Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,465 members, 7,819,697 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! - Career (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! (101148 Views)

Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much / How I Got Fired From Chevron By A Gay Boss / Robot Demoted And Fired At A Supermarket In UK After A Week Of Incompetence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by SweetCunt97(f): 5:29pm On Mar 07, 2020
Martinez39s:
Shut up! Do you know me? How could you possibly know that I can't look a girl in the eyes if you have never met or known me personally?

Let me tell you something woman: women are just human beings and they are not special, or the best thing to happen since slice bread. There is nothing special, classy, or glorious about female humans that I can't look them in the eye. You women are just MERE human beings like men and there is nothing special about you people. What is the worst that could happen if I look a woman in the eye? Will she kill me? Do I, like the pathetic ones called simps, glorify and pedestalise women to extent that any contact or conversation with them is such a big deal or privilege? Nah! You women ain't śhit. smiley

You women overestimate yourselves and I blame the worthless simps that put you women on a pedestal and make you feel like the best thing to happen since slice bread. Women ain't śhit, and their pùssy ain't śhit. smiley
Guy abeg I no fit read this epistle naw undecided

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Nickisindigo(m): 5:29pm On Mar 07, 2020
artificial intelligence is the new thing
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by vickthorious(m): 5:31pm On Mar 07, 2020
4dor:
If there's one thing I've learnt from this thread it's that the poverty in Naija is real. Poverty also starts as a mindset.

Mid Level Software Developers earn around 250-400k in Nigeria. Seniors earn 500k upwards, in fact sometime last year there was a vacancy in Lekki and the Salary was between 800k - 1m.

If you work remotely for a foreign company as a senior and you're good, you can even hit 1.5m monthly.

Before you try to argue, I've been in this industry for the past seven years.

If you want to be like this get a laptop and start learning how to code.
what are the basics in learning how to code..can you shade more light

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Mariangeles(f): 5:33pm On Mar 07, 2020
Fragility6:

No vex o but sharpening ur skills n broadening one's mindset is the hardest part of self development. How can one do that?
By exploring.
Information is at your disposal.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by BennyDGreat: 5:33pm On Mar 07, 2020
Fragility6:

Tech now is d real deal... Saw a remote job diz week in Canada, 80k Cad a month wit benefits. 80k o broda dats abt 21mil a month

That kinda job will definitely require high-level experience and problem solving capacity

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by mamatwiny(f): 5:33pm On Mar 07, 2020
Scholar212:
The reason alot of people think the OP salary is unbelievable is because it is in naira. From the write up, it is a remote IT job which the company most likely is US based, there are many Tech guys in naija working remotely for tech companies abroad. The pay is just around $2k which will be far lower than what they will pay for same position in their country. Blame the valueless naira for making $2k dollars look so big.
There was one remote job I applied to that had 4 recruitment stages. The salary if converted to naira was over 1million monthly. I had talked with 2 Nigerians currently working in the coy and they told me they pay promptly, however, there is no promotion and some other cons which they informed me of.
I was on the 4th stage b4 the final interview and devil used my hubby to attack. This stage has 100 questions to answer in15mins. Hubby just came back from God knows where , entered my room and said I should give him my charger. I waved at him giving him sign to leave my room but he insisted I should go and bring him the charger as he needed to charge his phone urgently. I lost concentration that was it.
The thought of it now just changed my mood.

Nb- I saw the job on LinkedIn.

18 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Mariangeles(f): 5:35pm On Mar 07, 2020
deltateam:

He's speaking from his own experience. 70% of graduate hardly receive above #100k
I know, but he needs to broaden his mindset, rather than being doubtful.

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by betterpikinn: 5:36pm On Mar 07, 2020
CokeBar:
Share your experience with us if you have ever been fired. It would be better if we can share:

1. Why we were fired?
2. How did the firing process happen?
3. Aftermath of being fired… how did you feel, have you recovered, did you get something better?

So, I’ll start:

Sometimes last year, I got an unbelievable offer (well above #750k) at a remote company. I bought a PC, subscribed for large data and set-up a workspace. On Monday which was resumption day, I turned on my PC, logged in and started the online meeting… everything went well for the first day and I got introduced to my colleagues. My friend and I actually got employed for same position, so we usually chatted while working. To be onboarded, we had to install a productivity monitoring tool on our PCs, we were told everything we did on the PC would be captured if the tool was turned ON but I really don’t know why I cared less.

On Wednesday same week, we had a short and simple test, during the test, I asked my friend for an answer as I wasn’t so sure, he responded and that was it.

On Thursday, I had a quick one-on-one call with my manager, I was fired. Apparently, I wasn’t supposed to ask for assistance while taking the test. I apologized but the answer was a straight NO (you sabi how oyinbo people strict). So in other words, I was sacked because I cheated ☹.

Well, they paid me for the few days I worked �

I have experienced other sad situations, but this has to be the worst. I was so depressed, the following Sunday, I went to Church and it was while Pastor asked us to greet our neighbor, I remembered I didn’t brush… LMAO.

Now, I got something with abit lesser pay but still very chilled grin
I guess you're referring to 750k per annum because I don't know any oyinbo firm that pays that much for a bsc or MSc holder, except if you're only deceiving yourself sha.
ALL for internet attention...
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Nobody: 5:40pm On Mar 07, 2020
vickthorious:
please wat scholarship and how did u go about the scholarship ? let local man try his luck biko
there are several fo them from these multinational oil and gas coys like Total, Shell,Chevron and Exxon Mobil. Just be on the look out. Mine was course specific( Medical and Engineering students in their second year with a specified minimum CGPA from year one) from Chevron.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by CokeBar(f): 5:40pm On Mar 07, 2020
betterpikinn:

I guess you're referring to 750k per annum because I don't know any oyinbo firm that pays that much for a bsc or MSc holder, except if you're only deceiving yourself sha.

Okay, thanks for your input smiley

And no, I actually meant over 750k/month.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Mrshape: 5:41pm On Mar 07, 2020
tyup:

Lol na you o the lesson teacher that took me in secondary school then my dad pays him 8k monthly and guess what? I cleared all my papers at once without having to sit for any exam again in my life. Need I to say he also taught me how to read like read fr

The Question is why didn't you go back or call the woman that you've got a change of mind coz at even 40K I'll say you must have been very lucky

That's what I learnt in that case, I would have told her I will get back to her.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by GoodBoi1(m): 5:42pm On Mar 07, 2020
betterpikinn:

Then there is much you need to know. Cost of living in a place like USA is higher than in Nigeria. Earning $30k dollars per year is like poor man salary there while it is big in Nigeria because the cost of living here is low and the naira has lost value in the past decade. A tech job a foreign company can pay an American $6k dollars per month, they can hire a Nigerian or an Indian who can do the same but will be paid less because the cost of living in their economy is low. So a Nigerian can be paid $3k dollars while working remotely from Naija, the company saves $3k dollars and still get the same value for $3k

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by orunmila144: 5:43pm On Mar 07, 2020
Dollywood:

What's the obsession with this Zodiac signs nowadays
who else is obsessed with it ?

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by vickthorious(m): 5:44pm On Mar 07, 2020
kokanepyramid:
there are several fo them from these multinational oil and gas coys like Total, Shell,Chevron and Exxon Mobil. Just be on the look out. Mine was course specific( Medical and Engineering students in their second year with a specified minimum CGPA from year one) from Chevron.
oh ok thanks..but how would i keep track of it
is it posted on their website or how? sorry for the questions
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Martinez39s(m): 5:46pm On Mar 07, 2020
SweetCunt97:
Guy abeg I no fit read this epistle naw undecided
It's not an epistle. Just concede that you lack the mental stamina and acuity like the typical bimbo. Good day.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by iammiracle1(m): 5:53pm On Mar 07, 2020
CokeBar:
Yes, why?
Ma, please what branch of IT are you into?
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by iammiracle1(m): 5:55pm On Mar 07, 2020
oluwaseyi000:

Why we were fired?
I joined this company last year, few days after finishing my NYSC, they have the highest number of software developers in Africa and I was loving life, the salary is great with breakfast and lunch

They keep on employing so many software engineer with time the engineer become more than the available job, I saw it coming but I don't know what the board was thinking

We have a global (online) meeting which people are asked not to miss, I was not even listening very well to what they are saying, the president said there are more developer than engagement to they have to let some people go, a mail was sent to all impacted people and I discovered what has just happened

Almost 400 people has been fired across Africa

3. Aftermath of being fired… how did you feel, have you recovered, did you get something better?

The company is actually a great one, they brought in pychologist to speak with us, bring in different recruiter, and other stuff, most importantly the payoff was reasonable that I can afford a Mac laptop of almost half-a-million

Luckily for me I got another reasonable job in less than 3 weeks of been retrenched

I always laugh when people complain there is no job in Nigeria, less than 5 month after leaving my previous company I have turned down almost 4 other offers some even paying than my current one

I so much saw the retrenchment coming that I once created a similar thread as this https://www.nairaland.com/5352267/why-how-loose-last-job

Please bro what branch of IT do you specialize in?
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by tyup(m): 5:55pm On Mar 07, 2020
Mrshape:

That's what I learnt in that case, I would have told her I will get back to her.

two things were involved in this

1. More like God's plan or Village people

but anyways future first bfr ego. prayers are better offers would come
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Ajibam: 5:56pm On Mar 07, 2020
CokeBar:

Cloud computing

Okay.

Best wishes .
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by CokeBar(f): 5:56pm On Mar 07, 2020
healthserve, lol! you're following my other moniker grin
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by braveheart77: 5:57pm On Mar 07, 2020
oluwaseyi000:

Why we were fired?
I joined this company last year, few days after finishing my NYSC, they have the highest number of software developers in Africa and I was loving life, the salary is great with breakfast and lunch

They keep on employing so many software engineer with time the engineer become more than the available job, I saw it coming but I don't know what the board was thinking

We have a global (online) meeting which people are asked not to miss, I was not even listening very well to what they are saying, the president said there are more developer than engagement to they have to let some people go, a mail was sent to all impacted people and I discovered what has just happened

The company is actually a great one, they brought in pychologist to speak with us, bring in different recruiter, and other stuff, most importantly the payoff was reasonable that I can afford a Mac laptop of almost half-a-million

Luckily for me I got another reasonable job in less than 3 weeks of been retrenched

I always laugh when people complain there is no job in Nigeria, less than 5 month after leaving my previous company I have turned down almost 4 other offers some even paying than my current one

I so much saw the retrenchment coming that I once created a similar thread as this https://www.nairaland.com/5352267/why-how-loose-last-job
Andela
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by damzy88: 5:57pm On Mar 07, 2020
philip0906:
Wow!

One of the things I've learnt over time while working, is to be one step ahead.

I once worked in a company where my line manager was a compete nut head. I saw the handwriting on the wall that I needed to leave. I fired up my cv ASAP and got an offer (way better offer than I was paid) and dropped my resignation letter. My line manager was shocked...I knew he would have fired me, or atleast recommended my sack, if I didn't take that drastic step of been 1 step ahead. Soon after I left, 2 other devs, were fired.

Everywhere I have worked in my short career, I've always tried to read moves, anticipate actions and moves, position myself in a way, no one will take me by surprise.
You are always woke.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Dollywood(m): 5:57pm On Mar 07, 2020
orunmila144:
who else is obsessed with it ?

Many i can't mention.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Segbu1: 5:57pm On Mar 07, 2020
oluwaseyi000:

Why we were fired?

Bro i have sent you a message. please i need a mentor and I would like to learn so much from you
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Dollywood(m): 5:58pm On Mar 07, 2020
shogsman:
Since I graduated over 8years ago I've only worked in a formal organization for 3weeks,I fired myself when my female boss started sending me silly errands like I was her boy boy,the painful part was that we were age mates, the pay was just 230k monthly,luckily for me they pay on the third week,I texted her as soon as I got alert,the text read ''SARAH WE'RE DONE".
Since then I've ventured into different businesses, now I am my own boss.

Just 250K? Oga o

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by healthserve(m): 5:59pm On Mar 07, 2020
CokeBar:
healthserve, lol! you're following my other moniker grin

Tell me. cheesy
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by KillerBeauty(f): 5:59pm On Mar 07, 2020
Odingo1:
This story look like a lie, so many loopholes

After offering 750k job for Naija
You haven't heard of crossover for work. Kindly Google it.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by KillerBeauty(f): 6:01pm On Mar 07, 2020
Stallion93:
Don’t give us half information here, What is your aim of telling us? We should go and beg for you or what? State in Clear terms what role your played in that company that Warrants 750k per month? what Company it is actually? and How some of us here can get your kind of connection?
Just Google crossover for work and see for yourself.
There are jobs in Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by orunmila144: 6:01pm On Mar 07, 2020
Dollywood:

Many i can't mention.
where is the loocation of these people ? nigeria ? what state ? i am interested in this info
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by BennyDGreat: 6:02pm On Mar 07, 2020
haaryobhami:

I meet tech guy on this nairaland,he stays in Nigeria but he does work for foreign tech company online nd he earns million.
man own a big shopping complex in lag nd still does government job.
I really envy those that went to IT line,I studied a different course nd wish I could still cross or learn tech without having to study it in university cause I'll be leaving this country soon.

money dy tech abeg

Learn from him if you can

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Eaztzide: 6:02pm On Mar 07, 2020
oluwaseyi000:

Why we were fired?

The company you speak about sounds like Andela. Just saying
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by SweetCunt97(f): 6:04pm On Mar 07, 2020
Martinez39s:
It's not an epistle. Just concede that you lack the mental stamina and acuity like the typical bimbo. Good day.
Jokes on you... Duhhhh

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (29) (Reply)

Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers / Salary Range Of Microfinance Bank Workers / Sacked Chicken Republic Dancers At A University In Cyprus (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.