Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:05 AM

Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". (3712 Views)

What's The Meaning Of The ''O" In O' Clock / "This Your Teacher Is Fine O" - Man Reacts To His Daughter's Drawing / Many Are Married But Only A Few Can Understand This Math Is A Language(mr Shape) (2) (3) (4)

Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by nayolight(m): 4:12pm On Feb 14, 2020
The quack teachers in the Nigerian educational institution had succeded in achieving a genearational illiterate Nigerians

Remember BODMAS which we were taught to use in solving maths problems with various mathematical operations, yes that one, they lied to us.

The “O” in the BODMAS full form is called “Order”, which refers to the numbers which involve powers, square roots etc. We usually call it "of" and interpret it as "multiplication" but it is not what it truly means.

Orders in BODMAS is anything that has *a power or a square root next and should be solved from left to right if there is more than one.

In fact our teachers owe us an apology, don't you think so?

What word do you have for Nigerian teachers?

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by budaatum: 4:16pm On Feb 14, 2020
nayolight:

Some teachers! Some of us had good teachers.

P.s. I cropped it for you.

Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by daddytime(m): 4:37pm On Feb 14, 2020
Yeye teachers contribute to wetin make me still hate maths with passion till date.

Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by Goldencheese(m): 6:29pm On Feb 14, 2020
daddytime:
Yeye teachers contribute to wetin make me still hate maths with passion till date.
Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by farem: 7:06pm On Feb 14, 2020
The Op lies! In the sense that the "Board Math" in the title is actually written and spelt as BODMAS

Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by HerrDamilord(m): 8:03pm On Feb 14, 2020
They didn't know. Doesn't make them 'quack'. They excelled at other aspects. It's not as though you find such even in standard texts.

Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by theManOfGod(m): 9:19pm On Feb 14, 2020
You can't just call them quack because they failed in knowing the full meaning of BODMAS. Some of them excelled in many other things. I am grateful to God for the teachers I had in my formative years. They taught me smart work, independence and many other things that I still use today. I can't say that about all my University lecturers though.

Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by thelastmediator: 9:20pm On Feb 14, 2020
Board Math ko , board game ni. You know little about what you typed. You are in no position to call no one a quack.

Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by Emestar1999: 9:26pm On Feb 14, 2020
Confusion everywhere
Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by DesChyko: 9:58pm On Feb 14, 2020
Was discussing this with my students two days back.
It was quite difficult purging them of this.
Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by Mrshape: 10:01pm On Feb 14, 2020
Let me book space first because I have a lot of things to say
first of all let me let you know that of is not wrong
It is order of operation.(BODMAS)
It is your understanding of OF that is wrong
You might say why do they use of as multiplication because exponent are multiplication
Take for example
(2+1)²
can be expressed as (2+1)x(2+1)
(5+4)^½ =gxgx1/g=g were gxg=(5+4)
But for the simplicity of our basic understanding and the it is easier to understand it as multiplication because most work the child will come across will involve him using multiplication.
also if I may ask
1/2 of 10 +3 is what?
can't you see of is multiplication and also part of the orders of operations?
I am not saying the original meaning of o is not order, I am trying to tell you that your maths teachers were not teaching you rubbish when they said it is of. Base on the complexity of knowledge you are going to encounter and easy of learning.
Later in life when the curriculum require them to learn powers and roots they will learn indice and surd

You should be agitating for the change in that mnemonics to a better one like
BEDMAS.
PEDMAS
BIDMAS.
were E is exponent or I is indice

Another reason why they might not be using order is the whole of bodmas is called order of operation.

So all of them might be confused as order. THAT MIGHT be a reason why the authors decided to use of.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by Nobody: 10:19pm On Feb 14, 2020
Take a look at this:

Imagine telling a primary 4 pupil this when such pupil is still struggling to understand how estimation and approximation works

In my own opinion I think our teachers did the right thing by telling us it was 'of' so as to save us from frustration and mental fatigue at such a young age..... It isn't easy

Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by YoungBlackRico(m): 10:25pm On Feb 14, 2020
Wtf is board math?

Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by clint25(m): 11:11pm On Feb 14, 2020
But wait ooo...What is even de full meaning of BODMAS sef?

Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by dayleke: 12:51am On Feb 15, 2020
Lol...

You want some people to experience fresh trauma that has since been buried?
Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by Erudites: 1:29am On Feb 15, 2020
Learning doesn't stop. Thank you for the short but insightful post.
Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by etrange: 3:14am On Feb 15, 2020
You're quick to call someone quack yet you're here typing "board maths". Paper maths nko?

Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by chii8(f): 5:49am On Feb 15, 2020
clint25:
But wait ooo...What is even de full meaning of BODMAS sef?

���...our teachers those days said B-Bracket,O-of,D-Division,M-Multiplication,A-Addiction,S-Subtraction.
But this guy is saying that O now means order of operation.

Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by verifiablefacts: 7:19am On Feb 15, 2020
so who teach you to pass weac,your ancestors?

Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by femi4: 9:28am On Feb 15, 2020
nayolight:
The quack teachers in the Nigerian educational institution had succeded in achieving a genearational illiterate Nigerians

Remember BODMAS which we were taught to use in solving maths problems with various mathematical operations, yes that one, they lied to us.

The “O” in the BODMAS full form is called “Order”, which refers to the numbers which involve powers, square roots etc. We usually call it "of" and interpret it as "multiplication" but it is not what it truly means.

Orders in BODMAS is anything that has *a power or a square root next and should be solved from left to right if there is more than one.

Ignorant! Stop following them in circulating this rubbish and misinformation.

BODMAS with "o" as of is right based on primary school curriculum

PEMDAS or PEDMAS was introduced to accommodate complex probem involving exponentials.

By the way...its BODMAS not Broad Math
Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by Nobody: 9:37am On Feb 15, 2020
Look at this one like you would have understood self. Imagine if the Number has a root that is a decimal how would they have explained it to you that there is a table to use to find it, that is why roots were hardly touched then. Abegi
Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by Nobody: 9:41am On Feb 15, 2020
coker007:
Take a look at this:

Imagine telling a primary 4 pupil this when such pupil is still struggling to understand how estimation and approximation works

In my own opinion I think our teachers did the right thing by telling us it was 'of' so as to save us from frustration and mental fatigue at such a young age..... It isn't easy
Exactly what I was thinking. The op self would have never understood.

Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by codedguy1(m): 10:09am On Feb 15, 2020
daddytime:

Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by Nobody: 10:38am On Feb 15, 2020
OK,. Anyway learn web development with WordPress. Chat me up on what. App for details.
0..9...0 six 7..0...2....6....0,,9.2

Also, if you need a website for your business, feel free to contact me. Its both responsive. Mobile-friendly SE-Optimized, and super affordable. You also get a free hosting (meaning you won't need to pay monthly for hosting your website) and a free .com domain name.
Why wait any longer, patronize us today, and you will be glad you did.
Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by DIKEnaWAR: 12:24pm On Feb 15, 2020
I wasn't interested in this sh1t during my school days. They can't change it whatever they like, I am still not interested.
Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by Blue3k(m): 3:40pm On Feb 15, 2020
I learned orders of operations as PEMDAS.

Parentheses Exponents Multiply Divide Add Subtract.
Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by hardbody: 7:08pm On Feb 15, 2020
What are you all even saying? Even the BODMAS still no make sense reach today. The only thing that makes sense is my ability to convert pounds , dollars and euros to Naira. Anthing else is a bonus or a scam

Re: Your Teacher Lied To You, The "O" In Board Math Is Not "Of". by gr8cany: 10:32pm On Feb 15, 2020
nayolight:
The quack teachers in the Nigerian educational institution had succeded in achieving a [b]genearational [/b]illiterate Nigerians

Op, if I give you adjective that spells what you depict by writing this now, you will feel insulted.
You're bitter about your elementary teachers that were able to coin such important knowledge into your balded skull , but you can't make a good spelling of the bolded above. *GeneArational* instead of *generational"
Again you couldn't even remember that your teacher said "bodmas" and not board maths

Be informed that your teacher wasn't incorrect. You were taught out of your elementary capacity and as the curriculum demanded. What you came to know now is a result of educational advancement.

For instance, In primary school we believed respiration to be breathing but with growth into the system we learnt the difference.

Next time you see a teacher, doff your cap, bow down and salute him.

Don't be an ingrate and stop spreading your ignorance.

Nigerian Army Zonal Screening Shortlisted Candidates For 71 RRI 2014 / Please Share Your Etx-ng.com Experience-transcript Order / Jamb Change Of Course Is Ongoing Read Guide On How To Do That Here