Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,307 members, 7,829,727 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES - Agriculture (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES (142509 Views)

My Experience Cultivating 10 Hecters (25 Acres) Of Maize Farm Land / Cost Of Cultivating Cassava Farm On An Hectare / Cost Of Cultivating 1 Hectare Of Okra & Pepper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (69) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Alsenora: 2:14pm On Apr 26, 2023
Lols...these are improvised staking mallets...
Farmerakinloye6:
Think about what to use to substitute hammer to erect your staking Baboo, you can do something like this, very effective!
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by tessy990(m): 2:29pm On Apr 26, 2023
Good afternoon everyone, please I'm currently experiencing this on my plant. Any help on how to eradicate this will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Alsenora: 2:29pm On Apr 26, 2023
Your never give up stance is inspiring sir.
Omonaijani:

Sorry for your loss, please get up and start working, never lose hope.

Last year I lost one acre of tomatoes because there was no consistent rain and the tomatoes were not on drip tape, by September when I finally fix drip and transplanted another one acre of tomatoes, I still loss everything because the sep/Oct rain was just too much.

Then I prepared one acre for cucumber to be sold by Early January and still loss everything even though I had it on fully irritated land because there was no rain at all for Dec,Jan and February here in Ogun state; the sun was too much, I had the cucs on ridges, there was no fuel this period and the variety I used could not withstand all the stress.

I did another one acre of Hybrid Okra by December on fully irrigated land and still lost everything because of the above condition.

But you know what, I didn't need anybody to tell me to move on because I had been making money from this same crops before; for instance, this year now I have 2 acres of cucs and 1 acre of tomatoes, I have harvested 3 times from one of the cucumber that is ready and started paying the debts I accumulated last year, we die here ni o.

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 8:30am On Apr 28, 2023
tessy990:
Good afternoon everyone, please I'm currently experiencing this on my plant. Any help on how to eradicate this will be highly appreciated. Thanks
The information you provided is not enough.. you need to show us More. When do you transplant? When do you notice the plant dying?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by tessy990(m): 11:49pm On Apr 28, 2023
Farmerakinloye6:
The information you provided is not enough.. you need to show us More. When do you transplant? When do you notice the plant dying?

I did the transplanting march 31st, and I started noticing this on Tuesday.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Simfglobal: 6:16am On May 03, 2023
tessy990:

I did the transplanting march 31st, and I started noticing this on Tuesday.

I will ask the following questions based on experience:
1. Did you spray herbicide during your land preparation? That's my prime suspect.

2. Is your water clean, hope it's not treated with any chemical. Did you irrigate well?

3. Are there any undecomposed weed or leaves under your bed?

4. Lastly, but not likely...it could be nematodes, remove the dying ones immediately and check their Roots.

My humble submission sir
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by mcyemite(m): 8:01pm On May 03, 2023
Simfglobal:

1. Did you spray herbicide during your land preparation? That's my prime suspect.

2. Is your water clean, hope it's not treated with any chemical. Did you irrigate well?

4. Lastly, but not likely...it could be nematodes, remove the dying ones immediately and check their Roots.

My humble submission sir

I would like to ask ,what would undecomposed weed or leaves do to a tomato plants...
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by tessy990(m): 8:37pm On May 03, 2023
Simfglobal:

My humble submission sir

1. I sprayed the land with sunphophate 2 weeks before transplanting which I think it's the residue that's acting on the tomato because I transplanted another batch some days ago, which few number of it got dry up.
2. The water that is being use for irrigation is clean. The whole farm is fully irrigated.
3. No decomposed weed on the bed
4. I checked the root which was dry, so I believe that the herbicide is the main cause here.
Thanks so much for your suggestion
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Olajobi4real: 9:37pm On May 03, 2023
7thweek small or big

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Olajobi4real: 9:42pm On May 03, 2023
Good evening my fellow farmers my plants are in their 7th week are they smaller when compared with their age, if they are smaller what can I do to increase their sizes, meanwhile I use 2kg of potassium for 3000ltrs of water twice a week

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Simfglobal: 6:49am On May 04, 2023
Olajobi4real:
Good evening my fellow farmers my plants are in their 7th week are they smaller when compared with their age, if they are smaller what can I do to increase their sizes, meanwhile I use 2kg of potassium for 3000ltrs of water twice a week

They are doing fine.
7 weeks after transplanting or 7th week from planting
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Simfglobal: 6:49am On May 04, 2023
Olajobi4real:
7thweek small or big
What variety please
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Simfglobal: 6:53am On May 04, 2023
mcyemite:

I would like to ask ,what would undecomposed weed or leaves do to a tomato plants...

Decomposition process evolves heat which can kill the plant as the heat will affect the root. Maize or some other crops may not be affected but vegetables are very susceptible
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by SALAUHAFIZ(m): 7:02am On May 04, 2023
Undecomposed weed or leaves can affect tomato plants in various ways. Firstly, they can serve as a breeding ground for pests and diseases that can harm your plants. Secondly, undecomposed organic matter in the soil can lead to nitrogen imbalance, which can result in stunted growth and reduced fruit production. Additionally, the presence of undecomposed weeds or leaves can also hinder water and nutrient uptake by the tomato plants, leading to wilting and nutrient deficiencies.

It is important to properly decompose any organic matter before using it as fertilizer for your tomato plants.

This can be done by composting the organic matter for a few weeks before using it in your garden.

You can also mix in some nitrogen-rich fertilizer or manure to balance out the nitrogen content and avoid any negative effects on your plants.

Trust these suits your question?

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Simfglobal: 11:28am On May 04, 2023
A big hausa tomato basket in shasha Ibadan is now 50,000. Fellow farmers, what's the price update from your local market?

It seems tomato will be gold this year....I smell money for smart farmers

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Olajobi4real: 7:52pm On May 04, 2023
7th week after transplanting
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by IamAsiri: 11:41pm On May 05, 2023
Simfglobal:
A big hausa tomato basket in shasha Ibadan is now 50,000. Fellow farmers, what's the price update from your local market?

It seems tomato will be gold this year....I smell money for smart farmers

I learnt it's 60k in Osogbo embarassed.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 8:05pm On May 11, 2023
Exactly 72 old days today.. this back to back sun suffer my tomato no be small angry! It up to a month now we see heavy rain fall here, and for the for first time am using at least 3lit to irrigate every day. I don't prune at all except when we removed the down branch at early stage.

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 8:14pm On May 11, 2023
This diva is exactly 34 old today..

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Joy1273: 9:03pm On May 11, 2023
Farmerakinloye6:
This diva is exactly 34 old today..
Great work Boss! It's like you have shorter bamboo stakes in the 72 days old farm and longer stakes in the Diva farm. Are they not all determinate tomatoes? I want to know why you changed your staking method.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Joy1273: 9:11pm On May 11, 2023
Please is staking and trellis actually very necessary for open field determinate tomatoes farming? I noticed that no farmer in my locality bother to stake up their tomatoes. I'm really ready to be mocked for staking mine, thus I need to know what different things to expect in my farm because of my staking and trellis (Cobra F1 tomatoes)
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 9:18pm On May 11, 2023
Joy1273:
Great work Boss! It's like you have shorter bamboo stakes in the 72 days old farm and longer stakes in the Diva farm. Are they not all determinate tomatoes? I want to know why you changed your staking method.
it still thesame method and height, at 72 old it expected to be tall than the stake Baboo by 85 old ripening will begin...

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 9:24pm On May 11, 2023
Joy1273:
Please is staking and trellis actually very necessary for open field determinate tomatoes farming? I noticed that no farmer in my locality bother to stake up their tomatoes. I'm really ready to be mocked for staking mine, thus I need to know what different things to expect in my farm because of my staking and trellis (Cobra F1 tomatoes)
not only necessary but compulsory, if you are planting local no problem because the Way the fruit will set most will survive, unlike hybrid most will rotten!

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:58am On May 12, 2023
A crate at the moment range between 18k -15k...

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by johnnyblaze424: 12:40pm On May 12, 2023
Seems the planting of tomato will not follow the usual pattern this year. Imagine how everywhere is dry by may. Its my opinion that tomato will be very expensive this year. Smart farmers will smile this year
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Simfglobal: 3:15pm On May 12, 2023
You are right o....the drought plus sun intensity is super. We hope the price of tomatoes will compensate farmers for their wahala.

It rain once here this month so far, the once can not even be used for transplanting. Almost two weeks now, no rain.

A local farmer here prepared nursery of tomatoes if about 15,000 seedlings, as I'm typing now, he can't boast of 500 tomatoes well established.

What can we do to maintain our tomatoes in times like this to have maximum yield
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Alsenora: 5:04pm On May 12, 2023
Rain dependent farms will most likely fail with the current weather. Even the weather forecastes by our meteorologists aren't accurate. Our climate is no longer predictable or comaparble to past years to determine present reality.
Simfglobal:
You are right o....the drought plus sun intensity is super. We hope the price of tomatoes will compensate farmers for their wahala.

It rain once here this month so far, the once can not even be used for transplanting. Almost two weeks now, no rain.

A local farmer here prepared nursery of tomatoes if about 15,000 seedlings, as I'm typing now, he can't boast of 500 tomatoes well established.

What can we do to maintain our tomatoes in times like this to have maximum yield
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by grandpoh(m): 10:37pm On May 12, 2023
The market will surprise us this year, but then how many of us can actually manage our farms with this hot sun
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by alexanderrguian(m): 12:09am On May 13, 2023
Farm manager needed, an agronomist needed in Ibadan. Chat me up on 08173169429
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by REUBEN010(m): 3:39pm On May 13, 2023
Cobra 26F1 35 days after transplanting. Flowers blooming and developing fruits.
Please I need your suggestions and criticisms for improvement.

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Cizarr(m): 4:00pm On May 13, 2023
I transplanted my seedlings tomatoes, rain fell once and beat all them to death cry
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by REUBEN010(m): 4:09pm On May 13, 2023
Cizarr:
I transplanted my seedlings tomatoes, rain fell once and beat all them to death cry

Your transplanting may not be rightly done or the seedlings were immature for transplant. I had rains while transplanting and this aided in overcoming transplant shock.

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (69) (Reply)

A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos / My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna / Cost Analysis For 1,000 to 3000 Poultry (layers) Capacity & Feed Mill In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.