Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,848 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:45 PM

Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts (43533 Views)

NAF Jet Evacuating 350 Nigerians Leaves Egypt For Abuja / Coronavirus: Why Are Western Countries Evacuating Their Citizens From Nigeria? / South Africa Grants Landing Permit To Airline Evacuating Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by 2019elections: 8:05am On Feb 02, 2020
Reading some arguments up there makes mW want to throw up?

How does his identity affect the help from the Nigerian government?

Did the op solicit for personal funding?

Do u mean no Nigerian lives in Wuhan?

Some people are just half intelligent, yet they want to sound smart.

If revealing their names and faces is the only requirement for help, then to hell with the govt. It's d duty of the Nigerian govt to meet d Chinese embassy for list of names of her citizen. Abeg, nairaland no be school assembly wey dem de mark register.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by 2019elections: 8:13am On Feb 02, 2020
Blindersoff:

You will wait till you grow old. He is simply an unserious fellow

Your profile looks familiar. I put it to you that you're a fraudster. If you're not, Kindly upload ur work ID, payslip and a picture of you at work with at least 3 persons.

Do that now. If u can't, then truly you're a fraudster.

3 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by lakesider(m): 8:32am On Feb 02, 2020
WuhanPerson:
Good day everyone,

I am a Nigerian student currently studying at one of Wuhan's universities. Due to privacy concerns i decided to open this account to describe the situation of Nigerians currently in Wuhan in the midst of the corona virus outbreak. This post was necessitated by the following false report attributed to our honorable Minister for information in the Nigerian media:

https://www.nairaland.com/5663594/16-nigerians-chinese-town-hit

1. Only 16 Nigerians in Wuhan?

The total number of Nigerians in Wuhan to my recollection currently stands at over 50 people. We have been able to coordinate ourselves, and support each other in this trying period.

2. We Don't want to leave?

This statement is the bone of contention, and has caused panic in the Wuhan Nigerian community. The Nigerian Population in Wuhan includes students, researchers, and Businessmen, many of whom are with their wives and children. These people are all at risk of getting infected each time they leave their place of residence to find food to eat or water to drink in a city that looks like a ghost town with supplies running out each day.

Right now countries that have successfully evacuated their citizens (South Korea, Kazakhstan, India, Jordan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Japan, Italy, Germany, Indonesia, etc.) have proven the possibility of evacuation without infection. So the question becomes why is our case different?

We are therefore pleading with the Nigerian government to please rescue us from this situation, as we are ready to appease their fears by:

1. Being tested and quarantined on arrival
2. Fund our travel expenses.

We are humans, people who are citizens of a great nation who do not deserve to be publicly sentenced to death by a country we are proud of.

Front Page please, and help us.

So we should believe you because you wrote it on nairaland

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by Blindersoff: 8:36am On Feb 02, 2020
2019elections:

Your profile looks familiar. I put it to you that you're a fraudster. If you're not, Kindly upload ur work ID, payslip and a picture of you at work with at least 3 persons.

Do that now. If u can't, then truly you're a fraudster.

Joblessness at it's peak

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by Izigha(m): 8:37am On Feb 02, 2020
Blindersoff:

I do not know how Nigerians are or think? Nobody asks pertinent questions which would most likely help the OP quicker but everyone just comes on to agree without any proof. Without evidence of some sort this is just gossip as far as i am concerned.

We need to stop acting like brainless people and actually put our brains to good use
no be today, we shoot and ask question later grin
but to be serious a photo from his balcony with not harm him, plus hidding identity in a life and death situation is not helpful
Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by Nobody: 8:38am On Feb 02, 2020
Nigeria.. shitty nation that treats its citizens like crap and foreigners like golden eggs. OP u better find a way to leave mainland China, enter Hong Kong before it becomes impossible to leave the mainland. It has always been all man for himself when it comes to Nigeria's way of doing things.. Save ur self bro while u can

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by Blindersoff: 8:42am On Feb 02, 2020
Izigha:

no be today, we shoot and ask question later grin

The mob mentality. It is a terrible thing. People who ask questions get better informed and when armed with this information are able to render the right kind of assistance.

It is like someone calling 911 and saying I HAVE BEEN SHOT. The 911 operator will not immediately send out a responder but would need to ask questions like,

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN SHOT?
IS THE SHOOTER STILL THERE?
WHAT IS YOUR LOCATION?

In places where order is essential, information is always demanded. Why must Nigerians reason in reverse?

This irks me

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by 2019elections: 8:52am On Feb 02, 2020
Blindersoff:

Joblessness at it's peak

You're trying to be smart but obviously, u aren't.

4 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by Blindersoff: 8:54am On Feb 02, 2020
Some people assume I give attention to every senseless person.
Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by Izigha(m): 8:55am On Feb 02, 2020
GumGum:
Any reasonable person would know that revealing your identity in China during this sensitive period is a bad idea.
not really, if your identity is known it will even ensure your safety.
south Africa is also beating around the bush about evacuating its citizen from Wuhan, so a lady there that want to return call a live radio station and the host hav started putting pressure on the government to get then out
Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by Izigha(m): 9:02am On Feb 02, 2020
Blindersoff:

The mob mentality. It is a terrible thing. People who ask questions get better informed and when armed with this information are able to render the right kind of assistance.

It is like someone calling 911 and saying I HAVE BEEN SHOT. The 911 operator will not immediately send out a responder but would need to ask questions like,

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN SHOT?
IS THE SHOOTER STILL THERE?
WHAT IS YOUR LOCATION?

In places where order is essential, information is always demanded. Why must Nigerians reason in reverse?

This irks me
my guy you get time, I think you have live in yankee for too long. if you call for assistance that you hav been shot in nigger they will probably ask you to put anointing oil on the wound. thats how we roll grin grin
Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by Blindersoff: 9:10am On Feb 02, 2020
Izigha:

my guy you get time, I think you have live in yankee for too long. if you call for assistance that you hav been shot in nigger they will probably ask you to put anointing oil on the wound. thats how we roll grin grin

cheesy grin

That is some crazy Shiit even though I know you are very right on this one. grin

But seriously more responsible intelligence is needed from Nigerians of which I am also one.

We cannot just be like the kid who kept crying wolf when there was none because he had no evidence to show for his alarm raised.

My dad used to tell me that people who know how to ask questions NEVER lose their way and this is very true.

Many Nigerians have lost their way because of this mob mentality. How many minutes would it take to just ask the right questions?
Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by Riwo1daniel(m): 9:14am On Feb 02, 2020
Good morning, your concerns are in line but also, it is not right to insinuate that the government has abandoned Italy citizens in Wuhan.

Though evacuation might not happen soon but FG has advised that those in China adhere strictly to precautionary instructions and also report /keep in touch with the embassy in China.

You can reach out to any of these numbers : Mr Austine Ekeayanwu, Minister Consular and Immigration; +15010266280; Mrs Ayo Luther-Ogbomode, Minister/Political +13716244174 and Mr Lawal Bappah, Minister/Public Communication, +13520156753.

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by Izigha(m): 9:18am On Feb 02, 2020
Independent thinkers are too few in Nigeria, too many people follow the band wagon. A society where the abnormal have become normal, the normal will obliviously becomes the insane
Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by Larryslim(m): 9:27am On Feb 02, 2020
FuckAllTheMODs:
O boy!

Wetin una dey find for that kind place, the name alone sef na something...

It's well, God is with you
That's a very stupid thing to say, you can see she said "Students, researchers".
There can be an outbreak of a virus anywhere, and I'm sure if you were given a Visa to Wuhan last year, you wouldn't have said No but all because of this unfortunate incidence, it's now "Wetin una find for that kind place"
Humans! Spits!

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by maasoap(m): 9:40am On Feb 02, 2020
nakaman:
u never see anytin

Cold and callous. Sometimes, I wonder if things like you are actually humans with feeling or conscience
Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by maasoap(m): 9:45am On Feb 02, 2020
omoadeleye:
I have not finished reading this post but seeing I'm Nigerian studying in Wuhan university, Baba, face your study and don't come home for now.... You can still leave Wuhan and enter another city in China...

Let me assume that you were born in Nigeria and still living in Nigeria. How easily can you leave your current city for another city in Nigeria despite no restrictions or public health challenges? This guy is in far away China. Relocation without proper planning is almost impossible!
Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by Johnsinia(m): 10:10am On Feb 02, 2020
Blindersoff:

There is nothing wicked and insensitive about my comment or request and nobody paid me.

But there is something senseless and stupid when people like you refuse to make the right enquiries or ask pertinent questions in order to know better so you would be in a much better informed position to assist.

Only those who swallow anything they read book line and sinker without asking questions reason the way you do and such people are definitely not smart people
Is that how America and other nations who evacuated their citizens act? Capital NO sir. A responsible government in situation LIKE this ACT fast without asking any questions, this is called RESPONSIVE MEASURES. It is when you responds you can begin to ask all this question but first thing first, respond. I think Nigeria FG has failed her citizen over the years in carrying out proactive approaches to protecting it's citizen. Human life is not their priority but what is more important to them is the next election

3 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by Nobody: 10:17am On Feb 02, 2020
nakaman:
u never see anytin
what if any of ur relatives was among?
Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by Blindersoff: 10:19am On Feb 02, 2020
Johnsinia:
Is that how America and other nations who evacuated their citizens act? Capital NO sir. A responsible government in situation LIKE this ACT fast without asking any questions, this is called RESPONSIVE MEASURES. It is when you responds you can begin to ask all this question but first thing first, respond. I think Nigeria FG has failed her citizen over the years in carrying out proactive approaches to protecting it's citizen. Human life is not their priority but what is more important to them is the next election

Every single government asks questions and those questions are based on information available to them FIRST.

Every citizen of a foreign country in a country not theirs are always advised to register at their embassy in that country (if there is one) so their identity and purpose can be known but many Nigerians still refuse to do so and thus limit information available to the government.

If the government said there are only 16 Nigerians in Wuhan they may be right because that may be the true number known to them at the Nigerian embassy since those actually registered.

Many Nigerians travel illegally or with fake ID thus refuse to register and I can assume this may be the case with the OP which is why he is being so coded with the information being released despite holding a Chinese visa and giving out all his info to the Chinese prior to getting this visa so why the secrecy?

I travel a lot so I know. Many Nigerians are irresponsible and act like they do not know the right thing to do.

For those who would benefit from this info kindly know that it is Mandatory to always register with the Nigerian embassy in the country you are going to or are in otherwise your data in times of need would not be available to be acted upon.

Many Nigerians travel with the mindset that they do not want to return to Nigeria after their stay so hide their identity from their embassy in that country. This is a very wrong practice.

First thing you must do when you land LEGALLY in a foreign country IS TO LOCATE YOUR COUNTRY'S EMBASSY THERE AND REGISTER WITH THEM.

3 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by trilobite: 10:22am On Feb 02, 2020
Riwo1daniel:
Good morning, your concerns are in line but also, it is not right to insinuate that the government has abandoned Italy citizens in Wuhan.

Though evacuation might not happen soon but FG has advised that those in China adhere strictly to precautionary instructions and also report /keep in touch with the embassy in China.

You can reach out to any of these numbers : Mr Austine Ekeayanwu, Minister Consular and Immigration; +15010266280; Mrs Ayo Luther-Ogbomode, Minister/Political +13716244174 and Mr Lawal Bappah, Minister/Public Communication, +13520156753.

We have!!!! Letters have been sent, communication has been made. We applauded the embassy officials for their Swift response by communicating with us, only to be shocked by what the minister said to the media.
It made us realize the audio nature of their initial response.

That was why I directed that Blindersoff guy to the China embassy or the NIDO group if he wants to obtain our information.

We are looking at next steps to take, please anymore suggestions are welcome.

Its beyond painful and sad.
Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by Blindersoff: 10:27am On Feb 02, 2020
trilobite:

We have!!!! Letters have been sent, communication has been made. We applauded the embassy officials for their Swift response by communicating with us, only to be shocked by what the minister said to the media.
It made us realize the audio nature of their initial response.

That was why I directed that Blindersoff guy to the China embassy or the NIDO group if he wants to obtain our information.

We are looking at next steps to take, please anymore suggestions are welcome.

Its beyond painful and sad.

Where and when did you direct me anywhere? Please show

Plus your information should not be with the Chinese Embassy alone because that is not your country.

Did you register with Nigerias embassy in China?
Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by Johnsinia(m): 10:29am On Feb 02, 2020
Blindersoff:

Every single government asks questions and those questions are based on information available to them FIRST.

Every citizen of a foreign country in a country not theirs are always advised to register at their embassy in that country (if there is one) so their identity and purpose can be known but many Nigerians still refuse to do so and thus limit information available to the government.

If the government said there are only 16 Nigerians in Wuhan they may be right because that may be the true number known to them at the Nigerian embassy since those actually registered.

Many Nigerians travel illegally or with fake ID thus refuse to register and I can assume this may be the case with the OP which is why he is being so coded with the information being released despite holding a Chinese visa and giving out all his info to the Chinese prior to getting this visa so why the secrecy?

I travel a lot so I know. Many Nigerians are irresponsible and act like they do not know the right thing to do.

For those who would benefit from this info kindly know that it is Mandatory to always register with the Nigerian embassy in the country you are going to or are in otherwise your data in times of need would not be available to be acted upon.
Am not arguing about the rigistration thing... My concern is on proactive approach to things. Anyway, pray you never find yourself in a situation like this and you will be thinking you have a government... Only to discovered you are on a island all alone. America that I know and ve read of will never hear news like this and the first thing they will do is to start asking questions about biography rather their questions will start with to know the exact location they are in Wuhum and how many they were. It is after they ve been rescued that they will start collecting their information. And most of the times they ended up saving the lives of non Americans. That's how responsive governments should behave because delay is dangerious
Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by Blindersoff: 10:31am On Feb 02, 2020
Johnsinia:
Am not arguing about the rigistration thing... My concern is on proactive approach to things. Any pray you never find yourself in a situation like this and you will be thinking you have a government... Only to discovered you are on a island all alone. America that I know and ve read of will never hear news like this and the first thing they will do is to start asking questions about biography rather their questions will start with to know the exact location they are in Wuhum and how many are they. It will when they ve been rescue that they will start collecting their information. And most of the times they ended up saving the lives of non Americans. That's how responsive governments should behave because delay is dangerious

There can be no Proactive measures properly taken when right information is not available.

If there are 50 Nigerians and the information available is 16 Nigerians the government would not make arrangements for 50 because they are ignorant of 34 people.

This is how it is done anywhere in the world.

In times like this INFORMATION IS BAE

Every single America in a foreign nation always register at their embassy or consulate there so it becomes easy to quickly gather and identify them in times of need.

I am American as well as Nigerian and this is standard practice anywhere I go
Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by Johnsinia(m): 10:37am On Feb 02, 2020
Blindersoff:

There can be no Proactive measures properly taken when right information is not available.

If there are 50 Nigerians and the information available is 16 Nigerians the government would not make arrangements for 50 because they are ignorant of 34 people.

This is how it is done anywhere in the world.

In times like this INFORMATION IS BAE
Not true sir. The Americans with all their intelligent will not be stupid to go for an evacuation mission of the exact number of the victims. They will create extra space bc they are also aware that some may enter the country illegally. Whether legal or not, they are all citizens and their lives is also very much respected. Knowing the numbers available to the embassy was just to know how many extra space they will have for those who do not register.
Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by trilobite: 10:38am On Feb 02, 2020
Blindersoff:

Where and when did you direct me anywhere? Please show

Plus your information should not be with the Chinese Embassy alone because that is not your country.

Did you register with Nigerias embassy in China?

We all did!! Even with NIDO!!! That was why the Minister's 16 people statistic shocked everyone here!!!
You can enquire from them.
Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by Blindersoff: 10:38am On Feb 02, 2020
Johnsinia:
Am not arguing about the rigistration thing... My concern is on proactive approach to things. Anyway, pray you never find yourself in a situation like this and you will be thinking you have a government... Only to discovered you are on a island all alone. America that I know and ve read of will never hear news like this and the first thing they will do is to start asking questions about biography rather their questions will start with to know the exact location they are in Wuhum and how many they were. It is after they ve been rescued that they will start collecting their information. And most of the times they ended up saving the lives of non Americans. That's how responsive governments should behave because delay is dangerious

Check my posts. I have asked him repeatedly to mention the university he says he is enrolled at in Wuhan and all I got was silence.

Was that not me requesting for location?

Was he being co-operative? NO

Is he a ghost?
Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by Blindersoff: 10:39am On Feb 02, 2020
trilobite:

We all did!! Even with NIDO!!! That was why the Minister's 16 people statistic shocked everyone here!!!
You can enquire from them.

Are you WuhanPerson the OP?

If yes, what is the name of the university you are at in Wuhan ?

When enquiring from the Nigerian embassy, whose name should I mention I am asking for?
Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by Blindersoff: 10:42am On Feb 02, 2020
Johnsinia:
Not true sir. The Americans with all their intelligent will not be stupid to go for an evacuation mission of the exact number of the victims. They will create extra space bc they are also aware that some may enter the country illegally. Whether legal or not, they are all citizens and their lives is also very much respected. Knowing the numbers available to the embassy was just to know how many extra space they will have for those who do not register.

Americans are informed thus better prepared. Information gathering and giving is a strength Nigerians are yet to harness.

Without this, no proper planning and no proper implementation
Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by Blindersoff: 10:45am On Feb 02, 2020
trilobite I will repeat my question

When enquiring from the Nigerian embassy, whose name should I mention I am asking for?
Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by trilobite: 10:47am On Feb 02, 2020
Blindersoff:

Nope I am not. There are others affected on this thread. You don't have to mention any specific name!!! That doesn't solve anything. I am asking you to enquire on your own and ascertain from the officials the statistic the OP has mentioned.

Bring evidence of them refuting it, then we all can go from there.

WuhanPerson sorry abeg.
Re: Coronavirus: Evacuating Nigerians In Wuhan, China, The Facts by Blindersoff: 10:49am On Feb 02, 2020
trilobite:

Nope I am not. There are others affected on this thread. You don't have to mention any specific name!!! That doesn't solve anything. I am asking you to enquire on your own and ascertain from the officials the statistic the OP has mentioned.

Bring evidence of them refuting it, then we all can go from there.

WuhanPerson sorry abeg.

Where is evidence of the letters you said you sent and the response you said you got from the embassy? Can I see?

You need to arm me with my requested information otherwise this is bust

I also want to know the district you are in Wuhan

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Trump’s Travel Policy: Nigerians With Valid Visas Denied Entry Into USA / Life In Turkey / Lagos-ibadan Road Begin To Wear A New Face

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.