Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,316 members, 7,829,755 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:23 AM

Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? (16913 Views)

How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone / Need A Phone With Large Memory Apart From Iphone Which Would You Recommend / Blackberry Vs Iphone: Which Is Better (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by turboman(m): 1:32pm On Dec 18, 2010
Iphone is cool. However, Android comes in a splendid array of handsets to choose from. OS means a lot, but having a variety of hardware and capabilities to choose from makes shopping more fun grin I really can't find anything special about the Iphone apart from the brand. Moreover Itune sucks angry
Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by turboman(m): 1:36pm On Dec 18, 2010
To all the ladies in the house, android can make your guy independent grin

Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by johnblaze1: 3:48pm On Dec 18, 2010
I have a HTC Wildfire and i love the android operation system, especially the widgets. Only issue is that we can save apps directly to the SD Card but i know the new update can,, patiently waiting for the update.
Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by 2kurupt(m): 4:00pm On Dec 18, 2010
POSTER. U hv heard it all. Android for variety & more functionality, Ios for fluid interface & eye candy. IMO

@tez. I know u know alot buh it will help u if ur more objective & open minded in ur arguements coz we cant all prefer or the use the same stuff
Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by texazzpete(m): 4:42pm On Dec 18, 2010
2kurupt:

@tez. I know u know alot buh it will help u if your more objective & open minded in your arguements coz we cant all prefer or the use the same stuff

I AM objective here. I present arguments based on fact.

Anyway, the topic under discussion is actually nonsense. You can't compare Android (OS) to the iPhone (handset). You can only compare top tier Android phones (like the Galaxy S/Nexus S/Droid X) with the iPhone 4.

krunch:

@ all
something just occured 2 me,
how much does an ipod touch go for?
cos im thinkin it may actually b possible to get a high end android and an ipod touch with d price of getting an iphone!
this culd actually enable a consumer to enjoy the best of both worlds, watya think?
cos in terms of apps n gaming especially, android still has some catching up to do. also any high end quality game dat is available on d android platform is usually more expensive dan its ios counterpart, i wonder y,

That's an option, good for those who don't mind carrying an extra device in their pocket.
Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by oludy: 4:45pm On Dec 18, 2010
@poster. Get the two and when you make up your mind, toss me the one you ditched.(I hope it's the android phone). I am too biased about Apple gadgets to comment. I just love my iPhone, iPad, Mac, airport, apple TV, , they just work.
Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by Mariory(m): 4:47pm On Dec 18, 2010
@OP

It depends on what you want. If you desire freedom to do whatever you wish (customized look, play, listen to, and watch what you want etc) with a product you have paid for then go for an Android.

If you are happy with an out of the box product and don't care about what apple decides you can or can't do with something you have paid for then an Iphone is fine.

Both OSes are pretty comparable. The one big difference is that the Andriod is an open system and so will allow you to extensively "play" with the phone you have purchased. And if the phone's hardware allows, you may be able to get software that adds new functionality to the phone (much like people have done with the nintendo's WII remote, microsoft's KINECT etc)
Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by oludy: 4:49pm On Dec 18, 2010
And why does apple lead the pack all the time. Google is always leaking Apple's backside. Now the android losers want to make pad.
Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by texazzpete(m): 4:56pm On Dec 18, 2010
Mariory:

@OP

It depends on what you want. If you desire freedom to do whatever you wish (customized look, play, listen to, and watch what you want etc) with a product you have paid for then go for an Android.

If you are happy with an out of the box product and don't care about what apple decides you can or can't do with something you have paid for then an Iphone is fine.

In most android phones, if you don't root them, the carrier owns you. Which is why @otumfour is still stuck on Android 2.1 on his galaxy S.

Mariory:

Both OSes are pretty comparable. The one big difference is that the Andriod is an open system and so will allow you to extensively "play" with the phone you have purchased. And if the phone's hardware allows, you may be able to get software that adds new functionality to the phone (much like people have done with the nintendo's WII remote, microsoft's KINECT etc)

I'm not sure what you mean by this. the iPhone has more (and better quality) apps than Android, and as soon as you jailbreak it, you have access to lots more apps beyond's Apple's control. You'll have full control of your hardware.
Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by FBS: 5:56pm On Dec 18, 2010
It's ANDROID! Droid can! cheesy
Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by Mariory(m): 6:02pm On Dec 18, 2010
texazzpete:

In most android phones, if you don't root them, the carrier owns you. Which is why @otumfour is still stuck on Android 2.1 on his galaxy S.

What do you mean by this statement? You don't need to root your Andriod to get any app you want.

texazzpete:

I'm not sure what you mean by this. the iPhone has more (and better quality) apps than Android, and as soon as you jailbreak it, you have access to lots more apps beyond's Apple's control. You'll have full control of your hardware.

That is not true and based purely on opinion. The fact is the Iphone currently has many more apps than the Android (To say they are better quality is not true). However, those apps have to first be oked by Apple which basically gives Apple control of what you can or can't do with your own device. That as far as I'm concerned, is ridiculus.

As for jailbreaking (enabling unrestricted write access)
http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001822.html
Won't be long now.

And Apple claims it voids your warranty
http://www.cultofmac.com/apples-official-response-to-dmca-jailbreak-exemption-it-voids-your-warranty/52463

Basically with Apple, they believe they know what's best for you. That doesn't fly with me. I know what's best for me.
-------------------------------------------

Having said that both products are great and work well for what they are intended. My preference is the Andriod because it is way more open and customizable out of the box. Whichever is prefered by the OP will depend on what he requires of the phone which I explained in my earlier post.
Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by FBS: 6:05pm On Dec 18, 2010
john_blaze:

I have a HTC Wildfire and i love the android operation system, especially the widgets. Only issue is that we can save apps directly to the SD Card but i know the new update can,, patiently waiting for the update.
You can install/save to SD on Froyo (Android 2.2)

Wowzer!  even Gingerbread is here.  grin
Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by DoubleN(m): 6:45pm On Dec 18, 2010
texazzpete:

I AM objective here. I present arguments based on fact.

Anyway, the topic under discussion is actually nonsense. You can't compare Android (OS) to the iPhone (handset). You can only compare top tier Android phones (like the Galaxy S/Nexus S/Droid X) with the iPhone 4.

That's an option, good for those who don't mind carrying an extra device in their pocket.

texazzpete:

You know your Onions bro! wink
As both an iphone user(Used both the 3G and 3GS) and an andriod user (running Froyo on my Prototype device grin) i must give Kudos to apple. When it comes to Hardware,iphones kill the competition but on the OS side of things,credit goes to Andriod not because it is 'better' than the IOS but because of the basic things you can do on them like 'flash' and the ability to 'taste' several mods of the OS e.g HTC sense,Motoblur etc. But if i was giving an iphone4 and a Nexus S,i will definitely go for the Iphone4.
Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by Mariory(m): 6:54pm On Dec 18, 2010
Double N:

But if i was giving an iphone4 and a Nexus S,i will definitely go for the Iphone4.

What about between the Iphone 4 and GALAXY. Another advantage of the Andriod over the Iphone is multiple manufacturers which means multiple sleek phone handsets to pick from. And multiple types of smart phones to pick from (High end or otherwise). Basically, Andriod = Choice!
Word on Apple hardware though. It usually is top notch like you say.
Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by DoubleN(m): 7:01pm On Dec 18, 2010
That Galaxy tight sha, grin
Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by lekside44(m): 7:34pm On Dec 18, 2010
iphone and ipad can use autocad software
Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by dejavus: 7:52pm On Dec 18, 2010
Am surprised everybody is comparing the Iphone and the galaxy S, knowing fully well Samsung just got into the android race not long ago, How about you compare the iphone to the liks of the HTC desire, Nexus One, Desire HD etc. Apple has its fanboys but unfortunately am not one of them, I like my devices flexible and Iphone is not giving me that Option. I customize my rom, mod etc, on the android OS, Look at the case of Flash on the Iphone, steve jobs is just deceiving himself likewise all iphone fan boys, I want to be able to just plug my phone into the PC as a USB device drag and drop my Video Files I downloaded overnight and watch on my way to work , same goes for Audio files, without having to go through the abomination called itune. The iphone has an headstart in terms of gaming and apps, but the android platform will some overtake the Iphone due to the Open source code enabling countless numbers of developers to get their hands dirty, its worth to know about 300,000 android devices are being activated daily (News of 9th Dec 2010.)

Each to their own, I have compared both devices and apple is just not cutting it for me. Unfortunately I know quite a lot of people who got the iphone because it was seen as a fashion accessory / and a must have even though they have absolutely no idea what it does apart from making a call.
Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by pritypeety(f): 8:21pm On Dec 18, 2010
Depends on wat u want neways. Both OS has its ups and down like others av stated. But for me, Android all the way forward! I currently use Htc hero running android 2.1 original ROM. Plan on rooting the phone to get a custom ROM. Still patiently waiting for original HTC desire Z (android 2.2) here in Malaysia.
Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by emmatok(m): 10:13pm On Dec 18, 2010
@poster

Are comparing Android OS with Apple iOS , or SAMSUNG GALAXY WITH I PHONE.

MY TAKE IS

1. Android OS far better than Apple iOS. Because Android OS is based on Linux open source, so you can ROOT and Jailbreak it . And still enjoy you device to the fullest.

2. Among Android OS device, HTC is has the best phones on Android OS and not Samsung.

The best Android OS Phone till date is the HTC EVO 4G and not the SAMSUNG GALAXY.

So if you compare the HTC EVO 4G WITH I PHONE 4g.

HTC EVO 4G WINS

BECAUSE THE HTC EVO 4G CAN GIVE 4G CONNECTIVITY WHILE THE I PHONE 4g CANNOT.
Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by emmatok(m): 10:24pm On Dec 18, 2010
I forgot to add that HTC EVO 4G can stand as a wirelees Router for other devices.

But I PHONE 4g will not try that.
Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by Jezzybrown(m): 10:49pm On Dec 18, 2010
andriod rocks
Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by guchi11: 11:02pm On Dec 18, 2010
Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by texazzpete(m): 11:23pm On Dec 18, 2010
Mariory:

What do you mean by this statement? You don't need to root your Andriod to get any app you want.

I'm not talking about apps. If you don't root your Android phone, you're stuck with whatever Android version the carrier and handset manufacturer decide is best for you. Which is why most users of the Galaxy S and Xperia X10 are still on Android 2.1. The 2.2 rollout has started on the Galaxy S variants, but it isn't ubiquitous yet.
Despite the hardware being capable of running FroYo, HTC Magic users are still stuck on the ancient Android 1.6.

Unless you root!

But if we agree that aftermarket hacking of the phone is accepted in this argument, then we'll have to mention Jailbreaking on the iPhone. And once you Jailbreak your iPhone 4, all your complaints of Apple restrictions no longer apply.
In other words, savvy iPhone users don't feel these restrictions you people always talk about. And non-savvy Android users feel some restrictions too. In fact, in some case, pretty severe restrictions.

Mariory:

That is not true and based purely on opinion. The fact is the Iphone currently has many more apps than the Android (To say they are better quality is not true).

You expose your ignorance in these matters. What i've said isn't just mere subjective info, it's the reality on ground. Take the Facebook app for example. The iPhone version is usually a generation ahead. Developers of many top quality apps prefer the AppStore; it's far easier to make a profit from your app on the iTunes AppStore than on Android market.

http://mobilewebgo.com/android-developers-find-it-hard-make-money

That's why Angry Birds is a paid app on iPhone, and a free app with ads in the Android market. Naturally, the expansions to Angry Birds come to the iPhone first.
On average, a company like Gameloft only ports their games over to Android well after the release of the iPhone versions.

Mariory:

However, those apps have to first be oked by Apple which basically gives Apple control of what you can or can't do with your own device. That as far as I'm concerned, is ridiculus.

Most submitted apps pass Apple's certification. For those that do not get approved, the Cydia Store is there as a viable appstore alternative for jailbroken iPhones.
For example a dev submitted iDOS, a DOS emulator for iPhone/iPad. it was pulled from the AppStore for containing copyrighted material. The same app was released on Cydia as soon as that happened and it has continued to sell well.
Apple controls my device? Hyperbole, much?
Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by Princeofilorin(m): 12:09am On Dec 19, 2010
na wa for this war b/w iphone and android.
Well @ least i use an iphone 3GS and just got a Samsung Captivate(AT&T version of Galaxy S) so i guess i have a say tongue

Iphone is a very easy to use,user-friendly device with great games and apps that beat the android in both quantity and quality.It also has itz cons too but overall if u are able to jailbreak and tweak it,it'll do just about anything.

I'm yet to fully utilize the android OS or root the device but it has a nice super-amoled display,huge screen(great for movies n stuff),gorilla glass,e.t.c
The apps aren't as cool as those of the iphone but still get the job done.there's room for improvement wink

Both are great but i just luv my iphone. kiss

Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by Mariory(m): 12:17am On Dec 19, 2010
@guchi11

Bwahahahahaha! grin grin grin grin grin

Too funny. grin
Re: Android Or Iphone, Which One Is Better? by Mariory(m): 12:23am On Dec 19, 2010
I can't help it.

[flash=400,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HODhXCfcf4c[/flash]

[flash=400,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0BMBiYEKVE[/flash]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Whatsapp’s ‘delete For Everyone’ Feature Doesn’t Delete Pics From Iphone (pics) / Poll: Which Smartphone Manufacturer Is The Best So Far / Blackberry Launches Hub+ For Android

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.