Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,813 members, 7,817,358 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? (29830 Views)

What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? / IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba / What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Starkid3010(m): 9:58am On Jan 29, 2020
No grin
So, I guess he ran mad when he's still in junior class... When everything is simple.
He hasn't started reading self...
He's not started bio and others...
He hasn't started reading cjem 101 pharmacology,moore ,anatomy and others mad sub...
So book didn't make him run mad
Na those mama wey e dey abuse for market
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by victorazyvictor(m): 10:02am On Jan 29, 2020
ojaysam25:
Hello Nairalanders

This issue has been bothering me for a while now......I had this friend who during our school days was so brilliant,in fact this friend of mine wrote his common entrance at primary 4....at jss1 he wrote his junior WAEC....

Back them we nickname him The "guru"....There was no time I visited him at home,that I wouldn't see him reading,this guy can read from morning till night.....though I was irritated with his attitude but I kept on admiring him because there is nothing in this world that this guy don't know....there is no words in the dictionary that is new to him... he was respected among our peers.....

Suddenly, he was no longer communicating with us with plain English,any small question will always be meant with grammar.. In fact this guy will go to the market to buy something and will begin to communicate with the market people with grammar...they we just be looking at him like a madman...

Then,one fateful day according to his mother,he ran out with a dictionary screaming "loquacious"all effort to calm him was in vain
the guy is in the asylum right now.....

This episode has left me confuse.....expert in the house can you help me out.....

CAN A PERSON LOSE HIS SANITY DUE TO EXCESSIVE READING??

I don't think is possible because researchers told us that we only use 30% of our brain capacity.
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Nobody: 10:03am On Jan 29, 2020
ojaysam25:
Hello Nairalanders

This issue has been bothering me for a while now......I had this friend who during our school days was so brilliant,in fact this friend of mine wrote his common entrance at primary 4....at jss1 he wrote his junior WAEC....

Back them we nickname him The "guru"....There was no time I visited him at home,that I wouldn't see him reading,this guy can read from morning till night.....though I was irritated with his attitude but I kept on admiring him because there is nothing in this world that this guy don't know....there is no words in the dictionary that is new to him... he was respected among our peers.....

Suddenly, he was no longer communicating with us with plain English,any small question will always be meant with grammar.. In fact this guy will go to the market to buy something and will begin to communicate with the market people with grammar...they we just be looking at him like a madman...

Then,one fateful day according to his mother,he ran out with a dictionary screaming "loquacious"all effort to calm him was in vain

This episode has left me confuse.....expert in the house can you help me out.....

Reading too much can't make you run mad! You mentioned there is nothing in this world he doesn't know, that's probably why he's going crazy. There are answers in this world that are just meant to be unknown, trying to understand or dig deeper than you should will be of terrible consequences.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ekerintee: 10:05am On Jan 29, 2020
I have been privilege to study in Nigeria and also abroad and I can come to conclusion that studying in Nigeria is one of the hardest exercise in the world.i don't think people read as strainous as we do in Nigeria .you see somebody sit down from morning to night reading ,no exercise ,nothing but reading .it's not suppose to be so,sometimes it has sad effect .even abroad,they advise you take a break after some hours of reading and it's not advised to read for a long time at a stretch without break.we read so much in Nigeria and most annoying is that what we read are not relevant and applicable to the nigerian environment.A Nigeria student read to pass ,a Nigeria student is under duress to pass and sees failure as a shame .failing an exam abroad does not mean you are failure and not really a big deal .it's in Nigeria you see somebody writing an exam 5 times in 5 years and also joined to it ,the person is been frustrated by lecturers ,environment.the society sees him or her as a failure .
Personally ,I believe that excessive reading can strain the brain cells ,the brain is like a machine and even machine after prolong use is advised to be shot down.i have seen professors of mathematics behave like mad men ,itsbecause they are not aware of what is going on around them,somebody can be on the road and not be aware of people or things around him,this I because he is thinking of some things he read.sometimes I have passed my bus stop because I was thinking of something's and could not even see or know.i believe that everyone will agree with me that if this becomes a lifestyle ,this is the beginning of madness .when you see somebody talking to himself ,it's is the begining of madness .over exciting the brain through reading ,drugs can also lead to madness.i also have a good friend in Nigeria ,he failed some exams ,he had an extra year at school and one day I saw him mad on the street of Lagos .the funniest thing was he recognized me and even called my name ,so madness could be partial.people may not really be totally mad but in a different world we don't really understand .so my advice is for us to read and have intervals to rest,social life .a balanced life,the funniest thing is that white people don't read the way nigerians read,ask people who schooled abroad .

I quite agree with you,thinking too much might be a factor not reading...Thanks[/quote]

4 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by OyinO: 10:06am On Jan 29, 2020
ipobarethieves:
Visit General Hospital and talk to a Doc. 2, prepare a timetable. Stop rushing urself to read a week to ur exam.U cant be Chuks, Bola/sheu dat read round the clock.Find a quiet place like library,

Insane comment and advice.
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Kalashnikov102(m): 10:07am On Jan 29, 2020
Sure! I lost my elder brother through excessive reading.. He never did drugs or alcohol books were addiction to him which started making him mentally imbalance till we lost him through the cold hands of death sad

2 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by OyinO: 10:09am On Jan 29, 2020
ChieduJoshua081:
Your brain is more than a super computer. You don't yet understand the capacity of the human brain that's why you are scared. As I am now, i can never believe this stupid concept that "too much reading can make somebody mad naturally" it is a lie from people who can't read as much as you do or people who don't want you to know more than them.

Your brain can take any amount of information you need to take in and no matter the information you take in, when you die scientists will still tell you that you haven't used up to 10% of your brain. Although this has been said by some other scientist to be a very popular science myth but there may be some fact in it.

Juju and evil powers is very common in this part of the world so if you like you can believe it but a fact is it may be the cause of this your guy's misfortune.

That somebody choked and died while eating food does not mean we should not eat to our satisfaction.

That somebody drove a car and had an accident does not mean we should not drive cars again.

That somebody read and lost his mind does not mean we should not read as much as much as possible.

That somebody who had genius level IQ became mad does not mean we should not strive for world class intelligence.

Stop personalizing things and go out there and read all you can. We dont need more ignorant people anymore.

More people die of ignorance than of over learning or reading.

Juju doesn't make people mad. It's a natural state of mental disorder. You started beautifully then became superstitious due to Nollywood brainwashing. Madness is a global occurrence and phenomenon not restricted or attributed to this part of the world. You are as ignorant as the person you are trying to call ignorant. Evil is also a global phenomenon not only prevalent in one region of earth. Stop the self hate, inferiority complex and mental backwardness. In fact, Isaiah 45:7 says that your God created good and evil. Did he create it only for this part of the world?
Humans go mad for various reasons including genetic factors, stress factors and mental sickness or disease.
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Starkid3010(m): 10:10am On Jan 29, 2020
YorubaPrince:
Then all the citizens of the developed and advanced nations should have lost their sanity! grin
especially those Chinese

3 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ume1000: 10:10am On Jan 29, 2020
One can only loose one's mind through craming not reading per say which is why Nigeria is still backward educationally majority of Nigerians read to pass not to understand it's like trying to know everyone in Nigeria at ones

2 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by galantjoe(m): 10:12am On Jan 29, 2020
Yes. Too much reading causes mad condition what the psychologist called PSYCHOSIS. It is advisable to have rest whenever you re stressed. Stress is not only when you re working but also when you re reading. Because during reading your brain is being stressed. Psychotic condition is usually temporary and it can lead to further mental disorder. Having sex and reaching orgasm is another ways to refresh stressed brain.

Even super computers are also been stressed, then it will start to function abnormally until it is allow to cool and restart or refresh again. that is why it is necessary that they have air conditioner, fan and other cooling system in order to maintain their optimum uses. So human brain is not an exception, it also need rest and refreshment when it is bored.

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by CorleonOfSicily: 10:14am On Jan 29, 2020
[quote author=Shibaraba post=86174630]From your topics.... You sef Don dey mental

mental.

The way you answer this question shows serious insanity on your side. I advice you see a psychiatrist ASAP!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Truthbites: 10:16am On Jan 29, 2020
A305:
There is a saying that; "Neurous that fire together, wires together."

I'm coming let me put on the Gen, I will come and continue.

I'm back!

The brain is a most sophisticated and powerful computer so to speak. For the brain to function effectively, it needs to be exercised and be given its food.

When you do things repeatedly, the brain gets used to it and when those specific neurons keeps firing over time, it sort of burns out when that happens, this is when you say you are BORED and the brain starts to feel sleepy to knock you out so it rest to rivatalize that bored spot. When you don't, you stressing the brain even more hence, it might malfunction(psychosis).

Now what is the brain food?

Orgasms, Yes, you read that right. Have sex or mas turbate. This is the food the brain needs to function. Why?

Achieving orgasm is the only brain activity that stimulates all part of the brain and when you done, All part of the brain relaxes as well. So, Orgasm is what to the brain what food is, to the stomach.

So if you use your brain excessively, then try to have sex or ma sturbate to reach orgasm.

So people who don't have orgasm will become mental or dull? I am not understanding

2 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 10:17am On Jan 29, 2020
Starkid3010:
No grin
So, I guess he ran mad when he's still in junior class... When everything is simple.
He hasn't started reading self...
He's not started bio and others...
He hasn't started reading cjem 101 pharmacology,moore ,anatomy and others mad sub...
So book didn't make him run mad
Na those mama wey e dey abuse for market
he ran mad after he was through with his HND program....
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Hermionegranger(f): 10:19am On Jan 29, 2020
ojaysam25:
OK,generally what causes madness....I find it hard to believe your theory that some people have madness in their gene....if its in their gene they would have pass it to their offsprings...but most of this mad people give birth to normal children....@coldie
Mental disorders are hereditary eg Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder. I think(not 100% sure though since I'm not an expert) it has to do with the parents having an imbalance of a hormone that causes them to have a mental illness and then passing the hormonal imbalance and consequently the mental illness on to one or more of their children. The children may not experience it at first but it would eventually occur. Only constant medication can make the illness manageable

2 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Nobody: 10:19am On Jan 29, 2020
grossintel:
Reading too much can't make you run mad! You mentioned there is nothing in this world he doesn't know, that's probably why he's going crazy. There are answers in this world that are just meant to be unknown, trying to understand or dig deeper than you should will be of terrible consequences.
Reading without adequate rest would cause brain fatigue, that in itself may make one lose sanity especially if there are other factors.

On the other hand one of the symptoms of mania is exibiting "too much energy" which may be manifested as "reading too much" or dancing nonstop depending on what the maniac likes. So its hard to tell sometimes if "reading too much" is a symptom rather than the cause of mania.

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by logiktech(m): 10:20am On Jan 29, 2020
Mad oo
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 10:22am On Jan 29, 2020
Kalashnikov102:
Sure! I lost my elder brother through excessive reading.. He never did drugs or alcohol books were addiction to him which started making him mentally imbalance till we lost him through the cold hands of death sad
so was it the reading that killed him
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Softenergy(m): 10:27am On Jan 29, 2020
Actually this is an old women tale.
Here is a life story, my maternal uncle who retired from NNPC, after graduation from University of Ife,came home on a weekend, and on Sunday did not went to church, but went to town to buy some newspapers to read.
He was relaxing on his father easy chair outside their premises which faced our village square reading those newspapers, unknown to him, his mother's friends who came back from the church had form a small crowd, debating among themselves that they heard from the mother that her son had finished reading books, should one not think that what he was doing now,will not result to him going mad.
It was then that his mother ran and snatched the newspaper from his hands, shouting Obijiofor, Obijiofor our son, was it it sin we sent you to school to read book, you read your primary school books, college book, your read Cambridge, you read university, now you're reading the ones that will cause you to go mad, Oburuogwu ogaghiere. That means if it was juju it will not manifest.
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Exodora: 10:28am On Jan 29, 2020
ojaysam25:
Hello Nairalanders

The problem is not just excess reading but over working the brain.
Watch this movie "Brain On Fire". That is exactly what happened to your friend.

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Starkid3010(m): 10:28am On Jan 29, 2020
ojaysam25:

he ran mad after he was through with his HND program....
not even university grin despite being a guru in his ss class he ended up in poly grin grin
I see no brain or a genius here....
Note: he ran mad due to nothing but his arroganc.
Like you said up there,he is proud, na those mama wey e dey abuse make m mad

3 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 10:30am On Jan 29, 2020
Hermionegranger:
Mental disorders are hereditary eg Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder. I think(not 100% sure though since I'm not an expert) it has to do with the parents having an imbalance of a hormone that causes them to have a mental illness and then passing the hormonal imbalance and consequently the mental illness on to one or more of their children. The children may not experience it at first but it would eventually occur. Only constant medication can make the illness manageable

Thanks.....but do you think excessive reading can also be a factor?
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by GracyGreat: 10:31am On Jan 29, 2020
Hmm, this is a critical issue.

Dear Nairalanders,

Please I need your help.

I am conducting a survey on career awareness and development amongst youth.

Please help fill the survey. Your honest responses would greatly help this research.

Kindly click the link below to fill

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GW9RQZH

Thank you.
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Hermionegranger(f): 10:32am On Jan 29, 2020
shadeyinka:

His kind of insanity had always been with him. It helped him to concentrate (too much on little details) that made him initially stand out as brilliant. Unfortunately, it robbed him of his normal relationship with people and balance.

Have you noticed it's rare to see a child below 7 years old having insanity problems?
There are a lot of autistic children below the age of 7. I wouldn't call them insane but their mental development isn't the same with their peers

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 10:34am On Jan 29, 2020
Starkid3010:
not even university grin despite being a guru in his ss class he ended up in poly grin grin
I see no brain or a genius here....
Note: he ran mad due to nothing but his arroganc.
Like you said up there,he is proud, na those mama wey e dey abuse make m mad
lol....the stress one encounter in poly academically is more than uni....
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Greatfullheart: 10:37am On Jan 29, 2020
ojaysam25:

reading is something you should enjoy....forcing yourself to read,they might be complications....
wow that Was The Reason why I Had Unsuccessful Academics

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Khaleell001(m): 10:42am On Jan 29, 2020
The way our brain is wired is not meant to read everything and anything. it should be for What is useful.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by vincentjk(m): 10:43am On Jan 29, 2020
ojaysam25:

hilarious....he could still solve maths at that state...lol..���

Yea, how he gets the formulas and equation surprises me till date

2 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Hermionegranger(f): 10:44am On Jan 29, 2020
ojaysam25:

Thanks.....but do you think excessive reading can also be a factor?
Well, it depends. I think the fact that someone is able to do something like that is a form of mental illness. Maybe he was born with autism. Autism sometimes makes you do tasks repeatedly without taking breaks...like your friend's reading habits.

Reading excessively can't make you mad...I read a lot too. But you have to take breaks from reading and lead a normal life too. If someone has a mental breakdown while reading, it's because of stress and trying to push a lot of information into the brain within a short time. It could also be a trigger to an already existing mental illness the person didn't know he/she has.

All I've said can't be take as correct o because I'm not an expert

3 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 10:48am On Jan 29, 2020
Khaleell001:
The way our brain is wired is not meant to read everything and anything.
it should be for What is useful.
yea...but some iquisitive fellow wants to know everything under the sun....they are books that are not advisable to read though like"seven book of moses"
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 10:49am On Jan 29, 2020
Hermionegranger:
Well, it depends. I think the fact that someone is able to do something like that is a form of mental illness. Maybe he was born with autism. Autism sometimes makes you do tasks repeatedly without taking breaks...like your friend's reading habits.

Reading excessively can't make you mad...I read a lot too. But you have to take breaks from reading and lead a normal life too. If someone has a mental breakdown while reading, it's because of stress and trying to push a lot of information into the brain within a short time. It could also be a trigger to an already existing mental illness the person didn't know he/she has.

All I've said can't be take as correct o because I'm not an expert
Thanks sir

2 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by redsun(m): 11:01am On Jan 29, 2020
It is one of the side effect of African education,reading without praticalising.

it is same as reading the bible and Quran,everything seems like myth,yet you are supposedly educated.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Nobody: 11:09am On Jan 29, 2020
Yes it can,too much reading and not getting enough sleep (rest)can drive one demented alright.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Lecturer On My Girl For Sex / Oluwole Oluwabukunmi Got A1 In 9 Subjects In WAEC & Scored 324 In JAMB / I Was Really Suprised By Jamb With 307 As My Score

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.