Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,179 members, 7,818,562 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

Stereotype About Only Sons - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Stereotype About Only Sons (74279 Views)

Yoruba Couple & 4 Sons Celebrate 10th Wedding Anniversary In Matching Outfits / Man Teaches His Little Sons How To Smoke Sisha, Gets Blasted, He Fires Back / Meet Laye Ajube And Her 8 Sons And 2 Daughters (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by amajimichael: 4:23pm On Feb 25, 2020
I think that ur statement is highly wrong of what u are saying .... Am only son to my family as well.... Nothing like pampering here.. I only gain love from my siblings oh...

2 Likes

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Liposure: 4:31pm On Feb 25, 2020
Ladycewhy:
it's not like I am against only sons but you have be the type to overlook alot of interference.from third parties and even not mind being sidelined in critical decisions . It's just what it is bro.
it is well
Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by pocohantas(f): 4:42pm On Feb 25, 2020
AxelandRed:

Another stereotype. What about Abia men?

Abia men are fair.

Anambra men are dangerously loyal to their mothers, family and culture.

I am not a fan of stereotypes, but some have elements of truth in them. No matter how hurt something like Peeress gets. grin
Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by louiziana(m): 4:43pm On Feb 25, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr

That is not true

Your girl friend knows nothing about what she is saying

Am also the only son
I got five female siblings

Huzzling go nearly finish you. Stress! You need a great sense of responsibility. You need mental strength
Some matter go happen ehnnn. Those girls nor go fit jump follow you. Na only you go face am. Sometimes you will feel lonely. You go dey huzzle dey use your money for reasonable things for the house but their own money them go dey use am for all type of hair styles: braiding, twisting, Rihanna, bob Marley, buy weavon. Fix okuku hair styles. Them go dey fix nails even fix nails when dey show light in the night. Them go dey mix expensive cream

The only thing i benefits is the unending love they do show me. They direct all their love towards me because girls actually don't love themselves! No household chores for me. I can wake up at anytime and eat.
Fear nor dey let them talk for outside but na for house them dey show muscle!

No wonder you had to be a real niggarr by fire, by force, by hustle. Stay blessed ma niggarrr

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Carioca: 4:51pm On Feb 25, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr

That is not true

Your girl friend knows nothing about what she is saying

Am also the only son
I got five female siblings

Huzzling go nearly finish you. Stress! You need a great sense of responsibility. You need mental strength
Some matter go happen ehnnn. Those girls nor go fit jump follow you. Na only you go face am. Sometimes you will feel lonely. You go dey huzzle dey use your money for reasonable things for the house but their own money them go dey use am for all type of hair styles: braiding, twisting, Rihanna, bob Marley, buy weavon. Fix okuku hair styles. Them go dey fix nails even fix nails when dey show light in the night. Them go dey mix expensive cream

The only thing i benefits is the unending love they do show me. They direct all their love towards me because girls actually don't love themselves! No household chores for me. I can wake up at anytime and eat.
Fear nor dey let them talk for outside but na for house them dey show muscle!

Only son dey mumu too

I have confirmed it from you

1 Like

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Thegamingorca(m): 4:55pm On Feb 25, 2020
pocohantas:

Especially the Igbo ones,
Especially the ones from Anambra. Izzôu no vex o. grin grin

They are ready to kick you out of the house because of their family. Naija men have serious issues balancing their nuclear and extended family. The kinda questions and comments that comes out of their mouths, gives you a clear picture of their mindsets.

I have an only brother and he was showing these traits. His gfs didn’t like me and I always wondered why. Till the mumu opened his mouth to tell me he told his gf I will always come before any woman, because we grew and suffered together. I told him to face his babe o, make e no come dey disturb my own guy.

Mumu woman grin
Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Peeress(f): 5:04pm On Feb 25, 2020
pocohantas:

Abia men are fair.

Anambra men are dangerously loyal to their mothers, family and culture.

I am not a fan of stereotypes, but some have element of truth in them. No matter how hurt something like Peeress gets. grin angry

Of course since you are from Abia state and possibly a man in your life is from Abia state too, Abia men would be fair in your opinion for now while Anambra men and men from other Igbo states would be unfair in your opinion. The usual you. When a situation favors you you become pro man in your life comes first before family, but when it does not favor you you start your usual all men are scum and no man can come first before your family. Such a hypocritical thing.

10 Likes

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Thunderblasts(m): 5:04pm On Feb 25, 2020
The truth is that some only sons are totally Genius!
Am a born hussler shaa. If I love a lady, I don't care what my parents even think of her!
Am always on my grind 247. Not even close to mum in anyway at all though I know she loves me but I no too send the love.
It's a matter of mentality. Am the only son and nothing dey happen!!!
Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by pocohantas(f): 5:06pm On Feb 25, 2020
Thegamingorca:

Mumu woman grin

Na Peeress get that one.

Long time no see. kiss
Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Okikaneseokwu: 5:07pm On Feb 25, 2020
MarianaTrench:

Last children are the most useless!
So shall ur last child be to u.
Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by pacespot(m): 5:07pm On Feb 25, 2020
Women and their wild thoughts, they know things before you see them. General over-typical assumption is bad, same reason it is bad for government to label all successful male youths as yahoo.

2 Likes

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Lokoyen(m): 5:14pm On Feb 25, 2020
AxelandRed:
While I was out on my first date with my girlfriend, she asked me how many sibling I have, to which I replied. She then proceeded to ask the number of males and females. Then I told her I only have sisters. That moment, her face dropped because we were already Into each other, I could tell she was disappointed.

She tried to hide this, but I noticed. This was Probably because that wasn't the first time I would be getting that reaction from people especially women the moment I tell them I'm the only son of my parents.

I queried her on her sudden change of mood and she told me that she has had unfavorable relationship experiences (twice) in the past with only Sons and has vowed never to try it again. She reasoned that only Sons are too clingy to their families, overpampered, emotionally needy and dependent on their families and hardly have a mind of their own. She also accused the families of always trying to pilot the affairs of the guys even to the extent of making life changing decisions for them.

When i was young, I also had friends who thought I was pampered, showered with extraordinary love and care and that my parents can't turn down any request from me. But the truth is that I never got any special treatment from my parents. The same curtain wire, broom, hanger my mom used to whip my sisters, she also used on me.

My point is that it's unfair to lump people together and label them. If an only son happens to be clingy, it has nothing to do with his status. He would have still been that way if he had 10 brothers.

I never got preferential treatment being the only male child. My mum is a no nonsense woman she no send if ure the only male child or not. I am grateful today, all her training helped me.

I was never clingy to my family, never!

Now happily married with kids.

2 Likes

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Thegamingorca(m): 5:14pm On Feb 25, 2020
pocohantas:

Na Peeress get that one.

Long time no see. kiss

Long time no see indeed grin kiss
Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by apiski(m): 5:17pm On Feb 25, 2020
SmartyPants:

Historical data and a number of scientific studies do not support this assertion.
Oga please can elaborate on this a little bit. It seems I have something to learn from you.
Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Anosco14: 5:24pm On Feb 25, 2020
My brother, if only son is this my type eh, I prefer being the 6th son of a 6th wife. Anwụọla m anwụọ

1 Like

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Fearlessbabe77: 5:24pm On Feb 25, 2020
She is right, 99 percent are like that. The parents,especially the mum interferes in major decision making
Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Massey27: 5:32pm On Feb 25, 2020
Simplebeauty:
;

Do you know I can buy over your existing loans?

How?
Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by MarianaTrench: 5:32pm On Feb 25, 2020
Okikaneseokwu:

So shall ur last child be to u.

E pain am well well tongue
Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Malayy(m): 5:46pm On Feb 25, 2020
haaryobhami:
I wish I had a big bro or at least big sister
me na first born and only son..with only a sibling. sister.. I just dey look upon God. and my dad just died 3 yrs ago.
Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Jeferious: 5:56pm On Feb 25, 2020
@ op,
What were you thinking when you chose to roll with the jewel of the family, the only eye that saved a man from being described as blind, and the continuation of a lineage?

Choices beget consequences. An only son is, put short, the last hope of a family, especially in Igboland. By nature of his position, he should be tough, tactful and diplomatic. And if his parents(and himself, for he too must train himself positively to withstand pressures and make intelligent decisions) are wise enough, they would employ every positive means towards ensuring that he gets the best all-around training in life, for his position is highly critical. The thing is that women of these days want to reap where they have sown next to nothing. If you love him, you should help him become better. With time he would see you as more than a wife. You'd become an indispensable ally to him. But that is only possible if you have something worthwhile to offer in his life. At this stage, if the only thing you can think of is competition with his sisters and mother over his resources, affection and attention, then you're not the best thing for him. Don't add to the young man's pressure abeg.

I also understand that only sons tend to be clingy to their families. You are somehow lucky that his father is still alive, and would help him in decision-making. What about some whose father have left to the great beyond? Now after struggling with the mother and sisters to survive and live decently, you expect to now come and own him absolutely? because you are who? Can't you even smell your own insensitivity and selfishness? If you really love him, the best thing to do is to work your way to the heart of his family too. And the process is quite easy, if you are not a bad, self-centered woman. With time they would get accustomed to the situation and you'd own him like you want to. They would even be the ones to remind him when he starts getting unnecessarily clingy and nostalgic that he now has a wife he needs to take good care of.

Finally, I understand that some only sons are weak and unnecessarily clingy. But I also understand that some of us feel a great sense of responsibility and are doing our best to face unusual pressures of life as well as balance our relationships between the many people who are serious stakeholders in our lives. All we need is proper understanding and help where necessary, not unreasonable competition with others over who's supposed to earn our attention and affection the most.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Okikaneseokwu: 5:59pm On Feb 25, 2020
MarianaTrench:

E pain am well well tongue
grin
Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Mizwisdom(f): 6:05pm On Feb 25, 2020
vizkiz:
Bro...It is no stereotype but the absolute truth.

The level of favoritism that goes into being the only son is astonishing!

You are likened to the “Golden egg” who will carry the family’s legacy (hence being a spoilt child). Don’t allow the 21st century’s manipulation that all child are equal deceive you. You will always get favored by your parents than your siblings. undecided

This one you are complaining about being the only son, what do you want those of us who are the First born son to do?

Do you know the level of misconception directed towards our path? Abeg abeg no vex me this afternoon undecided
.You're deceiving yourself

1 Like

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Mizwisdom(f): 6:11pm On Feb 25, 2020
shogsman:
You just have to rope yourself into every situation you lying cunt
He's a big liar grin
Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Somzee(f): 6:12pm On Feb 25, 2020
AxelandRed:
While I was out on my first date with my girlfriend, she asked me how many sibling I have, to which I replied. She then proceeded to ask the number of males and females. Then I told her I only have sisters. That moment, her face dropped because we were already Into each other, I could tell she was disappointed.

She tried to hide this, but I noticed. This was Probably because that wasn't the first time I would be getting that reaction from people especially women the moment I tell them I'm the only son of my parents.

I queried her on her sudden change of mood and she told me that she has had unfavorable relationship experiences (twice) in the past with only Sons and has vowed never to try it again. She reasoned that only Sons are too clingy to their families, overpampered, emotionally needy and dependent on their families and hardly have a mind of their own. She also accused the families of always trying to pilot the affairs of the guys even to the extent of making life changing decisions for them.

When i was young, I also had friends who thought I was pampered, showered with extraordinary love and care and that my parents can't turn down any request from me. But the truth is that I never got any special treatment from my parents. The same curtain wire, broom, hanger my mom used to whip my sisters, she also used on me.

My point is that it's unfair to lump people together and label them. If an only son happens to be clingy, it has nothing to do with his status. He would have still been that way if he had 10 brothers.

Nothing spectacular about that, everyone has their preference in life.
The same way some people have reservations for the following people;
First daughters,
People from humble backgrounds
Only child,
Single fathers,
Single mothers,
Orphans,
Children from divorced home.

To me it shouldn't be an issue but then everyone can't have same reasoning.

2 Likes

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Mizwisdom(f): 6:15pm On Feb 25, 2020
Apus:
I wish I could say the same for myself. The opposite is the case with me.

Never felt the privilege of being an only son.

I think it depends on individual families and style of upbringing, hence shouldn't be generalised.

You're not alone, many families don't show preference in some cases they are harder on you because they don't want you to feel privileged in any way, its for your good.

1 Like

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Amanda4life: 6:20pm On Feb 25, 2020
You are a mummy s baby nw
Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Ay04z(m): 6:24pm On Feb 25, 2020
Lol African reasoning lasan. shocked D bitter truth marriage is not for everyone if u can't tolerate some little shit.

1 Like

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Mizwisdom(f): 6:27pm On Feb 25, 2020
All these problems mainly exist among the Igbo tribe, they are the ones who over pamper their male kids all the time because only males inherit from their parents according to their custom. Deal with your issues in your customary courts, Nairaland is fast becoming boring by posting all these Igbo man made issues, everyday.

3 Likes

Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by pocohantas(f): 6:28pm On Feb 25, 2020
Mizwisdom:
All these problems mainly exhist among the Igbo tribe, they are the ones who over pamper their male kids all the time. Deal with your issues in your customary courts, Nairaland is fast becoming boring by posting all these Igbo man made issues, everyday.

Cc; Peeress.

See food. grin
Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Exodora: 6:33pm On Feb 25, 2020
daewoorazer:
U may not be pampered, but having a lot of ‘iya oko’ is a red flag for ladies......

A lady is a cancer to another .... that’s how women reason....even nowadays, ladies hardly keep female friends
Very correct i find it very difficult to cope with them.
I have male friends we insult ourselves and coutinue what we are doing but ladies Chaaaaaiiiii , you be wondering what you have done wrong sef when you are sure you didn't do anything wrong.
One of my female friend , could you imagine I went on a job search and introduced her, we angered we will go together but she went behind me when I went to her so that we go together she pretend as if she was not interested again not knowing that she has submitted her application already.
My childhood friend told me that she had a dream where she hit me with door and I fell , then she came physically to apologise , I don't understand how possible that can be.
Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by Mizwisdom(f): 6:34pm On Feb 25, 2020
pocohantas:

Cc; Peeress.

See food. grin

Lol, nothing preferential in my family, nothing like only son, thank God I'm not Igbo grin
Re: Stereotype About Only Sons by ImaIma1(f): 6:45pm On Feb 25, 2020
Britishcoins:
To be a first son is not an easy task, in fact you will climb the highest mountain and do more dangerous tasks to ensure ur family is on track...

I know what I have passed through to ensure that my siblings are all fine....
But God is always our strength even in the desert God always provides lakes for me the first son

And then when a wife comes into the picture, they might feel she's coming to reduce their portion

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Things Nigerian Women Do To Find Husbands(Men Beware) / Pastor Gave Fake Prophecy That Destroyed My Marriage Of 10 Years / My Dad Died Because He Slept With A Married Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.