Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,213 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:03 AM

Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? (29801 Views)

What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? / IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba / What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jan 29, 2020
ojaysam25:

I'm really serious about it...in fact whenever I'm reading and my head aches....I stop immediately.
Medical Classics
In terms of factors that led to the illness Cervantes is clear: because Don Quixote read so many chivalry novels, “his brain dried up and this way he came to lose his sanity,” which he only recovers at the end of his life.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2072031/
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ume1000: 3:07pm On Jan 29, 2020
justnock:
Too much of everything is BAD
too much of anything

2 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by midnighter(f): 3:12pm On Jan 29, 2020

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by toprealman: 3:20pm On Jan 29, 2020
midnighter:

Yes! Youve never heard of hyperoxia?

Too much oxygen is terrible for your lungs o
"In medicine, hyperoxia refers to excess oxygen in the lungs or other body tissues, which can be caused by breathing air or oxygen at pressures greater than normal atmospheric pressure
Anyways I have a new personal doctor.......deal?
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jan 29, 2020
And all the professors in Nigeria haven't gone mad yet?
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Ominimercy(m): 3:29pm On Jan 29, 2020
ChieduJoshua081:
Your brain is more than a super computer. You don't yet understand the capacity of the human brain that's why you are scared. As I am now, i can never believe this stupid concept that "too much reading can make somebody mad naturally" it is a lie from people who can't read as much as you do or people who don't want you to know more than them.

Your brain can take any amount of information you need to take in and no matter the information you take in, when you die scientists will still tell you that you haven't used up to 10% of your brain. Although this has been said by some other scientist to be a very popular science myth but there may be some fact in it.

Juju and evil powers is very common in this part of the world so if you like you can believe it but a fact is it may be the cause of this your guy's misfortune.

That somebody choked and died while eating food does not mean we should not eat to our satisfaction.

That somebody drove a car and had an accident does not mean we should not drive cars again.

That somebody read and lost his mind does not mean we should not read as much as much as possible.

That somebody who had genius level IQ became mad does not mean we should not strive for world class intelligence.

Stop personalizing things and go out there and read all you can. We dont need more ignorant people anymore.

More people die of ignorance than of over learning or reading.
Fact!

2 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 3:31pm On Jan 29, 2020
midnighter:

So your actual reason for opening this thread was to satisfy your revenge on the insane chap?
he was my friend,naturally I feel sad about it....the reason I open this thread is not about his madness,but what I perceive might have cause it.....
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Thazard(m): 3:44pm On Jan 29, 2020
Coldie:

The boy who ran mad do a deeper research about him and his relatives if noone has any history of mental disorders.

There's a possibility that the boy might be adopted
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by David2O(m): 4:26pm On Jan 29, 2020
toprealman:

"In medicine, hyperoxia refers to excess oxygen in the lungs or other body tissues, which can be caused by breathing air or oxygen at pressures greater than normal atmospheric pressure
High pressure due to altitude?
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by orisa37: 6:06pm On Jan 29, 2020
Ask Prof Ishmael AKINTOLA. He has just been very Mad with be Amotekun.
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by orisa37: 6:09pm On Jan 29, 2020
Ask Prof Ishmael AKINTOLA. He has just been very Mad with Amotekun.
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by dangoteinlaw: 6:12pm On Jan 29, 2020
Coldie:

I know somebody who is diabetic and mistakenly injured himself the wound was as if it wasn't healing, guess what they blamed it on?
their old grannny at the village lol
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Legendguru: 6:45pm On Jan 29, 2020
No
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by midnighter(f): 6:57pm On Jan 29, 2020
ojaysam25:

he was my friend,naturally I feel sad about it....the reason I open this thread is not about his madness,but what I perceive might have cause it.....

Okay.
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Czartega(m): 7:04pm On Jan 29, 2020
ojaysam25:
Hello Nairalanders

This issue has been bothering me for a while now......I had this friend who during our school days was so brilliant,in fact this friend of mine wrote his common entrance at primary 4....at jss1 he wrote his junior WAEC....

Back them we nickname him The "guru"....There was no time I visited him at home,that I wouldn't see him reading,this guy can read from morning till night.....though I was irritated with his attitude but I kept on admiring him because there is nothing in this world that this guy don't know....there is no words in the dictionary that is new to him... he was respected among our peers.....

Suddenly, he was no longer communicating with us with plain English,any small question will always be meant with grammar.. In fact this guy will go to the market to buy something and will begin to communicate with the market people with grammar...they we just be looking at him like a madman...

Then,one fateful day according to his mother,he ran out with a dictionary screaming "loquacious"all effort to calm him was in vain
the guy is in the asylum right now.....

This episode has left me confuse.....expert in the house can you help me out.....

CAN A PERSON LOSE HIS SANITY DUE TO EXCESSIVE READING??

grin grin funniest shit I've seen today
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by mechanics(m): 7:07pm On Jan 29, 2020
Yes o, it happened to my senior then in secondary school, he ran mad after reading over night although, he took much of coffee just to stay awake.
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by midnighter(f): 8:00pm On Jan 29, 2020
toprealman:

It refers to overexposure of cells to oxygen no matter the pressure.

The reason your source mentioned "pressures greater than normal atmospheric pressure" was because hyperbaric conditions are often used as a treatment method. Higher pressure is not the only way oxygen can become toxic but it is a common one.

Lol are you sure you can afford me? cheesy
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by efavour: 8:26pm On Jan 29, 2020
ojaysam25:
Hello Nairalanders

This issue has been bothering me for a while now......I had this friend who during our school days was so brilliant,in fact this friend of mine wrote his common entrance at primary 4....at jss1 he wrote his junior WAEC....

Back them we nickname him The "guru"....There was no time I visited him at home,that I wouldn't see him reading,this guy can read from morning till night.....though I was irritated with his attitude but I kept on admiring him because there is nothing in this world that this guy don't know....there is no words in the dictionary that is new to him... he was respected among our peers.....

Suddenly, he was no longer communicating with us with plain English,any small question will always be meant with grammar.. In fact this guy will go to the market to buy something and will begin to communicate with the market people with grammar...they we just be looking at him like a madman...

Then,one fateful day according to his mother,he ran out with a dictionary screaming "loquacious"all effort to calm him was in vain
the guy is in the asylum right now.....

This episode has left me confuse.....expert in the house can you help me out.....

CAN A PERSON LOSE HIS SANITY DUE TO EXCESSIVE READING?? Its It's possible, the brain can break down with too much activity just like any machine, I worked in assisted living, I noticed that most of the elderly people that has alzheimers are mostly top top professionals, heart surgeons, profs etc, all those professions that require serious mental activity, those activities stresses out the brain.while the ordinary people will still be alert even in their 90s.

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by prepresh(f): 9:26pm On Jan 29, 2020
The fact remains that it is not everyone that likes your success, maybe the wicked people have seen his future and decide to destroy him by making him mad. Reading can only help you get better, it's a mental exercise.
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Analysiscorner: 9:51pm On Jan 29, 2020
People have that belief even in bible times. A king, could be agrippa or felix in the acts of the apostles told Paul that too much reading had made him mad.
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jan 29, 2020
ojaysam25:

CAN A PERSON LOSE HIS SANITY DUE TO EXCESSIVE READING??

Using myself as a case study, I think YES

My mom was training to be one of the best students in Nigeria (So as to unlock scholarships opportunities and etc)

I was always reading.

My schedule for the day was always to wake up, read, eat, read and read and then eat and then read until night time, she'll wake me up at midnight to read again and I'll still read early morning around 5am.

It started affecting me

My classmates and teachers noticed that I was running mad slowly because I was always playing with my books and pens and I don't usually talk to anyone.

I talk and play with my books (Mother brainswashed me into saying my books are my friends and I took it literally)

Imagine I was making jokes and laughing with my books, classmates were avoiding me like a plague

They later reported me to my mom about my attitude.

My mom in turn said it's good lol and that I should keep it up

I wasn't the brightest in my class, in fact I started digressing in my academics because I had my own secret issue

My mom later eased up on me seeing that her principle wasn't working but I was still not allowed to have friends and I was always busy with my books

Above all I'm not still very normal, and I actually grew into not liking to reading much.

So Yes too much reading can make one mad

One of the reasons why I grew into not liking to read much was because I heard a similar story of a guy who read too much and later ran crazy

I diagnosed myself and predicted my future and the rest they say is history

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jan 29, 2020
ojaysam25:

I'm kinda scared right now cuz I read virtually everyday....maybe like one say earlier to much of everything is truly bad....

Don't be scared.

I know about a lecturer He's always awake every night till dawn reading.

This man would switch on his generator switch on the TV(with a active DSTV subscription) , the ceiling fan and be charging his phone and then go sit outside on a plastic chair leaving everything running inside.

If he wasn't a lecturer and if I didn't know his worth, I would have concluded that he did money rituals lol

My whole point is that you can always set a limit for yourself.

Learning is good but too much of everything is bad

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 10:49pm On Jan 29, 2020
kelvinrhs:

Don't be scared.

This man would switch on his generator switch on the TV(with a active DSTV subscription) , the ceiling fan and be charging his phone and then go sit outside on a plastic chair leaving everything running inside.

If he wasn't a lecturer and if I didn't know his worth, I would have concluded that he did money rituals lol

True....
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by toprealman: 11:40pm On Jan 29, 2020
midnighter:

It refers to overexposure of cells to oxygen no matter the pressure.

The reason your source mentioned "pressures greater than normal atmospheric pressure" was because hyperbaric conditions are often used as a treatment method. Higher pressure is not the only way oxygen can become toxic but it is a common one.

Lol are you sure you can afford me? cheesy
Haba.....the good ones are not that hard to "maintain".....no?
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Dayoebe(m): 12:02am On Jan 30, 2020
Shibaraba:
From your topics.... You sef Don dey mental

Modified. ...
In my days in Futa people ran mad during exams. We attributed it to excessive reading. But alas research made us know that they had other problems.
Reading cannot make you mad. Although I fit dey quote formulas and theorems for road with obvious gestures ,it doesn't mean I'm mental.

By the way do you know that every human has at least a minute of madness everyday?
Smoke igbo join e go help you increase am to one hour. Smoke Colorado join e go increase to one day
Add Nigeria matter e go increase to a week
Add cocaine join upgrade to one month.
Make my mamas, awon iya mi oshoromoniga, add hand join it's a lifetime sumtin .
One love.

We still dey jack like no tomorrow in FUTA, yet no casualties.
there are other reason for mental illness. Scientifically, its absurd to believe over-reading can cause madness
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Nobody: 12:12am On Jan 30, 2020
Dayoebe:

We still dey jack like no tomorrow in FUTA, yet no casualties.
there are other reason for mental illness. Scientifically, its absurd to believe over-reading can cause madness
Pele greatest futarian...
How the place now? Shey that toba still dey csc dept. Or my friend Dr arome. Good times.
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by makethegrades: 3:30am On Jan 30, 2020
Dayoebe:

*We still dey jack like no tomorrow in FUTA, yet no casualties.*

I swear down same for here .
Imagine if over reading will cause someone to run mad then that means that about 95% of medical student will be mad by now.

Fear fear fear it can kill than anything. Just control your mind and thoughts, I wonder what will ever make u to run mad.

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by makethegrades: 3:47am On Jan 30, 2020
ojaysam25:

I'm kinda scared right now cuz I read virtually everyday....maybe like one say earlier to much of everything is truly bad....

Ojeysam I sense that it's fear that motivates u most and that is very bad u have to overcome such attitude.

To be frank it's people like u that will know they haven't read for an exam coming up the next morning and they will be afraid to dedicate their time to read for long hours in last minute jacking because they are afraid of running mad.
If reading makes one run mad then it means Einstein was mad, my grand pa was mad, Newton was mad, Abraham Lincoln was mad, Thomas Jefferson was mad and most professors then will be mad by now.

Reading that strengthens the mind is what makes someone mad?

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by Teknoteableblog: 6:12am On Jan 30, 2020
Don't worry ur friend would still be okay. I am like that guy! Like seriously?...yes! In my class every body warned me to stop that i would get mad. But i never believed them and never will! Me and my bestie read up to like 16-18hrs a day. The only difference between me and ur friend is i don't speak grammar. And this was because am a science student. Let me tell u , ur friend might not be mad, but may be u and his relations. Maybe that crazy! I remeberd when i used to solve mathematics in the air everyone will scream MAD MAN STOP IT. Yeah to me a black board and chalk will just appear and i will begin to solve. Trust me every answer i got was correct. And even read in my dream and when i applies it in real life am correct. What am saying can not be mad from reading except he was taking drugs to read. U can check out my blog @ www.teknoteable..com

1 Like

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by toprealman: 7:04am On Jan 30, 2020
kelvinrhs:

Don't be scared.

You think the man is Ok up there right?
Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by David2O(m): 8:05am On Jan 30, 2020
Teknoteableblog:
Don't worry ur friend would still be okay. I am like that guy! Like seriously?...yes! In my class every body warned me to stop that i would get mad. But i never believed them and never will! Me and my bestie read up to like 16-18hrs a day. The only difference between me and ur friend is i don't speak grammar. And this was because am a science student. Let me tell u , ur friend might not be mad, but may be u and his relations. Maybe that crazy! I remeberd when i used to solve mathematics in the air everyone will scream MAD MAN STOP IT. Yeah to me a black board and chalk will just appear and i will begin to solve. Trust me every answer i got was correct. And even read in my dream and when i applies it in real life am correct. What am saying can not be mad from reading except he was taking drugs to read. U can check out my blog @ www.teknoteable..com
True. I do experience the same imaginary black board scene.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? by ojaysam25(m): 8:32am On Jan 30, 2020
makethegrades:

Ojeysam I sense that it's fear that motivates u most and that is very bad u have to overcome such attitude.

To be frank it's people like u that will know they haven't read for an exam coming up the next morning and they will be afraid to dedicate their time to read for long hours in last minute jacking because they are afraid of running mad.
If reading makes one run mad then it means Einstein was mad, my grand pa was mad, Newton was mad, Abraham Lincoln was mad, Thomas Jefferson was mad and most professors then will be mad by now.

Reading that strengthens the mind is what makes someone mad?
Tufiaka

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Private School Teachers, How Have You Guys Been Coping? / OAU Medicine And Surgery Cut-off Mark 304 / Federal Polytechnic Nekede Post-utme For 2015/2016 Academic Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.