Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,460 members, 7,812,409 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:57 PM

Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES - Agriculture (46) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES (140012 Views)

My Experience Cultivating 10 Hecters (25 Acres) Of Maize Farm Land / Cost Of Cultivating Cassava Farm On An Hectare / Cost Of Cultivating 1 Hectare Of Okra & Pepper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (69) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by solarized: 4:13pm On Feb 14, 2023
Farmerakinloye6:
I have drop SAAF since last year. I used fungus force through out last year, it has the same active ingredient with SAAF.

Thank you boss cool
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by betabread: 9:18pm On Feb 16, 2023
Sir, I have 2 question:
1.) Whats ur strategy negotiating with farm laborers.....As a modern farmer ur jobs on the farm is way way different from tilling which laborers are used to
2.)Aside drip have u explored other irrigation methods, there are some lands in valley areas in my side which just need to be irrigated a maximum of 3times in the dry season, if u could just flood the land(not for tomato per se)
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by mcyemite(m): 9:24pm On Feb 16, 2023
Senior man, @farmerakinloye6 na you give us date oo February 15,and we believe your calculations are right...

May everything (weather,climate, government policies etc) work in our favour this year....

3 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:25am On Feb 19, 2023
mcyemite:
Senior man, @farmerakinloye6 na you give us date oo February 15,and we believe your calculations are right...

May everything (weather,climate, government policies etc) work in our favour this year....
nice đź’Ş...I will start my own next month. Keep us up!

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by mcyemite(m): 11:23am On Feb 19, 2023
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by mcyemite(m): 11:24am On Feb 19, 2023
Farmerakinloye6:
why the delay,you want it to meet ileya sales?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by XAUBulls: 1:17am On Feb 27, 2023
w17852865216:
Hi brother, do you now let workers hand wash these crate? If you need, our washer can help you wash them in less time, thus reducing labor costs, please refer to the pictures and videos below:
https://crate-wash.com/industrial-washers/crate-washer-design.html
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Bishopatra: 3:29pm On Mar 04, 2023
Has anybody planted Ansal F1 tomatoes,it's a very good tomatoes,with big fruits too,it's also good for the rainy season
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by pathology(m): 5:33pm On Mar 06, 2023
pls what's the best planting between tomatoes plants
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Avuu2204(f): 4:45pm On Mar 07, 2023
Farmerakinloye6:

I did a field nursery with Platinum F1 on Feb. 22nd and I sprayed insecticide/fungicide on the bed prior to planting the seeds.

Noticed that half of the seeds did not germinate. Have you ever experienced this with nursery beds? I was wondering what could’ve gone wrong because I didn’t experience that when we used to plant local varieties.

Could this mean the soil type won’t sustain Platinum F1 if transplanted?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by mcyemite(m): 5:15pm On Mar 08, 2023
Avuu2204:

I did a field nursery with Platinum F1 on Feb. 22nd and I sprayed insecticide/fungicide on the bed prior to planting the seeds.

Noticed that half of the seeds did not germinate. Have you ever experienced this with nursery beds? I was wondering what could’ve gone wrong because I didn’t experience that when we used to plant local varieties.

give it sometime...keep wetting the bed.

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 9:54pm On Mar 08, 2023
mcyemite:

give it sometime...keep wetting the bed.

its 2 weeks, she said since feb 22nd. tom seed takes less than 5days maybe extra 2 days if something goes wrong.

Avuu2204:

soil should not be your problem since u have don it before with local breed.
1. did you cover it with leaves to induce warmth/heat and to minimize evaporation?
2. in dry season open field nursery, unlike during rainy season, you wl need to remove the leaves midway (like on the 3rd day) , wet it again and then return the leaves. possibly the ones that did not receive enough water are the ones that did not germinate well.
3. the mass of sand you used to cover the seed should not be too heavy on the seed otherwise you wl be conducting burial service for the seed.
4. i hope you are not been carried away by the denser population of seedlings from local breed nursery? just because local seed is too cheap, some farmers close theie eyes and broadcast it heavily and this result into a denser pop of seedlings. but hybrids are always scanty inside their sachets...so you get what you broadcast.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 9:58pm On Mar 08, 2023
pathology:
pls what's the best planting between tomatoes plants

planting what? time or variety? throw more light bros
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by saysoo: 1:21am On Mar 09, 2023
OluchiDelly:

its 2 weeks, she said since feb 22nd. tom seed takes less than 5days maybe extra 2 days if something goes wrong.

1. did you cover it with leaves to induce warmth/heat and to minimize evaporation?
2. in dry season open field nursery, unlike during rainy season, you wl need to remove the leaves midway (like on the 3rd day) , wet it again and then return the leaves. possibly the ones that did not receive enough water are the ones that did not germinate well.
3. the mass of sand you used to cover the seed should not be too heavy on the seed otherwise you wl be conducting burial service for the seed.
4. i hope you are not been carried away by the denser population of seedlings from local breed nursery? just because local seed is too cheap, some farmers close theie eyes and broadcast it heavily and this result into a denser pop of seedlings. but hybrids are always scanty inside their sachets...so you get what you broadcast.
No 3 though.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Bishopatra: 8:21am On Mar 09, 2023
Avuu2204:

Op,Yes, you are right,hybrid seeds especially the modern ones do not do well on raised bed nursery,best bet is to get a tray,and buy a good potting soil,or original Coco peat and nurse them with these mediums.
As d world is getting modernised,so also is farming been modernised.
Buy a new seed pack,and get a potting soil,and plant your hybrid seeds there.
Our own local seeds are much more suited to the raised bed nursery,likewise if U plant local seeds with potting soil,U might experience sparse germination too
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Avuu2204(f): 4:06pm On Mar 09, 2023
Avuu2204:

Thanks everyone for your input.
@Oluchi Delly without writing too much, I basically did everything you wrote up there. I have the manpower and supervision.

While I did the platinum on nursery beds, I also had a batch of Diva in trays and few on beds— those turn out okay now that we are checking.

One thing I found was that the platinum seeds expires in 5 months while the Diva has a longer expiration. I am assuming this might also be a factor.

The ungerminated platinum seeds were just there sadly.
[quote au
OluchiDelly:

thor=sayso
OluchiDelly:

o post=121590131]
No 3 though.
[/quote]
Thanks everyone for your input.
@Oluchi Delly without writing too much, I basically did everything you wrote up there. I have the manpower and supervision.

While I did the platinum on nursery beds, I also had a batch of Diva in trays and few on beds— those turn out okay now that we are checking.

One thing I found was that the platinum seeds expires in 5 months while the Diva has a longer expiration. I am assuming this might also be a factor.

The ungerminated platinum seeds were just there sadly.

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Avuu2204(f): 4:53pm On Mar 09, 2023
Does anyone know places to buy Platinum F1 seed in Ibadan or Osogbo?

I got the last one which is near expiration from our main supplier in Ibadan and they seem to not have a new batch.

I do not want to take chances by buying from the same stock.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Adeoye007(m): 8:17am On Mar 11, 2023
Get in touch with Solokad in Ogunpa in Ibadan.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by pathology(m): 11:32pm On Mar 11, 2023
planting distance

OluchiDelly:

planting what? time or variety? throw more light bros
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 2:09am On Mar 13, 2023
pathology:
planting distance

This question has long been settled on this thread. Check out page 30 for details.

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by pathology(m): 5:18pm On Mar 13, 2023
thank u for the response

OluchiDelly:

This question has long been settled on this thread. Check out page 30 for details.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by solarized: 6:25pm On Mar 13, 2023
How long does it take tomatoes to recover from transplant shock?
Mine is two days now and the plant will stand erect in the morning and evening only.
Is there anything that can be done to assist the plant?
I observe some of the plants got burned leaves from the scorching sun from day one of the transplant. Farmers around me said they will recover. Is this true?
Thanks as you reply on these concerns.

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Aquadude16: 5:22am On Mar 14, 2023
solarized:
How long does it take tomatoes to recover from transplant shock?
Mine is two days now and the plant will stand erect in the morning and evening only.
Is there anything that can be done to assist the plant?
I observe some of the plants got burned leaves from the scorching sun from day one of the transplant. Farmers around me said they will recover. Is this true?
Thanks as you reply on these concerns.

They will recover in few days time.
Just continue watering
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by solarized: 10:21am On Mar 14, 2023
Thanks for your response.
I hope to send a positive update in few days then.
By the way, I water only in the morning.

Aquadude16:

They will recover in few days time.
Just continue watering
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by sainteve4r(m): 11:04am On Mar 18, 2023
I salute all our bosses in the house.
Please i like to try open field tomato farm this year as money no dey for irrigation for now. Please what are the challenges i should prepare for?
Thanks
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by mcyemite(m): 1:19pm On Mar 20, 2023
Good day senior farmers in the house...

Please I need urgent help.
My diva F1 plants are wilting just after they started flowering.. platinum are standing strong in the same location but divas are wilting what could be the issue please.

@Oluchidelly
@farmerakinloye6
@aqudude16

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by TosinOnofua: 2:10pm On Mar 20, 2023
Nematodes

mcyemite:

My diva F1 plants are wilting just after they started flowering.. platinum are standing strong in the same location but divas are wilting what could be the issue please.

@Oluchidelly
@farmerakinloye6
@aqudude16
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by TosinOnofua: 2:10pm On Mar 20, 2023
Buy Greenland nematicide and fertigate
mcyemite:

@Oluchidelly
@farmerakinloye6
@aqudude16
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 1:34am On Mar 21, 2023
mcyemite:

@Oluchidelly
@farmerakinloye6
@aqudude16

Did you treat the soil with nematicide?
Uproot one or two infected ones and check the roots for nematode infestation. You can snap and post the roots zone if you don't know how to check for nematode. 2nd suspect is likely BW.
Unlike Padma and platinum F1, I don't think EWS really provide details of diff disease resistance of diva F1 in the public domain. Diva is meant to scale up in size (and color) above platinum. When sizes get bigger, one or two disease resistance is usually sacrificed. Thats what you experienced on your farm between the two. This is also applicable to cobra 26 and cobra 34 where the latter sacrificed Vd resistance for it's bigger size.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 6:56am On Mar 21, 2023
mcyemite:

@Oluchidelly
@farmerakinloye6
@aqudude16
it bacteria wilt. It happen to few stand of diva ( like 15 out 3000 stand) when I planted both plantinum and diva together last year.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:04am On Mar 21, 2023
New dairy begins... I transplanted yesterday but I told my boy to spray the land before we transplant.

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by DeejaywonDJ1(m): 6:18pm On Mar 21, 2023
Farmerakinloye6:
it bacteria wilt. It happen to few stand of diva ( like 15 out 3000 stand) when I planted both plantinum and diva together last year.

I'm experiencing the same thing

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (69) (Reply)

Practical Broiler Production, A Step By Step Tutorial With Pictures 150 birds / A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos / My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.