Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,370 members, 7,819,328 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. (2629 Views)

Is this true About many other West African Countries when they apply for Visas? / Morocco, Nigeria & South Africa Lead African Aviation Rise - Forbes / Abuja Airport Is Emerging Nigeria's Aviation Hub (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by CSTR2: 2:31pm On Feb 15, 2020
Ghana's aviation makes gains as sub-region diverts flights to Kotoka Airport
Terminal3 Kotoka.

KIA considered one of the safest airports on the continent

Ghana has started raking in the benefits of its investments and the robust aviation navigation installations it has deployed over the years as part of measures to make the country the aviation hub in the West African sub-region.

Subsequently, the Kotoka International Airport (KIA), considered one of the safest airports on the continent, has begun receiving aircraft bound for other West African countries but which cannot land there due to the harmattan haze.

The aircraft diversions to Accra follows a consensus reached by aviation sector experts in West Africa that the KIA had better air navigation and instrument landing systems needed to guide aeroplanes down, even during intensified dusty dry winds.

The Corporate Communications Manager of the Ghana Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA), Mr Eric Mireku Amaning, told the Daily Graphic in Accra yesterday that, so far, about six West Africa-bound international flights, mostly en route to Nigeria, had been diverted to the KIA.

“The flights diverted to Ghana included British Airways (BA), Delta Airlines, Emirates Airlines, Air France, Qatar Airways and RwandAir. They were diverted from the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, and the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, both in Nigeria, between February 10 and 12, this year,” he said.

Situation in the region

Since last Monday, the harmattan haze has crippled flight services in most countries in West Africa, with some of the airlines operating in the sub-region being either delayed or cancelling their flights.

Nigeria, the worst hit by the hazy atmosphere, has been diverting its international-bound flights to Ghana.

The development, which inconveniences both passengers and operating carriers, is not helped by the sub-optimal performance of instrument landing aids at airports in Nigeria.

The most affected areas are reportedly Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt, where the harmattan presence has been strong.

Navigational aids

Mr Amaning explained that flights bound for Nigeria were being diverted to Accra because Ghana had deployed better instrument landing systems and other navigational aids for aircraft take-off and landing.

“We have better instrument landing systems and other navigational aids, such as Doppler Very High Frequency Omnidirectional Radio Range, to help aircraft land in bad weather.

“In safety, Ghana prides itself as having one of the best safety records across the world, and it was no wonder that the International Civil Aviation Organisation scored the country 89.9 per cent in its Coordinated Validation Mission,” he said.

He observed that some of the aircraft involved in the diversion were currently at the KIA, awaiting improved visibility from Nigeria in order to depart.

Financial benefits

Asked whether the development had any negative impact on the KIA, he responded in the negative, and indicated that Ghana was rather benefiting from the current situation.

“We are currently benefiting immensely from the situation, as the airlines pay landing and overflight fees for the diversion. Because of the situation, most of the passengers have not been able to travel back to their respective countries and that is another cash in for Ghana,” he said.

On the local front, Mr Amaning observed that the poor visibility posed by the severe harmattan had no negative impact on local and international flights from Accra.

He added that the Ghana Meteorological Agency (GMA) had assured the GCAA that the weather was clear and so flights could operate.

“Although there is currently a hazy atmosphere, the GMA has assured us that the weather is okay for both domestic and international airlines to operate and so we have not cancelled any flight; we are only monitoring the situation closely,” he added.

Airport Meteo’s caution

For his part, the Officer in charge of the KIA Meteorological Office, Mr James Dusu, cautioned passengers and travellers to take precautions before embarking on their journeys, as the authority expected the severe harmattan being experienced currently to last until Sunday.

He said the change in the weather pattern was as a result of the dry and cool continental winds entering the country.

https://mobile.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/business/Ghana-s-aviation-makes-gains-as-sub-region-diverts-flights-to-Kotoka-Airport-865966

1 Like

Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by CSTR2: 2:33pm On Feb 15, 2020
And that is a country of just 30 million people.

I weep for Nigeria. I truly weep.
The quality of governance is so poor.

If you people like , vote for osibanjo or any nice sounding populist idiot in 2023, it is you and your children that will suffer it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by NigeriaIsDoomed: 2:36pm On Feb 15, 2020
The fake giant of Africa should continue sleeping while electing about to die illiterate grandpas to lead them and expecting other countries to wait for them.
Divide the zoo una no want

1 Like

Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by Litmus: 2:39pm On Feb 15, 2020
Be happy for Ghana and don’t cuss Nigeria. Cussing does not work. Pray for Ghana to be Great- Ghana is an African nation. Pray and work for Nigeria to be greater as a Nigerian and an African.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by NigeriaIsDoomed: 2:39pm On Feb 15, 2020
CSTR2:

If you people like , vote for osibanjo or any nice sounding populist idiot in 2023, it is you and your children that will suffer it.
They have started marketing the aso errand boy instead of searching for a vibrant, visionary and agile youth to lead the failed zoo.
Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by jimyjames(m): 2:40pm On Feb 15, 2020
As long as one Nigeria is concerned this country wont develop as expected , break up is the only solution

5 Likes

Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by NigeriaIsDoomed: 2:42pm On Feb 15, 2020
Litmus:
Be happy for Ghana and dont cuss Nigeria.
Did you read this:
"Mr Amaning explained that flights bound for Nigeria were being diverted to Accra because Ghana had deployed better instrument landing systems and other navigational aids for aircraft take-off and landing."

Make una vote another cow herder who is only in his cows and how his dirty Fulani brothers to be una president for 2023.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by SarkinYarki: 2:45pm On Feb 15, 2020
Small time even small cesna will refuse to land in Buharis Nigeria ..u have never imagined a human being can take incompetence to such a hieght

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by Litmus: 2:46pm On Feb 15, 2020
NigeriaIsDoomed:
Did you read this:
Mr Amaning explained that flights bound for Nigeria were being diverted to Accra because Ghana had deployed better instrument landing systems and other navigational aids for aircraft take-off and landing.

Good for them; Nigeria should work harder. Cussing Nigeria just because Ghana is benefiting for her people shows envy and jealousy.
Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by NigeriaIsDoomed: 2:53pm On Feb 15, 2020
Litmus:

Good for them; Nigeria should work harder. Cussing Nigeria just because Ghana is benefiting for her people shows envy and jealousy.
You can never move past your present level if you are complacent with where you are.
I swear to God if you leave Nigeria to other places you will be praying God to kill the wicked imbeciles ruling Nigeria.
Most painful is that these wicked rulers travel to other places to see how things are done but will never improve the country.
Do you know how we are perceived overseas even in countries like Asia cuz our government has failed us.
We should be weeping for Nigeria because a lot of countries have left us behind, we are now competing with countries that have been destroyed by war.
Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by Litmus: 3:03pm On Feb 15, 2020
NigeriaIsDoomed:
You can never move past your present level if you are complacent with where you are.
I swear to God if you leave Nigeria to other places you will be praying God to kill the wicked imbeciles ruling Nigeria.
Most painful is that these wicked rulers travel to other places to see how things are done but will never improve the country.
Do you know how we are perceived overseas even in countries like Asia cuz our government has failed us.
We should be weeping for Nigeria because a lot of countries have left us behind, we are now competing with countries that have been destroyed by war.

I’m not complacent and I am widely travelled. Cussing Nigeria does not help Nigeria, does not help Nigerians, will not motivate leadership. The best outcome from cussing Nigeria and praising Ghana is the ‘becoming a commercial for the products of Ghana and destination Ghana’. I used the term best outcome since at least Ghana is an African nation and we as Africans should always want the best for African nations.
Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by Litmus: 3:12pm On Feb 15, 2020
Nigeria and Nigerians should not fight Ghana but instead fight against the West using Ghana as a hub to exploit the Nigeria market. For example, don’t accept a scenario in which say, British Airways claims Nigeria lacks certain facilities or security and has therefore chosen to fly people destined for Nigeria to Ghana with the option of shuttling them to Nigeria.
Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by Nobody: 3:18pm On Feb 15, 2020
Litmus:
Nigeria and Nigerians should not fight Ghana but instead fight against the West using Ghana as a hub to exploit the Nigeria market. For example, don’t accept a scenario in which say, British Airways claims Nigeria lacks certain facilities or security and has therefore chosen to fly people destined for Nigeria to Ghana with the option of shuttling them to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by NigeriaIsDoomed: 3:25pm On Feb 15, 2020
Litmus:
So the west is now to be blamed? Nigerian mentality, always blaming others for their failure instead of holding their rulers accountable.
Applaud yourself young man.
I did not expect less.
Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by Litmus: 3:29pm On Feb 15, 2020
NigeriaIsDoomed:
So the west is now to be blamed? Nigerian mentality, always blaming others for their failure in stead of holding their rulers account.
Applaud yourself young man.
I did not expect less.

I wasn’t blaming the West this time. I didn’t mean 'Fighting' in the literal context.
Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by NigeriaIsDoomed: 3:45pm On Feb 15, 2020
Litmus:

I wasn’t blaming the West this time. I didn’t mean 'Fighting' in the literal context.
I understood you, but what is the correlation between Nigeria's inabilty to deploy better instrument landing systems, other navigational aids for aircraft take-off and landing and the West.
The West has nothing to do here unless you want to tell me that the West stopped our useless government from equipping our airports with better instrument landing systems.
Our penchant for blaming others for problems instead of being responsible and proactive has kept us where we are till today.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by Goke7: 3:48pm On Feb 15, 2020
CSTR2:

Campaign nah so we vote for u grin

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by unbitchable(m): 4:06pm On Feb 15, 2020
What has Osibanjo got to do with this?, is he the minister of aviation?.. some people are just naturally stupid. Some hours earlier, Google celebrated his ingenuity, showing he could do much better given more capacity.
Nigeria was the worst aviation industry during the stint of Stella Oduah yet she is a hero among her people.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by Goke7: 4:10pm On Feb 15, 2020
unbitchable:
What has Osibanjo got to do with this?, is he the minister of aviation?.. some people are just naturally stupid. Some hours earlier, Google celebrated his ingenuity, showing he could do much better given more capacity.
Nigeria was the worst aviation industry during the stint of Stella Oduah yet she is a hero among her people.

They see osinbajo as a reason their own son may not be smell aso rock in the nearest future hence their pain and fustration.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by unbitchable(m): 4:16pm On Feb 15, 2020
flights were diverted due to climatic conditions which is standard practice.. Do you have the brain to understand what you posted.
Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by unbitchable(m): 4:38pm On Feb 15, 2020
Goke7:

They see osinbajo as a reason their own son may not be smell aso rock in the nearest future hence their pain and fustration.
Atiku is cummin.. Lol

1 Like

Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by CSTR2: 4:41pm On Feb 15, 2020
Goke7:

OK.
Don't worry, you would do more amotekun in the future.
Shebi obasanjo improved your life in his eight years as a Yoruba man.

Amotekun against poverty, amotekun against power failure, amotekun against unemployment, amotekun against inflation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by CSTR2: 4:45pm On Feb 15, 2020
unbitchable:

Atiku is cummin.. Lol
Bawumia the vice president of Ghana has done more for Ghana in one year than your osibanjo in five years.

I hope you know the year of return that has opened Ghana to the world and brought in billions in dollars in tourism revenues was his brain child.

What is osibanjo real contribution to the Nigerian state?

If you tell me Npower or trader moni, na sango go fall on you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by XANDERBOY85: 5:15pm On Feb 15, 2020
In saner climes, this is enough for the Fulani bigot Hadi-Sirika to throw in his resignation! But he’s there for a purpose that has little to do with bettering the Aviation industry in Nigeria as a whole!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by unbitchable(m): 5:20pm On Feb 15, 2020
CSTR2:

Bawumia the vice president of Ghana has done more for Ghana in one year than your osibanjo in five years.

I hope you know the year of return that has opened Ghana to the world and brought in billions in dollars in tourism revenues was his brain child.

what is the constitutional roles of a VP?. Needless to say Osibanjo signed the executive bill of ease of doing business as Acting President.
dude, you're daft.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by NigeriaIsDoomed: 5:27pm On Feb 15, 2020
CSTR2:

Why are you trying to belittle our son Osibande, who is the Aso slave and errand boy. Our able son who has shared trader money from Abuja to Zamfara has not done anything?
Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by NigeriaIsDoomed: 5:30pm On Feb 15, 2020
XANDERBOY85:
In saner climes, this is enough for the Fulani bigot Hadi-Sirika to throw in his resignation! But he’s there for a purpose that has little to do with bettering the Aviation industry in Nigeria as a whole!
The government and their foolish hungry supporters are still blaming the previous government and Britain for their failure

1 Like

Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by otokx(m): 5:42pm On Feb 15, 2020
The Nigerian government should wake up from their delusions of grandeur. Prayers without effort can be futile cool

1 Like

Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by CSTR2: 5:44pm On Feb 15, 2020
unbitchable:

what is the constitutional roles of a VP?. Needless to say Osibanjo signed the executive bill of ease of doing business as Acting President.
dude, you're daft.
So signing a bill will suddenly make it easier to do business?

Don't procreate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by CSTR2: 5:45pm On Feb 15, 2020
XANDERBOY85:
I wonder why he still has a job.

This is a sackable offense.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by Nobody: 5:47pm On Feb 15, 2020
Ghana is the real giant of Africa not fake giants.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana Gradually Becoming West African Aviation Hub. by unbitchable(m): 5:59pm On Feb 15, 2020
CSTR2:

So signing a bill will suddenly make it easier to do business?

Don't procreate.
Ask Doron Avni and other foreign and local entrepreneurs that have been impacted by the policy. As i said, you're plain daft.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Can I Change My Date Of Birth On International Passport / Hotel Booking In Pretoria Without Payment How Can I Get It Done Or Booked / How Can I Appeal My Visa Decision

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.