Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,696 members, 7,816,839 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:33 PM

MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike - Education (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike (25160 Views)

MDCAN Suspend Strike Action / Ekiti State University ASUU Begins Indefinite Strike / SSANU, NASU Resolve To Embark On Indefinite Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Bobcygan: 5:00pm On Feb 27, 2020
You guys understand that the moves by the NUC is a political move and unfortunately for us in the medical field we also have people at our helms of affairs who are afraid to speak up. Johesuits everywhere.
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by danilmo: 6:01pm On Feb 27, 2020
Corrector, edoairways, CSTR2 and co

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by danilmo: 6:19pm On Feb 27, 2020
Correcto:
Who talking of treating a patient? Even MBBS holders till touch patients. From your explanation, you are still confused. Obviously you don't know the importance of research, but know this, everything you learn in the medical program came through someone's research. NUC is telling that you need Phd for career progression in the University, that is if you must teach. It is a requirement. Just a get a PhD.

Advocate of NUC, our consultant yielded to the no teaching since they have no PhD , in fact today they refuse to help guide us after clerking patient , they told us their hands are tight , we have to drop patient files and retire back to our hostel...

At least , they now decide to follow NUC direction. No PhD , no teaching,. Case close, since no teacher in medical right now , seems NUC has no direction, who open medical school without teachers, don't u think it's right time all medical school be closed down pending till wen NUC get PhD holders from God knows where?, at least no qualified lecturer according.
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by CSTR2: 8:01pm On Feb 27, 2020
danilmo:
Corrector, edoairways, CSTR2 and co

Nonsense.
I have always held the belief that pure medical courses like surgery should be taught as a basis of experience.

But the lecturers must have brought about practical innovations in the field of surgery to go very far in the lecturing world.

Any lecturing consultant that is just collecting salary without advancing the cause of surgery in Nigeria should remain at the level he is.
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by homesteady(m): 10:41pm On Feb 27, 2020
CSTR2:

Nonsense.
I have always held the belief that pure medical courses like surgery should be taught as a basis of experience.

But the lecturers must have brought about practical innovations in the field of surgery to go very far in the lecturing world.

Any lecturing consultant that is just collecting salary without advancing the cause of surgery in Nigeria should remain at the level he is.

I asked someone a question here and he didn't give me an answer.
What are the requirements to become a Professor?
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by homesteady(m): 11:39am On Feb 28, 2020
homesteady:

I asked someone a question here and he didn't give me an answer.
What are the requirements to become a Professor?

CSTR2
No response yet?
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by CSTR2: 11:46am On Feb 28, 2020
homesteady:

CSTR2
No response yet?
If you passed through a university, you should have a basic idea.
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by homesteady(m): 12:12pm On Feb 28, 2020
CSTR2:

If you passed through a university, you should have a basic idea.

You talked about career progression, so that's why I asked you the question.
Please enlighten me on how lecturers become Professors.
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by CSTR2: 12:17pm On Feb 28, 2020
homesteady:

You talked about career progression, so that's why I asked you the question.
Please enlighten me on how lecturers become Professors.
A PhD is a start.
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by homesteady(m): 12:22pm On Feb 28, 2020
CSTR2:

A PhD is a start.

Ok.

So anybody that has a Ph.D will eventually become a Professor right?
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by CSTR2: 12:26pm On Feb 28, 2020
homesteady:

Ok.

So anybody that has a Ph.D will eventually become a Professor right?
Is English your problem?
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by homesteady(m): 12:37pm On Feb 28, 2020
CSTR2:

Is English your problem?

Why are you afraid to plainly state the requirements to become a Professor?

You are the 2nd person here that is trying to avoid the question.

If you don't know, then say you don't know, instead of beating around the Bush.

1 Like

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by 0m0nnakoda: 3:14pm On Feb 28, 2020
homesteady:

Why are you afraid to plainly state the requirements to become a Professor?

You are the 2nd person here that is trying to avoid the question.

If you don't know, then say you don't know, instead of beating around the Bush.
Guy stop being a nuisance.
If you want to know research it
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by homesteady(m): 4:29pm On Feb 28, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

Guy stop being a nuisance.
If you want to know research it

Doesn't it look obvious that I know the Professorship route? undecided undecided undecided

I'm just asking them so that we can start a conversation about the absolute necessity of having a Ph.D before becoming a Professor especially as regards to the case at hand.
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by 0m0nnakoda: 4:35pm On Feb 28, 2020
homesteady:

Doesn't it look obvious that I know the Professorship route? undecided undecided undecided

I'm just asking them so that we can start a conversation about the absolute necessity of having a Ph.D before becoming a Professor especially as regards to the case at hand.

That is an arrogant and patronising approach?
There is no such absolute necessity whether in the past or today.Many doctors get tenure via an MD degree and not a Phd not just in Nigeria but across the globe .

In the UK and the Commonwealth an MD is a doctorate degree awarded via a different pathway to a Phd. It is at least equal to a Phd

It is important to make that distinction because in the US MD is equivalent to MBBS

The other clarification is the difference between Professor and professor.

professor in the US refers to what we call Lecturer or Associate professor in Nigeria I.e they do not hold tenure or a Chair.

When you see a US "professor" it is worth clarifying
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by 0m0nnakoda: 4:43pm On Feb 28, 2020
homesteady:

Consider the profiles of the individuals who won the Nobel prize last year.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Kaelin_Jr.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_J._Ratcliffe
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by 0m0nnakoda: 4:45pm On Feb 28, 2020
homesteady:

MD degree
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Medicine#United_Kingdom,_Ireland_and_some_Commonwealth_countries
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by BalogunIdowu(m): 5:16pm On Feb 28, 2020
Gnaeusmagnus:
Hmmm

The issue is whether the amount of research done to be a Fellow (that's medicalese for becoming a consultant) is equal to the type of research needed to have a PhD.

To become a consultant doctor in Nigeria, in addition to passing exams, one must write and defend a dissertation/research project and must pass an oral examination on the dissertation similar to what PhD and master's students do.

The problem with the directive that consultant should get PhD is that most don't have a PhD so this might have impact on the number of lecturers available to train medical students.

In short, the argument is is PhD similar to FWACP, FWACS, FMC?

Another matter is that are our medical colleges equipped enough to support the award of PhD/PhD programs in our universities? Is there enough funding for research projects for medical PhDs?

There is also the issue of University politics, I won't say more!

Most people don't understand the situation on ground. As much as NUC wants to regulate the qualification of glorified teachers in institutions, they also need to understand the structure and important training a doctor needs.

Some may do masters and PhD in a basic medical course after their MBBS but for those who wants to go clinical, PhD is not what is needed for them! The residency program they undergo if only people understand how rigorous it is although it also does differ depending on speciality but the basement point is.

They already have the qualification and certification for that field which is whether or not equal to PhD but has done the same purpose.

What is playing here for me is ego and politics not the thrive to better the educational system.

Let me hold on for now...

1 Like

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by 0m0nnakoda: 10:37am On Mar 02, 2020
Nigerian Institute of Medical Research

https://nimr.gov.ng/about-us-2/meet-the-dg/

This is just to debunk the claim about Phds and research

Nigeria has just this one Institute and its DG and other researchers have medical Fellowships and not Phds

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

University Of Lagos Tuition Is Free – Management / At Queens College, An Infection Makes Hundreds Of Students Sick / Covenant University Appoints Professor Bassey Williams As Acting Vice Chancellor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.