Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,852 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:41 PM

Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! (1687 Views)

Should I Relocate My Family To My Base Or Not. / My Husband Wants Us To Relocate To The Village / Urgent: Please Help Choose Between Ox And Lontor Rechargeable Fan. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by Nobody: 8:21am On Jan 27, 2020
I am at crossroads as I dont know if I should remain here or relocate to lagos. I am a fashion designer, I make nice wears for both sex, unfortunately I am not making as much sales as I would like to. Truth is I build no connections all the time I was home prior to when I opened my shop, I spent money upgrading the space to a good form yet nothing show.
Its like everyone are addicted to their tailors and dont want to try a new one, I have used Instagram also. I am now tired of the environment and is thinking about moving to lagos. I have a sister there that can accommodate me for a while, I have no job offer aside my tailoring skills.
How much will it cost to rent an average room and parlour on the mainland? Am I making the right decision? The parlour can serve as a shop space. Living with my parents here is limiting me as well, staying on my own will push me to do more.

1 Like

Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by Nobody: 8:27am On Jan 27, 2020
What is your master plan you dont have clients in lagos either.If you find a way to buy materials and tell your clients to send their measurement you would be able to sew for clients globally and ship to them

6 Likes

Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by JeffreyD1(m): 8:28am On Jan 27, 2020
Hold 2000/250k for room and parlour

If not for cost of living in Abuja
Tailoring job is lucrative here too
Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by life103: 8:34am On Jan 27, 2020
WHERE DO YOU LIVE NOW?

2 Likes

Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by Nobody: 8:35am On Jan 27, 2020
uruba23:
What is your master plan you dont have clients in lagos either.If you find a way to buy materials and tell your clients to send their measurement you would be able to sew for clients globally and ship to them
I have friends in lagos that can connect me with potential customers, not everyone is willing to send their measurements to a new tailor, they would rather sew with someone close by
Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by Nobody: 8:35am On Jan 27, 2020
Sapphire11:
I am at crossroads as I dont know if I should remain here or relocate to lagos. I am a fashion designer, I make nice wears for both sex, unfortunately I am not making as much sales as I would like to. Truth is I build no connections all the time I was home prior to when I opened my shop, I spent money upgrading the space to a good form yet nothing show.
Its like everyone are addicted to their tailors and dont want to try a new one, I have used Instagram also. I am now tired of the environment and is thinking about moving to lagos. I have a sister there that can accommodate me for a while, I have no job offer aside my tailoring skills.
How much will it cost to rent an average room and parlour on the mainland? Am I making the right decision? The parlour can serve as a shop space. Living with my parents here is limiting me as well, staying on my own will push me to do more.

Move.

Lagos people like to try new things. You will be a success here. I'm very sure.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by Nobody: 8:36am On Jan 27, 2020
life103:
WHERE DO YOU LIVE NOW?
I'm in ondo for now

1 Like

Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by Nobody: 8:38am On Jan 27, 2020
Sapphire11:

I have friends in lagos that can connect me with potential customers, not everyone is willing to send their measurements to a new tailor, they would rather sew with someone close by
Okay start networking but if you are exceptional théy would. Yeah be a fashion désigner not a tailor.

1 Like

Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by Nobody: 8:47am On Jan 27, 2020
mikezuruki:

Move.

Lagos people like to try new things. You will be a success here. I'm very sure.
This is promising. Thank you
Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by uboma(m): 8:47am On Jan 27, 2020
@Sapphire11,

You did not indicate your present location. Moving to Lagos, there are no guarantees that it will be better off, here it will take some time to build up a customer base. And do you feel that the peeps in Lagos will abandon their Tailors whom they've been transacting with over the years and come to you?

The best bet may not be to relocate to Lagos but to repackage your services. What kind of designs do you see? Are they the ones in vogue at present? Women, especially want to wear the latest dress in town. Do you keep up with the latest fashion?

Look around you and adapt to the needs of your customers.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by Nobody: 8:50am On Jan 27, 2020
Are you paying rent staying with your parents? If you're not, then stay back and build your clientele. Keep/Save the money you want to come and spend on rent and feeding. Instagram is not the only social media to display your product and get customers. You can use konga, jumia, jiji, Twitter, nairaland, Facebook(pay for public advert for a week.)

Get a catalogue of your designs and your old work. If you don't have it, build it. Get a business card. Move from office to office(banks, government offices, public and private sectors). Show them your catalogue. Talk to people in your church too. Let your price be a bit reduced than what they sew. Make your designs very different, beautiful and catchy.

Always be polite, dress well....put on your design, smile and be bold and outspoken.

Some designers are in Lagos struggling and yet nothing. You can make it where you are, just apply the basics∆ and pray well!

Sorry, I thought it was Abj. You can make it in ondo too.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by Nobody: 8:50am On Jan 27, 2020
uboma:
@Sapphire11,

You did not indicate your present location. Moving to Lagos, there are no guarantees that it will be better off, here it will take some time to build up a customer base. And do you feel that the peeps in Lagos will abandon their Tailors whom they've been transacting with over the years and come to you?

The best bet may not be to relocate to Lagos but to repackage your services. What kind of designs do you see? Are they the ones in vogue at present? Women, especially want to wear the latest dress in town. Do you keep up with the latest fashion?

Look around you and adapt to the needs of your customers.
I'm presently in ondo. I keep up with the trends. Maybe this place isn't for me as I have no connections here
Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by uboma(m): 8:52am On Jan 27, 2020
Sapphire11:

I'm in ondo for now

Ondo state is predominantly a civil servant state. Not a business hub. Are your sewing fees affordable? These may be one of the reasons why you are having less patronage.

Have you contacted the schools within your location to bid the contract of sewing their uniforms?

4 Likes

Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by Nobody: 8:54am On Jan 27, 2020
Sapphire11:

This is promising. Thank you

Believe and trust in yourself. Just move. I'm however sure of the success. if you no dey disappoint o LOL
Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by Nobody: 9:01am On Jan 27, 2020
uboma:

Ondo state is predominantly a civil servant state. Not a business hub. Are your sewing fees affordable? These may be one of the reasons why you are having less patronage.

Have you contacted the schools within your location to bid the contract of sewing their uniforms?
I dont make uniforms, and my prices are very affordable, I even collect really low sometimes just to get myself busy with something
Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by Nobody: 9:01am On Jan 27, 2020
mikezuruki:

Believe and trust in yourself. Just move. I'm however sure of the success. if you no dey disappoint o LOL
Thanks
My potential client grin
Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by Nobody: 9:05am On Jan 27, 2020
OcVoice:
Are you paying rent staying with your parents? If you're not, then stay back and build your clientele. Keep/Save the money you want to come and spend on rent and feeding. Instagram is not the only social media to display your product and get customers. You can use konga, jumia, jiji, Twitter, nairaland, Facebook(pay for public advert for a week.)

Get a catalogue of your designs and your old work. If you don't have it, build it. Get a business card. Move from office to office(banks, government offices, public and private sectors). Show them your catalogue. Talk to people in your church too. Let your price be a bit reduced than what they sew. Make your designs very different, beautiful and catchy.

Always be polite, dress well....put on your design, smile and be bold and outspoken.

Some designers are in Lagos struggling and yet nothing. You can make it where you are, just apply the basics∆ and pray well!

Sorry, I thought it was Abj. You can make it in ondo too.
I remember travelling to IB to get materials for people in my unit where I serve in church, these people legit moved the materials from my shop, they said because I cannot make complete outfit for 1k. I was disappointed to think I didnt gain one naira ontop the fabrics. I am the only female in their midst o, yet none has patronized my work.
Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by ifyalways(f): 9:28am On Jan 27, 2020
There are usually some tailoring shop owners who employ tailors on a kind of contract and offer them accomodation too BUT you have to be really GOOD for you to get that.

I know many of such madams who have zero sewing skills but have a shop. They charge as much as 25K for a dress, pay the tailor that will sew it 7 to 10K for each dress they make so you earn by number of dresses you sew. Unfortunately,Ivorians and Beninoise are usually the favorite because they are very good ,committed,work effectively without supervision and respect agreement. A Nigerian will scheme to take your clients from you by contacting your clients behind your back, run down your business by taking impromptu off days to attend her grand fathers niece naming ceremony , steal your materials to sew for their family and friends and other nonsence.

Why dont you showcase your works on Nld? Distance is no barrier if you are really good. People will patronise you.

13 Likes

Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by ewawumi(f): 9:53am On Jan 27, 2020
Distance isn't really a barrier, its about the quality of your output. Don't be surprised mist lagosians like me don't sew their clothes in Lagos. My tailor is in Ilorin, and we still do business together often. Those your friends in Lagos who can connect you to potential clients can still do so while you are in ondo. The money you will use in moving can still help move your business forward while i n ondo. Tell your friends and families to bring money for material and sew trendy styles for them while they model for you in return. Repackage what you do and you can make it anywhere.

However, its also not a bad idea to move out if tour comfort zone. If you will be moving to Lagos, I will advise you also think of what else to combine with your fashion designing cosagosians no dey get one income source o.

All the beat in your final decision.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by Richy4(m): 4:06pm On Jan 27, 2020
Sapphire11:

Hmmm!!! U might be surprised those friends that you think you've got there might not give you a second glance when you get there asking for help.

I might be wrong though but if I were to be in your shoes I won't bank on anyone that lives in Lagos. Most of them are unreliable... A friend that u know, once he/she sets his foot in Lagos, the change kicks in..

I will suggest that you search for a place that will employ u first, Find out what the fashion industry feels like in that city, stay like 2 yrs getting used to the city and how your employer was making it before setting up your own.. with that u can easily know what you did wrong while in your home town and correct it when you starts your own.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by piippa(m): 6:25am On Jan 28, 2020
Marketing Skills is one of the first Skills an Entrepreneur should have.

There are people who are not that good with sewing but they get quality clients.

First of all, I'll tell you to relocate.

For you to be able to get a trial from someone who is loyal to his/her tailor you need to show them what will impress them.

Just improve your marketing and communication skills.

Tip:

For marketing purposes, get cute pictures of Clothes you have done and even the ones you have not done, Make a small catalogue with your fashion name and also make a couple of fliers if you can.

With these tools start approaching people ( quality people) , give some your catalogue and give some the fliers.

Remember that you made all the clothes in your catalogue, talk like a master.

And remember that after talking like a master you should deliver like one too. If you are not too sure of the quality of delivery then outsource to someone far better than you.

This is a few tip I can give sha, don't have much time.
Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by sisisioge: 7:32am On Jan 28, 2020
Move.

People are always searching for affordable tailors here. Just make sure that your work is neat and affordable and you would soon become too easy.

An easier strategy... Once in, get your cute friends to buy 2 materials each and sew them for free for them. They would wear these dresses/outfits to work(sells faster than church) to start the unconscious campaign for you. Good luck.
Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jan 28, 2020
sisisioge:
Move.

People are always searching for affordable tailors here. Just make sure that your work is neat and affordable and you would soon become too easy.

An easier strategy... Once in, get your cute friends to buy 2 materials each and sew them for free for them. They would wear these dresses/outfits to work(sells faster than church) to start the unconscious campaign for you. Good luck.
Thank you. My uncle has suggested free accommodation in his house. So I'd use the money meant for rent to hire some models or celebs I can afford to model for me
Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jan 28, 2020
piippa:
Marketing Skills is one of the first Skills an Entrepreneur should have.

There are people who are not that good with sewing but they get quality clients.

First of all, I'll tell you to relocate.

For you to be able to get a trial from someone who is loyal to his/her tailor you need to show them what will impress them.

Just improve your marketing and communication skills.

Tip:

For marketing purposes, get cute pictures of Clothes you have done and even the ones you have not done, Make a small catalogue with your fashion name and also make a couple of fliers if you can.

With these tools start approaching people ( quality people) , give some your catalogue and give some the fliers.

Remember that you made all the clothes in your catalogue, talk like a master.

And remember that after talking like a master you should deliver like one too. If you are not too sure of the quality of delivery then outsource to someone far better than you.

This is a few tip I can give sha, don't have much time.
Thank you. I'd move smiley
Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by sisisioge: 4:05pm On Jan 28, 2020
Sapphire11:

Thank you. My uncle has suggested free accommodation in his house. So I'd use the money meant for rent to hire some models or celebs I can afford to model for me

No o...dont be that extravagant at the beginning. Start with your cute friends, use their network both online and offline...look good too...rely on the word of the mouth...join the most happening church around you and join their workers group...you will be friend...you will.

1 Like

Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by waley007(m): 6:39pm On Jan 28, 2020
Kindly reply your email
Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jan 28, 2020
waley007:
Kindly reply your email
I lost the email. Pls mail me here juliuselizabeth86@gmaildotcom
Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by ewawumi(f): 8:47pm On Jan 28, 2020
Sapphire11:

Celebs to model for you? Aunty, when you get to Lagos, beep me. I'd get you willing models who wants to get professional pictures to submit to agencies. Just get the outfit ready, and an affordable photographer too.
Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jan 28, 2020
ewawumi:

Celebs to model for you? Aunty, when you get to Lagos, beep me. I'd get you willing models who wants to get professional pictures to submit to agencies. Just get the outfit ready, and an affordable photographer too.
Waoh
I'd be glad to use them, thank you. I'll get in touch
Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by xrayj(m): 9:16pm On Jan 28, 2020
Richy4:

Hmmm!!! U might be surprised those friends that you think you've got there might not give you a second glance when you get there asking for help.
I might be wrong
U are not wrong at all
They will certainly disappoint her
No be humans...
Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by waley007(m): 9:54pm On Jan 28, 2020
Sapphire11:

I lost the email. Pls mail me here juliuselizabeth86@gmaildotcom
sent
Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos? Urgent Please! by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jan 28, 2020
waley007:
sent
Pls remove my email from the quote. Thank you

(1) (Reply)

Divorce Advice And Nairaland / Cleaning And Sanitary Products Shop / Scammers New Ways At The ATM Booth, My Experience!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.