Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,103 members, 7,811,105 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:37 PM

Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES - Agriculture (55) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES (139851 Views)

My Experience Cultivating 10 Hecters (25 Acres) Of Maize Farm Land / Cost Of Cultivating Cassava Farm On An Hectare / Cost Of Cultivating 1 Hectare Of Okra & Pepper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (69) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Chidiebubeoji: 8:17am On Jun 27, 2023
Farmerakinloye6:
105 or 128 cell.

Well done sir. Please, what's your crop rotation practice with cucumbers and tomatoes? Thanks
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 11:21am On Jun 27, 2023
Chidiebubeoji:

Well done sir. Please, what's your crop rotation practice with cucumbers and tomatoes? Thanks
I don't understand your question.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 11:22am On Jun 27, 2023
I sold diva today 28k why plantinum 25k.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 11:30am On Jun 27, 2023
omoniyisam:

Please which do you think is more profitable to plant between cucumber and tomato around August according to price trend. Provided the farmer can manage any of the two well.
Taking one plot with good irrigation for example.

if you ask me which one I will choose at the moment, I will say cucumber because I can smell cucumber glut and attention is on tomato, cucumber price yesterday was 8k and I sold mine 7.5k last harvest.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by omoniyisam: 5:55pm On Jun 27, 2023
Farmerakinloye6:
if you ask me which one I will choose at the moment, I will say cucumber because I can smell cucumber glut and attention is on tomato, cucumber price yesterday was 8k and I sold mine 7.5k last harvest.

Hmn, plus that it gives a quick returns than tomatoes.
Thank you sir
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Chidiebubeoji: 9:35pm On Jun 27, 2023
Farmerakinloye6:
I don't understand your question.
Ok. I meant, how many times do you grow tomato on a particular piece of land before you switch to cucumber on that same land.? ( That is: crop rotation) or do you keep growing tomatoes on a particular land continuously, year after year. I hope it's clear sir? Thanks
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Nezzjnr: 10:04pm On Jun 27, 2023
Veddywhite:

We are planning on employing an agronomists and marketers that will deal with agents in all major markets in Nigeria.. what do you think
Bro please don't try it.

They'll tell you that the market is very large and people need to eat.

Please don't do more than an acre abeg.... I know what I'm saying.....

You see those Mile12 agents??

On a very good day... I'll talk about them.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 6:02am On Jun 28, 2023
tessy990:
Please what can I do to eradicate this from my tomato farm. It's eating the plant making it to dry up and also affecting the fruit
Grey mold or botrytis blight...
alternate a fungicide that has chlorothalonil with Five- Star, cabrio duo to stand any chance of slowing down its growth
... I fear this disease more than late blight, as it spreads too quickly to be controlled easily, meanwhile your fruits, stems, and leafs may start growing white molds on them, and it kills whatever it touches
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 6:07am On Jun 28, 2023
Veddywhite:
I am really confused about nairaland is it only people that have few hundred thousand that are here because I no understand ooo… I know few farms that cultivate different crops on like 30 to 50 acres and they started with 20 And they’re successful now… they own personal cars. The only thing I see on nairaland is 2plot success of tomatoes or cucumber, 2acres failure of tomatoes…. Nah only 2-3plot una Dey get success for here? Must I start from 2 plots? What if I have like 10 - 20 million to start a agribusiness where I am gonna have agronomists- marketers-contracted laborers-security…. I go con carry 20million for hand con go Dey cultivate 2plots? I have never see a successful 5 acres of tomatoes farm here but I know some and have even see some on Facebook… nah only newbies Dey here? Abi nah fund issue?
When you have successfully done the 100 acre farm, I hope you will have time to update us here too o...better follow advise selfless individuals are sharing with you for free before those paid consultants and marketer will teach
you the definition of pain and losses, you may experience unbearable and sometimes permanent pains and losses

2 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 6:11am On Jun 28, 2023
REUBEN010:

3acres intermittently is still too big in my opinion. Spread your market risks by diversifying into other high hectare value crops (cucumbers, watermelon etc.); target your production to coincide with market scarcity of your selected enterprises; and employ the services of seasoned experts or consultants for proper guidance and management so you don't end up wasting your capital.

This is just what I'll do if I'm in your shoes.

I saw you mentioned you cultivate peppers too, how has your journey been like compared to tomatoes and are you doing local or hybrid peppers?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by REUBEN010(m): 11:37am On Jun 29, 2023
ideepaul:

I saw you mentioned you cultivate peppers too, how has your journey been like compared to tomatoes and are you doing local or hybrid peppers?
Unlike tomatoes, pepper is hardy and can better withstand unfavorable environmental conditions. Also, you don't expend much on attention, finance, agrochemicals, water and staking (not needed).
I prefer the local pepper to hybrid because of resistance to diseases and adaptability to adverse climatic conditions. If you want to go local, be sure of the seed source so that you don't end up buying seeds of F2 or other generations of hybrid pepper.

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by bosagro23: 3:06pm On Jun 29, 2023
Farmerakinloye6:
I sold diva today 28k why plantinum 25k.

Wow! Which market and state is this sir? What's your predictions as regards price till year end?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 12:50pm On Jun 30, 2023
bosagro23:

Wow! Which market and state is this sir? What's your predictions as regards price till year end?
Disease pressure is high this year, even experienced farmers are failing, the price will go down to an extent but it won't be bad...the challenge will be if you can manage the crops with the heavy bacterial and fungal challenges , and especially towards the hot period when tuta may raise its head again.

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by nuella2015: 2:45pm On Jun 30, 2023
@FarmerAkinloye6.
Please sir, can you tell me your experience with Ultimate Tomato seed, if you have planted it before. I can get Platinum in the market today. Thanks
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by bosagro23: 6:39pm On Jun 30, 2023
ideepaul:

Disease pressure is high this year, even experienced farmers are failing, the price will go down to an extent but it won't be bad...the challenge will be if you can manage the crops with the heavy bacterial and fungal challenges , and especially towards the hot period when tuta may raise its head again.
. Alright sir. You are very right about disease pressure this year. Currently managing an hectare. And the disease load has been crazy. Nothing wey I never spray.... Fungu force, ridomil, green force, azostrobin.....sulphur..... managing though.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by bosagro23: 6:43pm On Jun 30, 2023
nuella2015:
@FarmerAkinloye6.
Please sir, can you tell me your experience with Ultimate Tomato seed, if you have planted it before. I can get Platinum in the market today. Thanks
. I planted two of their varieties last year. Outcome wasn't encouraging. Thank God I had platinum and diva planted alongside.

2 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 8:19pm On Jun 30, 2023
bosagro23:
. Alright sir. You are very right about disease pressure this year. Currently managing an hectare. And the disease load has been crazy. Nothing wey I never spray.... Fungu force, ridomil, green force, azostrobin.....sulphur..... managing though.
During the dry hot season, tuta absoluta will come back. And I am not sure farmers a re ready for this one
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 8:21pm On Jun 30, 2023
bosagro23:
. I planted two of their varieties last year. Outcome wasn't encouraging. Thank God I had platinum and diva planted alongside.
How is diva compared to platinum based on disease resistance and redness. Cuz I am hearing unbelievable stories of poor wilt resistance and that the fruits are not deep red when the sun doesn't shine well?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Emempaul(m): 9:16pm On Jun 30, 2023
ideepaul:

During the dry hot season, tuta absoluta will come back. And I am not sure farmers a re ready for this one

How then do we fight it ooo. Tuta has been very vicious on me. But I haven't given up and still intend to nurse more come august
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by nuella2015: 10:44pm On Jun 30, 2023
bosagro23:
Thanks for your contribution.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 11:09pm On Jun 30, 2023
Emempaul:

How then do we fight it ooo. Tuta has been very vicious on me. But I haven't given up and still intend to nurse more come august

i remember you were bent on growing tropimech here around Aug last year despite the handwriting on the wall. is it the opv you are still growing?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 11:46pm On Jun 30, 2023
ideepaul:

How is diva compared to platinum based on disease resistance and redness. Cuz I am hearing unbelievable stories of poor wilt resistance and that the fruits are not deep red when the sun doesn't shine well?

since both are from same breeder, i am not surprised and, it is expected that one or two features would have been substituted for the big size of diva. platinum has a bit of resistance/firmness but diva is bigger and better with attractive deep colour. i planted diva this year, ignore the sunshine myth, all known fruits have delayed ripening during cold weather.
@nuella2015, run from any tom seed from the stable of havestfield which ur ultimate warrior is one.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by bosagro23: 12:14am On Jul 01, 2023
ideepaul:

In an infested land, you loose like 25 percent of diva to wilt compared with platinum. Diva catches blight easily in comparison with platinum. The fruits are bigger and more appealing though. Doesn't carry plenty fruits too. As for redness, I haven't paid much attention. I think it's a general thing in tomatoes. Just like we have here presently.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by mcyemite(m): 8:07pm On Jul 01, 2023
bosagro23:
In an infested land, you loose like 25 percent of diva to wilt compared with platinum. Diva catches blight easily in comparison with platinum. The fruits are bigger and more appealing though. Doesn't carry plenty fruits too. As for redness, I haven't paid much attention. I think it's a general thing in tomatoes. Just like we have here presently.
the redness of diva isn't something that needs attention it's very obvious ... platinum when fully ripe is more like dark orange orange but diva is very red
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Emempaul(m): 9:02pm On Jul 01, 2023
OluchiDelly:

i remember you were bent on growing tropimech here around Aug last year despite the handwriting on the wall. is it the opv you are still growing?
No. I opted for the local breed but I did test the tropic mech on a quarter plot. It's safe to say that I wasn't impressed. Infact the local breed impressed me more than that nonsense

This August though I will be testing UC 82b from bakers and plantium from east West on different plot along with my local seed as back up..... Just in case
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 9:43pm On Jul 01, 2023
bosagro23:
Then I will stick to the ever reliable cobra 26 or 34 ahead of it during the rainy season. Wilt no be anybody mate

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by bosagro23: 5:16pm On Jul 02, 2023
ideepaul:

Then I will stick to the ever reliable cobra 26 or 34 ahead of it during the rainy season. Wilt no be anybody mate
You know where I can get cobra 34?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by tessy990(m): 5:35pm On Jul 02, 2023
ideepaul:

Grey mold or botrytis blight...
alternate a fungicide that has chlorothalonil with Five- Star, cabrio duo to stand any chance of slowing down its growth
... I fear this disease more than late blight, as it spreads too quickly to be controlled easily, meanwhile your fruits, stems, and leafs may start growing white molds on them, and it kills whatever it touches

Thanks
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 12:03pm On Jul 03, 2023
bosagro23:

heavy glut is around the corner! No plantinum and diva seed in market and Cobra seed now expensive, e get why smiley.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 12:05pm On Jul 03, 2023
nuella2015:
@FarmerAkinloye6.
never planted it before.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 12:08pm On Jul 03, 2023
Chidiebubeoji:

Ok. I meant, how many times do you grow tomato on a particular piece of land before you switch to cucumber on that same land.? ( That is: crop rotation) or do you keep growing tomatoes on a particular land continuously, year after year. I hope it's clear sir? Thanks

I use one spot twice in a year, I will plant tomato first then cucumber for the second time, or cucumber first then tomato.

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 12:10pm On Jul 03, 2023
Took only diva to Market this morning,and I sold 30k flat.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (69) (Reply)

Practical Broiler Production, A Step By Step Tutorial With Pictures 150 birds / A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos / My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.