Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,179 members, 7,845,871 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 06:54 AM

Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. (81837 Views)

Sanusi's Grandfather, Muhammadu Sanusi Was Dethroned By Ahmadu Bello / Sanusi Lamido: Suspended By President, Dethroned By Governor: Turbulent Journey / Sanusi Dethroned By Kano State Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Hoephase: 11:23am On Mar 11, 2020
sassysure:

What do u mean by not so powerful?
So obi of onitsha, a first class king is not so powerful?

Seems u guys don't really know what traditional rulers stand for.

I don't blame people anyway.

Thanks to ibadan tabloids we now have effizy kings.

Somebody even said most igbos don't know of obi of onitsha.
He is not a social.media king.

I read all your argument with the other dude. Igbo generally do not have kings so to speak. Picking Obi of Onitsha and Eze Nri two just from all the groups that make up the entire Igbo nation is an indication that Kingship is not an Igbo thing.

If I may ask you can you tell me the reach of Obi of Onitsha?

Under which kingdom is the present day Nsukka or Nkanu or Umuahia people are in?

You will start calling the names of the their new Igwe which like the other guy pointed out earlier on, were a function of British indirect rule. The kingship of Obi of Onitsha mirrors that of Oba of Benin which in terms of distance are not really far from each other. In typical interior of Igbo land before now they have ozo whom formed the committee of ndi iche which is not a title bestow on anyone based on birth or hereditary but on achievements like being the best hunter, distinguished farmer etc.

2 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by GGirll: 11:24am On Mar 11, 2020
Unbiased1:
Non from Igbo land cheesy
The Obi of Onitsha and those of Nnewi communities must be very disciplined people not to have been dethroned since 1445 and 1500s

Yet some idiots from Yoruba land believes n claims Ignos have no ruler or king, they say igbos don't have respect yet their kings have been dethroned for illicit behaviours n norms while d igbos remain strong. They should keep looking at d fly in Igbo man's eye while neglecting the log of wood in their own eyes....

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by falopey: 11:24am On Mar 11, 2020
crackkhaus:

Don't tell me about Google.

To dethrone someone means you take his crown, he ceases to be king even in death, and place it on another person.

In Benin Kingdom, only death takes the crown.

Oba Eweka II was the first son of Oba Ovoranmen, he was crowned king after the death of his father in Calabar.

Mind you, Ovoranmen's body was returned to Benin and given a King's burial according to Benin customs.
His resting place is on the grounds of the Palace, only Obas are buried there.

Now you are the one who should go on Google to confirm everything I have written.

Na you go teach us English? Like what the other poster said. Dethrone is not Benin word. It’s English. It simply means to make a person cease to be king whether he uses crown or not. Not every king wears a crown. So forget that your Benin version of dethrone. The British that removed him said they dethroned him. English is not a Benin language

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by kunkelhanspeter(m): 11:25am On Mar 11, 2020
The Igbos respect their kings that why they don’t misbehave .

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by GGirll: 11:26am On Mar 11, 2020
Igbo =1
Yoruba n Hausa =0

2 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Risentouch(m): 11:29am On Mar 11, 2020
Abeg how long will sanusi banishment last or is it forever?
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by lalaosa(m): 11:29am On Mar 11, 2020
Please all those saying the Oba of Benin was dethroned don't really know the history, or maybe you just say this to prove a point that no king is above the law. Yes very true. But the fact is the Oba of Benin was never dethroned like others. He was stylishly removed from the throne and taken to exile. This was done because the white guys knew that the only way to access the kingdom was to deceit the king. Which they still do today in many parts of Nigeria.
The Oba of Benin can surely be dethroned by this. Present Government but trust me it's not going to be funny because body bags will follow . Only those that are real Edo will understand this outsiders won't... Edo people are simple but no try them with their Oba.

3 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Nobody: 11:31am On Mar 11, 2020
Hoephase:

I read all your argument with the other dude. Igbo generally do not have kings so to speak. Picking Obi of Onitsha and Eze Nri two just from all the groups that make up the entire Igbo nation is an indication that Kingship is not an Igbo thing.

If I may ask you can you tell me the reach of Obi of Onitsha?

Under which kingdom is the present day Nsukka or Nkanu or Umuahia people are in?

You will start calling the names of the their new Igwe which like the other guy pointed out earlier on, were a function of British indirect rule. The kingship of Obi of Onitsha mirrors that of Oba of Benin which in terms of distance are not really far from each other. In typical interior of Igbo land before now they have ozo whom formed the committee of ndi iche which is not a title bestow on anyone based on birth or hereditary but on achievements like being the best hunter, distinguished farmer etc.
U guys are very irritating.
Nigeria became a British colony 1901.
Obi of onitsha was dated as far back as 1665.

I will not reply any of u guys again.

U guys are vile.
It is shocking to know that common obi of onitsha has been in existence centuries ago.

I'm sure non of u expected it.
If u schooled in igboland which I did and studied igbo, u will know that red cap chiefs are crowned by the king only!
Also, they have been existing in igboland ages ago.
They are under the leadership of the king!

U don't school me on my tradition, I will teach u if u want to learn.
Did u see me talk about oba or emir?

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by kunkelhanspeter(m): 11:32am On Mar 11, 2020
ednut1:
monarchy should be scrapped in Nigeria. utterly pointless and feeding in public purse
How about the queen of England?
Remember before the wicked British came to Nigeria we have our own way of ruling in peace and harmony
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by crackkhaus: 11:33am On Mar 11, 2020
falopey:

Na you go teach us English? Like what the other poster said. Dethrone is not Benin word. It’s English. It simply means to make a person cease to be king whether he uses crown or not. Not every king wears a crown. So forget that your Benin version of dethrone. The British that removed him said they dethroned him. English is not a Benin language
Just like the slave who you're defending, you're another victim of the colonial slave invasion which has messed up your mindset.

What is your business with the British meaning of the word or a British version of Nigerian history?
Are you British or Nigerian?

What on earth makes you think a foreign people can dethrone a king who is not under their authority?
Only the people whom a king serves can dethrone him.

The British came to play politics with the monarchy. Removed someone who resisted their influence and replaced him with the Iyase (Obaseki) who could be their puppet.

Unfortunately, you don't mix politics with tradition...which is why the history books of the great Benin Kingdom does not list Obaseki as an Oba, but instead names Eweka II as the direct crowned successor to Oba Ovoranmen.

What the British slave masters do, their English and its interpretation, is of no business to the Benin people, and as well should not be of any business to Nigerians in general.

Don't be a slave.
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by gozie112(m): 11:34am On Mar 11, 2020
sassysure:

Who told u that?
From lagos ibadan papers or from your grand fathers?

A big misconception that people who hardly go home cling to.

Go and know where u came from.
Lagos is not your home grin
dont mind them grin,in my village in oguta local govtcin imo state we have kings,just that we no Dey carry them for head

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by falopey: 11:34am On Mar 11, 2020
lalaosa:
Please all those saying the Oba of Benin was dethroned don't really know the history, or maybe you just say this to prove a point that no king is above the law. Yes very true. But the fact is the Oba of Benin was never dethroned like others. He was stylishly removed from the throne and taken to exile. This was done because the white guys knew that the only way to access the kingdom was to deceit the king. Which they still do today in many parts of Nigeria.
The Oba of Benin can surely be dethroned by this. Present Government but trust me it's not going to be funny because body bags will follow . Only those that are real Edo will understand this outsiders won't... Edo people are simple but no try them with their Oba.
Did he continue to rule and be Oba administering his Obaship duties when he was stylishly according to you removed? If no. Then the term for that is clear. He was dethroned!

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by kunkelhanspeter(m): 11:35am On Mar 11, 2020
lalaosa:

Edo people respect the oba more than anything on earth
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by crackkhaus: 11:36am On Mar 11, 2020
6digitscomrade:
my brother domo ooo oba gha to kpe iseeee!!! Don’t quote societal misfits because lack of the will to self improve only amounts to public ridicule.. one begins to wonder which is more important Twitter or knowledge? Reading or committing e-nuisance
Bro, domo..

Nothing I hate more than seeing Nigerians defending the British version of history even more than their own compatriots.
Such slaves...

Oba gha to kpe ee.. Ise
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by ednut1(m): 11:37am On Mar 11, 2020
kunkelhanspeter:

How about the queen of England?
Remember before the wicked British came to Nigeria we have our own way of ruling in peace and harmony
there is only one monarch in uk and its constitutional. The ones here are not. The british conquered us and should have scrapped the monarchy. But left them as puppets

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Nobody: 11:38am On Mar 11, 2020
gozie112:
dont mind them grin,in my village in oguta local govtcin imo state we have kings,just that we no Dey carry them for head
This is not even the problem.
They all assumed after going through google that the British created the igbo kings.
Can u imagine that.
I have told them to research on the most populous igbo king which is obi of onitsha.

2 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Nobody: 11:42am On Mar 11, 2020
crackkhaus:

Just like the slave who you're defending, you're another victim of the colonial slave invasion which has messed up your mindset.

What is your business with the British meaning of the word?
Are you British or Nigerian?

What on earth makes you think a foreign people can dethrone a king who is not under their authority?
Only the people whom a king serves can dethrone him.

The British came to play politics with the monarchy. Removed someone who resisted their influence and replaced him with the Iyase (Obaseki) who could be their puppet.

Unfortunately, you don't mix politics with tradition...which is why the history books of the great Benin Kingdom does not list Obaseki as an Oba, but instead names Eweka II as the direct crowned successor to Oba Ovoranmen.

What the British slave masters do, their English and its interpretation, is of no business to the Benin people, and as well should not be of any business to Nigerians in general.

Don't be a slave.
shocked shocked
Are u from Edo?

These people are delusional honestly.

Thanks to Google.
Everybody is now a pro in some cultures they no nothing about.

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by thundafire: 11:43am On Mar 11, 2020
DeRay98:

Go and try it and wait to see if Benin wil contain you or that person...
The British only succeeded in war of military superiority that was never contested...
The last military guvnor who tried to undermined Oba of Benin was Onyearegbulem and he suffered the consequences of his arrogance....
it seems u are still living in stone age when even the parliament in UK wanted abolishing the monarchy without anything happening u are here ranting

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by thundafire: 11:45am On Mar 11, 2020
Trimque2k1:
When you think you know it all...so when you dethrone the Oba of benin, who are you going to install there?? Because it's only his son nd first son only that can take that position after his father's death. So please stop this ur dreams. We all read history and saw what transpired that lead to the illegal arrest of the then Oba and not till after his death there was not any Oba in benin kingdom...na God of benin kingdom go punished that Obaseki family wey bring all this history so
u seem not to understand my point in the constitution all Paramount leaders are directly under the state government it can be abolish and y Oba own is different is because he completely stays away from politics unlike his long throat counter parts

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Nobody: 11:46am On Mar 11, 2020
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://wikiwand.com/en/Obi_of_Onitsha&ved=2ahUKEwjFj_ennpLoAhXfRBUIHQK9ADwQFjAnegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw1a1MKHKocI05FolwqwzNu9&cshid=1583923478647

For those that said obi of onitsha is a British creation.

Since Mohammed can't go to the mountain, let mountain go to mohammed grin
I hope this settles it.

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by deluckiest(m): 11:47am On Mar 11, 2020
Saopedro:
The dethronement of Muhammadu Sanusi as the emir of Kano has continued to generate reactions; some say it is expected going by recent happenings but others are still in shock. There are also those who claimed a revered traditional ruler like the emir of Kano has never been treated in such manner. Some even said such cannot happen in certain parts of the country.

But the dethronement of emirs — or those in similar positions of authority — is not an entirely new thing in Nigeria; one of such events played more than 100 years ago when the oba of Benin was deposed and sent on exile.

Here are seven influential traditional rulers who have experienced such.

OLUWADARE ADESINA, DEJI OF AKURE

Who remembers Oluwadare Adesina, the former deji of Akure, who fought with his wife in public? He was dethroned after the public brawl with Bolanle, his wife, an act that was widely described as a public show of shame. The Ondo state government deposed Adesina in 2009, after invoking sections 17(1) and (2) of the state’s chiefs law, accusing him of conducting himself in the “most dishonorable, condemnable and disgraceful manner.”

The dethroned king was also banished from Akure for six months. The council of kingmakers had called for his deposition, while his estranged wife, now late, sued him for battery.

OVONRAMWEN NOGBAISI, OBA OF BENIN

Apart from not being in good terms with then British government, part of the cause of the dethronement of Ovonramwen Nogbaisi as oba and his subsequent exile in 1897 was the murder of James Philips, then acting consul-general, during a visit to the Benin kingdom.

The oba was captured by the British authorities and tried in accordance with the British law; he was subsequently found guilty before being deposed. He was said to have angered the British government through various actions such as forbidding his people from trading with the British and barring the white men from entering Benin after he discovered a treaty signed with the government was a “tactic to annex Benin into the British Empire.”

Another of his actions that did not go down well with the authorities was the stoppage of palm oil supply to Itsekiri middle men in 1896. He reportedly took the action because they refused to pay their tribute to the oba, a move seen as puncturing the business of the British merchants in the region.
The OP should be reminded that the dethronement and subsequent sending to exile monarchs is not part of our constitution and those still practicing it such as Ganduje is doing it with outright disregard to the constition and therefore, should not be celebrated and salivated on as some of you are doing. At the bolded, it may interest the OP that the event were the Oba of Benin was sent on exile took place around 100 years ago and the British army were able to defeat the Benin warriors because of their superior military fire power. The Oba of Benin was the only king in Nigeria who stood against and fought the colonial powers who came not with genuine intention to trade but to steal from the Benin kingdom abundant wealth. The people of Itsekiri and others were under Benin empire and so the Oba 'subjects'. Your so caller dethronement of the Oba Ovorawmen N'Ogb'aise was the first and last to be carried out and I'm yet to see any governor that would attempt it. Chief Igbedion the Esama of Benin who attempted to create a parallel kingdom in the past failed and when he realises his richies and fame would only betray him and set him against the people, he made a retreat and ask the Oba of Benin for forgiveness

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Hoephase: 11:57am On Mar 11, 2020
sassysure:

U guys are very irritating.
Nigeria became a British colony 1901.
Obi of onitsha was dated as far back as 1665.

I will not reply any of u guys again.

U guys are vile.
It is shocking to know that common obi of onitsha has been in existence centuries ago.

I'm sure non of u expected it.
If u schooled in igboland which I did and studied igbo, u will know that red cap chiefs are crowned by the king only!
Also, they have been existing in igboland ages ago.
They are under the leadership of the king!

U don't school me on my tradition, I will teach u if u want to learn.
Did u see me talk about oba or emir?

How does any of my statements lead to you calling Igbo vile? Name calling does not win an argument. You may like playing in the mud but what you failed to understand is that there are people that would actually descent to your level.

Today is your "lucky" day my python script will take hours to run an mcmc simulation of 100mila. So I have your time.

My question to you remain can you tell us the reach of Obi of Onitsha before the arrival of the British?

Does the Eze Nri kingdom include all the present day Igbo land running from Nsukka to Eza in Ebonyi?

If not, please which kingdom was in charge of the places in Igbo speaking community that were outside the reach of Obi of Onitsha and Eze Nri?

If the only answer you have starts with calling your father and generation unborn vile do not bother to respond. Because guy I no get patient for your irresponsible upbringing this morning. I will insult you and give you some to take home to your parents if you dare insult me again.

You study Igbo tradition my left nyash. Show me any Igbo history that was written before colonial time and we will start talking instead of parroting tradition as seen by the white man.
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by OgbanjeProphet: 11:58am On Mar 11, 2020
Runtown07:
do u smoke paper.
I smoke your senses!

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Nobody: 11:59am On Mar 11, 2020
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://feathersproject./tag/obi-of-onitsha/&ved=2ahUKEwjC_pedoZLoAhX8QRUIHWXTCVYQFjAWegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw1bfW21FGGHUnVfdOAhZzT1&cshid=1583924161906

U can read further.

This dynasty has been in existence for more than 400yrs!

I'm sure awka, some dynasties in imo, abia, Enugu and eboni are as old as that of onitsha.

Because they hardly make noise, they are now British creation.

Mtcheew.

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by joefelin2345: 12:04pm On Mar 11, 2020
IWTBAB:
he's among them, and

Now, take ur reply 4rm ur Big Uncle below..
Let's wait for the current probe of 2.5 billion levelled against him. What about billions being siphoned now in the name of paying fuel subsidy?
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Gbenga764: 12:06pm On Mar 11, 2020
see below
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by PrinceMajestic: 12:07pm On Mar 11, 2020
Urhobo monarchs were never dethroned in history except a rebellion against them from their subjects and external forces
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Hoephase: 12:08pm On Mar 11, 2020
sassysure:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://feathersproject./tag/obi-of-onitsha/&ved=2ahUKEwjC_pedoZLoAhX8QRUIHWXTCVYQFjAWegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw1bfW21FGGHUnVfdOAhZzT1&cshid=1583924161906

U can read further.

This dynasty has been in existence for more than 400yrs!

I'm sure awka, some dynasties in imo, abia, Enugu and eboni are as old as that of onitsha.

Because they hardly make noise, they are now British creation.

Mtcheew.

I am from Umuahia grew up in Enugu. I know my tradition and history and that of the people I am talking about. You tell me where you from? Let me be sure I am not even arguing with a non Igbo troll
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by deluckiest(m): 12:09pm On Mar 11, 2020
baralatie:

oba of Benin was dethroned, banished the palace cleared and burned and was replaced with Obaseki.
Oba Ovorawmen was never replaced by Obaseki, rather he was used to collect taxes to the british government. The people of Benin never recognized him as Oba. The throne was left vacant until the death of Oba Ovorawmen where he exiled in Calabar, his son Oba Eweka assumed the throne to continue from where his father left off
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Hoephase: 12:11pm On Mar 11, 2020
gozie112:

You have king that started when? Ask your aged parents who was your king before the advent of colonialism and what was the type of rulership in place before now?

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Nobody: 12:12pm On Mar 11, 2020
saharareporters.com › 2018/03/04
How True Is The Saying That The Igbo Have No King? By Fredrick Nwabufo | Sahara Reporters

A true son of the soil knows what igbo people don't have kings means.

I hope this explains it to some fake igbos and non igbos that think igbos don't have kings and even if they do, it's British creation of last century.

I didn't capture this well.
Look it up and read.
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by oyatz(m): 12:14pm On Mar 11, 2020
The monarchial system is not firmly rooted in Igboland.

Igbos don't have kings that are widely respected with authority beyond their immediate environment like the Oba of Bini, Emir of Kano or the Alaafin of Oyo.

Most Igbo kings are modern day kings with no royal dysnasties. Some were descendants of warrants chiefs appointed by the British Colonial Masters.

Unbiased1:
Non from Igbo land cheesy
The Obi of Onitsha and those of Nnewi communities must be very disciplined people not to have been dethroned since 1445 and 1500s

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Dino Melaye On INEC Server: When they claim they don't have a server show them / Senate President Akpabio, Wife And Son Visit President Tinubu / Obasanjo Rocks Stylish Native Wear Like A Teenage Star

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.