Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,654 members, 7,809,477 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:14 AM

The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state - Culture (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state (37799 Views)

Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos / Why Is The Yoruba Not United In Business & Politics / How A Tribe, Kilba, In Adamawa Bury Their Dead (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by MetaPhysical: 11:53pm On Apr 25, 2020
Sewgon79:

Thanks for this piece of work. It is very broad

You are welcome. It is by far deeper than what I shared. Each paragraph there is a branch in itself that can bring further revelations but I wanted to be brief and close to surface as possible.

That which is in heaven is "orunmila"
That which is earthly is "odumila".
That which sorrounds is "Efe"
That which is beneath is "Ogun"

....Ela l'oro!
Ela, Ila and Allah are same!

Nobody mines a resource underneath without first consulting Ogun.

While odumila is resourceful, Efe is nurturing, and orunmila sustains.

Wisdom of the ancients my brother!

2 Likes

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Sewgon79(m): 9:47pm On Apr 26, 2020
Amujale:

Firstly, Yoruba is an Ethnicity and not a tribe.

Secondly, there are no tribes in Africa.

Anyone looking for tribes, will find them in Asia and Europe.

Furthermore, let me now pass you back to TAO11 to give you that work.

Cheers!

A tribe is group of people, ethnics with common interest, language, culture and traditions. So that make Yoruba a tribe. Out of Yoruba you have, Ekiti, Ìjẹ̀sà, awori, ègún, ijebu, yewa, Ẹ̀gbá, Ondo, ọwọ, etc
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by hayoholla(m): 10:49pm On Apr 26, 2020
gregyboy:

I wont say anything again so it wont look like a lie
Or am an author to my self

But i want to give the right to prove the ife and benin connections without using oral history

The igala and benin war was recorded by the Portuguese, there is a mask the attah of igala still wears today to prove the war happened

I want you to prove- ife and benin connections with factual evidence and not from oral account

Am waiting

You want factual evidence, but you swallowed Hook line and sinker, your own grandad oral account.

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by hayoholla(m): 10:55pm On Apr 26, 2020
gregyboy:

Now we know ife-benin is myth and TAO11 and goggi are unable to prove me wrong

Portuguese never mentioned benin ife relationship but records of benin soldiers on eko and other yoruba environs was mentioned including oyo and none on ife , Because it was just a fabrication

You all should laff at the joke egharevba formed o ile binu to benin... Seriously grin grin

The Portuguese would have gone for a simpler word like edo since its easier to pronounce instead of corrupting ile binu

Our neighbors never knew us as benins but rather a corrupt version of edo so why was the Portuguese different did you both ask yourself
The why, i bet no

This will occur if the Portuguese had originally invented the name to identify us due to the initially language barrier like i have explained on my previous comment

See the attachments below

Ever since I have been on this post, this is the only straw you are clinging on that " Portuguese never mentioned any Benin - Ife contact" anything aside that you have not contributed anything worthy of serious dialogue. You need to understand the art of debate and dialogue bro. You even asked TAO for the pictures of the severed heads of the obas! Bro afar na. That's way too lame of a comeback. Like it's must be in her own possession for you to believe your obas are buried there. Bro logic, logic, I repeat logic!

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by macof(m): 11:21pm On Apr 26, 2020
Sewgon79:

A tribe is group of people, ethnics with common interest, language, culture and traditions. So that make Yoruba a tribe. Out of Yoruba you have, Ekiti, Ìjẹ̀sà, awori, ègún, ijebu, yewa, Ẹ̀gbá, Ondo, ọwọ, etc
so the French are a tribe?
The white Americans are a tribe?
The Chinese are a tribe?

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by TAO11(f): 11:48pm On Apr 26, 2020
hayoholla:

Ever since I have been on this post, this is the only straw you are clinging on that " Portuguese never mentioned any Benin - Ife contact" anything aside that you have not contributed anything worthy of serious dialogue. You need to understand the art of debate and dialogue bro. You even asked TAO for the pictures of the severed heads of the obas! Bro afar na. That's way too lame of a comeback. Like it's must be in her own possession for you to believe your obas are buried there. Bro logic, logic, I repeat logic!

(1) Even his claim of no early Portuguese writing is a bloody face-saving lie.

D. M. Bondarenko mentioned clearly that there are 1500s and 1600s European writings which document the Ife-Benin relationship. (See 1st attachment)

(2) And regarding the pictures of the skulls, he obviously mentioned at as a face-saving last resort reply, since there was obviously no possible intelligent counter-argument he could muster.

I could have shown him the 2nd attachment below and unscrupulously label those as the skulls of his Obas (since he insists on seeing skulls cheesy) while leaving him to interview the skulls to identify themselves. cheesy

1st attachment is from:
D. M. Bondarenko, "Advent of the Second (Oba) Dynasty: Another Assessment of a Benin History Key Point", History in Africa, Cambridge University Press, Vol. 30 (2003), p.71.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Sewgon79(m): 8:59am On Apr 27, 2020
macof:
The Chinese are a tribe?

Okay
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Sewgon79(m): 9:09am On Apr 27, 2020
macof:
The Chinese are a tribe?

Okay I think Yoruba could be said to be a tribe, because Yoruba is a nation of its own with different sub ethnic with same languages, cultural backgrounds and same traditions. All of same Ancestors, Ile ife.

Yeah. But if we are not colonised and divided and enslave. Yorùbá is a tribe of different ethnic groups, e.g. Ègún, Ekiti, ijebu, Ọ̀yọ́, Ondo, tàpá, ọwọ, though they all have their different dialect, kind of local language. But primarily share common general language which is Yoruba.
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by macof(m): 11:41am On Apr 27, 2020
Sewgon79:

Okay I think Yoruba could be said to be a tribe, because Yoruba is a nation of its own with different sub ethnic with same languages, cultural backgrounds and same traditions. All of same Ancestors, Ile ife.

Yeah. But if we are not colonised and divided and enslave. Yorùbá is a tribe of different ethnic groups, e.g. Ègún, Ekiti, ijebu, Ọ̀yọ́, Ondo, tàpá, ọwọ, though they all have their different dialect, kind of local language. But primarily share common general language which is Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Amujale(m): 3:38pm On Apr 27, 2020
Sewgon79:

The term tribe is a Eurocentric concept; perhaps an adaptation of the term 'Ethnicity'

Yoruba is an Ethnicity and not a tribe.

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Amujale(m): 3:39pm On Apr 27, 2020
Sewgon79:

The term tribe is used in many different contexts to refer to a category of human social group. The predominant usage of the term is in the discipline of anthropology. The definition is contested, in part due to conflicting theoretical understandings of social and kinship structures, and also reflecting the problematic application of this concept to extremely diverse human societies. The concept is often contrasted by anthropologists with other social and kinship groups, being hierarchically larger than a lineage or clan, but smaller than a chiefdom, nation or state. These terms are equally disputed. In some cases tribes have legal recognition and some degree of political autonomy from national or federal government, but this legalistic usage of the term may conflict with anthropological definitions.

The word tribe first occurred in English in 12th-century Middle English-literature, in reference to the twelve tribes of Israel. The Middle English word is derived from Old French tribu and, in turn, from Latin tribus (plural tribūs), in reference to a supposed tripartite division of the original Roman state.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribe
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Amujale(m): 3:40pm On Apr 27, 2020
Sewgon79:

A tribe is group of people, ethnics with common interest, language, culture and traditions. So that make Yoruba a tribe...

You're way off the mark.

An ethnic group or ethnicity is a category of people who identify with each other, usually on the basis similarities such as common language, ancestry, history, society, culture, nation or social treatment within their residing area.

Ethnicity is often used synonymously with the term nation, particularly in cases of ethnic nationalism.

In contrast to the recent concept of "tribe", commentary on ethnicity goes way back to periods 'Before the Common Era'.

Ethnography begins in classical antiquity; after early authors like Anaximander and Hecataeus of Miletus, Herodotus in c. 480 BCE laid the foundation of both historiography and ethnography of the olden days world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_group

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Amujale(m): 3:52pm On Apr 27, 2020
In other words the notion that Yoruba or any other African ethnicity is a tribe, simply amounts to fiction.

African ethnicity is responsible for the make up of all the current stock of people in the world today.
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Amujale(m): 4:01pm On Apr 27, 2020
MetaPhysical:

You are welcome. It is by far deeper than what I shared. Each paragraph there is a branch in itself that can bring further revelations but I wanted to be brief and close to surface as possible.

That which is in heaven is "orunmila"
That which is earthly is "odumila".
That which sorrounds is "Efe"
That which is beneath is "Ogun"

....Ela l'oro!
Ela, Ila and Allah are same!

Nobody mines a resource underneath without first consulting Ogun.

While odumila is resourceful, Efe is nurturing, and orunmila sustains.

Wisdom of the ancients my brother!

Interesting, highly educative and on point.
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Amujale(m): 4:04pm On Apr 27, 2020
MetaPhysical:

Ela, Ila and Allah are same!....

New information says that Allah is infact a Sumerian god - Alla

Yes, Ila and Allah are the same but both these terms originate from Mesopotamia and not even Arabia.

The notion that Allah is a supreme God has been found to be questionable.

The scholarship shows that infact he has brothers, companions and even a father!?

The epic of Atrahasis WB-62

Scholars that translated the cuneiform include:

ℹDr Thorkild Peter Rudolph Jacobsen PhD

ℹBen Alster (Death in Mesopotamia Volume 8 - this book is currently sold out on Amazon - $500)

ℹDr Stephanie Dally PhD
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Amujale(m): 4:56pm On Apr 27, 2020
For me, Oduduwa was a Yoruba emmisary from Yorubaland that rose to prominance and became Emperor.

One may argue about how he achieved that and what the significance of that is, however to contract the Emperor's glorious existence to a foreign and hostile land is not only unwitty but outright counterproductive.

Assuming we havent learnt anything in world history, its that theres a systematic attempt to exclude Africa from the global narrative therefore it is in our utmost interest to approach our history from a selfish and fulfiling point of view.

Attempting to claim that us the Africansic that everyone else in the world attempt to downplay the monumental role our ancestors has on all humanity, is somehow connected to a land that was void of human activity whilst the phenoms was roaming the Earth organising and inventing the very things that makes our world tick, is somewhat outrageous.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Mraphel: 3:15pm On Jun 13, 2020
gregyboy:

Yea there was never ogiso, i just figured that out not too long, it was always oba from the start

But i believe ekaladeran lived and died at ughoton tho he didnt have any history with ife as it was assumed......

Ekaladeran existed tho he found ughoton and rituals are still be conducted at ughoton till date

There was never ogiso i believed that too

Ile binu was given by the itsekiri which Portuguese converted to benin

Go to the itsekiris they will tell you the truth about Ile ibinu...how Oramiyan the first coined it for the new city he founded. Then, was never Itsekiris.

You will dislike Yoruba a lot in real life bro

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Mraphel: 3:19pm On Jun 13, 2020
gregyboy:

I dont believe there was oromiyan am replying a guy who said oromiyan existed

Your are been hyperactive right now
Why won't Oranmiyan existed? He was famous that he and his emissaries won the war from ife to Benin land.

He founded many towns Benin inclusive.

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Mraphel: 3:20pm On Jun 13, 2020
babtoundey:

See you driving forth and back. Now there was Ekaladeran. But yesterday and the day before he didn't exist. Why is it that you cannot be consistent and assertive for once? Now, you have thrown another bombshell: There was never Ogiso. it had always been Oba right from the beginning.

Believe me, if you keep on like this, no sane person will take you serious. In fact, I have stopped reading most of your comments (particular those that relate to Benin/Ife and even Benin itself).

Why don't just take your time compile your facts make it whole and come back to tell us how it is this and not that. Presenting a work that is badly researched, badly compiled and awfully done will not win you a medal. I'm sure tomorrow (This I have said before) you have the tendency of coming back and telling us your findings have shown all you present today to be hearsays. Be consistent. If you want to lie, table a complete, plausible, constant and defendable lies. Not the kind that changes colour like a chameleon.
Bless you
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by gregyboy(m): 5:02pm On Jun 13, 2020
Mraphel:

Why won't Oranmiyan existed? He was famous that he and his emissaries won the war from ife to Benin land.

He founded many towns Benin inclusive.

Mumu quote me the works of your earliest scholars who brought this myth into reality samuel johnson........

To him oduduwa gave birth to all the yoruba kingdoms including benin, benin was an older brother to oromiyan, benin was third to last and oromiyan was the last born........ In his account Oronmiyan fought his imiginary wars with the nupes and other northern territories and he never visited benin according to samuel johson ...... Samuel Crowther said Oduduwa is an Hebrew mam........

Bro i dont know were you got your account from because those places oromiyan waged the imagined war with dont even have record at any times of Oronmiyan
Unless you want to give me proves of oromiyan conquesr in those areas, abi na only benin oromiyan do all the conquest

If benin still exist today and serves as your evidence of oromiyan Conquest then others like nupe and the northern fronitiers were he fought is wars would still be able to recognize is influence and his establishment of thier various royal stool by oromiyan

I need the evidence of those areas, we have evidence from benin as you claimed

Again..... Oduduwa was a mere diety that was worshiped by ife people no yorubas in history ever came or recongnised it origin to ife until samuel johson in 1897 wrote about it

If benin kept relationship in the past with ife as a father state, what relationship did benin keep with oyo as a direct brother state and the mythology made it known oromiyan left to oyo

Through out history there was no relationship between oyo and benin even when the myth believed oromiyan resided there......

Bro stop believing rubbish because it suit you

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by TAO12: 5:07pm On Jun 13, 2020
gregyboy:

[s]Mumu quote me the works of your earliest scholars who brought this myth into reality samuel johnson........

To him oduduwa gave birth to all the yoruba kingdoms including benin, benin was an older brother to oromiyan, benin was third to last and oromiyan was the last born........ In his account Oronmiyan fought his imiginary wars with the nupes and other northern territories and he never visited benin according to samuel johson ...... Samuel Crowther said Oduduwa is an Hebrew mam........

Bro i dont know were you got your account from because those places oromiyan waged the imagined war with dont even have record at any times of Oronmiyan
Unless you want to give me proves of oromiyan conquesr in those areas, abi na only benin oromiyan do all the conquest

If benin still exist today and serves as your evidence of oromiyan Conquest then others like nupe and the northern fronitiers were he fought is wars would still be able to recognize is influence and his establishment of thier various royal stool by oromiyan

Again..... Oduduwa was a mere diety that was worshiped by ife people no yorubas in history ever came or recongnised it origin to ife until samuel johson in 1897 wrote about it

If benin kept relationship in the past with ife as a father state, what relationship did benin keep with oyo as a direct brother state and the mythology made it known oromiyan left to oyo

Through out history there was no relationship between oyo and benin even when the myth believed oromiyan resided there......

Bro stop believing rubbish because it suit you[/s]

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Mraphel: 5:48pm On Jun 14, 2020
gregyboy:

Mumu quote me the works of your earliest scholars who brought this myth into reality samuel johnson........

Bro stop believing rubbish because it suit you

Oronmiyan was not Oduduwa's son...he was Oduduwa's great grandson.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by gregyboy(m): 5:54pm On Jun 14, 2020
Mraphel:

Oronmiyan was not Oduduwa's son...he was Oduduwa's great grandson.

Argue with the originator of the myth

Samuel johnson 1897 who says otherwise

The problem with myth is it can never be too sweet or too full to accompany other lies

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by TAO12: 6:02pm On Jun 14, 2020
gregyboy:

Argue with the originator of the myth

Samuel johnson 1897 who says otherwise

The problem with myth is it can never be too sweet or too full to accompany other lies

Wait! Where did Samuel Johnson say that Oranmiyan was Oduduwa's son and not his grandson??

Edo liar on the loose! grin grin grin

Moreover, do you mean myth just like Roth's who made-up Ekalderhan and sold it to your dumb people?? /s

Or like Talbot's who made-up Ewuare and sold it to your dumb people?? /s

And many more.

cc: Mraphel

2 Likes

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by gregyboy(m): 7:37pm On Jun 14, 2020
TAO12:

Wait! Where did Samuel Johnson say that Oranmiyan was Oduduwa's so and not his grandson??

Edo liar on the lose! grin grin grin

Moreover, do you mean myth just like Roth's who made-up Ekalderhan and sold it to your dumb people?? /s

Or like Ruopells' who made-up Ewuare and sold it to your dumb people?? /s

And many more.

cc: Mraphel

Hate speech
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by TAO12: 7:46pm On Jun 14, 2020
gregyboy:

Hate speech

I hope you don't cry sha!

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by gregyboy(m): 7:49pm On Jun 14, 2020
TAO12:

I hope you don't cry sha!

Attention seaker
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by TAO12: 7:52pm On Jun 14, 2020
gregyboy:

Attention seaker

More like: Lies buster. grin

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by OGUN622: 8:31am On Sep 14, 2021
Mraphel:

Edo still a Yoruba word from (Ado) which translates to new settlement.

Correction: Oba Eweka changed it to Ubinu not Edo
Edo a corruption of Ado? I don't know if you guys forgery is to boost your self esteem, you mean you can just stay in Ogbomosho and peddle falsehood, the internet is a wonder!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by OKAIVBO: 5:15pm On Sep 16, 2021
AmuDimpka:

You guys are weaklins ... You have your land taken by Ijaws ! You have only two local government ...Oredo and Egor, Esan don't send you and mind you in former biafra Igbo defeated you easily ! In short it was a walk over and would always do that ...Igbo have the means and the population....

Also , Gelegele is off you...ijaw has aken it forever and you can't fight ijaw ! They have Niger population also

And finally, ye Igbo never included you in the former biafra and they aren't even including you in he doesn't biafra ....what we can do after biafra is go colonise you and that will be easier and you guys would be pleased for it
Ignorant fool, who inhabit these local government-Ikpoba Okha, Uhuwande,Orhiowmon, Ovia north East and Ovia south West? Nupe? https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://ihuanedo.ning.com/m/blogpost%3Fid%3D2971192%253ABlogPost%253A52249&ved=2ahUKEwiI9Jj68IPzAhUHDGMBHcPlDucQFnoECB8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw2EjIbmwuq7o1QsdCQ6HpAT

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by OGUN622: 4:22pm On Sep 22, 2021
samuk:

I can't easily recollect what it means, it's the name of the area bordering the Oba Palace, kings square/ring road and Oba market area. someone else may know.

I know Ogbee which sounds slightly different with the double ee means family but don't know the meaning of Ogbe.
Ogbe- Ogbe in this sense is like a base, a rallying point for a family fold when a man say "Ikhian so do 'Ogbe" he is talking about going to his base, his quarter, his fortress. Ogbe- to the Binis is the general base of the entire Bini fold and in extension the entire Edo race. It is the strongest of the Bini community, the very centre of the seat of power. You find it in words reflecting unity, Oneness of the Binis in celebration of end of year festivals,- Iselogbe, Ogbe magbaro, Ogbe- Isena, Ogbe mavbediaru
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by OGUN622: 5:02pm On Sep 22, 2021
lx3as:

You are muddling up lots of things hence your confusion!

I'm related to the Ado you just mentioned and I would give you a little history about my place. A PhD holder once made the same silly statement 'Ado-Ekiti people are from Bini' and I sat him down and told him our history since I share same with Ado, I will only tell you the abridged one since I don't believe I'm dealing with sound fellow.

The Ewi, Oluda, and their brother, Tewogbade were the children of Olofin (another name for Ìfẹ ruler) who left Ìfẹ to establish their kingdoms. They settled in different territories like ilésà, Owena before leaving for a place in present Edo state. After some time they re-traced their steps and settled in Ido-Ani in present Ondo State. After many years and to cut the story short, they left Ido-Ani and settled in many other communities like present Oba-Ile, Emure, Àgbádó, etc before finally arrived Ado. At Ado, they met ancient people and also Obatala followers who had settled earlier. We call these people 'Ulesun, Urahurẹ́ people'.

Most communities those days had priests leadership and they were like further extension of Ìfẹ; they revered Ìfẹ, its gods and rulers. Immediately a prince came with any Ìfẹ palace regalia, crown, Ida, beats, etc the older leadership gave way for them to become king. It's not always through war... to cut long story short, Oduduwa children from Ori-Eguru, Ile Ìfẹ, the Ọmọ Ọwá, Ewi became king over Ado people while Oluda became king of Iyin-Ekiti. They have nothing to do with Bini.

Although settled people in eastern Yoruba settlements accord Bini princes same honour given to those of Ìfẹ (they accepted Bini, through Oranmiyan, as an extension of Ìfẹ). That's why towns like Ikare, Ikere have two obas till this day. Reason people of Iwerre who were mainly from Ikale, Ilaje and Ijebu installed Ginuwa from Bini as their king.

Most Bini influence in the eastern Yoruba territories were not through Bini soldiers but through Yoruba lords & territories who were loyal to the Oba being from Oranmiyan, the revered Ìfẹ prince and ruler. for instance, Ikere waged lots of war on Ado to maintain Bini trading influence.

I will repeat here, whatever past glory of Bini was due to its Ìfẹ connection in blood (people), culture, religion, arts, etc.

Can you now tell me the meaning of Ado in Igodomigodo language?[
Don't be a fool, I have only seen this much hardened foolishness among yoruba.

Whether Igodomigodo, Aka by the urhobos, Idu by Igbos, Edo by Binis, Esans and Afemai. It is all but naming and it is actually referring to the same entity or thing. If at all we agree that there were some migrant, who were Yoruba, we acknowledge their ancestry as we also acknowledge the other migrations we received from anioma, ijaw, Urhobo and others.

If Ginuwa was yoruboid in the sense that he could speak Yoruba I can't tell but I can tell strongly of his Itsekiri Title "Ogiame" which has stuck till date and is pure Edo in origin. This can only point us to the fact that if he was yoruboid by that 15th century he has assimilated into the Edo society.

That will only tell us one thing of an Edo majority that was on ground, which assimilated these migrant that is why a Yoruba or Igbo migrant will be confuse on his first entrance into Bini city, an Esan, Urhobo or Etsako man will not. Check most of your records, Bini and Edo were used interchangeably when they were talking of an Edo military that conquered many parts of Eastern yorubaland, Ado precisely in this case in reference to you. That Yoruba is not spoken in Benin city today only goes to show that the migrant you talked about were only a minuscule part of the Edo society(and the language spoken is not even close to Yoruba) (Igbo is even closer to yoruba than Edo linguistically)and they United with the Edo majority in thought and unity of purpose to evolve what later became a glorious empire of enviable appeal. Common sense should tell you that the 90% of the personnel's who made up the army were Binis, Esans, Afemai, Urhobo (Edo groups)with a few from The Anioma and the Eastern Yoruba areas when needed.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

10 Ways To Say ‘hello’ To A Nigerian / Nigerian Kings Exquisite Cars At The Sokoto Durbar Yesterday (photos) / Women Want To Be Men, We Can’t Be Equal – Ooni Of Ife’s Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.