Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,932 members, 7,814,164 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma (83736 Views)

Check How Much My Mother Used To Buy Garri And How Much I'm Buying Now / I Bought A Paint Bucket Of Garri N1000 In My Area. How Much Is It In Your Area? / Garri And Fried Fish Served At A Wedding In Lagos! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Nobody: 10:27pm On Feb 02, 2020
Don't mind them jare, especially when u take it wit kulikuli or fry fish I'm so addicted that I can't do without it in a week

2 Likes

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Lukuluku69(m): 10:28pm On Feb 02, 2020
MRcocaFanta:
As a Nigeria, you might have heard people saying that when someone drinks garri, it means the person is poor and rached.

For example, people tend to laugh at those that soaks garri.

But that isn't the case.

So today I've compiled pics that will make you think twice before branding soaking or drinking of garri, a "poverty food"

OP, thank you for this jare. You see, as an Ijebu man, I still prefer my Garri without Sugar, served with Cold water. You all this Meat, Fish and all sort you posted along with it are just added frills. The Garri itself is the main course.

3 Likes

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by pimplucious: 10:29pm On Feb 02, 2020
Garri wey dey burst brain
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by ekestic1976(f): 10:30pm On Feb 02, 2020
femi4:
coming from someone that spelt "Garri" as "Gari"

You'll never accept your shortcoming as yours alone! Needless to say that there's no universally acceptable spelling form for certain words, even in the English language. In my rural part of Yorubaland, gari is spelt with single Letter R, just because in the Yoruba language two consonants seldom follow each other!

2 Likes

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by okeyfineboy(m): 10:32pm On Feb 02, 2020
ekestic1976:
You don't DRINK Gari; you EAT it, just as you don't drink orange but eat it. OP may have to get the New Oxford English Course Nigeria Book 2 for more teaching! grin grin grin
English teacher...YOU DON'T EAT ORANGE. YOU SUCK ORANGE...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by olmoRoc: 10:37pm On Feb 02, 2020
that notion ended in 1984 after buhari's coup
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by femi4: 10:42pm On Feb 02, 2020
ekestic1976:

You'll never accept your shortcoming as yours alone! Needless to say that there's no universally acceptable spelling form for certain words, even in the English language. In my rural part of Yorubaland, gari is spelt with single Letter R, just because in the Yoruba language two consonants seldom follow each other!
Ignorance

Garri originates from Gar Language in Ghana. it's English name is tapioca. The entire west African countries recognize it as Garri and we are the largest producers of processed cassava in the world.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Yankee101: 10:43pm On Feb 02, 2020
MRcocaFanta:
As a Nigeria, you might have heard people saying that when someone drinks garri, it means the person is poor and rached.

But that isn't the case.

So today I've compiled pics that will make you think twice before branding soaking or drinking of garri, a "poverty food"

Edit your post abeg as e don reach front page
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by kiyosaki1(m): 10:45pm On Feb 02, 2020
ayandee:
New Oxford English Course aka NOEC. Bros, you are old.

Mastery of a language doesn't equate intelligence. We now know you are linguistic expert , next please. We all understand the author's message.

3 Likes

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by EmekaBlue(m): 10:45pm On Feb 02, 2020
collinsuchendu:
Drinking garri doesn't mean you’re poor, but allowing the garri to swell-up before drinking is poverty.

-Paa Kwesi Nduom
grin d gold digger dey diz girl body even her hair dey shine d gold

1 Like

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by goat22: 10:46pm On Feb 02, 2020
femi4:
Ignorance

Garri originates from Gar Language in Ghana. it's English name is tapioca. The entire west African countries recognize it as Garri and we are the largest producers of processed cassava in the world.

wrong, garri originates from the taupe language of southern Madagascar and it is spelled Gquari there.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by femi4: 10:47pm On Feb 02, 2020
goat22:

wrong, garri originates from the taupe language of southern Madagascar and it is spelled Gquari there.
Garri is from West Africa, introducing Madagascar into the picture is over the bar

1 Like

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Nobody: 10:50pm On Feb 02, 2020
ekestic1976:
You don't DRINK Gari; you EAT it, just as you don't drink orange but eat it. OP may have to get the New Oxford English Course Nigeria Book 2 for more teaching! grin grin grin

Alaye , Bleep off joor , English is all about understanding, as long as we understand what he meant , nothing more... na your papa language... you be British?....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Afrocentric: 10:50pm On Feb 02, 2020
ekestic1976:
lies. You don't eat oranges. You suck it
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by abbeyloyee(m): 10:51pm On Feb 02, 2020

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Nobody: 10:55pm On Feb 02, 2020
Me i don't know o, say FG warned never to drink garri o, i drink am this night with my beans, ha lassa pls o, i no no o, pls pls.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by BabbanBura(m): 10:56pm On Feb 02, 2020
MRcocaFanta:

But that isn't the case.

Bros allow us drink our gari in peace bikonu!

1 Like

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Nobody: 11:02pm On Feb 02, 2020
MRcocaFanta:
Well it's the purpose of the thread though.

Like I'm just saying that the rich enjoys soaking of garri too.
But since you asked, there you go. Lol
Ehen what we were waiting for.gringringrin
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by sewed4u(m): 11:02pm On Feb 02, 2020
I don't see soaking of garri as poverty sign, even if you have fullt sack of rice, beans and other food stuff in your kitchen, you may still like to soak garri. So advert or no advert garri sells pass indomie.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Onitola2: 11:06pm On Feb 02, 2020
ekestic1976:
are u considering garri and orange as liquids or solid?
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Ooye12: 11:06pm On Feb 02, 2020
Garri psss Garri ooo may God help us..
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by ekestic1976(f): 11:08pm On Feb 02, 2020
Afrocentric:

Shows you know VERY little English grammar! You "eat" Orange, bros. Perhaps you want to ask an informed person?
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Dagger111(m): 11:08pm On Feb 02, 2020
OP! It is as a Nigerian not 'Nigeria'. Pls modify.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Nobody: 11:09pm On Feb 02, 2020
Garri no be poor man food for this side again oo. Three cups hundred naira na to dey chop foofoo.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by ekestic1976(f): 11:10pm On Feb 02, 2020
Onitola2:
are u considering garri and orange as liquids or solid?

You don't drink gari; you eat it! That's just the proper way of saying it. Open your mind to newness, bros.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Nobody: 11:11pm On Feb 02, 2020
dancok:
Me i don't know o, say FG warned never to drink garri o, i drink am this night with my beans, ha lassa pls o, i no no o, pls pls.
Guy the temptation. gringringrin this kind thing if I die I die.

1 Like

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by ABBEYsammy01(m): 11:11pm On Feb 02, 2020
Everything get level, the eating patterns of the rich and the poor are not the same, the way it's applicable to garri so also all other foods. Some even manage water to drink garri let alone adding kulikuli or almighty groundnut...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by ekestic1976(f): 11:11pm On Feb 02, 2020
Afrocentric:

Why don't you check it out properly? No harm doing so.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by ikorodureporta: 11:11pm On Feb 02, 2020
#Rachedness
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by adecz: 11:12pm On Feb 02, 2020
sad

Too much garri can dehydrate,
desiccate & trigger acute anaemia..

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Elxandre(m): 11:12pm On Feb 02, 2020
vincentjk:
Who said garri is a poor man's food?? Abeg garri dy grade by grade o

Btw this is how I soak my garri every Sunday evening wink
What's this now? Lol.

Bread and garri. Haba

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Have You Seen This Lucifer Biscuit? (pictures) / Picture Of A $25.75 Rice That I Bought In Chicago US / Ram With 5 Horns Sold At A Market In Lagos Ahead Of Sallah Celebration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.