Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,262 members, 7,846,226 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 12:24 PM

Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. (81839 Views)

Sanusi's Grandfather, Muhammadu Sanusi Was Dethroned By Ahmadu Bello / Sanusi Lamido: Suspended By President, Dethroned By Governor: Turbulent Journey / Sanusi Dethroned By Kano State Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by AreaFada2: 1:13pm On Mar 11, 2020
Kendroid:

I concur with your write-up. Even though it is very far from the discussion at hand.
Your kingship is hereditary, that's understandable! But it does not necessarily mean that a king who occupies the throne at a particular time cannot be dethroned, It is very possible. What I understand is not possible is installing another king when the ruling king is still alive. Hence, there can't be 2 kings in the kingdom even if the ruling king is exiled.
I see Nairaland as a means to educate and be educated. That's why I go beyond giving a simple reply. I answer questions before people even ask.
There are many silent readers here. Some are highly educated. Even researchers who sometimes contact me.
Yes any king can be dethroned.

Point is that since the king was not appointed by any govt in the first place, dethronement in practice does not exist in Benin in practice. Presentation of staff of office is a mere formality to the Benins, though in accounting with existing secular laws.

Sure, in the distant past there has been dethronement carried out by the nobles when the king became tyrannical. Even regicide.

3 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:14pm On Mar 11, 2020
kiss grin

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by crackkhaus: 1:26pm On Mar 11, 2020
sassysure:

Yep.

I am shy grin

Ur bros locks it for me.
Was looking for a way to cut it. Prefer low cut and he swore to buy me private jet if I don't cut it and till today, private jet I no see cheesy
He just scammed me cheesy

My friend from Trinidad and Tobago told me last week she has started locking her hair.
I said ok,.let me see it.
The way I laughed, people will be thinking all these black monkeys again cheesy

This lady just twisted her hair and called it locking cheesy

She is so crazy about anything Africa, Nigeria.
Just told her recently to start watching nollywood.
Next thing is I should teach her how to tie wrapper and gele. She already bought one.
Shuuu
I'm gonna start avoiding her.
See the book she gave me to study.
That her family are from.the lineage of witches and they have been traced to Yoruba.
She has tones of book on this and came from very wealthy and influential family there.

Why do you want to avoid her na, teach her what you know about Nigerian culture jor.
It makes me proud anytime I see foreigners with such interest in our cultural way of life. cool

As for your shyness, please don't tell me that.. Since when? cheesy
I'm serious though, I really would love to see...not here though, privately.
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Hoephase: 1:28pm On Mar 11, 2020
sassysure:

For the sake of clarity, I will explain this a bit.

In igboland especially anambra which I came from, we have nze na òzò.
Now, nollywood has merged them together.

Nze and òzò are different traditional titles we have in anambra state.
We have ichie.
Ichie and nze and òzò are the three prominent igbo titles we have in anambra for men

The nze and ichie run the ùmùnna. They are otherwise called the elders of the land.
The nze wear red cap.
The oźò is dinstint from these two cos it's political.
The oźò members are answerable to the igwe of that town.
Oźò title is usually done in the night to the celebration dsy by the igwe of the town exclusively and his cabinet and other òzò members
Whatever traditional rites needed are done by the igwe and his council alone and yeah, it takes a lot to be one.

And for u to aspire to be a young òzò man, your dad must be crowned before u.

That is why whenever u see the chief, u see òzò people around him chiefs have cabinet members and they are all òzò title red cap holders.

Do i still look like i do not know what im talkig about?

Infact, when a prominent òzò member enters another town on official visit like traditional marriage, they usually pay homage to the igwe.

I was surprised to see FFK doing that.
He was told of the tradition and he honoured it.

In anambra we have ùmùnna which are ruled by elders of different villages. Now each ùmùnna has head.
All the heads from each village of the town are answerable to the chief. A town has a chief which comprises of villages that has ùmùnna ruled by the elders of India ichie and nze. Among them, we have the òźò people. They are not as big as the nze elders and ndì ichie.
That u don't see the chief everywhere don't mean they are not there.

A good example is the national assembly and presidency.
That is how they are ran.
I hope I tried explaining this.

It may be different in other igbo states as some of them has autonomous community kind of setting which is different from how it is in anambra.

This is excellent this is how to respond or address issues and ending it with a caveat that things that are applicable in one place may not be the same on most places (not the name calling "irritating" and "vile" you used when addressing my initial points).

My code still dey run ooh. I get plenty time today. grin

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Dollabiz: 1:31pm On Mar 11, 2020
smiley
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Goldmhide: 1:33pm On Mar 11, 2020
I think oluwo of Iwo will be the nxt to dethrone he too dey do pass himself

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by AmuDimpka: 1:33pm On Mar 11, 2020
Igbo respect their king

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by lakeside30: 1:35pm On Mar 11, 2020
what of Oba Lala ,Alafonja of Afonja land

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Pasprof27(m): 1:39pm On Mar 11, 2020
This dethronement power should also be given to the king's too. I believe they would have removed the decoy in aso rock.

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by oyatz(m): 1:48pm On Mar 11, 2020
The British has no business being in Nigeria in the first instance let alone scrap our monarchy. It's parts of our tradition and History.

ednut1:
there is only one monarch in uk and its constitutional. The ones here are not. The british conquered us and should have scrapped the monarchy. But left them as puppets
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Kendroid: 1:50pm On Mar 11, 2020
AreaFada2:

I see Nairaland as a means to educate and be educated. That's why I go beyond giving a simple reply. I answer questions before people even ask.
There are many silent readers here. Some are highly educated. Even researchers who sometimes contact me.
Yes any king can be dethroned.

Point is that since the king was not appointed by any govt in the first place, dethronement in practice does not exist in Benin in practice. Presentation of staff of office is a mere formality to the Benins, though in accounting with existing secular laws.

Sure, in the distant past there has been dethronement carried out by the nobles when the king became tyrannical. Even regicide.
So?
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by ednut1(m): 1:52pm On Mar 11, 2020
oyatz:
The British has no business being in Nigeria in the first instance let alone scrap our monarchy. It's parts of our tradition and History.

tell the native indians and aborigines in America and australia whites have no business ruling them

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Dartilo(m): 1:54pm On Mar 11, 2020
Pls change the title of the thread to OBA of Benin..

Funny tin dat pple comparing Benin vs British war wit current day politics, if so do u knw how many deji of akure dat was beheaded and dethroned by the Benin...
Google it and u wil c dat there was a time dat d oba of benin order d oba of Lagos to commit suicide and he did, so u can add dis as well or probably create a thread of indigenous king dethroning indegwnous king so we can recall history...

Nobody can replace Oba of Benin,an oba is born as an oba and not as a commoner...

2 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by oyatz(m): 1:57pm On Mar 11, 2020
Some parts of Igboland that were under the influence of Bini Empire had titular monarchy fashioned after the Bini Monarchy long before the Advent of British rule.

However monarchial rule wasn't the widespread practice in Alaigbo before 1900.

sassysure:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://wikiwand.com/en/Obi_of_Onitsha&ved=2ahUKEwjFj_ennpLoAhXfRBUIHQK9ADwQFjAnegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw1a1MKHKocI05FolwqwzNu9&cshid=1583923478647

For those that said obi of onitsha is a British creation.

Since Mohammed can't go to the mountain, let mountain go to mohammed grin
I hope this settles it.
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Ohaozara: 2:03pm On Mar 11, 2020
My friend keep quiet if you don't know what to comment. You're just shamelessly deviating from the topic as a result of your ignorance. If you don't have King in your community, I have in mine
Kendroid:

Nnamdi Kanu's father is my village king. Lemme remind u that his kingship until his death was between him and his family.
God himself naturally created Igbos not to be controlled which is easily the reason why we excel all over the world, including in crime!

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by DeWisedon(m): 2:11pm On Mar 11, 2020
It can only happen in the north and south, NO ONE DARES TOUCH OBI OF ONITSHA,

AMADIOHA WILL STRIKE THAT PERSON DEA D BEFORE SUNRISE

2 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Nobody: 2:12pm On Mar 11, 2020
kiss
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by baralatie(m): 2:20pm On Mar 11, 2020
Agbons1991:

You have read the wrong history
ooooookaaaayyyyy!
i heard that according to Benin boys history book of. records that Oba of Benin gathered 500000 Benin elite warriors and flew to England and massacred the royal army,royal air force and their royal navy.In short the Oba march into the Buckingham palace and gave them stern warning that if they try him again."nobody go wake for here " according to reports.
As a result The whole england now begged the Oba to go and enjoy enough flexing in calabar all expenses paid.
I beg I correct with the narrative.

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Dartilo(m): 2:25pm On Mar 11, 2020
baralatie:

ooooookaaaayyyyy!
i heard that according to Benin boys history book of. records that Oba of Benin gathered 500000 Benin elite warriors and flew to England and massacred the royal army,royal air force and their royal navy.In short the Oba march into the Buckingham palace and gave them stern warning that if they try him again."nobody go wake for here " according to reports.
As a result The whole england now begged the Oba to go and enjoy enough flexing in calabar all expenses paid.
I beg I correct with the narrative.

Tell us wic of the kings from the west try to show any attempt of resistance against the brits rather Dan thinking of going to war wit dem... It's normal in war for a king to b remove after defeat but it is not compulsory for his son to continue the reign, but dat happen in Benin and mind u d pple Sti regarded him as King until he died

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Kendroid: 2:27pm On Mar 11, 2020
Ohaozara:
My friend keep quiet if you don't know what to comment. You're just shamelessly deviating from the topic as a result of your ignorance. If you don't have King in your community, I have in mine
What else will I expect from a bushman from Ohaozara
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by baralatie(m): 2:30pm On Mar 11, 2020
Dartilo:

Tell us wic of the kings from the west try to show any attempt of resistance against the brits rather Dan thinking of going to war wit dem... It's normal in war for a king to b remove after defeat but it is not compulsory for his son to continue the reign, but dat happen in Benin and mind u d pple Sti regarded him as King until he died
in the west countless!
Lagos has its share twice under the British navy
Oyo was literarily obliterated and both went to war with the British and failed. then there was Baja of opobo.and countless confrontations in the East of the Niger.
I would tell the one that happened in Lagos just hold you fingers
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Auxtin85(m): 2:33pm On Mar 11, 2020
Xisnin:

Wrong.
He is still around with a new moniker and a female "f" tag.
If you have been paying attention, you would have noticed the new account.

I was gonna guess that, I knew the heat was becoming unbearable for him

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Dartilo(m): 2:46pm On Mar 11, 2020
baralatie:

in the west countless!
Lagos has its share twice under the British navy
Oyo was literarily obliterated and both went to war with the British and failed. then there was Baja of opobo.and countless confrontations in the East of the Niger.
I would tell the one that happened in Lagos just hold you fingers

The one dat happen in Lagos was backed by the Oba of Benin against the brits remember
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by akimoriyomi(m): 2:53pm On Mar 11, 2020
Mysticwebb:
And Obi of Onitsha is not there, meaning their king the Obi of Onitsha has never been dethroned since it began in mid 16th century.
I think the present king Nnaemeka is the 21st King of that kingdom.
maybe because the Obi's were coward because most Kings were dethroned because of their bravery. Get that
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by crackkhaus: 3:03pm On Mar 11, 2020
cool
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by joepepsy(m): 3:04pm On Mar 11, 2020
You didn't read just jump into conclusion.
baralatie:
You left out Oba Of Benin by the British

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Charmerbeautylooks(f): 3:05pm On Mar 11, 2020
Obi enwezor was detroned..
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by abumeinben(m): 3:24pm On Mar 11, 2020
blasted12:
The only untouchable person in this country is the president himself when he's in office. The Oba is not untouchable, he can be removed anytime and nothing will happen

By your argument, the president is not untouchable. He can be dethroned. That's called impeachment.

3 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Daum: 3:39pm On Mar 11, 2020
falopey:
The military administrator was just unfortunate thinking everything is just by gun. If it was a Yoruba military administrator or the like of Awolowo that dethroned Oba of Benin. Trust me. Nothing would have happened. It would all be voodoo vs voodoo.
Awolowo would dethrone Oba of Benin and nothing would happen

Why did he not do it to Akenzua when he broke the Midwest region from the western region. Oba Akenzua was playing politics against the AG then. Go and read about it.
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Nobody: 3:40pm On Mar 11, 2020
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Mysticwebb: 3:41pm On Mar 11, 2020
akimoriyomi:
maybe because the Obi's were coward because most Kings were dethroned because of their bravery. Get that
What bravery are you talking about?
So tomorrow now, you will start saying Sanusi got dethroned because of his bravery.

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by cyrilamx(m): 3:50pm On Mar 11, 2020
Sleevia:
Which Nigerian GOVERNMENT has removed Oba of Benin apart from the British? I even learned the very guy that exiled the Oba of Benin committed Suicide as he became restless...
Yes Consul General Ralph Moor of Britain who deposed Ovonramwen died b4 the exiled Oba on 14th November 1909 of suicide induced depression. He was not alone. Nearly all the major actors who carried our the desecration of Benin all faced the consequences. That of Navy Capt Anthony Onyeregbulem which unfortunately many indomie generation are ignorant of is warning to any would be crazy governor.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Dino Melaye On INEC Server: When they claim they don't have a server show them / Senate President Akpabio, Wife And Son Visit President Tinubu / Obasanjo Rocks Stylish Native Wear Like A Teenage Star

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.