Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,073 members, 7,818,206 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

Do Military Men Go For NYSC? - NYSC (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Do Military Men Go For NYSC? (30144 Views)

No State Available For NYSC Registration / How to go for stream 2 rather than stream 1 for Nysc Batch B 2017 / Any Hope For NYSC 2017 Batch B? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by hybridblood07(m): 12:01am On Nov 19, 2020
Lol. You don't sound like you're from there!
kashoggi:

NMS ? were you? Which COY? You seemed too informed not to be one. smiley
Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by eddieo(m): 1:06am On Nov 19, 2020
Oga, I still put it to you that you're highly misinformed. No one said it's automatic qualification to be a soldier on graduating from NMS. If you were born into this you won't be dishing out this thrash of an information. Next time know the difference between a soldier and a Commissioned officer. The students in NDA are cadets they become commissioned officers after their Pipping I have many family members that have gone through NMS and I currently live very close to NMS. Few years ago, Exboys had the option of enlisting into the Army and are posted to their units without any further 6 months trainings to make them soldiers.. to put it to you again, the training of new recruits is done at the Chindit Barracks, Zaria where the Nigerian Miltary School is located not Jaji..Jaji is specialized training in Infantry. Stop misinforming people please. Any ex-boy who is currently still serving it is illegal to participate in the NYSC as you are already on the government pay roll in the army...Your parents might be Retired Soldiers not officers but that doesn't make you think you know much about NMS..Do you know where other soldiers don't like them? Be sure of the special priviledge of furthering their schooling in higher institutions if they chose to. Do you know what those in school are called? BOY SOLDIER..even though they are not full fledged soldiers until they are deployed and fully enlisted into the Nigerian Army pay roll.
Pierocash:
from the day you are admitted into NDA ,you become a soldier, that is why you are placed on salary till you graduate. Nms isn't like that because you are not a soldier yet that is why you pay fees every session including text books but offers you an opportunity to become one when you decide to. You Go to6 months training and you are passed out as a Private
Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by mcseun1(m): 6:18am On Nov 19, 2020
I have a friend who finished from nms and proceeded to ui for his degree. He didn't serve but was exempted based on ex uniform man
Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by Pierocash(m): 7:21am On Nov 19, 2020
eddieo:
Oga, I still put it to you that you're highly misinformed. No one said it's automatic qualification to be a soldier on graduating from NMS. If you were born into this you won't be dishing out this thrash of an information. Next time know the difference between a soldier and a Commissioned officer. The students in NDA are cadets they become commissioned officers after their Pipping I have many family members that have gone through NMS and I currently live very close to NMS. Few years ago, Exboys had the option of enlisting into the Army and are posted to their units without any further 6 months trainings to make them soldiers.. to put it to you again, the training of new recruits is done at the Chindit Barracks, Zaria where the Nigerian Miltary School is located not Jaji..Jaji is specialized training in Infantry. Stop misinforming people please. Any ex-boy who is currently still serving it is illegal to participate in the NYSC as you are already on the government pay roll in the army...Your parents might be Retired Soldiers not officers but that doesn't make you think you know much about NMS..Do you know where other soldiers don't like them? Be sure of the special priviledge of furthering their schooling in higher institutions if they chose to. Do you know what those in school are called? BOY SOLDIER..even though they are not full fledged soldiers until they are deployed and fully enlisted into the Nigerian Army pay roll.
nobody in military service, or sports team goes to NYSC,because they are already in service. That is not only for soldiers,it is for even police, or anybody representing the national team in any sports team.

Whether I calk it jaji or not isn't the point. I am from a military home, air force to be precised so may not know the name of their training camp. But the whole fact still remains that a six months training is mandatory after you come out from nms if you want to be a soldier, stop your unnecessary argument,you know nothing about it,I have families that have gone through NMS. Even NDA, after you graduate,a six months training is still required to be commissioned into service ,that is not an option,it is mandatary unlike NMS that it is optional because nms aren't soldiers per se, only a gateway to becoming one. That is why in NDA you start earning salary from your final year, and they don't pay fees or tuition in NDA because you are already a soldier from The day you are admitted.
That is not the case for NMS, one they don't train you with guns and how to shoot in NMS, that is a training reserved after you decide to proceed after your graduation and that is done during your 6 months training to be fully enlisted as a soldier.

You know nothing about it,stop arguing it
Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by Pierocash(m): 7:26am On Nov 19, 2020
tutudesz:

Salary start after graduation, infact you are paid a day after graduation to enable you report to units. What you receive through your stay in NDA is allowance.
why are you contradicting yourself. Your salary starts counting from your final year,you only receive it after graduation. That is not same for NMS, until you are fully enlisted after NMS, you are not a soldier. Take that to the bank
Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by Pierocash(m): 7:32am On Nov 19, 2020
eddieo:
secondly, NMS graduates have nothing to do with service, they are secondary school leavers so don't talk of nysc for nms graduates because aren't qualified in the first place. You are arguing nonsense, nobody pays ex boys,I have them 3 in my family,instead nms students pay fees every session, unlike NDA where they don't pay tuitions. If they are soldiers ,they won't pay fees
Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by Joetttimua1811(m): 8:58am On Nov 19, 2020
Pierocash:
secondly, NMS graduates have nothing to do with service, they are secondary school leavers so don't talk of nysc for nms graduates because aren't qualified in the first place. You are arguing nonsense, nobody pays ex boys,I have them 3 in my family,instead nms students pay fees every session, unlike NDA where they don't pay tuitions. If they are soldiers ,they won't pay fees

Guy please are you a personnel

Ex boys are soldiers automatically after their graduation from NMS. Take it or leave it. I wonder why a civilian will even be arguing issues with an ex boy who is telling you. As a soldier if you ask me I will even say ex boys are over qualified to be soldiers cos of the long duration of their training.

A normal soldier trains for 6 or 9 months while an ex boy 6 years mind you they combine both academics and military training.

You can opt out after training but just as I said yesterday it is rare cos who will want to opt out when immediately after graduation from secondary school you automatically have job and receiving salary.

I am a personnel and when I was posted we were together in our HQ with the Ex boys that passed out that year before we were all posted to our various units, and even after many of them have been coming to the unit even one of my boy that served (NYSC) though he was on AWOL when he served after graduation from UNILORIN.

So gentlemen, he that has ears let him hear. �

1 Like

Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by XDaBOSS(m): 9:11am On Nov 19, 2020
Pierocash:
from the day you are admitted into NDA ,you become a soldier, that is why you are placed on salary till you graduate. Nms isn't like that because you are not a soldier yet that is why you pay fees every session including text books but offers you an opportunity to become one when you decide to. You Go to6 months training and you are passed out as a Private

Stop saying what you don't know, in the academy (NDA) you are a cadet not a soldier (there's difference pls). You become a full ranked officer (soldier) the day you pass out and become commissioned.

You also didn't answer my question earlier; are you an ex-boy?

Talking of 6 month training, training is done in deport (Chindit cantonment) not Jaji. And that's were NMS is, you want to compare the mere 6months training given to recruits to the 6years training given to a boy-soldiers who later become ex-boys?

1 Like

Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by Pierocash(m): 9:27am On Nov 19, 2020
Joetttimua1811:

Guy please are you a personnel

Ex boys are soldiers automatically after their graduation from NMS. Take it or leave it. I wonder why a civilian will even be arguing issues with an ex boy who is telling you. As a soldier if you ask me I will even say ex boys are over qualified to be soldiers cos of the long duration of their training.

A normal soldier trains for 6 or 9 months while an ex boy 6 years mind you they combine both academics and military training.

You can opt out after training but just as I said yesterday it is rare cos who will want to opt out when immediately after graduation from secondary school you automatically have job and receiving salary.

I am a personnel and when I was posted we were together in our HQ with the Ex boys that passed out that year before we were all posted to our various units, and even after many of them have been coming to the unit even one of my boy that served (NYSC) though he was on AWOL when he served after graduation from UNILORIN.

So gentlemen, he that has ears let him hear. �
you aren't getting the point, ex boys aren't soldiers as nms students, they are only offered opportunity to become one after graduation from nms if you choose to. It is never rare,three of my families graduated from nms and never wanted to be soldiers,one is a medical doctor today ,the other a civil engineer, the third went to Germany to study aeronautical engineering.

Ex boys were never paid,stop the argument. At no time were they Paid, instead they pay school fees unlike NDA.

Whether I am a soldier yes,I serve with the Nigeria airforce but not a ex boy. I know much about what I am saying.
Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by kashoggi: 12:19pm On Nov 19, 2020
hybridblood07:
Lol. You don't sound like you're from there!

My friend, sit up and don't make assumptions smiley I was only curious if you were an xboy, wanted to know if you happened to be there while military training was suspended. I know it is back now. Your responses had information that an xboy would be privy to smiley
Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by hybridblood07(m): 1:07pm On Nov 19, 2020
Lol. I wish you could see me face to face and say all this. NMS 05 till NMS 2010 did not go to unit. NMS 05 were giving army number but a signal from DHQ or AHQ withdrawn changed the whole story. An NMS 05 went to a military hospital and tender his army number, did you believe the number was active which simply means some idiots are eating their pay while this sets were asked to go to their fathers house. Anyway, I'm glad it's back and the first set are in Infantry and Armor
kashoggi:

My friend, sit up and don't make assumptions smiley I was only curious if you were an xboy, wanted to know if you happened to be there while military training was suspended. I know it is back now. Your responses had information that an xboy would be privy to smiley
Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by Pierocash(m): 1:15pm On Nov 19, 2020
OyinO:

He's not confused but you are. NMS graduates were automatic soldiers after Oath Taking Ceremony shortly before their POP until sometimes in 2011 or thereabout when they stopped the automatic enlistment. It was then that they were not allowed to be deployed to army formations except they go through Depot NA.

but that is same thing I was telling the young man saying nms ex boys are soldiers. And I am telling him that it is not true,I have 3 cousines that went to nms and they aren't soldiers. After they pass out,those interested in joining the military still have to go to 6 months training in depot NA before they can be called soldiers, but he kept arguing.

It wasnt even 2011, it was before then
Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by kashoggi: 1:31pm On Nov 19, 2020
Be careful what you wish for smiley You will fall in at my frontage after dismissal parade smiley
Unfortunately this pay crap happened a lot, especially for those that went to the university.
I ask again are you an xboy? NMS/?/

hybridblood07:
Lol. I wish you could see me face to face and say all this. NMS 05 till NMS 2010 did not go to unit. NMS 05 were giving army number but a signal from DHQ or AHQ withdrawn changed the whole story. An NMS 05 went to a military hospital and tender his army number, did you believe the number was active which simply means some idiots are eating their pay while this sets were asked to go to their fathers house. Anyway, I'm glad it's back and the first set are in Infantry and Armor
Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by hybridblood07(m): 2:41pm On Nov 19, 2020
Lol. NMS what are you?
kashoggi:
Be careful what you wish for smiley You will fall in at my frontage after dismissal parade smiley
Unfortunately this pay crap happened a lot, especially for those that went to the university.
I ask again are you an xboy? NMS/?/

Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by kashoggi: 3:00pm On Nov 19, 2020

hybridblood07:
Lol. NMS what are you?
Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by OyinO: 12:55am On Nov 20, 2020
Pierocash:
but that is same thing I was telling the young man saying nms ex boys are soldiers. And I am telling him that it is not true,I have 3 cousines that went to nms and they aren't soldiers. After they pass out,those interested in joining the military still have to go to 6 months training in depot NA before they can be called soldiers, but he kept arguing.

It wasnt even 2011, it was before then

That Depot stuff started with Ihejirika's tenure as COAS under GEJ. It was not so from May 12 1954 until Ihejirika's tenure. So why were you sounding as if the Depot recruitment retraining has always been there?
Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by hybridblood07(m): 1:50am On Nov 20, 2020
Haaaaa! Monsup!
kashoggi:

Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by Pierocash(m): 7:22am On Nov 20, 2020
OyinO:

That Depot stuff started with Ihejirika's tenure as COAS under GEJ. It was not so from May 12 1954 until Ihejirika's tenure. So why were you sounding as if the Depot recruitment retraining has always been there?
do you argue outdated stuffs? When you put out information in public domain you talk what is obtainable and nor what had been abolished.

Does it make any sense telling people to work with 1954 informations that aren't needed in recent memories.

There was nothing like NYSC until 1972 or so,people graduated and proceed to work. If someone ask you a question that " is it mandatory to go for youth service after graduation, will you start giving the person 1954 information? You tell them what is obtainable in recent memory, simple
Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by Alhajiemeritus: 11:57am On Nov 20, 2020
joelliving:

What amazes me how confident you are In airing your wrong information.
It makes no sense arguing with you because your opinion is ladden with biases.
Not even an exboy can help you.
For those who trully want to know though,an exboy is a soldier from the day he successfully graduates from the Nigerian military school.
This means you can be deployed to maiduguri or even train Corp members in nysc camp.
I've lost count of my course mates in maiduguri.
The late capt tosin oni is one of them.
Tosin later went to academy though.
But whether u are commissioned or not as an exboy you are a soldier!
Does an exboy serve in Nysc? No! He's already serving his country.
By the way for your information nms is one of the major inlets into the Nigerian Army,aside Depot and nda.
You be soldier?
Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by kashoggi: 11:57am On Nov 20, 2020
smiley SIt easy. I thought you will be planting at my frontage by now.

hybridblood07:
Haaaaa! Monsup!
Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by Shunbis(m): 1:50pm On Nov 20, 2020
Oga NMS and NDA na two different things... Graduate from NMS, go unilag, then come apply for DSSC. Oga if you no show certificate of service, no worry. If you like be ex-boy abi gini. Rest abeg
Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by hybridblood07(m): 2:11pm On Nov 20, 2020
Copied sir!
kashoggi:
smiley SIt easy. I thought you will be planting at my frontage by now.

1 Like

Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by Nobleconnect: 6:03pm On Apr 09, 2021
eddieo:
Young Man, Let me make it clear to you guys here.
If you finish from NMS there are three things involved, which you must get yourself into:
1. Get admitted into NDA as an Officer Cadet (Very Competitive).
2. Accept to Continue with the Army but as a Pvt Soldier.
3. Proceed with your normal Civil life.

Where some of you get it wrong is No. 3
Once you choose No. 3 yes you are an Ex boy.
Remember as an "Ex-boy" you remain an Ambassador NMS anywhere.
You can still join the Military fully if you want by applying along with Civilians because you are now among them but very distinguished. Which implies you still have higher chances.

For instance as an ex boy your plan is to join the military as a graduate but you didn't get admission into NDA because of its competitiveness. You can goto any civil tertiary Institution. As a graduate of any civil tertiary Institution you are expected to get Nysc discharge or exemption cert.

In that case as an Ex boy once you're not more than 30 years as at time of Graduation from the civil tertiary Institution you must serve Nigeria through NYSC one year compulsory Service.
Having gone through NMS is not an automatic criteria for Discharge Certificate unless you are above 30years as an ex boy after graduation from tertiary Institution.

It's only those that are into full service in the military, paramilitary, police, etc that are exempted from going to Nysc. If you are an Ex-boy and you feel you are too big to go for NYSC then you are wrong.

If you apply for exemption certificate while filling nysc form with your NMS number then you are also wrong, though you might be given the exemption by mistake as it's generated online NYSC because you applied for it (that is if there's no verification for exemption but if there's verification you won't get exemption). And you will still face challenges later. Because you got it wrong.

NMS is a military secondary school it's very rigorous, core military trainings are involved. You go for range and other bush exercises. Your parent must Sign consent form before you could join NMS.

Section 11 of the NYSC act did not exclude NMS exboys from Serving.
Because NMS is not a Military Tertiary Institution but rather a Military School (Secondary).

All this implies that as an Ex-boy Solider of NMS(Army) you are expected to go for NYSC. Same applies to
Ex-boy Solders of (Airforce and Navy Military Schools).

Gentlemen is that Clear?
Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by adetem(m): 8:40pm On Apr 10, 2021
The answer is No, because they already have the orientation while serving the fatherland.

1 Like

Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by Nobleconnect: 10:55am On Apr 25, 2021
adetem:
The answer is No, because they already have the orientation while serving the fatherland.

Bros you are right...
Military Personnel are not allowed to go for Nysc one year Service.
This also implies to Police and other Para-Military Personnel serving Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by ADIXYOUNG: 12:43pm On Apr 06, 2022
I would be answering two questions here. Firstly, the issue of "Do Military personnels go for NYSC?" The answer is "NO". Because you are already serving your father's land from the day you're enlinsted into the force.
Secondly, the issue of NMS, I am presently an EX-Boy of the NMS serving in the NIGERIAN ARMY with the rank of a Lance Corporal. If you're an EX-Boy, automatically you become a soldier, initially it was optional, but now it's Compulsory so far you pass the basic Medical screening tests. This is how its being done, in NMS you train as a boy soldier pending your POP, after POP you'll be enlisted and posted to your unit. After one year of service in your unit, you can apply for study and proceed to any University of your choice be it NDA or a conventional University. And as for me I graduated from University of Abuja, Department of Microbiology and I didn't serve any NYSC instead, I was excempted from service as a military personnel. I hope this explains it better to clear the air. Since I'm an EX-Boy, a soldier and also a graduate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by eddieo(m): 9:18am On Apr 07, 2022
ADIXYOUNG:
I would be answering two questions here. Firstly, the issue of "Do Military personnels go for NYSC?" The answer is "NO". Because you are already serving your father's land from the day you're enlinsted into the force.
Secondly, the issue of NMS, I am presently an EX-Boy of the NMS serving in the NIGERIAN ARMY with the rank of a Lance Corporal. If you're an EX-Boy, automatically you become a soldier, initially it was optional, but now it's Compulsory so far you pass the basic Medical screening tests. This is how its being done, in NMS you train as a boy soldier pending your POP, after POP you'll be enlisted and posted to your unit. After one year of service in your unit, you can apply for study and proceed to any University of your choice be it NDA or a conventional University. And as for me I graduated from University of Abuja, Department of Microbiology and I didn't serve any NYSC instead, I was excempted from service as a military personnel. I hope this explains it better to clear the air. Since I'm an EX-Boy, a soldier and also a graduate.
You have explained it correctly. Though some of my friends resumed immediately to the university in 100 level after getting Study permit from their units in Ikeja Cantonment. I don't think you must wait a year to get study permit for exboys. May be it depends on your unit.
What you outlined is what I wanted @ Pierocash to understand. Having lived in Zaria all through my life and have families, friends and currently have two nephews in JSS3 in NMS, there is nothing I don't know about NMS. Many of my class mates in the university are scattered around different formations around the country. Some are even Masters degree holders but are still soldiers (not officers).
Some people will just come to this space and argue what they don't know. Someone here was even mentioning Airforce and Navy school secondary students are exboys to my surprise.
Though the DHQ during Iherijiriks tenure suspended automatic deployment of exboys s soldiers after POP. My two nephews that are currently in NMS where enrolled after the DHQ lifted the suspension of enlisting Ex-boys are soldiers into the NA. That was the sole reason their dad enlisted them.
Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by Giftnechebaby: 2:28am On Nov 11, 2023
Can a person who attended a military school like command day secondary School be exempted from going for NYSC?
Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by Chiboss01: 3:19am On Nov 19, 2023
Giftnechebaby:
Can a person who attended a military school like command day secondary School be exempted from going for NYSC?

So far you’re not currently in military, nobody cares about your secondary school. And even though you’re a soldier and you’re under 30 and you wish to go for NYSC, you can register and hide your identity. There is option in NYSC registration form which “Are you serving in so so so…” if you pick yes it means you show your identity to be soldier or any paramilitary officer. But if you pick no then nobody care who you are.

1 Like

Re: Do Military Men Go For NYSC? by henroo2003: 9:09am On Dec 09, 2023
Enwhen:

Go with whatever info u want ....Why will u go to NMS when u don't want to build a career in the army, or be a soldier ?, Why not go to a normal secondary school ??....During the time of my dad , it was straight entry from NMS to the NDA, but for the numbers and those who couldn't get it at the NMS entrance exams as such, went to normal secondary school are now given the opportunity to slug it out with the Ex-boys for NDA admission...Any Ex-boy who is not a soldier was dismissed or went on AWO...a cowards, his salary will be stop...I have tried for u...B-civilian like u wants to argue...if u care for NMS bi-law, soft copy , let me know.

You are not correct. When one finishes NMS doesn't make one a soldier. That person only has military background. Secondly, NDA isn't automatic for any EX Boy. NDA is a university for military. Any ex-boy who want to continue in the military will obtain Jamb form and choose NDA as first choice and also write NDA post UTME. Your dad's case is different. Gone are those days when it's always done like that. I attended Command School and I have friends that went to NMS in Zaria but never attended NDA. So been an Ex-Boy doesn't make you an automatic soldier l..

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Corper Parades For Her Mother, Salutes Her For Singlehandedly Raising Her / 2 Important Reminders For NYSC 2015 Batch 'B' Corpers / Corpers Kill Fowl To Celebrate Buhari's Return From London (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.