right and wrong a function of God's Divine Law? are our actions Morally Right or Wrong because God says so? Do we need a Law-Maker and a Law-Giver to know what is Morally Wrong or Right.

When I look at similar 10 commandments of Allah, it still bears the same obviously simple concepts of Morality that even non-Muslims and non-Christians can agree with.

Do we need God to tell us what is Morally Right and Wrong? in such Strict Terms?

Thank you for your time

We always need someone to set laws for all. Think of it this way; would you think that it is pointless for Govt to set laws in a country? I mean, wouldn't everyone know what is right?

Morality is objective, and not everyone sees eye to eye on what is morally ok. We need God to tell us what is right. There should be that Supreme Authority to make a moral decision for all.
Re: Why Did God Need To Write The 10 Commandments by Dtruthspeaker: 4:06pm On Dec 15, 2022
Sand2022:

We always need someone to set laws for all. Think of it this way; would you think that it is pointless for Govt to set laws in a country? I mean, wouldn't everyone know what is right?

Morality is objective, and not everyone sees eye to eye on what is morally ok. We need God to tell us what is right. There should be that Supreme Authority to make a moral decision for all.

Most especially as The Owner of the House must always set down The Laws the occupants must abide with else, they would burn down His House.
Re: Why Did God Need To Write The 10 Commandments by Kobojunkie: 4:54am On May 11, 2023
lagerwhenindoubt:
I shall summarize for the purpose of brevity; the 10 Commandments is a list of religious and moral imperatives that, (according to the Hebrew Bible) were given by God to the Israelite from Mount Sinai or Horeb. an inscription on two stone tablets which God wrote with his finger and gave to Moses. The 10 Commandments are recognized as a moral foundation in Judaism and Christianity.

The 10 Commandments declare the Lord, who brought the Israelites out of slavery in Egypt, to be God; prohibit having other gods before the Lord, and making or worshiping idols; threaten punishment for those who reject the Lord and promise love for those who love him; forbid misuse of the Lord's name; demand observance of the Sabbath and honoring one's parents; prohibit killing, adultery, theft, false testimony, and coveting of one's neighbor's goods.

That said, Did God write the 10 Commandments and why would he need to? we are clearly told that the Fallen Man (Adam and Eve) possessed the Knowledge of Good and Evil (Conscience or Still Small Voice) and basically had the framework for a guiding sense of Morality. Why did God not give them such Laws? Must Morality be derived from God? is the responsibility to determine what is right and wrong a function of God's Divine Law? are our actions Morally Right or Wrong because God says so? Do we need a Law-Maker and a Law-Giver to know what is Morally Wrong or Right.

When I look at similar 10 commandments of Allah, it still bears the same obviously simple concepts of Morality that even non-Muslims and non-Christians can agree with.

Do we need God to tell us what is Morally Right and Wrong? in such Strict Terms?
The Old Law of Moses, which contains about 613 total commandments and statutes, not just the 10 you seem to know is in fact the National Constitution of the Nation of Israel in the Land of Canaan. The Law is meant for the Nation God constituted of the people. undecided
Re: Why Did God Need To Write The 10 Commandments by Kobojunkiee: 3:37pm On May 15, 2023
JeSoul:
■ Nice topic. As you astutely note, we do not "need" God to tell us what is morally right or wrong, and I believe this is so because we already have a moral compass inherently built in us by which we can use to calibrate our motives and measure the morality of a action - Rom 2: - . . . though sometimes it is not always black and white on what is right or wrong. God's laws are written on our hearts, and the way I see it, it also doesn't hurt to have them also written on paper or should I saw stone.
Jesus Christ does not teach morality and Paul does not in any way suggest that having a moral compass makes you righteous with God instead he clearly states that it is by doing that it is through obedience — of all, not some parts of the law — that you are then approved righteous by God. Scripture has it that God's standard of righteousness is only obtainable for those who are in right standing with His Law and this by knowing the Truth(the Law) and then being set free by the Truth. Your moral compass aka your conscience, surely does not have all the knowledge of Truth necessary to help you achieve that which Jesus Christ said He alone, in you, can. undecided
Re: Why Did God Need To Write The 10 Commandments by Kobojunkie: 3:42pm On May 18, 2023
Omenani:
God gave Moses the Ten Commandments on Mount Sinai to serve as the moral code of behavior for the Jews. Those are general laws. You can find a more thorough composition of Jewish law in Leviticus.
God gave Moses approximately 613 commandments and statutes rather. undecided
Re: Why Did God Need To Write The 10 Commandments by Kobojunkie: 7:01pm On May 19, 2023
mazaje:
■ Non of them will touch this. . . .Thou shall not seethe a kid in his mother's milk, eh?. . . .No be small thing. . . grin
Where is the punishment for this listed as death? undecided
19 “When you gather your crops at harvest time, you should bring the first of everything you harvest to the house[a] of the Lord your God. “You must not eat the meat from a young goat that is boiled in its mother’s milk.” - Exodus 23 vs 19
Re: Why Did God Need To Write The 10 Commandments by Kobojunkie: 3:27am On May 23, 2023
mantraa:
■ The wages of sin is death! Sin is the transgression of the law. The ten commandments where the law, written in stone by the almighty god Yahweh. Break any one of those laws and your punishment is death. (Romans 6:23)
Rather, death is the reward for living one's life in violation of the Law - Deuteronomy 30 vs 15 - 20. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Seven Important Reasons You Need The Holy Spirit. / Are There Degrees Of Punishment In Hell? / God Was WITH God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.