Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,802 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike (25159 Views)

MDCAN Suspend Strike Action / Ekiti State University ASUU Begins Indefinite Strike / SSANU, NASU Resolve To Embark On Indefinite Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by peacettw: 8:42pm On Feb 25, 2020
Correcto:
You are so funny!!! Superiority complex is what you maybe suffering from. Actually, you guys are beginning to get stupid. Bleep your residency and Get a PhD, it is a requirement for lecturing.

I expected your reply to tow this line. Very unoriginal. Look, I will not be held responsible for your current mental state. If you have a PhD and still feel worthless enough to come here to tell doctors what they should or should not have to move up the professional cadre, that's all on you. I will repeat it again, just in case you are daft, one fellowship is equal to multiple PhDs.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by 0m0nnakoda: 8:42pm On Feb 25, 2020
Amucha:
Anyone who needs PHD should pass through the university. How can professional bodies award PHD? These consultants want to use strike to force NUC into accepting that their fellowship is equal to PHD, indirectly saying that their professional body can award PHD.

If this is approved, then ICAN will be equal to PHD, and some institutions that are involved in certifications will also come up with same argument that their certifications are equal to PHD. Professional post graduate colleges will join in the same argument until PHD becomes a "tissue degree".
There is a fundamental distortion in what you have written.
Because you don't know.
Doctors are not advocating for anything, there is nothing to be "appoved".
That is the status quo in Nigeria and the UK ,our Colonialists, the US and MOST places.

In Nigeria it has NEVER been any other way.
There is nothing to approve
What the NUC are attempting is some kind of pushback or standardisation which perhaps should have consulted the profession. Waking up and attempting to bulldoze a REVOLUTIONARY change can only be done from a position of strength.
The NUC are in a position of profound weakness.
It is almost like Nigeria placing sanctions on China or refusing to sell crude oil to the world.

5 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Correcto: 8:43pm On Feb 25, 2020
Whichever
Clementoke:

Resign from where?
You employed people and all of a sudden, you said they are not qualified, the right thing is to sack them and employ qualified personnel
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Correcto: 8:45pm On Feb 25, 2020
NUC in a position of weakness makes me laugh
0m0nnakoda:

There is a fundamental distortion in what you have written.
Because you don't know.
Doctors are not advocating for anything, there is nothing to be "appoved".
That is the status quo in Nigeria and the UK ,our Colonialists, the US and MOST places.

In Nigeria it has NEVER been any other way.
There is nothing to approve
What the NUC are attempting is some kind of pushback or standardisation which perhaps should have consulted the profession. Waking up and attempting to bulldoze a REVOLUTIONARY change can only be done from a position of strength.
The NUC are in a position of profound weakness.
It is almost like Nigeria placing sanctions on China or refusing to sell crude oil to the world.
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Angelfrost(m): 8:45pm On Feb 25, 2020
Private hospitals go hammer sha... This is just sad!
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Vaughanlanrewaj: 8:46pm On Feb 25, 2020
Seems sanity is gradually settling in Nigeria. A lot of anomaly started in 1985 but thank God people are doing the needful. You don't need to be an academic with residency but if you must be an academic, do the needful like other career academicians even in Pharmacy et al. Get a PhD!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Reference(m): 8:49pm On Feb 25, 2020
The NUC will not win this one. It doesn't have all the aces. It will only make a bad situation worse. Supply is way below demand at both ends of the spectrum, that is the teeming students to be taught and the teeming patients to be cared for when Nigeria can barely hang onto 1 out of every 2 qualified doctors.

If they don't negotiate this one out then the health sector will be severely damaged. There is a pandemic growing round the world at present. The demand for medical professionals will soon explode and nations that are desperate will soon be raiding our moribund hospitals.

The NUC doesn'r hold all the aces. It should choose its battles wisely and timely.

5 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by peacettw: 8:50pm On Feb 25, 2020
Angelfrost:
Private hospitals go hammer sha... This is just sad!

Not quite. The consultants will still continue with their duties in the hospital, attending to their patients and offering them optimal care. The strike means that they will no longer teach the medical students.

5 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Correcto: 8:51pm On Feb 25, 2020
Fellowship that was given to you by a mere association. You must be a clown. So ICAN can also be equated to PhD tomorrow. Wake up from your slumber. If NUC accept your demand it will be a recipe for disaster because other associations will come up with claim of program equal to PhD. ASUU might even protest it with another strike. Get a PhD if you must teach!!!! It is a requirement here.
peacettw:

I expected your reply to tow this line. Very unoriginal. Look, I will not be held responsible for your current mental state. If you have a PhD and still feel worthless enough to come here to tell doctors what they should or should not have to move up the professional cadre, that's all on you. I will repeat it again, just in case you are daft, one fellowship is equal to multiple PhDs.

4 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Reference(m): 8:51pm On Feb 25, 2020
Correcto:
NUC in a position of weakness makes me laugh

Yes they can. Even MDCAN can barely control its members. They will just walk away from.the job.
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by 0m0nnakoda: 8:53pm On Feb 25, 2020
Correcto:
What an irritating comment! The problem with you guys is that you underrate every qualification except yours. If you don't want to have PhD then leave the university and work only in the hospital.
Most of them are NOT in the university.
Folk like you do not understand medical education and that is why you are irritable.
Consultants are employees of the Ministry of Health. Professors and lecturers are employees of the University.
Consultants provide a priceless service to the university and some have Honorary or supernumerary contracts which provide monthly stipends but many are not paid AT all.
I am talking about stuff in the operating theatre, Labour ward,clinics etc. This is stuff which only a Fellow not a Phd can do.
If they are withdrawn who will do it?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Angelfrost(m): 8:53pm On Feb 25, 2020
peacettw:

Not quite. The consultants will still continue with their duties in the hospital, attending to their patients and offering them optimal care. The strike means that they will no longer teach the medical students.

Ohhh... I didn't read that well. Thanks.

This whole nuc thing is poorly timed...
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Correcto: 8:54pm On Feb 25, 2020
Lol you must be very funny!!! Have you heard of state of emergency in the health sector before? I pray it doesn't but once it happens we shall see who is weak.
Reference:

Yes they can. Even MDCAN can barely control its members. They will just walk away from.the job.
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Correcto: 8:55pm On Feb 25, 2020
Fellowship that was given but a mere association? Get a PhD man!!!!
peacettw:

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by 0m0nnakoda: 8:56pm On Feb 25, 2020
Correcto:
Fellowship that was given to you by a mere association. You must be a clown. So ICAN can also be equated to PhD tomorrow. Wake up from your slumber. If NUC accept your demand it will be a recipe for disaster because other associations will come up with claim of program equal to PhD. ASUU might even protest it with another strike. Get a PhD if you must teach!!!! It is a requirement here.
Actually not an association but the Post Graduate Medical College of Nigeria which was set up by legislation just like universities and bodies LIKE NIPSS,NIALS,FIIRO, etc

3 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by peacettw: 8:58pm On Feb 25, 2020
Correcto:

Understand this. That "mere association" is solely responsible for the health care system your country has relied upon since its creation. Currently, the students now doctors that are being churned out by this "mere association" are in high in demand in many developed countries and international bodies. Are you really questioning the teaching skills of this body? What gives you the right and moral ground to contribute to this matter in the first place. What do you know is the nidus of the problem? You aren't even a medical doctor. I will not be replying any of your mentions.. It is simply not worth it.

4 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by 0m0nnakoda: 8:59pm On Feb 25, 2020
d33types:

Stop saying what you don't know.

Medical doctors worldwide has never required PhD for teaching clinical medicine. Not even in in the US, UK or other climes.(except in in university in Uganda where they award PhD automatically when you complete your fellowship. The fellowship programme which spans 5 to 10yrs is the only requirement worldwide to become a professor in medicine
I think you have a comprehension problem.
I did not say what you are misattributing to me
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 8:59pm On Feb 25, 2020
Correcto:

Fellowship exams are different from ICAN.

In fellowship exams, not only is there a standard exam, you also present at least 20 clinical cases you managed and a dissertation/ research work you did at the final exam.

That's after at least 4-5 years of training with one other exam after the first two years of training. All postgraduate

1 Like

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by 0m0nnakoda: 9:02pm On Feb 25, 2020
Gnaeusmagnus:

In fellowship exams, not only is there a standard exam, you also present at least 20 clinical cases you managed and a dissertation/ research work you did at the final exam.

That's after at least 4-5 years of training with one other exam after the first two years of training. All postgraduate
ICAN is a private body

The
Post Graduate Medical College of Nigeria

is a tertiary body set up by GOVERNMENT LEGISLATION

Most commentators here are ignorant

13 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by peacettw: 9:05pm On Feb 25, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

ICAN is a private body

The
Post Graduate Medical College of Nigeria

is a tertiary body set up by GOVERNMENT LEGISLATION

Most commentators here are ignorant

It is quite disgusting.

3 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by 0m0nnakoda: 9:06pm On Feb 25, 2020
https://npmcn.edu.ng/

POST GRADUATE MEDICAL COLLEGE OF NIGERIA

This is the highest body of medical education in Nigeria, higher than any medical school

2 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by 0m0nnakoda: 9:12pm On Feb 25, 2020
peacettw:

That is the most painful thing a doctor can do,to send medical students away

4 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Correcto: 9:15pm On Feb 25, 2020
Get a PhD!!!
Gnaeusmagnus:

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Correcto: 9:16pm On Feb 25, 2020
Still a mere association. Get a PhD
peacettw:

Understand this. That "mere association" is solely responsible for the health care system your country has relied upon since its creation. Currently, the students now doctors that are being churned out by this "mere association" are in high in demand in many developed countries and international bodies. Are you really questioning the teaching skills of this body? What gives you the right and moral ground to contribute to this matter in the first place. What do you know is the nidus of the problem? You aren't even a medical doctor. I will not be replying any of your mentions.. It is simply not worth it.
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Correcto: 9:17pm On Feb 25, 2020
Lol it is a mere association, not a university.
0m0nnakoda:

Actually not an association but the Post Graduate Medical College of Nigeria which was set up by legislation just like universities and bodies LIKE NIPSS,NIALS,FIIRO, etc
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by silaswills01(m): 9:24pm On Feb 25, 2020
angry for those of you barking and talking rubbish about that doctors should get PhD who told you that even internationally any country enforces doctors to possess PhD before they teach in medical school .....even the most advanced country in medical field don't use PhD as the requirements of teaching in medical school ......I can say that with no apology that PhD is a joke compared to what a doctor would pass through to become a consultant .....I can beat my chest and say that even a junior resident can challenge the so called PhD holders ....nonsense ....NUC don't know what their priorities are and they are unapologetically ignorant

4 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by webgenius(m): 9:27pm On Feb 25, 2020
This is the usual problem with our society. Inadequate knowledge and a desire to generalise all issues. The question we should seek an answer to dispassionately is what is the best practice all over the world? Is what NUC is advocating workable? In most parts of the world medical teaching and practice is carried out by Fellowship-trained Consultants in Clinical Medicine. PhD is required by Graduate medical doctors in the Bassic Sciences and no one is contesting that. The contentious issue is with Clinical Medicine. PhD degrees are not required of academicians in clinical medicine all over the world and it must also be stated that academic papers from Colleges of Medicine, even with our current state, still outclass and outnumber those from all other faculties in almost all Universities in Nigeria and outside Nigeria. Many academic clinicians have also been Professors and Vice-Chancellors of Nigerian universities, and in fact many clinical departments in Nigerian Universities have the highest number of Professors in any faculty in almost all Nigerian Universities.
What then is the recent mis-directive from the NUC? Is it the new battleground between doctors and non doctors within the Nigerian society?
It may surprise many that this recommendation by the NUC is unworkable at this time in our history, maybe in about 30-50 years. At this time, no Nigerian university has programs for PhD in the clinical sciences before the last 2-3 years, not even the reputable University of Ibadan. How can you then wake up and demand PhD certification from clinical lecturers?
The fellowship program run by the National Postgraduate Medical College and the West African Postgraduate Medical College is far more rigorous than a PhD Dissertation and also has substancial academic training as part of the curriculum.
NUC should be working with these institutions to strengthen the training of medical personnel for our country, not trying to stifle or muzzle others into a strait jacket to achieve some personal vainglorious objectives.

11 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by silaswills01(m): 9:30pm On Feb 25, 2020
Sodiquinone:
If u must lecture get a PhD...but the Doctors will want a differently law,with time they will say a consultant should be a professor automatically because he has spent 6 extral years in residency
oga it's people like you that don't know what it medical profession is all about and would still be unapologetically ignorant .,........this is global standard any where in this world it is a requirement that you must have fellowship not PhD to teach clinical Medicine .....go and browse about medical world to clear you ignorance

6 Likes

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by peacettw: 9:35pm On Feb 25, 2020
Correcto:
Still a mere association. Get a PhD

Hahahaha cheesy
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by peacettw: 9:36pm On Feb 25, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

That is the most painful thing a doctor can do,to send medical students away

I agree
Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by silaswills01(m): 9:37pm On Feb 25, 2020
Gassa007:
And your father will teach the medical students abi?
leave the idiots na

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: MDCAN Begins Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 9:39pm On Feb 25, 2020
Correcto:
Get a PhD!!!

I'm not arguing against the PhD requirement, I'm merely pointing out the difference between ICAN and fellowship for consultant exams.

Sorry you missed it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

University Of Lagos Tuition Is Free – Management / At Queens College, An Infection Makes Hundreds Of Students Sick / Covenant University Appoints Professor Bassey Williams As Acting Vice Chancellor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.