Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,811 members, 7,810,115 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:59 PM

Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES (139698 Views)

My Experience Cultivating 10 Hecters (25 Acres) Of Maize Farm Land / Cost Of Cultivating Cassava Farm On An Hectare / Cost Of Cultivating 1 Hectare Of Okra & Pepper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (69) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 11:07am On Jun 09, 2020
ideepaul:

Did you notice any signs of fruit borer/tuta absoluta around your farm? Cos what I am seeing in neighbouring farms is scary. Please how does ortiva top compare to cabrio duo and how much is a litre?
from sambisa to badagry to my door step every tomato is sick at the moment,and the common one is fungi which you can manage. I don't no cabrio, but anything sygenta product to me is excellent. 1 litre will be 20k and 500mil 10k... maybe cheap in your area though.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by jidestroud(m): 11:09am On Jun 09, 2020
ideepaul:

Hahaha! Tomato staking is not easy o, you will tie ropes like you want to commit suicide, even cucumber dey learn seriously!
50-60 fruits average sized fruits shocked shocked shocked then I must test it/cobra 34 and avenir before this year runs out. Next year is for expansion o

50-60 fruits per WHAT?!!!
By the way, Cobra is way bigger on average.

Platinum is a good one, no doubts. grin
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 11:18am On Jun 09, 2020
ideepaul:

Hahaha! Tomato staking is not easy o, you will tie ropes like you want to commit suicide, even cucumber dey learn seriously!
50-60 fruits average sized fruits shocked shocked shocked then I must test it/cobra 34 and avenir before this year runs out. Next year is for expansion o
baba hope you understand what I said "good maintenance" one colleague of my did about 6000, when I saw the fruit bro I was amazed.. just like Padma fruit. Virgil land + manure + 1 time fartilizer.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 11:22am On Jun 09, 2020
jidestroud:

Per plant na! grin grin grin E shock me too o shocked shocked shocked
And Padma is bigger than cobra26 too
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 11:25am On Jun 09, 2020
jidestroud:

senior, seen is believing I still have one in farm if I count will up to 60 fruit upon say I don dey harvest...all you need is send me data then I will video it and upload it to YouTube. I Kno be grama guy but I Sabi 123 wewe.

2 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 11:25am On Jun 09, 2020
Farmerakinloye6:
baba hope you understand what I said "good maintenance" one colleague of my did about 6000, when I saw the fruit bro I was amazed.. just like Padma fruit. Virgil land + manure + 1 time fartilizer.
Yes o I understand! I got 25-48 on Padma. but with these 50 and above, we must test am o grin grin grin
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by jidestroud(m): 11:30am On Jun 09, 2020
Farmerakinloye6:
senior, seen is believing I still have one in farm if I count will up to 60 fruit upon say I don dey harvest...all you need is send me data then I will video it and upload it to YouTube. I Kno be grama guy but I Sabi 123 wewe.

Don't get me wrong Boss mi, I just wanted to be clear on the per plant. Your harvest is truly good.
For example, when I did my statistics per plant the last time I did Cobra 26, per plant I was able to harvest 5.64kg per plant. i.e average weight per fruit was 85grams.

In summary, that is (5640/85)grams = 66.35 fruits per plant.

So you are absolutely correct with your analysis.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 11:43am On Jun 09, 2020
Farmerakinloye6:
Boss I believe you 100 Percent, just that I never knew platinum could yield that much
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 11:50am On Jun 09, 2020
jidestroud:

Don't get me wrong Boss mi, I just wanted to be clear on the per plant. Your harvest is truly good.
For example, when I did my statistics per plant the last time I did Cobra 26, per plant I was able to harvest 5.64kg per plant. i.e average weight per fruit was 85grams.

In summary, that is (5640/85)grams = 66.35 fruits per plant.

So you are absolutely correct with your analysis.
senior, do you know it is possible for both of us to plant the same seed in different environment,maintenance and our yield,growth will be differ? Looks at them when they are still young,upon say I no irrigate properly and I don't use fertilizer when am suppose to due to workload. They grew so tall,bend and now lock.not even green house,what if it is in green house?

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 12:09pm On Jun 09, 2020
ideepaul:

Boss I believe you 100 Percent, just that I never knew platinum could yield that much
bro, like I wrote somewhere in this thread..there are many things that meet eye in this our work.i have one oga he always plant minimum of 20k
stand per month, he has been using Ortiva top when it was 18k per 500ml. And if he hear there is other one better than that at 40k he will buy,Golan 2500 and me struggling to buy 1200 saaf, rich soil 700, or maybe I do not spray when am suppose to, will you compare it own result with my? That colleague I was referring to that his TOMATO fruit look like Padma is own key is manure, then the question is what type of manure?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 1:11pm On Jun 09, 2020
One guy saw me The day I was doing nursery, and he said " guy, this is not how to do tomato nursery,do bed and scatter the seed,then cover with light sand" of course what he said is true. I simply replied him, I think this is better way,wait let see the results. When he saw Me The day I was transplanting it (afternoon). He said "Dem no born anybody papa to try transplant this young tomato in afternoon,in local way" I just told him that one of the benefit of cocopeat and seedlings try. Another one saw me when I was doing staking and he said "nah wahala I dey do,nah ground tomato dey stay." I told him let see if my method will work. When he saw me plucking and spraying the farm, he said "engineer I have gain something never will I allow my TOMATO to stay ground" the purpose of my epistle is to let us know we can not be doing same thing often and often and be expecting different result. I have gain many things on nairaland..from ideepaul,jidestroud, Psalmy2cute,bosagro23 e.t.c pls let make Nigeria Great!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 1:28pm On Jun 09, 2020
Farmerakinloye6:
One guy saw me The day I was doing nursery, and he said " guy, this is not how to do tomato nursery,do bed and scatter the seed,then cover with light sand" of course what he said is true. I simply replied him, I think this is better way,wait let see the results. When he saw Me The day I was transplanting it (afternoon). He said "Dem no born anybody papa to try transplant this young tomato in afternoon,in local way" I just told him that one of the benefit of cocopeat and seedlings try. Another one saw me when I was doing staking and he said "nah wahala I dey do,nah ground tomato dey stay." I told him let see if my method will work. When he saw me plucking and spraying the farm, he said "engineer I have gain something never will I allow my TOMATO to stay ground" the purpose of my epistle is to let us know we can not be doing same thing often and often and be expecting different result. I have gain many things on nairaland..from madam jethro,jidestroud, Psalmy2cute.tc
Abeg no make my teachers them pursue from school o!
About people's comments, we just need to get used to that! Someone will still expect you to use 1950's method of cultivation as if that was God instructed them grin grin grin. I used a 30cm by 80cm spacing for corn in my garden, bros you need to listen to comments that came out from people's mouth, it was really disheartening. Thank God the maize yield was bountiful, even comments when my first experiments with tomato failed would have discouraged me, but I am not easily dissuaded. I have hit rock bottom in life once, so comments, accusations, gossip doesn't affect me greatly.
Just focus on what you know are the best agronomic practices and keep updating yourself everyday, RESULTS SPEAKS!

7 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 1:33pm On Jun 09, 2020
Farmerakinloye6:
from sambisa to badagry to my door step every tomato is sick at the moment,and the common one is fungi which you can manage. I don't no cabrio, but anything sygenta product to me is excellent. 1 litre will be 20k and 500mil 10k... maybe cheap in your area though.
Fruit borer are like the corn armyworm, don't let them enter your farm o, the effects are disastrous. 20k for 1 litre and I am complaining that cabrio of 6k is expensive grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 3:13pm On Jun 09, 2020
ideepaul:

Fruit borer are like the corn armyworm, don't let them enter your farm o, the effects are disastrous. 20k for 1 litre and I am complaining that cabrio of 6k is expensive grin grin grin
immediately I saw fruiting, I started alternating my insecticide as caterpillar foce( I convert 1 sachet to one litter,then use it 100ml per 16litres) spray like 4 times,then stop usage of any insecticide in my farm. Only saaf now am using.. I will stop it probably next week.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 2:19pm On Jun 16, 2020
For those looking for how to do raise bed, after you sow the seed, you will need to cover it with palm tree leaf for like 5_6 days for quick germination before you remove it.

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 2:41pm On Jun 16, 2020
A visit to one of my BOSS today

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 3:00pm On Jun 16, 2020
Jidestroud and farmerakinloye could you pls mention 2-3 cultivars you have cultivated with incredible features and results, I really want to trial 3 exciting cultivars around August. I am presently trialing Padma and it's exciting, I tried cobra before then and Padma beats it hands down so far
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 3:10pm On Jun 16, 2020
ideepaul:
Jidestroud and farmerakinloye could you pls mention 2-3 cultivars you have cultivated with incredible features and results, I really want to trial 3 exciting cultivars around August. I am presently trialing Padma and it's exciting, I tried cobra before then and Padma beats it hands down so far
Padma is good but cracking rate is the issue...anyday anytime platinum is the best,even Dem my boss planting at least 20k stand every month is planting only plantinum.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 3:23pm On Jun 16, 2020
Farmerakinloye6:
Padma is good but cracking rate is the issue...anyday anytime platinum is the best,even Dem my boss planting at least 20k stand every month is planting only plantinum.
I will definitely test this platinum, but my Padma is not cracking at all, and the fruits are very heavy if well taken care of. I just want to test 2-3 other cultivars to gain a better understanding of their individual characteristics
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 3:43pm On Jun 16, 2020
ideepaul:

I will definitely test this platinum, but my Padma is not cracking at all, and the fruits are very heavy if well taken care of. I just want to test 2-3 other cultivars to gain a better understanding of their individual characteristics
okay, but has the ripening start? Pls quote me When you pluck the first round...it maybe we are missing something here and we will need to improve (on Padma)
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 4:17pm On Jun 16, 2020
Farmerakinloye6:
okay, but has the ripening start? Pls quote me When you pluck the first round...it maybe we are missing something here and we will need to improve (on Padma)
Your cracking observation wt padma is right. I experienced it too. It was around december, probably due to hot weather. Aside that, its a fantastic variety.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 5:06pm On Jun 16, 2020
OluchiDelly:

Your cracking observation wt padma is right. I experienced it too. It was around december, probably due to hot weather. Aside that, its a fantastic variety.
I have started harvesting but only at the greenish red stage, maybe I will need to keep it to the bright red stage to observe this. Oga oluchidelly have you started selling the dwarf Okro seeds, and could you suggest other tomato cultivars you have laid your hands on pls
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 5:20pm On Jun 16, 2020
At the early stage and at the early stage and at the ripening stage

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 8:09pm On Jun 16, 2020
ideepaul:

I have started harvesting but only at the greenish red stage, maybe I will need to keep it to as bright red stage to observe this. Oga oluchidelly have you started selling the dwarf Okro seeds, and could you suggest other tomato cultivars you have laid your hands on pls
Not yet bro.
Not all fruits get cracked, just less than 10%, u may not experience it as its not yet dry season.
Not really planted much variety, some Cotonou variety n padma.

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 8:20pm On Jun 16, 2020
OluchiDelly:

Not yet bro.
Not all fruits get cracked, just less than 10%, u may not experience it as its not yet dry season.
Not really planted much variety, some Cotonou variety n padma.
How was the Cotonou yield and fruiting characteristics
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 8:53am On Jun 17, 2020
ideepaul:

How was the Cotonou yield and fruiting characteristics
Not too bad, not all markets accept it. Smaller sizes, Our local market here accept it well due to reason best know to them.

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by jidestroud(m): 9:09am On Jun 17, 2020
ideepaul:

Interesting one.
I'm not in anyways choosy when it comes to cultivars to use, neither do I have preference for any. Other factors influence my judgment when buying seeds aside the need to get first experience from much talked about cultivar.

The season of planting is my major determinant of cultivar to use. It helps me develop the strategy to employed through the growing periods, which includes;

* Cultural practice & Biological methods to help curb expected diseases predisposed to such variety.
* Seed treatment,
* Improved drainage & proper sanitation.

Trust me, even the best of Cobra, Padma, Platinum etc. will succumb to none stop heavy rainfall (No tomato can, I stand to be corrected).

Moreover, during my stay in the North, I never even saw these hybrid varieties being farmed. Wetin concern them with hybrids? Uc 28b and others where used mostly and they are having excellent results walahi.

Nevertheless, if your choice is based on other characteristics of the cultivar in question, such as; taste, size, flavour, etc. then, that's a different one altogether. My preference would tilt towards the Roma cultivar.

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 9:54am On Jun 17, 2020
OluchiDelly:

Not too bad, not all markets accept it. Smaller sizes, Our local market here accept it well due to reason best know to them.
looks similar to the one I accidentally cultivated, our people call it benue tomato, it's only accepted during the peak of scarcity, it's sweet, high yielding but oblong, small and not firm
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by uche393: 9:56am On Jun 17, 2020
OluchiDelly:

it looks like ROMA variety
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 10:24am On Jun 17, 2020
jidestroud:

Interesting one.
I'm not in anyways choosy when it comes to cultivars to use, neither do I have preference for any. Other factors influence my judgment when buying seeds aside the need to get first experience from much talked about cultivar.

The season of planting is my major determinant of cultivar to use. It helps me develop the strategy to employed through the growing periods, which includes;

* Cultural practice & Biological methods to help curb expected diseases predisposed to such variety.
* Seed treatment,
* Improved drainage & proper sanitation.

Trust me, even the best of Cobra, Padma, Platinum etc. will succumb to none stop heavy rainfall (No tomato can, I stand to be corrected).

Moreover, during my stay in the North, I never even saw these hybrid varieties being farmed. Wetin concern them with hybrids? Uc 28b and others where used mostly and they are having excellent results walahi.

Nevertheless, if your choice is based on other characteristics of the cultivar in question, such as; taste, size, flavour, etc. then, that's a different one altogether. My preference would tilt towards the Roma cultivar.
UC 28 and all the opvs would be a suicide mission during the rainy seasons of Akwa Ibom State. All tomato cultivars would succumb to the rains of the South South zone, but can be managed with GAP.
Testing suitable hybrids gives one a headstart, and exposes the characteristics of these cultivars, with respect to disease resistance, growth habit. Also, fruiting habits, shape, taste, firmness, market acceptance. We can't invest our hard earned resources just based on hearsay by seed companies and co-farmers, I need to test that it favours my environmental growing conditions.
About 2 months ago, I had the cucumber cultivars I was interested in cultivating, only for me to realise that Uyo seed sellers only had Saira and Nandini by east west(not very popular cultivars, except within Uyo), and one, I had no alternative due to the lockdown and scarcity of seeds nationwide.
I intend to avoid such scenarios next time, by testing cultivars locally available, and comparing them with other options I can lay my hands on.
2 out of the 3 cultivars I am interested in are difficult to access
platinum F1 - readily available and in small quantities
cobra34 F1 - Don't even know who is selling and most likely still available in only 50g cans
Gamhar F1 - Expensive and not economical to waybill less than a thousand seeds( I really need to test this seed)

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 10:36am On Jun 17, 2020
ideepaul:

looks similar to the one I accidentally cultivated, our people call it benue tomato, it's only accepted during the peak of scarcity, it's sweet, high yielding but oblong, small and not firm
It is.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 10:39am On Jun 17, 2020
uche393:
it looks like ROMA variety
It's not, Roma is bigger n bulkier.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (69) (Reply)

Practical Broiler Production, A Step By Step Tutorial With Pictures 150 birds / A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos / My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.