Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:32 AM

Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES - Agriculture (53) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES (140703 Views)

My Experience Cultivating 10 Hecters (25 Acres) Of Maize Farm Land / Cost Of Cultivating Cassava Farm On An Hectare / Cost Of Cultivating 1 Hectare Of Okra & Pepper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (69) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Davidson267(m): 3:53pm On Jun 05, 2023
Farmerakinloye6:
what you describe is blight, which I fear pass in all disease that affect tomato.you supposed to introduce that five star to your plant when is exactly a month on field at 15ml per 16 in the evening and at least once in three weeks, you can increase the dosage to 20ml if the disease is obvious. Before you plant or do nursery in that area make sure you remove and burn the debris of the old one, else the disease will transfer to the new one.
Thanks a lot boss
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Simfglobal: 5:45pm On Jun 05, 2023
OluchiDelly:

Ile ife
Pls reach me on 09156. 230.760 to avoid derailing the thread .
Okay
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 6:17pm On Jun 05, 2023
Farmerakinloye6:
Price range between 20-17k this morning but I sold 17k for those that want resell it at thesame spot.

I sent you a DM in order not to derail your thread, u no even manage acknowledge/reply despite reading the msg.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Veddywhite: 3:57am On Jun 06, 2023
Hello guys if a set my farm in a way that I have 3 acres for sell every months is there market for it… like will I be able to sell them easily?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by REUBEN010(m): 5:28am On Jun 06, 2023
Veddywhite:
Hello guys if a set my farm in a way that I have 3 acres for sell every months is there market for it… like will I be able to sell them easily?

1. Do you have the experience and tenacity to run 3 acres effectively?
2. It will be too risky to set up 3 acres in batches. Losses will be higher if production or the market messes up. Not even Mile 12 market will bail you out.

I'll suggest you start small, learn the ropes, and upscale gradually. There's a reason most of us here are operating an acre or less at a time. It doesn't mean we are not interested in the revenue, overwhelming ourselves with too much is just not worth it.

6 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Joy1273: 1:14pm On Jun 06, 2023
Olajobi4real:
Good afternoon my great farmers in the house please I need cobra seed
Greetings to everyone! Please my gurus, someone wants to sell a tin of tomatoes seeds (Cobra F1) that was opened last year's planting season but didn't finish it. He said he covered it very well and intended planting it this year but couldn't because he had fractured legs. My worry is if it can still germinate if not used immediately after opening the tin? Please anyone that has such experience should guide me to avoid mistake. Meanwhile, the seeds are not available in my location for now. The ones available in the stores are the 5g satchets (not Cobra) which many farmers believe don't do well.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by tpben: 1:37pm On Jun 06, 2023
Joy1273:

Greetings to everyone! Please my gurus, someone wants to sell a tin of tomatoes seeds (Cobra F1) that was opened last year's planting season but didn't finish it. He said he covered it very well and intended planting it this year but couldn't because he had fractured legs. My worry is if it can still germinate if not used immediately after opening the tin? Please anyone that has such experience should guide me to avoid mistake. Meanwhile, the seeds are not available in my location for now. The ones available in the stores are the 5g satchets (not Cobra) which many farmers believe don't do well.

Don't ever buy it. Germination chance is 3%

Unless you pay after germination

2 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by mcyemite(m): 4:03pm On Jun 06, 2023
Farmerakinloye6:
Did another nursery yesterday... first time I will be planting Cobra...let see if it Worth it cheesy.
I am really interested in this project...the battle between cobra and Platinum is about to be settled
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by mcyemite(m): 4:11pm On Jun 06, 2023
Farmerakinloye6:
sorry about that...I have like 3500 diva seedlings in nursery, I will post about it when I transplant.

Boss ,I would like to know, how well did the diva plant do after transplantating them..
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Veddywhite: 5:26pm On Jun 06, 2023
REUBEN010:

1. Do you have the experience and tenacity to run 3 acres effectively?
2. It will be too risky to set up 3 acres in batches. Losses will be higher if production or the market messes up. Not even Mile 12 market will bail you out.

I'll suggest you start small, learn the ropes, and upscale gradually. There's a reason most of us here are operating an acre or less at a time. It doesn't mean we are not interested in the revenue, overwhelming ourselves with too much is just not worth it.
We are planning on employing an agronomists and marketers that will deal with agents in all major markets in Nigeria.. what do you think
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Aquadude16: 8:23pm On Jun 06, 2023
Veddywhite:

We are planning on employing an agronomists and marketers that will deal with agents in all major markets in Nigeria.. what do you think
Bros follow this man advise.
Agric and agric business isn't theory oooo.
Start small then upscale.
But if 3 acres means starting small for you, then you are good to go

3 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by betabread: 8:38pm On Jun 06, 2023
Veddywhite:

Hmmm, except during glut, tomato sells itself, u really don’t need all d marketers and agent,

Imagine u have 4 hectares of tomato ready.... I bet u wont be able to leave ur farm gate....The fight for ur produce will be helele.....,,

Every body plus ur workers would be strategizing to rob u in broad daylight
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by REUBEN010(m): 8:08am On Jun 07, 2023
Veddywhite:

3acres intermittently is still too big in my opinion. Spread your market risks by diversifying into other high hectare value crops (cucumbers, watermelon etc.); target your production to coincide with market scarcity of your selected enterprises; and employ the services of seasoned experts or consultants for proper guidance and management so you don't end up wasting your capital.

This is just what I'll do if I'm in your shoes.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 9:21am On Jun 07, 2023
Veddywhite:
I agree with all REUBEN010 wrote! 3 acres for sell every months is possible in my own opinion because there is market for it anytime any day. However, you need to be serious, you will need at least 40 permanent workers for effectiveness and truck. Market is available in south south, South East and Lagos. Your problem will be disease and labourer management. Ready to listen and don't be greedy as you venture into this tedious and lucrative business! Good luck! My one cent!
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Joy1273: 2:05pm On Jun 07, 2023
tpben:

Don't ever buy it. Germination chance is 3%

Unless you pay after germination
Thanks so much for your advice. The scarcity of the seeds in the stores led me to consider this sympathetic patronage.

Come to think of the ongoing drama about this matter. One man close by has already added #500 to what I priced in order to buy it. The owner rejected his offer and insisted on hearing from me first. He called me this morning to know if I'm still interested. Meanwhile, the new customer has already pleaded with me to sell some portion to him. He was very happy when I told him to go ahead and buy all. He said he has even planted the one that was opened for more than two years and it still did very well. As a small beginner, I don't want to take such risk for now. I will keep in touch with him to know how it goes. Thanks once more.

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Chidiebubeoji: 9:23pm On Jun 07, 2023
K noted. Thanks
Farmerakinloye6:
105 or 128 cell.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Olajobi4real: 8:32pm On Jun 08, 2023
Hello great. Farmers my plants are five week after transplanting but their growth in stem are slim fruit are not much on them

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by flowmama: 8:39pm On Jun 08, 2023
Olajobi4real:
Hello great. Farmers my plants are five week after transplanting but their growth in stem are slim fruit are not much on them

Did you apply any high Nitrogeneos fertilizer at vegetative stage?
Their stems should be bulky a bit if you did, even if it was NPK151515, they should have been better.

All the best sir
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Veddywhite: 9:52am On Jun 09, 2023
I am really confused about nairaland is it only people that have few hundred thousand that are here because I no understand ooo… I know few farms that cultivate different crops on like 30 to 50 acres and they started with 20 And they’re successful now… they own personal cars. The only thing I see on nairaland is 2plot success of tomatoes or cucumber, 2acres failure of tomatoes…. Nah only 2-3plot una Dey get success for here? Must I start from 2 plots? What if I have like 10 - 20 million to start a agribusiness where I am gonna have agronomists- marketers-contracted laborers-security…. I go con carry 20million for hand con go Dey cultivate 2plots? I have never see a successful 5 acres of tomatoes farm here but I know some and have even see some on Facebook… nah only newbies Dey here? Abi nah fund issue?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by REUBEN010(m): 10:42am On Jun 09, 2023
Veddywhite:
I am really confused about nairaland is it only people that have few hundred thousand that are here because I no understand ooo… I know few farms that cultivate different crops on like 30 to 50 acres and they started with 20 And they’re successful now… they own personal cars. The only thing I see on nairaland is 2plot success of tomatoes or cucumber, 2acres failure of tomatoes…. Nah only 2-3plot una Dey get success for here? Must I start from 2 plots? What if I have like 10 - 20 million to start a agribusiness where I am gonna have agronomists- marketers-contracted laborers-security…. I go con carry 20million for hand con go Dey cultivate 2plots? I have never see a successful 5 acres of tomatoes farm here but I know some and have even see some on Facebook… nah only newbies Dey here? Abi nah fund issue?

Last year I got 10 acres for cultivation and planned getting more for successive planting. I wasted funds in clearing, land preparation, transplanting and was only able to cultivate 2 acres successfully because workers dealt with me. I learnt my lessons and decided to downsize to 3 acres this year.
You will always meet online farmers that exaggerate things just to lure newbies for consultancy.

Bros my mouth don dey pain me because of too much talk talk.
Money belongs to you;
Land belongs to you;
Head belongs to you;
Heart belongs to you.

Go ahead with your plans. If the project becomes successful, good for you but if things go bad, you'll face the headache and heartache alone. Just because we are straightforward with our experiences and results doesn't mean we are paupers.

4 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Veddywhite: 10:55am On Jun 09, 2023
REUBEN010:

Last year I got 10 acres for cultivation and planned getting more for successive planting. I wasted funds in clearing, land preparation, transplanting and was only able to cultivate 2 acres successfully because workers dealt with me. I learnt my lessons and decided to downsize to 3 acres this year.
You will always meet online farmers that exaggerate things just to lure newbies for consultancy.

Bros
Money belongs to you;
Land belongs to you;
Head belongs to you;
Heart belongs to you.

Go ahead with your plans. If the project becomes successful, good for you but if things go bad, you'll face the headache and heartache alone. Just because we are straightforward with our practices and results doesn't mean we are paupers.
What I am saying is that there many farms that are not more than 5years and they own like 2 hilux few farm trucks….. why is it that we have trend of 3 years on nairaland and all I could see is 2plot of tomatoes on the same trend since 3years…. Is it that it not profitable or when them scale up they stop coming to nairaland? In fact my father gave some some land to cultivate tomatoes last year… they have expanded this year to a bigger space if I give those women 3years they will cultivate up 10acares soon… why is there no development in a trend of over 5yrs it still same 3plot of tomatoes or cucumbers or pepper

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by johnnyblaze424: 11:06am On Jun 09, 2023
Veddywhite:

What I am saying is that there many farms that are not more than 5years and they own like 2 hilux few farm trucks….. why is it that we have trend of 3 years on nairaland and all I could see is 2plot of tomatoes on the same trend since 3years…. Is it that it not profitable or when them scale up they stop coming to nairaland? In fact my father gave some some land to cultivate tomatoes last year… they have expanded this year to a bigger space if I give those women 3years they will cultivate up 10acares soon… why is there no development in a trend of over 5yrs it still same 3plot of tomatoes or cucumbers or pepper

oga calm down, you've just answered your question above, when people upscale they naturally tend to become busier, hence you get less feedback from them.
a typical example is jethro2, okoroemeka just to name a few

4 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by REUBEN010(m): 11:23am On Jun 09, 2023
Veddywhite:

RISK MANAGEMENT.
A lot of us have other enterprises. Aside tomatoes, some of us here cultivate pepper, watermelon, yam, cucumber etc. I have 1 acre of pepper in addition to my 2 acres of tomatoes of different ages but we don't need to start showing off all our enterprises. Besides, do you think the local seed farmers expend all the resources (staking, time and agro chemicals) we expend on our hybrid tomatoes?
Imagine what is currently happening to the sole cropping tomato farmers up North that are currently ravaged by Tuta absoluta (tomato Ebola). This is the reason many diversify into other enterprises to spread our risks and we don't jump out to declare all our enterprises. A 2plots tomatoes farmer may have 10 acres of cassava elsewhere.

2 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Veddywhite: 1:40pm On Jun 09, 2023
Wow thanks for your replies… I feel you guys 100
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by betabread: 3:13pm On Jun 09, 2023
Veddywhite:
I am really confused about nairaland is it only people that have few hundred thousand that are here because I no understand ooo… I know few farms that cultivate different crops on like 30 to 50 acres and they started with 20 And they’re successful now… they own personal cars. The only thing I see on nairaland is 2plot success of tomatoes or cucumber, 2acres failure of tomatoes…. Nah only 2-3plot una Dey get success for here? Must I start from 2 plots? [b]What if I have like 10 - 20 million to start a agribusiness where I am gonna have agronomists- marketers-contracted laborers-security…. [/b]I go con carry 20million for hand con go Dey cultivate 2plots? I have never see a successful 5 acres of tomatoes farm here but I know some and have even see some on Facebook… nah only newbies Dey here? Abi nah fund issue?

This is where extension comes in...... pls respect any farmer that offers to share his experience on this platform as they can help you not loose all your money.....

Yes you can invest that 20million on 2 plots and still make profit......

Many farmers here are all targeting off-season products, this constrains your scale considerably as to scale outwards would need considerable industrial technology and manpower in conjunction with agronomics......

As extension is virtually non-existent in The country, we are left with the scraps seed sellers teach out as extension just so that they can sell their seeds...... Even the seed sellers are afraid of farmers making it the modern way as the farmers would bypass them and go direct to the manufacturers
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by mencer(m): 5:00pm On Jun 09, 2023
Veddywhite:
I am really confused about nairaland is it only people that have few hundred thousand that are here because I no understand ooo… I know few farms that cultivate different crops on like 30 to 50 acres and they started with 20 And they’re successful now… they own personal cars. The only thing I see on nairaland is 2plot success of tomatoes or cucumber, 2acres failure of tomatoes…. Nah only 2-3plot una Dey get success for here? Must I start from 2 plots? What if I have like 10 - 20 million to start a
agribusiness where I am gonna have agronomists- marketers-contracted laborers-security…. I go con carry 20million for hand con go Dey cultivate 2plots? I have never see a successful 5 acres of tomatoes farm here but I know some and have even see some on Facebook… nah only newbies Dey here? Abi nah fund issue?

Why not go for greenhouse farming
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 8:36pm On Jun 09, 2023
Land soak today! embarassed...I struggle to sold 12k this morning. It was those that are moving it to South East and South south that bail us out, if not cheesy whalla for happen. I will update tomorrow..

2 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Alsenora: 9:15pm On Jun 09, 2023
You nailed it sir. Open field on large acreage in our tropical low land will require so much of experience/expertise that is gained over time. A 100 million investment can go down the drain scaling up without requisite expertise. I started with few stands years back on a plot but had ever since moved to different sites as i expand to hectare. If i had started large with millions and no much experience it would've been disastrous.
REUBEN010:

RISK MANAGEMENT.
A lot of us have other enterprises. Aside tomatoes, some of us here cultivate pepper, watermelon, yam, cucumber etc. I have 1 acre of pepper in addition to my 2 acres of tomatoes of different ages but we don't need to start showing off all our enterprises. Besides, do you think the local seed farmers expend all the resources (staking, time and agro chemicals) we expend on our hybrid tomatoes?
Imagine what is currently happening to the sole cropping tomato farmers up North that are currently ravaged by Tuta absoluta (tomato Ebola). This is the reason many diversify into other enterprises to spread our risks and we don't jump out to declare all our enterprises. A 2plots tomatoes farmer may have 10 acres of cassava elsewhere.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by REUBEN010(m): 10:21pm On Jun 09, 2023
Farmerakinloye6:
Land soak today! embarassed...I struggle to sold 12k this morning. It was those that are moving it to South East and South south that bail us out, if not cheesy whalla for happen. I will update tomorrow..

Abeg make e never soak oo. They should allow me sell mine before flooding the market.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by REUBEN010(m): 10:23pm On Jun 09, 2023
Alsenora:
You nailed it sir. Open field on large acreage in our tropical low land will require so much of experience/expertise that is gained over time. A 100 million investment can go down the drain scaling up without requisite expertise. I started with few stands years back on a plot but had ever since moved to different sites as i expand to hectare. If i had started large with millions and no much experience it would've been disastrous.

Nothing beats starting small and upscaling after gathering enough experience.

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Simfglobal: 6:38am On Jun 10, 2023
REUBEN010:

RISK MANAGEMENT.
You are on point my brother
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 3:15pm On Jun 10, 2023
REUBEN010:

Abeg make e never soak oo. They should allow me sell mine before flooding the market.
the price go up today.. range between 16-14k.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (69) (Reply)

Practical Broiler Production, A Step By Step Tutorial With Pictures 150 birds / A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos / My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.