Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,922 members, 7,814,102 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch (13461 Views)

Nigeria Would Have Been A Better Place If My Husband Did Not Die: Turai Musa Yar / Femi Adesina: Nigeria Would Have Been Dead And Gone If Buhari Wasn’t Elected / FFK Replies Sultan: 'If Christians Had Taken Up Arms, Nigeria Would Have Burnt" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 6:41pm On Feb 09, 2020
FrLukas:

Do you agree that it will be easier to rule a smaller nation than a larger one?

I am sure smaller nations states won't make the same mistake as Nigeria.

And if we do, well we can only blame ourselves this time as there won't be other tribes to blame like it currently is in Nigeria.

I'm not saying everything will be smooth, but at least we will know that there's no one else to blame but ourselves.
I don't agree it will be easier to rule a smaller nation. Netherlands is no longer a homegenous nation-they have many migrants from their colonies from Caribbean and Asia that made the country work and made it become the economic powerhouse it is.

There is strength in diversity.
Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 6:47pm On Feb 09, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

I don't agree it will be easier to rule a smaller nation. Netherlands is no longer a homegenous nation-they have many migrants from their colonies from Caribbean and Asia that made the country work and made it become the economic powerhouse it is.

You need to ask yourself, did The Netherlands start out as a homogeneous society or heterogeneous.

There is no justification for Nigeria.

It is dead and buried.

Go through politics section and read how much former Abia state governor stole from his state.

Go to Abia state and see how people are living like they are subhumans, living in abject filth and poverty.

Let Nigeria break up.

Let each group forge their own destiny.

No more blaming other people for your failure.

Let people have a country they can die for. A country they can be proud of.

Because, I can assure you, Nigeria is not that country.

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 6:50pm On Feb 09, 2020

2 Likes

Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 7:04pm On Feb 09, 2020
Beachside:
You guys keep evading facts and going around in circles. Nigeria will never develop with the current system . Those nations you mentioned as the most progressive in Africa are ethno states - Rwanda,Botswana,etc. . Africa is an ethnic continent like Europe and Asia,not like Australia,US and Canada. In fact ,the US,Canada and australia were develped based on anglo ethnic ideals and familial bond. Nigeria ,like most African nations are fictitious colonial contraception merged for greedy gains. Ponder about that fact first .
Igboland,Yorubaland,Calabar(Akwacross),Ijawland,Zulu,Akan,Ashanti,Krahn are all ethnic nations like Scotland,South Korea,Lithuania,Sweden,Netherland. all ethnicity contain communities and dialects , the official language is composed of the most popular dialects. slavery and colonization disrupted unification of the African ethnic nations,but they are still nations . Do you have any idea how many decades and centuries it took for all the communities and dialects of Japan to be together and one ethnic nation. i'm sure many of the communities and dialects within must have protested supremacy or marginalization.
My favorite countries are ethno states like Japan,Botswana,South Korea,Lithuania,Scotland,Netherlands. There's simply more familial bond and purpose,even the immigrants there integrate and absorb into that familial bond and purpose. For exmaple Akwa ibom state is one ofthe homogenous states in Nigeria, they have a slogan there called dakada. there's a sense of some familial bond and purpose there .
Nigeria will be balkanized into over 50 countries going by your postulation and that is not feasible. We can work together as one if merit is put in the forefront.
In the private sector you can see Nigerians from all tribes can work towards a common goal and sense of purpose with the right leadership.
Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by CSTR2: 7:04pm On Feb 09, 2020
Have you seen how London looks like?

It is more beautiful than Amsterdam.

That does not mean the brits would develop your country like theirs.
Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 7:10pm On Feb 09, 2020

2 Likes

Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 7:26pm On Feb 09, 2020
Beachside:
Again you keep evading the facts and going around in circles, but the final reality is that Nigeria wil never develop with the current system. your postulation is based on your limited understand of ethnicity . Nigeria will not be balkanized into 50 countries. there are roughly 16 ethnic nations in Nigeria, not 1000 as most of you claim.I don't use the term "tribe" . Africa is 10 times larger than Europe ,Yoruba land is same size as Netherlands,Igboland is same size as Portugal , TswanaLand(Botswana) is same size as Germany . Hausaland is same size as Spain.
Igbo is a an ethnic nation with communities and dialects. Yoruba is an ethnic nation with communities and dialects. Calabar(akwacross) is an Ethnic nation with communities and dialects. Zulu is an ethnic nation with communities and dialects, Tswana land (Botswana) is an ethnic nation with communities and dialects, Scotland is an ethnic nation with communities and dialects,Japan is an ethnic nation with Communities and dialects. Japanese official language is based on the most popular dialect which was adopted as the standard method for all . the other dialects were fizzled out.
The concept of Nigeria and most African countries is similar to Yoruba ,Zulu,Igbo,Hausa,Ashanti invading ,enslaving ,colonizing and merging Swedes,Scottish,Lithuanians,Estonians, as one country .That fact alone is disgraceful.
I suggest all African regions be confederations with each ethnic nations as autonomous states within. The current Nigerian system will never work. will never work ,will never work.
You are advocating for autonomous states within one nation. That will just bring about further division.
We need a 21st century thinking leader that brings about the same unity as when the Super Eagles play a match. You didn't address my point on how Nigerian's working in the private sector for Shell,UBA,Julius Berger from all tribes are able to work together towards a common sense and purpose without seeing through tribal lenses.
Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 7:27pm On Feb 09, 2020
-
Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 7:39pm On Feb 09, 2020
Beachside:
.You will soon have your status stripped and deported back to your shithole, then you will know that NETHERLAND is an ethnic nation,unlike your shithole British Corporation Nigeria.
Nigeria owes close to $100 billion dollars to foreign and domestic creditors. That is primary reason we have to stay together until the debt is paid.
I still believe with the right leader at the helm of affairs, Nigerians can work together in unity.

Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by nlPoster: 7:47pm On Feb 09, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

Of course the Netherlands are a homogenous nation, integration doesn't change that fact.

You're confusing multiculturalism with homogeneity.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/05/16/a-revealing-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-ethnically-diverse-countries/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiculturalism_in_the_Netherlands
Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Banmeallday: 7:54pm On Feb 09, 2020
Dutch are good people, but we must rule ourselves based on natural and similar value systems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpe-lGWH3AM
Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 7:58pm On Feb 09, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

There is no social security payment made to the unemployed like in Western countries. Lagos state had good intentions, but went about it the wrong way. Crime is going to sky rocket in Lagos., you have thrown thousands of people into the streets, without a well thought out plan of what kind of employment you want them to engage in.
“Crime is going to increase in Lagos.” Yuu are making this emphatic statement based on what premise ? Abi you just thought about it from ur anal cavity ? New York and Lagos can’t be compared in terms of development yet crime rates in NYC outweighs that of Lagos similarly Las Vegas in Nevada has one of the highest crime rate in the USA yet very developed. So what are we saying here?
Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 8:01pm On Feb 09, 2020
-
Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by nlPoster: 8:12pm On Feb 09, 2020
The outlook is bleak no doubt, especially given the way semi-civilized folks keep popping up out of nowhere, as shown on nairaland.

I guess the resources are simply not enough to go round because I can't think of any other explanation for what I'm seeing..
Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 8:19pm On Feb 09, 2020
Beachside:
Rwanda,Singapore,and Qatar are small countries and have no reason to be underdeveloped. Rwanda is the same landmass as Cross river state . Singapore is the same size as Calabar . Botswana and Namibia are my favorite African countries,perhaps cape verde ,Morroco,Tunisia,Tanzania .
Botswana is my favorite African country because the weather reminds me of California ,they have a modest population of 2 million, and the people are friendly and well mannered .
Nigeria is a fictitious third world shithole created by colonial powers for greedy gains . It will never develop with the current system. All ethnic nations in Nigeria should be autonomous and have control of their resources, economy and development. Singapore would probably be shithole if part of Malayasia. Rwanda would probably be shithole if part of Congo. Botswana means Tswana land . My favorite countries are Ethno states like Botswana,Japan,South Korea,Scotland,Lithuania,Chile,netherlands.
When making economic comparison, Pakistan is usually used as a yardstick cos we have almost the same population growth which is a major factor and the same colonial master.
Though they gained independence before us, we have lots to learn from them.
For the muslims that hate anything christianity, this is a muslim country, filled with many mountainous regions and mostly depend on agriculture for survival and suffers from natural disaster

Nigerian army used to send their top army men to study in this country.
Look at them positively moving forward and we are retrogressing.

We are pathetic
Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 8:28pm On Feb 09, 2020
nlPoster:
The outlook is bleak no doubt, especially given the way semi-civilized folks keep popping up out of nowhere, as shown on nairaland.

I guess the resources are simply not enough to go round because I can't think of any other explanation for what I'm seeing..
Resources are enough to round if we can recover the money and oil blocks that has been looted by the fantastically corrupt leaders since 1960.

Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 8:33pm On Feb 09, 2020
BurnStoner:

“Crime is going to increase in Lagos.” Yuu are making this emphatic statement based on what premise ? Abi you just thought about it from ur anal cavity ? New York and Lagos can’t be compared in terms of development yet crime rates in NYC outweighs that of Lagos similarly Las Vegas in Nevada has one of the highest crime rate in the USA yet very developed. So what are we saying here?
With no social security net in Lagos. How do you expect the Okada and Keke Nape riders that still have rent,children' school fees and other expenses to fend for themselves. That is what Lagos government failed to plan for.
Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 8:43pm On Feb 09, 2020
nlPoster:

Resources are more than enough to go round but it's in the hands of few. And that few choose to use it to develop other countries.
Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 8:47pm On Feb 09, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

Resources are enough to round if we can recover the money and oil blocks that has been looted by the fantastically corrupt leaders since 1960.
Exactly my submission.

This country is doomed.
Forgotten. It will never ever get better no matter who is placed at the helm of affairs.
Kindest is skewed. Lovers of self than the country or fellow human. If u don't love your nebor or patriotic about your country, how can u grow.
What we call patriotism is selfishness.
Once it favours u, u start preaching patriotism. Remove the monetary value and we will know if u are still patriotic.
Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by DSoj(m): 9:30pm On Feb 09, 2020
urahara:

So much self hate.

Botswana and south Africa are kind of on the same level and yet Botswana has never been run by whites.

We are talking of countries, U mention a landlocked Botswana with a population of 2.2m people, a country thats not even as big as ordinary Ikeja in Lagos. ... my friend will u keep quiet?
Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by bigpicture001: 9:40pm On Feb 09, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

There is hope for Nigeria if we assemble our Dream Team to run the country;Imagine this line up:
Sports Minister - Kanu Nwankwo/Jay Jay Okocha
Minister of Finance - Tony Elumelu/Jim Ovia
Minister of Petroleum - Basil Omiyi/Mitiu Sunmou (Former MD's of Shell)
Minister of Trade - Adebayo Ogunlesi (Board member in Goldman Sachs )
Attorney General - Femi Falana
Minister of Information - Maupe Ogun (Channels TV)
The Dutch put their best brains forward. In Nigeria we do the opposite and that is the only difference.

Obj nd gej already did but u rex
Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 9:40pm On Feb 09, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

With no social security net in Lagos. How do you expect the Okada and Keke Nape riders that still have rent,children' school fees and other expenses to fend for themselves. That is what Lagos government failed to plan for.
don’t you think these Keke and Okada drivers are capable humans who can think fo themselves to quickly delve into other life surviving skills. Abi dem tell you say den get degree for Keke and Okada driving and dia4 Dey r not capable of learning far more capable skills to enrich their lives ? Okay, I see your point; You are talking from the perspective of an idle mind, aren’t you?
Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 9:42pm On Feb 09, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:
Peace and serenity.
These guys no try at all, not a single keke or Okada. Lagosians can’t cope in this kind of environment...mtssw
Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 10:11pm On Feb 09, 2020
BurnStoner:
don’t you think these Keke and Okada drivers are capable humans who can think fo themselves to quickly delve into other life surviving skills. Abi dem tell you say den get degree for Keke and Okada driving and dia4 Dey r not capable of learning far more capable skills to enrich their lives ? Okay, I see your point; You are talking from the perspective of an idle mind, aren’t you?
Nigeria is the poverty capital of the world, with no social security net. If there were abundant employment opportunities do you think they will be riding Okada's and Keke Napep?Majority of them are graduates and have been looking alternative means of employment for years.
Tinubu should have been made to sell his $35 million dollar Falcon private jet and forefeit his two bullion vans to compensate them.
It is survival of the fittest in Lagos, the wealth has been cornered by a few.

Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 10:19pm On Feb 09, 2020
bigpicture001:

Obj nd gej already did but u rex
Nigeria has never had a visionary leader that had plans to provide 24 hour electricity,world class roads and reduce corruption to a minimum that is why we have made no progress since 1960. Unlike other countries like Botswana,Rwanda and Namibia.
The Dream Team has to have a President with 21st century thinking capable of taking Nigeria to the next level. Possibly someone from the private sector that has proven to be succesful and not a career politicians or ex general.
Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 11:26pm On Feb 09, 2020
BurnStoner:

These guys no try at all, not a single keke or Okada. Lagosians can’t cope in this kind of environment...mtssw
Scooters are actually a very popular way of getting around. Though they are not used for commercial purposes.
grin

Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 5:07am On Feb 10, 2020
CSTR2:
Have you seen how London looks like?

It is more beautiful than Amsterdam.

That does not mean the brits would develop your country like theirs.
They developed South Africa, However, the ones that went there got infected with the African leadership virus that makes leaders go mad and introduced apartheid.
London VS Amsterdam - that is a tough one. They are both beautiful cities.
Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 5:48am On Feb 10, 2020
FrLukas:

If there is one thing the Fulanis and the Igbos have in common, it is the fact that they are the only tribes out of over 300 ethnic groups in Nigeria to repeatedly voice their desire to DOMINATE others. In fact they are the only two ethnic groups in Nigeria to have used and still continue to use that word DOMINATE.

Now, if there's going to be a break up of Nigeria, every ethnic group will determine where they want to go.

That is why it is called SELF DETERMINATION.

Nobody tells you where to go as a people. Only you as a people will determine that.

The greatest mistake the minor ethnicities in the South can ever make is join the East to form one country.

A worse scenario than what is currently happening in Nigeria is what will occur.

And I see the union exploding within 5-10 years.

I think this is perfectly clear to Southern leaders.

So I don't think they'll ever make that mistake.

I will tell you this, Igbos are very competitive and what a lot of minorities around Igbos call Domination is actually Igbos out-competing and out-performing them. That situation will never change even if they have their own separate nations. In fact it will only get worse.

Igbo will not apologize to anyone or group for being hard working and successful.

If you cannot compete with Igbos in Nigeria despite all the marginalization that they face, then you will never out-compete them even if you get your own separate country free from Igbos.

Most Igbos I have had conversations with both online and offline actually do not want a country with Minorities in it. They dont want to be detracted by screams of domination and Marginalization.

Igbos want a country that will enable the rapid modernization and industrialization of Igboland just like Korea, Japan, Singapore and Israel.
Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 5:55am On Feb 10, 2020
obowo69:

I will tell you this, Igbos are very competitive and what a lot of minorities around Igbos call Domination is actually Igbos out-competing and out-performing them. That situation will never change even if they have their own separate nations. In fact it will only get worse.

Igbo will not apologize to anyone or group for being hard working and successful.

If you cannot compete with Igbos in Nigeria despite all the marginalization that they face, then you will never out-compete them even if you get your own separate country free from Igbos.

Most Igbos I have had conversations with both online and offline actually do not want a country with Minorities in it. They dont want to be detracted by screams of domination and Marginalization.

Igbos want a country that will enable the rapid modernization and industrialization of Igboland just like Korea, Japan, Singapore and Israel.
What is stopping you now?All the 36 states are still underdeveloped.
Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 6:01am On Feb 10, 2020

3 Likes

Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 6:05am On Feb 10, 2020
Bevista:
Your points are well noted and they actually hold some merit. I think there's too much distrust in the land, which makes separation a reasonable option just to solve that problem.

Having said that, I still have my issue with separation especially as it concerns Biafra. [b]Why did the SE annex parts of the SS and MB to the Biafra project. They did this without any consultations with the leaders of these regions. [/b]This is the same Lordship/conquering mentality that they're always accusing the Fulanis. They first annex the regions and then argue that they can conduct referendum to confirm if they want to join or not. What arrant nonsense! How can the smaller tribes of SS and MB join forces with a dominant SE when they know that the SE with their numerical strength will dominate that new country politically for as long as they want? As you now see, the distrust we were trying to solve through Separation has just cascaded lower to the new contraption.

From the moment I read your first comment, I saw through your Igbophobic mask. Your statement is completely false. Are you talking about Igbos or are you talking about Nnamdi Kanu led IPOB.

If you are talking about Nnamdi kanu led IPOB which I am not a fan of, then you should know that all the states in the south south and Middle belt included in his proposed referendum actually have indigenous Igbos living in those states. So he is not even over stepping his boundaries as some people claim.

So know that If an Igbo only country is the goal, (which I and many others support), then we will give indigenous Igbos carved into the south south and middle belt during state creation, the chance to decide their future.

Finally get this into your head IPOB is not equal to Igbo. One is a secessionist organization while the other an ethnic group of 45-50 million with varying opinions.
Re: How Nigeria Would Have Looked Like If Ruled By The Dutch by Nobody: 6:11am On Feb 10, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

What is stopping you now?All the 36 states are still underdeveloped.

I am not sure if this is even a serious question. You want we to start writing you an essay on How Nigeria has held Igbo potential down?

Next you are going to ask me what about your leaders while ignoring the Nigerian factor which enables incompetent leaders to exist and thrive.

I dont have that time or patience.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Expect EndSARS-Like Protest – PDP Warns Buhari Government / Fani-Kayode: Some APC Members May Be Working For Atiku (Video) / Presidential Election: NCC Denounces Plan To Shut Down Networks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.