Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,591 members, 7,812,924 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:42 PM

Clean-Up Committee Eases Traffic In Obalende, Clears Illegal Parks, Garages - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Clean-Up Committee Eases Traffic In Obalende, Clears Illegal Parks, Garages (36473 Views)

Insecurity: We'll Shut Illegal Parks, Pull Down Uncompleted Buildings - Wike / Court Sacks Oluomo-led Parks, Garages Committee, Reinstates RTEAN / MC Oluomo Introduces Barcodes In Parks, Garages To Stop Crime, Kidnapping (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Clean-Up Committee Eases Traffic In Obalende, Clears Illegal Parks, Garages by 0m0nnakoda: 2:11pm On Mar 03, 2020
COMPAQ:

I'm tired of all these arguments of government not providing alternatives!! What alternatives should government be providing for illegal acts that should never have been allowed to occur on the first place? Look at the pictures of people trading over gutters. Eventually ask their waste and plastic bottles end up in the gutter, blocks it then causes flood.

At that point we'll all complain about government inaction and incompetence, but this is where it starts from.
Yes government should not disrupt kidnappings without providing alternatives
Re: Clean-Up Committee Eases Traffic In Obalende, Clears Illegal Parks, Garages by fineyemi(m): 3:59pm On Mar 03, 2020
Handsome13:

Thank you yemi. The changing of word was deliberate.

Sometimes, let's learn to mind our business.

alryt
Re: Clean-Up Committee Eases Traffic In Obalende, Clears Illegal Parks, Garages by Emma1Oj(m): 6:23pm On Mar 03, 2020
flejnr:
I give you 3weeks and the parks and garage are back again
this is not Ambode regime o.. This man here has Fashola mandset.. Sanwo and Fashola are so close.
Re: Clean-Up Committee Eases Traffic In Obalende, Clears Illegal Parks, Garages by ayo2pec(m): 6:43pm On Mar 03, 2020
As things are Lagos may soon need to set up immigration procedures.

So many eye sore need to be cleared while government work out a social safety net programme

We Barned Okada and now clearing petty trader great but we should be mindful these likely idle hands need to be engaged economically, hence there is need for an home grown empowerment programme , and of course one that will be well coordinated and focused at alleviating poverty for willing individual.

if we don't act... we will get ourselves to blame as the saying goes one solution could result into another problem, as such its better government take an holistic view and solve these at once

Twitter - @jwealthk
Re: Clean-Up Committee Eases Traffic In Obalende, Clears Illegal Parks, Garages by NiCurious: 6:53pm On Mar 03, 2020
geosegun:

No, he wrote that 'alternatives' should be provided for those people before chasing them. I believed I interpreted his sentences correctly. However, your write-up was more sane and reasonable. This how it supposed to be from inception. However, Nigeria is such a place where we don't have ethics and we are so corrupt that everyone is a partaker one way or the other and everyone wants to be seen as a saint. We support illegality all the time and expect things to work out miraculously.

I thank you for your considered reply...though I almost wish you hadn't replied...there is ever the sense that even all the clear-headed people have given up, trying to make even the one square meter that they stand on, run well. I will not ask you which illegality you support. Rather I will ask whether some laws are unworkable and need to change.
Re: Clean-Up Committee Eases Traffic In Obalende, Clears Illegal Parks, Garages by geosegun(m): 9:05pm On Mar 03, 2020
NiCurious:

I thank you for your considered reply...though I almost wish you hadn't replied...there is ever the sense that even all the clear-headed people have given up, trying to make even the one square meter that they stand on, run well. I will not ask you which illegality you support. Rather I will ask whether some laws are unworkable and need to change.

Just to mention that the word "we" was used in context. It represents Nigerians in general. Despite the fact that I don't live in Nigeria, however, I am still a Nigerian and will continue to count myself as one, hence the word "we".

Now back to your question in terms of the law. I think the laws are there, it is the implementation and enforcement, that is the problem. When the foundation is wrong, then whatever we build on the foundation will be very weak and wobbly. We have to go back to the drawing board, redesign the foundation based on good ethics, fairness and justice. If we enact, uphold and implement the law in the way it is done in saner climes, no matter whose OX is gored, then we are in for the right development.

Now let me tell you of someone's recent experience at the Ikoyi Passport Office. Do you know, that despite the fact that the government has implemented Online Passport registrations and payments. Those greedy immigration workers still find a way to charge extra #10,000 to #15,000 under the guise of requesting you have your documents signed before you can proceed for Bio-metrics? If you insist you want to do the 'supposed' signing yourself, then no one will show you any office or direction. You will be totally ignored and you may possibly never get anything done. It means one should be ready to part with #40,000 just for passport renewal alone. #25,000 goes to Government because you paid online and #15,000 goes to corrupt officials. Nigerians have seen such dubious acts as normal thing. Are they not supporting illegality?

If you tell or report to someone at the immigration office or outside, they will still ask you to go do the needful, if you don't want to waste your time? which seemed true anyway. As no one will border to attend to you, without parting with some money. Is that a sane country. Are those immigration workers at the passport office not humans? not Africans? and not Nigerians? The Implementation and enforcement is the problem. Nigeria can not grow and develop with such mentality.

Apologies, if I seemed to rant a bit. I'm just not impressed despite our potentials. I am happy to help in anyway possible if I've got the chance as a true Nigerian but Majority of Nigerians are not sincere and are not patriotic. This is the stark naked truth.
Re: Clean-Up Committee Eases Traffic In Obalende, Clears Illegal Parks, Garages by stanliwise(m): 10:53pm On Mar 03, 2020
erico2k2:

there you go , if you are any close to reality the poorest people in Lagos are Lagosians themselves as those you think came to Lagos to hustle came with extra funds to hold themselves.
Sentiment aside, me and you know that lagos is a small State compare to large land mass of others state. If you're made the governor, no matter how benevolent you are, Thing wouldn't get better until you repair the country as a whole. Shop on road and street is a No-No, it has over crowded everywhere and everything. I am not blaming any citizens, I am just making an observation.
Re: Clean-Up Committee Eases Traffic In Obalende, Clears Illegal Parks, Garages by erico2k2(m): 10:55pm On Mar 03, 2020
stanliwise:
Sentiment aside, me and you know that lagos is a small State compare to large land mass of others state. If you're made the governor, no matter how benevolent you are, Thing wouldn't get better until you repair the country as a whole. Shop on road and street is a No-No, it has over crowded everywhere and everything. I am not blaming any citizens, I am just making an observation.
ALl Im saying is the Govt can do more, instead of selling off lands, they can make these space on a pay as U go basis as seen in western countries where they encourage street trading. Some whole streets are closed i n some days and time so people can trade
Re: Clean-Up Committee Eases Traffic In Obalende, Clears Illegal Parks, Garages by 9jaRealist: 7:19am On Mar 04, 2020
EKO ONI BAJE!!!!

Looks like BSO is serious about curbing the Nigerian culture of ANYHOWNESS, chaos and lawlessness in Lagos! WELL DONE!

>
Re: Clean-Up Committee Eases Traffic In Obalende, Clears Illegal Parks, Garages by NiCurious: 7:44pm On Mar 04, 2020
geosegun:

Just to mention that the word "we" was used in context. It represents Nigerians in general. Despite the fact that I don't live in Nigeria, however, I am still a Nigerian and will continue to count myself as one, hence the word "we".

Now back to your question in terms of the law. I think the laws are there, it is the implementation and enforcement, that is the problem. When the foundation is wrong, then whatever we build on the foundation will be very weak and wobbly. We have to go back to the drawing board, redesign the foundation based on good ethics, fairness and justice. If we enact, uphold and implement the law in the way it is done in saner climes, no matter whose OX is gored, then we are in for the right development.

Now let me tell you of someone's recent experience at the Ikoyi Passport Office. Do you know, that despite the fact that the government has implemented Online Passport registrations and payments. Those greedy immigration workers still find a way to charge extra #10,000 to #15,000 under the guise of requesting you have your documents signed before you can proceed for Bio-metrics? If you insist you want to do the 'supposed' signing yourself, then no one will show you any office or direction. You will be totally ignored and you may possibly never get anything done. It means one should be ready to part with #40,000 just for passport renewal alone. #25,000 goes to Government because you paid online and #15,000 goes to corrupt officials. Nigerians have seen such dubious acts as normal thing. Are they not supporting illegality?

If you tell or report to someone at the immigration office or outside, they will still ask you to go do the needful, if you don't want to waste your time? which seemed true anyway. As no one will border to attend to you, without parting with some money. Is that a sane country. Are those immigration workers at the passport office not humans? not Africans? and not Nigerians? The Implementation and enforcement is the problem. Nigeria can not grow and develop with such mentality.

Apologies, if I seemed to rant a bit. I'm just not impressed despite our potentials. I am happy to help in anyway possible if I've got the chance as a true Nigerian but Majority of Nigerians are not sincere and are not patriotic. This is the stark naked truth.

No, you're not really ranting, or rather it's yet another verse after the chorus.
To your no-need-for-apologies long post, I will simply ask this: Do you feel that too many years have passed since anything kind of worked, and the memory of a somewhat functional society has been lost?
Re: Clean-Up Committee Eases Traffic In Obalende, Clears Illegal Parks, Garages by geosegun(m): 8:22pm On Mar 04, 2020
NiCurious:

No, you're not really ranting, or rather it's yet another verse after the chorus.
To your no-need-for-apologies long post, I will simply ask this: Do you feel that too many years have passed since anything kind of worked, and the memory of a somewhat functional society has been lost?

Yes, We've lost good ethics and hence, never had any idea of how a functional society/country should be/look... Most abnormal acts and behaviors have been accepted by proxy to be normal things.

Not until some Nigerians traveled out of the country before they realized that the way the country is being governed is not the right way at all. It should be run differently, such that Nigerians are forced to do the right thing, irrespective of the level of noise that may emanate from such good ventures. Please note the word 'FORCE'. We (Most Nigerians) are not disciplined, laws are not respected, very greedy and tribalism has eating deep into the very fabric of the nation. It will take a highly disciplined, well motivated and result oriented person with great level of determinations and vision to take our beloved country to the promise land.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Peter Obi To Soludo: Anybody Supporting Me That Fights You Is On His Own / Buhari Will Not Force My Impeachment Illegally - Fayose / Tinubu, Akande Shun APC NEC Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.