Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,981 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:32 AM

Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma (83792 Views)

Check How Much My Mother Used To Buy Garri And How Much I'm Buying Now / I Bought A Paint Bucket Of Garri N1000 In My Area. How Much Is It In Your Area? / Garri And Fried Fish Served At A Wedding In Lagos! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by GermanMelania: 7:29am On Feb 03, 2020
proclinician:

U toast it to a 100 degrees C u mean?

But u know we no de use measurement . So o said 5 minutes on fire. Inside dry pot to ensure it gets hot enough to kill lasaa. I am assumjng you know the virus kpemes at 100 degrees. If so, then yes.

I think the whole making eba with garri id dangerous. There is no proof that water will heat the garri up enough. Unless it is being cooked on fire. But fire eba becomes gummy
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by thundafire: 7:31am On Feb 03, 2020
ojun50:
This is for some1 that have little money, show us pix of some1 who only had groundout nd just sugar and water
with salt
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Lovelyn451(f): 7:33am On Feb 03, 2020
If its not made with hot water and served with soup I'm not taking....drinking garri causes stomach ache, and blocks the anus, u won't shit for days...only for junkies
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by proclinician: 7:33am On Feb 03, 2020
GermanMelania:

But u know we no de use measurement . So o said 5 minutes on fire. Inside dry pot to ensure it gets hot enough to kill lasaa. I am assumjng you know the virus kpemes at 100 degrees. If so, then yes.

I think the whole making eba with garri id dangerous. There is no proof that water will heat the garri up enough. Unless it is being cooked on fire. But fire eba becomes gummy

God go airp us. Toasting it go help sha but must be allowed to cool before adding water else it coagulates.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by bizzibodi(m): 7:33am On Feb 03, 2020
ekestic1976:
You don't DRINK Gari; you EAT it, just as you don't drink orange but eat it. OP may have to get the New Oxford English Course Nigeria Book 2 for more teaching! grin grin grin
Mr Englishman yur colonial mentality make u think English language is infallible,only goat eat orange,humans soak orange.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Oasis007(m): 7:37am On Feb 03, 2020
bizzibodi:

Mr Englishman yur colonial mentality make u think English language is infallible,only goat eat orange,humans soak orange.

grin

Eazzzzzzy Bruh.... Why you dey soak Orange?! To make soft or ripe?!
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by seancombs617: 7:41am On Feb 03, 2020
MRcocaFanta:
Well it's the purpose of the thread though.

Like I'm just saying that the rich enjoys soaking of garri too.
But since you asked, there you go. Lol

Ehen these are the ones I'm familiar with grin
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by zeedrous: 7:55am On Feb 03, 2020
Who is a junkie?
Lovelyn451:
If its not made with hot water and served with soup I'm not taking....drinking garri causes stomach ache, and blocks the anus, u won't shit for days...only for junkies
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by belcom10(m): 7:59am On Feb 03, 2020
I enjoy drinking garri.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Chummynoni(m): 7:59am On Feb 03, 2020
ikorodureporta:
#Rachedness
lol. rachedness??. rip my beloved english. it is wretchedness uhn
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by TOPCRUISE(m): 8:01am On Feb 03, 2020
This is absolutely yummy. But If you serve this on Christmas. The kind look pipu go look you, you won't like it
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by quinox947: 8:04am On Feb 03, 2020
Enoch07:
no be poverty o. believe me some wealthy people still dey drink garri on code
One of the most common "delicacies" of the people of Edo North is the soaking and drinking soured garri. Both the young and the old irrespective of social status or class are all involve. If you doubt me ask NwaAmaikpe.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Enyimbamercedes: 8:05am On Feb 03, 2020
HabaHaba:

And the pig could be the one writing about Pigs.

Animal Farm Pig!!!

Totally agree with you and it takes a pig to know a pig.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by ikorodureporta: 8:06am On Feb 03, 2020
MRcocaFanta:
As a Nigeria, you might have heard people saying that when someone drinks garri, it means the person is poor and rached

For example, people tend to laugh at those that soaks garri.

But that isn't the case.

So today I've compiled pics that will make you think twice before branding soaking or drinking of garri, a "poverty food"
Chummynoni:

lol. rachedness??. rip my beloved english. it is wretchedness uhn
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by akmath: 8:13am On Feb 03, 2020
Wretched not rached.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by TRUSTEDGUY: 8:23am On Feb 03, 2020
backbone503:

Big, farking lie!
. Na d truth.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by peacefulhome(f): 8:40am On Feb 03, 2020
I drank garri eh, even garri ran at the mention of my name. But now, the thought of garri remains me of those days am always on recommended glass.

Bye bye to garri abeg.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by winningwinner(m): 8:44am On Feb 03, 2020
ekestic1976:
You don't DRINK Gari; you EAT it, just as you don't drink orange but eat it. OP may have to get the New Oxford English Course Nigeria Book 2 for more teaching! grin grin grin

Bros, please check your dictionary properly. You neither drink soaked cold garri nor eat it, you SMOKE it! You only eat garri when it is soaked in hot water and served with soup. You get...?
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by IJEYdiamond(f): 8:53am On Feb 03, 2020
grin grin.... Garri no dey do advert..... but e dey sell pass indomie..... kiss
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by masterflowx(m): 8:57am On Feb 03, 2020
I drunk garri twins last year not because of hunger but just to feel it.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by selfmadeOLX(m): 9:04am On Feb 03, 2020
MRcocaFanta:

Now this is the real soaking of garri grin not the delicious delicacies you were posting before grin
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by lucky4west: 9:34am On Feb 03, 2020
at times the taste of garri is al you need to coo down or get over a hangover or simply chill while u wait for the main food to be prepared, at times easiest thing to eat when no source of fire...gas, stove etc...me i like spicing my weekends with ijebu garri, fried titus, milk, groundnut etc...
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by MichaelSokoto(m): 9:37am On Feb 03, 2020
MRcocaFanta:

Wow!

2nd pix of soaked garri in metal plate was my doing, I was already eating it wen I remembered nairaland. I sent to my UNIBEN physics classmates WhatsApp grp b4 uploading on nl.

my classmates dem yab me wella that day nor b small...
grin

pix was made around 2015/2016 I Fink

cool

1 Like

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by MichaelSokoto(m): 9:43am On Feb 03, 2020
hotspec:
especially that number two
haba!
I was d one that drank that numba 2
just plain ijebu garri and Auchi groundnuts oo!
grin

1 Like

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Onitola2: 10:01am On Feb 03, 2020
ekestic1976:

You don't drink gari; you eat it! That's just the proper way of saying it. Open your mind to newness, bros.
lol, if u consider garri as liquid, then you're drinking, if as solid, then you're eating. Depends on ur perspective bros.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by qtx(m): 10:34am On Feb 03, 2020
Ausrichie:

English is our language it is our lingua franca(main language) so you must know it or else to the outside world you're a standard illiterate.

Don't be deceived. How many countries colonized by England Speak it like the English themselves? You can never speak someone's language more than he himself especially if you are not living within the confines of his country where the traditional people speak it. Speaking good English is not even a criterion for higher achievements.
How many great countries today speak English very well? E.g China, France, Germany, Japan, Russia etc Ask yourself why the enslavement mentality can never leave you Africans.

Putin can speak English but prefers to speak Russian even when communicating with an important personality like Trump, are you better than him because you can speak good English? You are not superior just because you can speak English very well, i rather respect mathematicians than English speaking experts.
Because you can never be more English than the English themselves.
Think on all these things.

1 Like

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by nato20ng(m): 10:39am On Feb 03, 2020
You can't imagine the relief of drinking garri with cold water in this scorching harmattan weather
angry grin grin

Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Nobody: 10:48am On Feb 03, 2020
qtx:

Don't be deceived. How many countries colonized by England Speak it like the English themselves? You can never speak someone's language more than he himself especially if you are not living within the confines of his country where the traditional people speak it. Speaking good English is not even a criterion for higher achievements.
How many great countries today speak English very well? E.g China, France, Germany, Japan, Russia etc Ask yourself why the enslavement mentality can never leave you Africans.

Putin can speak English but prefers to speak Russian even when communicating with an important personality like Trump, are you better than him because you can speak good English? You are not superior just because you can speak English very well, i rather respect mathematicians than English speaker experts.
Because you can never be more English than the English themselves.
Think on all these things.
China's lingua franca is Mandarin.
France's Lingua Franca is French.
Germany's lingua franca is German.
Japan is Japanese. You
Russia has their own lingua franca Putin speaks English because he is speaking with Trump who is an American that speaks English.
All those countries have their Lingua francas. I am not saying anybody should be more English than an Englishman I am saying that you must speak English fluently to qualify as a literate because it is your main language. It was chosen because we have no main language unless if you would suggest we put Ki-Swahili as our main language (Lingua Francs). If a foreigner must communicate with you and that foreigner knows how to speak English and is aware that you are from Nigeria he will speak English. Failure to understand will leave you with the illiterate label.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by qtx(m): 10:59am On Feb 03, 2020
Ausrichie:

China's lingua franca is Mandarin.
France's Lingua Franca is French.
Germany's lingua franca is German.
Japan is Japanese. You
Russia has their own lingua franca Putin speaks English because he is speaking with Trump who is an American that speaks English.
All those countries have their Lingua francas. I am not saying anybody should be more English than an Englishman I am saying that you must speak English fluently to qualify as a literate because it is your main language. It was chosen because we have no main language unless if you would suggest we put Ki-Swahili as our main language (Lingua Francs). If a foreigner must communicate with you and that foreigner knows how to speak English and is aware that you are from Nigeria he will speak English. Failure to understand will leave you with the illiterate label.
My point is, the foreigner speaking with you is not bound by any law if he doesn't speak it like the traditional English person if he is not from England so also you that he is speaking with. Don't forget that even English itself is a combination of other languages. About 350 different languages form English. Research and see.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by Nobody: 11:18am On Feb 03, 2020
qtx:

My point is, the foreigner speaking with you is not bound by any law if he doesn't speak it like the traditional English person if he is not from England so also you that he is speaking with. Don't forget that even English itself is a combination of other languages. About 350 different languages form English. Research and see.
Off course he isn't because it is not his lingua franca(main language). Off course English is derived from Latin, and some languages spoken by the Anglo-Saxons and English also derives words from hundreds of languages but this is not even the case now. English is our lingua franca and therefore you must know it whether you like it or not.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by qtx(m): 11:39am On Feb 03, 2020
Ausrichie:

Off course he isn't because it is not his lingua franca(main language). Off course English is derived from Latin, and some languages spoken by the Anglo-Saxons and English also derives words from hundreds of languages but this is not even the case now. English is our lingua franca and therefore you must know it whether you like it or not.
Knowing it is not the problem here but being efficient in it is the issue. In any case, there is nothing like being efficient in English, bc even the English themselves not all of them speak it with efficiency because it is a collection of different languages as you have rightly corroborated. So you may not need to kill yourself trying to be efficient in English.
Re: Drinking Of Garri And The Poverty Stigma by bossinc: 1:30pm On Feb 03, 2020
As for me, gari is cassava flakes in Africa. And I love it, especially when garnished with Fried fish �.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ram With 5 Horns Sold At A Market In Lagos Ahead Of Sallah Celebration. / Picture Of A $25.75 Rice That I Bought In Chicago US / African Forest Buffalo Killed In Hunting Expedition (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.