Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,889 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:35 PM

MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike (25162 Views)

MDCAN Suspend Strike Action / Ekiti State University ASUU Begins Indefinite Strike / SSANU, NASU Resolve To Embark On Indefinite Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by IMASTEX: 6:56pm On Feb 25, 2020
Okay na
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by AMOTEKUN2023: 6:58pm On Feb 25, 2020
They are mad....No PhD no teaching,they should go to hell

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Correcto: 7:00pm On Feb 25, 2020
They should get their PhD, not thing wrong with that. quote author=Gnaeusmagnus post=86952671]The issue is whether the amount of research done to be a Fellow (that's medicalese for becoming a consultant) is equal to the type of research needed to have a PhD.

To become a consultant doctor in Nigeria, in addition to passing exams, one must write and defend a dissertation/research project and must pass an oral examination on the dissertation similar to what PhD and master's students do.

The problem with the directive that consultant should get PhD is that most don't have a PhD so this might have impact on the number of lecturers available to train medical students.

There is also the issue of University politics, I won't say more![/quote]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by frank41(m): 7:00pm On Feb 25, 2020
obi4eze:
angry

They think NUC is JOHESU

Exactly, Good for them

2 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by bluefilm: 7:01pm On Feb 25, 2020
Hope ASUU is also going to join them any time soon?
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by AMOTEKUN2023: 7:01pm On Feb 25, 2020
Gnaeusmagnus:
Hmmm

The issue is whether the amount of research done to be a Fellow (that's medicalese for becoming a consultant) is equal to the type of research needed to have a PhD.

To become a consultant doctor in Nigeria, in addition to passing exams, one must write and defend a dissertation/research project and must pass an oral examination on the dissertation similar to what PhD and master's students do.

The problem with the directive that consultant should get PhD is that most don't have a PhD so this might have impact on the number of lecturers available to train medical students.

There is also the issue of University politics, I won't say more!

PhD is the requirement for teaching so stop saying gibberish

6 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by AMOTEKUN2023: 7:02pm On Feb 25, 2020
NUC is right
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 7:03pm On Feb 25, 2020
Correcto:
They should get their PhD, not thing wrong with that.

True, we shall see how this works in practice.

As it is, we don't have enough lecturers in our universities. Reducing the number of lectures because of this PhD directive may harm medical education in Nigeria.(it takes at least 2 years to get a PhD)
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 7:05pm On Feb 25, 2020
AMOTEKUN2023:

PhD is the requirement for teaching so stop saying gibberish

A large proportion of our university lecturers don't have PhDs.

Really I have no objection to docs getting PhDs, but the issue is many may drop out of lecturing students because of the PhD requirement

Meaning we don't have enough lecturers in the medical school. That has impact on numbers and quality of doctors

4 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by 0m0nnakoda: 7:06pm On Feb 25, 2020
Gnaeusmagnus:

As it is, we don't have enough lecturers in our universities. Reducing the number of lectures because of this PhD directive may harm medical education in Nigeria.(it takes at least 2 years to get a PhD)
Not may . With this strike. Students cannot graduate in most if not all medical schools because well over 95% of those teaching them in clinics don't have Phds

1 Like

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by GabrielKenneth: 7:07pm On Feb 25, 2020
It's an academic sector issue not health sector. They will continue their work in the hospital but withdraw the services of teacher medical students and resident doctors. Medical students are taught by consultant. Becoming a consultant will take one a minimum of 8 to 10 yrs after becoming a Doctor. That is if you are even passing your exams. Now NUC is saying they will have to get Ph.D bfor they can teach in medical school. That is the cause of the whole brouhaha

9 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Correcto: 7:07pm On Feb 25, 2020
What an irritating comment! The problem with you guys is that you underrate every qualification except yours. If you don't want to have PhD then leave the university and work only in the hospital.
peacettw:
I totally support this move. The residency training alone should suffice for multiple PhDs

10 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Correcto: 7:09pm On Feb 25, 2020
I expected them to request for at least 3years to get their PhD instead of embarking on useless strike.
Gnaeusmagnus:

6 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 7:11pm On Feb 25, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

Not may . With this strike. Students cannot graduate in most if not all medical schools because well over 95% of those teaching them in clinics don't have Phds

That's the problem.

While I think the idea that doctors who want to lecture should get PhD is not a bad idea,(I think it would promote research in our medical colleges) the road to hell is often paved with good intentions

The fact that most consultants don't have PhDs is the issue.

1 Like

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Correcto: 7:12pm On Feb 25, 2020
After becoming a consultant why not remain in the hospital? Must you teach in the University? Get a PhD if you must teach. It is the a requirement in the academic sector and not health
GabrielKenneth:
It's an academic sector issue not health sector. They will continue their work in the hospital but withdraw the services of teacher medical students and resident doctors. Medical students are taught by consultant. Becoming a consultant will take one a minimum of 8 to 10 yrs after becoming a Doctor. That is if you are even passing your exams. Now NUC is saying they will have to get Ph.D bfor they can teach in medical school. That is the cause of the whole brouhaha

10 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by GabrielKenneth: 7:13pm On Feb 25, 2020
How is NUC right? Ph.D not need to teachedical student or resident Doctors after becoming a consultant. In fact residency training is far more regorous than whatever is ever done in pH.D programme. Talking about researches. I can't say. I have nothing to compare both researches. However, how has all the researches done during Ph.D programme contributed to our country. What becomes of those researches afterwards ?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Clementoke(m): 7:14pm On Feb 25, 2020
Correcto:
What an irritating comment! The problem with you guys is that you underrate every qualification except yours. If you don't want to have PhD then leave the university and work only in the hospital.

Lol.
That's exactly what they've done.
They've left indefinitely.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Correcto: 7:15pm On Feb 25, 2020
Then advice them to tell NUC to give them time to get PhD
Gnaeusmagnus:

A large proportion of our university lecturers don't have PhDs.

Really I have no objection to docs getting PhDs, but the issue is many may drop out of lecturing students because of the PhD requirement

Meaning we don't have enough lecturers in the medical school. That has impact on numbers and quality of doctors

1 Like

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 7:16pm On Feb 25, 2020
Correcto:
I expected them to request for at least 3years to get their PhD instead of embarking on useless strike.

If only it was that easy

To get a PhD
1. You have to have a novel idea. Eg I have an idea that chloroquine can be used to treat cholera.

2. You need funding for the idea (I want to do a randomised control trial or a case control study!). And such studies cost money

3. You must be prepared for your research to yield no results ( what, chloroquine does not work in cholera) because no results, no PhD

4. And you must pay school fees, take a cut in salary etc.

5 you have to have a very very good set of supervisors

6. PhDs can take a long time. And medical PhDs are very very time consuming. 3 years might not be enough

7 .Nigerian factors ( eg accessing hospital records for a case study series can be very time consuming and the records might not be complete!)

4 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Correcto: 7:16pm On Feb 25, 2020
Great!!!! Can you also advise them to resign?
Clementoke:

Lol.
That's exactly what they've done.
They've left indefinitely.

2 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 7:16pm On Feb 25, 2020
Correcto:
Then advice them to tell NUC to give them time to get PhD

If NUC is willing to wait smiley
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Correcto: 7:18pm On Feb 25, 2020
Get a PhD simple if you must lecture in the University
GabrielKenneth:
How is NUC right? Ph.D not need to teachedical student or resident Doctors after becoming a consultant. In fact residency training is far more regorous than whatever is ever done in pH.D programme. Talking about researches. I can't say. I have nothing to compare both researches. However, how has all the researches done during Ph.D programme contributed to our country. What becomes of those researches afterwards ?

6 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Uyi168: 7:18pm On Feb 25, 2020
hisexcellency34:
Dental doctors? Buhari won't answer you. He can only answer ear doctors if they threaten to go on strike
Medical and dental doctors..
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Correcto: 7:19pm On Feb 25, 2020
I am sorry but they still need to get a PhD
Gnaeusmagnus:

If only it was that easy

To get a PhD
1. You have to have a novel idea. Eg I have an idea that chloroquine can be used to treat cholera.

2. You need funding for the idea (I want to do a randomised control trial or a case control study!). And such studies cost money

3. You must be prepared for your research to yield no results ( what, chloroquine does not work in cholera) because no results, no PhD

4. And you must pay school fees, take a cut in salary etc.

5 you have to have a very very good set of supervisors

6. PhDs can take a long time. And medical PhDs are very very time consuming. 3 years might not be enough

7 .Nigerian factors ( eg accessing hospital records for a case study series can be very time consuming and the records might not be complete!)

3 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by GabrielKenneth: 7:20pm On Feb 25, 2020
Gnaeusmagnus:

Exactly, most will drop lecturing because it is actually not lucrative for them at all. Funny enough no one can teach a medical student at clinical level except a Doctor, a consultant at that . So if the down tools who do you replace them with to teach medical students

7 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Rating(m): 7:24pm On Feb 25, 2020
What happens to our teeth now?
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 7:24pm On Feb 25, 2020
GabrielKenneth:

1. Nigeria is not an industrial country, meaning there are no industries available to apply the products of research of our universities,other tertiary and research institutions.

2. Conversely, no industries means no funding for research. In many foreign countries , it is often times industries who find the money to fund research especially in STEM courses

3.Aborad, many people do the rigors of residency and also do PhDs. (In the US, one can spend 6 years in medical school on a combined MD/PhD program. In the UK, students can take time off between their preclinical and clinical years and do a master's, plus many medical students develop research interests which they parlay into PhDs later on).
In Nigeria, because of funding and other issues affecting our education system, and the fact that our medical education system is designed IMHO to churn out doctors quickly because doctors are relatively scarce here, such things don't happen

2 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 7:25pm On Feb 25, 2020
Opportunity to go to their private clinics and make money.

1 Like

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 7:26pm On Feb 25, 2020
Correcto:
I am sorry but they still need to get a PhD

They do I guess

Fixing that requires a lot of things that need to be done
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by GabrielKenneth: 7:26pm On Feb 25, 2020
frank41:

Exactly, Good for them
They will continue to work in the hospital na, they just won't teach again. Only a Doctor can teach a medical student at clinical level and resident Doctors. Who do you replace them with? If you have 10Ph.D or even a professor and you are not a medical doctor, you can't teach at these levels so how will NUC win this fight?

5 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Clementoke(m): 7:27pm On Feb 25, 2020
Correcto:
Great!!!! Can you also advise them to resign?

Resign from where?
You employed people and all of a sudden, you said they are not qualified, the right thing is to sack them and employ qualified personnel
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by explosiveskull(m): 7:32pm On Feb 25, 2020
Uppalove:
Who did we offend in this country naa
Abeg make una mercy for this boy head na, I've found his head on so many bodies.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

University Of Lagos Tuition Is Free – Management / At Queens College, An Infection Makes Hundreds Of Students Sick / Covenant University Appoints Professor Bassey Williams As Acting Vice Chancellor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.