Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,069 members, 7,849,332 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 06:44 PM

Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. (81870 Views)

Sanusi's Grandfather, Muhammadu Sanusi Was Dethroned By Ahmadu Bello / Sanusi Lamido: Suspended By President, Dethroned By Governor: Turbulent Journey / Sanusi Dethroned By Kano State Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by crackkhaus: 12:18pm On Mar 11, 2020
sassysure:

shocked shocked
Are u from Edo?

These people are delusional honestly.

Thanks to Google.
Everybody is now a pro in some cultures they no nothing about.
We are a very proud people... grin

Always resisting white colonialism.

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by gozie112(m): 12:18pm On Mar 11, 2020
Hoephase:

You have king that started when? Ask your aged parents who was your king before the advent of colonialism and what was the type of rulership in place before now?
ok I will
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by TGMISKY(m): 12:19pm On Mar 11, 2020
So even the Oba of Benin can be dethroned. Truly, no king in Nigeria is untouchable

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Nobody: 12:22pm On Mar 11, 2020
Hoephase:

I am from Umuahia grew up in Enugu. I know my tradition and history and that of the people I am talking about. You tell me where you from? Let me be sure I am not even arguing with a non Igbo troll

I will love to be a troll honestly.
It's even better.

Meanwhile, I know ubakala in umuahia and have tasted their achal(r)a soup with bush meat.

I will love to learn how to prepare that.

If u know my moniker, u will know my tribe.
It's never hidden.
Have a great day.
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by CSTR2: 12:23pm On Mar 11, 2020
Jonathan:

That one na king?

The position that is very useless and irrelevant.

No respect for kings in the Yeest
And yet he has never been dethroned since the time of his ancestors.

You that respect your Kings are busy dethroning them anyhow.

Nice logic you have there.

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Hoephase: 12:25pm On Mar 11, 2020
sassysure:
saharareporters.com › 2018/03/04
How True Is The Saying That The Igbo Have No King? By Fredrick Nwabufo | Sahara Reporters

A true son of the soil knows what igbo people don't have kings means.

I hope this explains it to some fake igbos and non igbos that think igbos don't have kings and even if they do, it's British creation of last century.

I didn't capture this well.
Look it up and read.

I pity you. That Nigeria has a "democratic elected president" does not make it a democractic country in the real sense of democracy.

Please go and bring any book and article or writings that fulfilled the following criteria :

Writen before the colonial time and involve history of at least half of the groups that made up present igbo communities.

You people will pick out the Obi of Onitsha and Eze Nri and use it to make inference about the whole Igbo communities without any idea how those people operated before now.

Simple task. Give us any academic material on pre colonial rulership in any community from present day Nsukka, one from present day Nkanu, Afikpo, Udi etc. Then we can discuss what the duties of the people you call Kings are those days when place side by side with that of Obi of Onitsha etc.

Oga you are yet to tell us where you are from?

Google won't help you with this matter.

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by oyatz(m): 12:26pm On Mar 11, 2020
Prominent Igbo authors like Chinua Achebe (Things Fall apart, There was a country etc), Odumegwu-Ojukwu (Because I am involved) etc have written about traditional authorities in Igboland.

Most Igbo communities are independent of each other are ruled traditionally by a committee of elders. The eldest preside over the meetings.

However, there is no community owned palaces, permanent leader or royal families. The 'chairman' of the elders' council is NOT a king.

sassysure:
saharareporters.com › 2018/03/04
How True Is The Saying That The Igbo Have No King? By Fredrick Nwabufo | Sahara Reporters

A true son of the soil knows what igbo people don't have kings means.

I hope this explains it to some fake igbos and non igbos that think igbos don't have kings and even if they do, it's British creation of last century.

I didn't capture this well.
Look it up and read.
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Hoephase: 12:26pm On Mar 11, 2020
sassysure:

I will love to be a troll honestly.
It's even better.

Meanwhile, I know ubakala in umuahia and have tasted their achal(r)a soup with bush meat.

I will love to learn how to prepare that.

If u know my moniker, u will know my tribe.
It's never hidden.
Have a great day.

You should be proud of your heritage spill it.
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by BRIGHTSOLAR(m): 12:31pm On Mar 11, 2020
Awujale Adetona was deposed by Chief Bisi Onabanjo, he was only reinstated by the Court on the 4th of May, 1984 and also courtesy of Gen. Oladipo Diya whose government refused to appeal the judgement:

O N I G E G E W U R A
"History Is Not Was, It Is"

The Inside Story of Oba Sikiru Adetona’s Deposition as Awujale - His Imperial Majesty versus His Excellency

A dashing young king, the paramount ruler of his land. A beautiful young lady, daughter of the premier. A prolific parrot who became a governor. A storyline from a Kunle Afolayan movie? Nah!!!

That’s the cast of a drama that was more dramatic than any Nollywood film. The cast of a historical battle, an epic battle between tradition and constitution, between royalty and power, and between royal court and the court of law.

The news hit Ijebuland like a thunderbolt. In the twinkle of an eye, it had reverberated across the length and breadth of the nation. That was decades before twitter, instagram and Facebook. That however did not stop the news from spreading like harmattan fire.

His Excellency, Governor Victor Olabisi Onabanjo, the Governor of Ogun State had removed His Imperial Majesty, Oba Sikiru Adetona as Awujale of Ijebuland! It was unheard of! An Ijebu son, an Awujale subject removing his own king! Could Ayekooto remove the Crown?

Ayekooto (Parrot) was the pen name of Chief Olabisi Onabanjo. He was a London-trained journalist, publisher, parliamentarian, and statesman. As Ayeekoto, he wrote more than 476 published articles.

Could it be true? People wondered. Those who knew the close relationship between His Majesty and His Excellency doubted the veracity of the news. Years before Onabanjo became the Governor of Ogun State, he had fallen ill and needed to travel abroad for medical check up. It was Awujale that secured the flat of Afolabi Kuku for Ayekooto’s use whilst in the United Kingdom. Oba Adetona also arranged for his brother’s wife who lived in the same building to prepare his meals.

So what went wrong? What you are about to read is the intriguing saga of the deposition of a Monarch. It didn’t start in the Second Republic however. It however didn’t start in the Second Republic. Let’s travel back in time. Let’s go back to the First Republic.

The young Sikiru Adetona became the Awujale on April 3, 1960. That was in the tempestuous days of the First Republic. It was the period when Western Region was polarized sharply along political line. The Awujale was a young man, suave, urbane, cosmopolitan and handsome.

The premier, Sir Ladoke Akintola, the Are-Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland had a beautiful daughter. Modele Akintola was beautiful, graceful, brainy and ebullient – a chip off the old block. Modele was very close to the Awujale. It was not hidden that His Majesty had a personal relationship with Ms. Omodele! According to Oba Adetona: “Many in the Awolowo camp were uncomfortable about this relationship!” Olabisi Onabanjo was in the Awolowo Camp. Count One!

If anything, Awujale was and is still passionate about the issues affecting Ijebuland and Ijebu sons (and of course, Ijebu daughters) When the premier awarded an Ijebu son a contract for importation of pipes, the entire Ijebuland was excited. Then news filtered out that Awolowo had asked Akintola to cancel the contract. This was not done. The Ijebu son, Chief Okunowo, was incensed.

For purpose of fair hearing, let me tell you Chief Awolowo’s account of the contract saga. Before Awolowo relinquished office in the Western Region, the government had approved the purchase of a large quantity of asbestos pipes for water supply. The government had to decide whether to import the pipes or to manufacture them locally. Awolowo preferred the local option, as it would contribute to local technology, provide employment and would have fewer cracks. It was on this basis that Awolowo advised the premier to consider the local option.

People took sides. Some supported Awolowo. Others supported Chief Okunowo. Awujale stood in support of his Chief. Count Two!

Following his release from prison by Yakubu Gowon, Awolowo was appointed the Minister of Finance. One of the agencies under his superintendence was the Customs and Excise Department.

It was around this time that another Ijebu son was planning to open a bicycle and inner tubes factory in Ijebu-Ode. Out of the blues, the Government imposed an additional excise duty on tyres and inner tube parts. The Ijebu business was no longer competitive. It could not compete with giants like Dunlop and Michelin. Rightly or wrongly, it was concluded that Awolowo was to blame!

Count Three!

Iyan ogun odun, a ma jo ni lowo is a Yoruba proverb. Pounded yam of two decades might not be cold. That was what Awujale discovered in the Second Republic. The yam pounded years earlier was still oven fresh when Ayekooto emerged as the Governor of Ogun State.

The first salvo was fired when it was time to constitute the National Council of State. Under the 1979 Constitution, a person appointed by a State’s Council of Chiefs “from among themselves” was a member of the Council. Awujale expected the Ogun State Council of Chiefs to nominate one of its members. The Council was therefore surprised when the Governor unilaterally selected a relatively junior Oba to represent Ogun State.

Awujale picked his pen and wrote to the Governor resigning from the activities of the Council. The Governor responded. His Excellency asked His Majesty to withdraw his letter of resignation. His Majesty refused. Clouds began to gather!

One fateful day, the Chief Imam of Ijebu Ode received a special letter. The letter had the Seal of Office of the Governor. His Excellency informed His Eminence, the Imam of his intention to attend Jumat prayers for thanksgiving. The Muslim Community was excited. A response was dispatched to Abeokuta with dispatch assuring His Excellency of a warm welcome.

His Majesty was soon informed of the preparation to receive His Excellency by His Eminence in the mosque. Awujale invited the Chief Imam to the Palace to show him where in the Quran, Christians could come to the mosque for thanksgiving. The Chief Imam must have searched frantically for a relevant verse or an apposite tradition. He found none.

When His Excellency received a second letter from His Eminence. He thought it was to inform him of advanced plans for his reception. It was with shock that Ayekooto read the letter asking him not to come to the mosque. Though the letter was signed by the mosque leadership, Onabanjo clearly saw the invisible signature of Awujale on the document.

The gathering clouds became heavier.

To or not to go! That was the question the wordsmith Governor must have been pondering as he put down the letter. Of course, he decided to go. He informed the Muslim community that he was going to attend the Jumat Service as scheduled.

The Chief Imam was in a quandary. Torn between His Excellency and His Highness, His Eminence looked unto Almighty Allah. On the scheduled Friday, those who had not attended mosques in decades found their way to the Central Mosque. When a siren was heard from a distance, the elders of the mosque looked at the Imam. It was however a police car passing by. His Excellency did not turn up.

The gathering clouds became heavier and darker.

The governor was not Ayekooto for nothing. In addition to being a smart bird, parrot can also be patient. The governor waited. He waited for his chance. After all he was the Executive Governor.

And his chance came! It came by way of an innocuous letter from palace. Like a starved hawk, Ayekooto pounced!

Awujale had written to inform the Governor of his plans to go to the UK for medical attention. The letter contained information about the Oba’s itinerary and contact details. The Governor read the letter. Finally! He responded. He responded by asking for further and better particulars about Kabiyesi’s health and the planned trip to enable him decide whether or not to approve the request.

Request? Awujale picked up his pen and explained that his initial letter was not a request for approval, but information about his journey.

Information? The governor fired another letter. “Your Majesty is hereby requested to comply with His Excellency’s earlier letter.” Oba Adetona filed away the letter and instead of picking his pen, it was his passport that he picked. Off to London!

The gathering clouds became ominous!

The governor was waiting patiently to receive Awujale’s response. He waited and waited. When the news came, it was not the letter he was expecting. Instead the news he got was that the Ogbagba II, Commander of the Federal Republic had left for London.

Onabanjo weighed carefully his options. He was an Ijebu son. He was Awujale’s subject. But he was also the Executive Governor of the State, the first citizen of the State by virtue of office. What was he to do? Should he call the Awujale and order him to return? He picked the phone. He hesitated. No, he won’t call. Instead, he called some prominent Obas in Ogun State.

Awujale had hardly settled down in London when his phone began to ring. ‘Kabiyesi, Gomina n binu o. E ma pada bo o!” It was a First Class Oba calling from Nigeria. The phone rang again, another Kabiyesi, with the same message. Another call. Another call. Another call. Another call. Alake of Egba called. Akarigbo called. The husband of Olori Iyabo Adetona refused. They pleaded with the husband of Olori Kemi Adetona. The Ogbagba II maintained his stand. When it appeared that the phone would not stop ringing, Kabiyesi changed his telephone number.

The Governor was waiting to hear that Awujale had returned to the country. If he heard anything, it was to be informed that Awujale was still in London.

The ominous gathering cloud became a bit too heavy!

On November 23, 1981, the people of Ogun State woke up to receive the first shock! “Oba Sikiru Adetona is hereby suspended from office as the Awujale of Ijebuland in the Ijebu-Ode Local Government area until further notice!”

Suspended ke? Suspension bawo? From Abeokuta to Ota, from Ifo to Ilaro, from Ijebu Ode to Sagamu, from Mowe to Idiroko, the question was the same. Could Awujale be suspended by his ‘son’, the Governor?

The second shock came almost immediately. The Government set up a Commission of Enquiry to probe the affairs of the suspended Oba Sikiru Adetona as the Awujale of Ijebuland. The commission was headed by Hon. Justice S. O. Sogbetun who became a Judge of the State on June 1, 1977.

Awujale picked his phone. He called two leading lawyers of the time; Chief FRA Williams and Omooba Sina Odedina. Timi the Law advised his client not to appear personally before the Commission, as it was not constituted properly. A case was promptly filed challenging the constitutionality of the Sogbetun Commission.

Well, Awujale or no Awujale, case in court or no case in court, Sogbetun Commission sat. Things became tense in Ijebuland whilst the Commission met. At the end of the day, the Commission submitted its report. The Awujale was found guilty.

It was in the evening that the report of the Commission was submitted to the government. Overnight, government read the report, government reviewed the report, government digested the report. All in the course of one night.

By the following morning, having carefully reviewed and painstakingly considered the report, the Government announced the deposition of Oba Sikiru Kayode Adetona, CFR, as the Awujale of Ijebuland.

Ha! From suspension to deposition! But Kabiyesi had a case in court! People speculated. What could have happened? It was one speculation after another.

Off to court again! The now deposed Kabiyei went to court. The case of His Royal Highness Oba S. K. Adetona v. Governor of Ogun State and Others was assigned to Hon. Justice Owolabi Kolawole. You remember him? His Lordship was the trial judge in the case of AYINLA OMOWURA.

On Friday, May 4, 1984, Justice Kolawole delivered his judgment. His Lordship found that there was: “so much indecent haste on the part of Government to depose the plaintiff that it overlooked so many fundamental issues…in its haste to have the plaintiff deposed, it overlooked to give any reason for the plaintiff’s deposition.” His Lordship therefore declared that the decision of His Excellency to depose His Royal Majesty was null and void.

Now something happened while the case was going on. A military coup occurred. His Excellency, Chief Olabisi Onabanjo was removed from office as a result of the coup. It was therefore the lot of the new military governor COL. OLADIPO DIYA to restore Oba Sikiru Adetona to the throne of his fathers. Coincidentally Col Oladipo Diya is another Son of Ijebuland! The saga continues……………

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by BreconHills(m): 12:31pm On Mar 11, 2020
Unbiased1:
Non from Igbo land cheesy
The Obi of Onitsha and those of Nnewi communities must be very disciplined people not to have been dethroned since 1445 and 1500s

Most igbo monarchs are non offensive. Ndigbo is essentially a Republican culture that does not give as much power to monarchs from elsewhere.
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Nobody: 12:32pm On Mar 11, 2020
crackkhaus:

We are a very proud people... grin

Always resisting white colonialism.

Kanwulia brother

No wonder cheesy

Cray Cray is in you guys blood cheesy.

During the time this oba was crowned, one Cray Cray mama( she is even a grandma but can wear bomshot) took me on the step by step procedures of how to crown an oba and what it entails.

This woman is agbero cheesy
If I see her, I will remember mama bakassi.
I do miss her sometimes cos that woman is fire.

My locktician till he travelled out was from Benin too.
The guy just disappeared though he has been hinting he will travel out then.

Refused to tell me what he mixes for my hair even though I promised to pay him.

Well, I have improvised here. Thanks to youtube grin
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Nobody: 12:34pm On Mar 11, 2020
Hoephase:

You should be proud of your heritage spill it.
Guy, I'm tired pls.
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Hoephase: 12:36pm On Mar 11, 2020
sassysure:

Guy, I'm tired pls.

Too ashamed of your tribe or where you from?

The text you have up there is enough to spell out the name of more than half the tribe in naija
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by oyatz(m): 12:37pm On Mar 11, 2020
High Chief Agbo Obaseki was NOT an Oba, he was a British appointed administrator (at best a Regent).

Nobody in Bini dead or alive ever call him Oba of Bini. The surrounding tribes like Ishan, Afemai or the Yorubas never related with him as the Oba of Bini.

Xisnin:

Obaseki took over.
It doesn't matter what the people think.
Dalai Lama is in exile, it will be a stretch to name him the leader of Tibet
when he has lost political power.
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by baralatie(m): 12:37pm On Mar 11, 2020
deluckiest:
Oba Ovorawmen was never replaced by Obaseki, rather he was used to collect taxes to the british government. The people of Benin never recognized him as Oba. The throne was left vacant until the death of Oba Ovorawmen where he exiled in Calabar, his son Oba Eweka assumed the throne to continue from where his father left off
you guys should get use to that fact that Oba was removed,dethroned,banished and the palace ruined and was replaced by Obaseki.
anyhow you spin it you still confirm the fact on ground.
it would have been arguable if the Benin people had yanked Obaseki from his seat of power and called the British Government to order!

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by crackkhaus: 12:42pm On Mar 11, 2020
sassysure:

Kanwulia brother

No wonder cheesy

Cray Cray is in you guys blood cheesy.

During the time this oba was crowned, one Cray Cray mama( she is even a grandma but can wear bomshot) took me on the step by step procedures of how to crown an oba and what it entails.

This woman is agbero cheesy
If I see her, I will remember mama bakassi.
I do miss her sometimes cos that woman is fire.

My locktician till he travelled out was from Benin too.
The guy just disappeared though he has been hinting he will travel out then.

Refused to tell me what he mixes for my hair even though I promised to pay him.

Well, I have improvised here. Thanks to youtube grin

My craze no still reach Kanwulia own, that woman is an OG... cheesy

So you carry locks? shocked
I wantu see... cry
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by BABYLUVLY(f): 12:43pm On Mar 11, 2020
Eze C Ilomuanya of Orlu in IMO state was dethroned by oga Roro. In my hometown an Ezeigwe was dethroned because he ordered for the execution of a little baby crying when something that had to do with the king was happening. The king was passing and there was a ceremony which no sound was supposed to be heard from anywhere. So he was dethroned.

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Hyperchi(m): 12:48pm On Mar 11, 2020
Not that we don't have kings we do. The word is an irony meaning we can't be controlled or we have no supervisor

Every first born controls his father house, everyone is independent of the other.
In my place mbaise our kings are appointed and rotation. So we can't say we had a king in the old, coz we are doing this style coz of change and a need to have a representative when benefit is coming.

So few igbo community had kings but the ratio was 1/100

3 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by phillipsword(m): 12:48pm On Mar 11, 2020
the land of Benin was the last city the British dominated before the amalgamation of Nigeria

get this fact clear very well......the oba was removed by war which was the war of territorial battles
from 1896 to 1914.....there was no oba in the Benin dynasty why because even the British understood that the throne is by ancestral heritage
those dragging the great Benin empire into this should go an check history verify your fact before your commentary
Benin kingdom.....we are Adored
Benin kingdom....we are bold of our heritage
Benin kingdom....we don't chose by election
Benin kingdom... the ancestors do the Crown � not humans

Benin kingdom....we are not moved by present dispensational jittery
@OBA GHA TOO KPERE.....ISEE?....if you know you know

3 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by einsteine(m): 12:49pm On Mar 11, 2020
phayvoursky:
This op should get his facts checked. Oba Ovonramwen Nogbaisi was never dethroned but exiled. While in exile he was still King of Benin.

Benin and Edo people can't have 2 Kings alive.

He was dethroned.

His reign ended there and then.

Agho Obaseki became the representative of the British in Benin.

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by AreaFada2: 12:51pm On Mar 11, 2020
Xisnin:

Obaseki took over.
It doesn't matter what the people think.
Dalai Lama is in exile, it will be a stretch to name him the leader of Tibet
when he has lost political power.
Obaseki was one of about 9 chiefs the British asked to manage local affairs. But was he an Oba? No. Did he sit on the throne? No. Did he even rebuild the destroyed and looted palace as his residence? No.

When King Charles the first was beheaded in 1649, Oliver Cromwell took over as Protector of the Commonwealth. But never was King of England.

That is the difference.

2 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by moorevic(m): 12:52pm On Mar 11, 2020
AfroKnight:

Don’t exaggerate na. So Igbos have no king, but obi of Onitsha is what? A class captain? Baba calm down.
What he meant was that we don't acknowledge them. We believe in all man is a king to himself.
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by laykman(m): 12:55pm On Mar 11, 2020
orisa37:
Grant Full Autonomy of Police, Resources and Elections Control to the 37 legit States of NIGERIA and all Problems will be done with.

What then will be the use of the federal government, or even a country in the first place if every state would have total and complete control of its own welfare?
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by iamJ(m): 12:56pm On Mar 11, 2020
Deicide:
I have always wondered why we still have all this monarchy system in Nigeria, even though we operate under Democracy. Democracy is an illusion, but that a topic for another day.

Then it came to me, this monarchy is kept because of politics, the government need a figure head to convince there people to vote for them! If not I don't see any use of the System if it can be influenced by the Government. But unfortunately we as the Citizens don't care! Even though the system makes us tribalist among one another.
gbam
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Adgideon(m): 12:57pm On Mar 11, 2020
Unbiased1:

Trash.
I can see the truth in your word TRASH
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Nobody: 12:58pm On Mar 11, 2020
oyatz:
Prominent Igbo authors like Chinua Achebe (Things Fall apart, There was a country etc), Odumegwu-Ojukwu (Because I am involved) etc have written about traditional authorities in Igboland.

Most Igbo communities are independent of each other are ruled traditionally by a committee of elders. The eldest preside over the meetings.

However, there is no community owned palaces, permanent leader or royal families. The 'chairman' of the elders' council is NOT a king.

For the sake of clarity, I will explain this a bit.

In igboland especially anambra which I came from, we have nze na òzò.
Now, nollywood has merged them together.

Nze and òzò are different traditional titles we have in anambra state.
We have ichie.
Ichie and nze and òzò are the three prominent igbo titles we have in anambra for men

The nze and ichie run the ùmùnna. They are otherwise called the elders of the land.
The nze wear red cap.
The oźò is dinstint from these two cos it's political.
The oźò members are answerable to the igwe of that town.
Oźò title is usually done in the night to the celebration dsy by the igwe of the town exclusively and his cabinet and other òzò members
Whatever traditional rites needed are done by the igwe and his council alone and yeah, it takes a lot to be one.

And for u to aspire to be a young òzò man, your dad must be crowned before u.

That is why whenever u see the chief, u see òzò people around him chiefs have cabinet members and they are all òzò title red cap holders.

Do i still look like i do not know what im talkig about?

Infact, when a prominent òzò member enters another town on official visit like traditional marriage, they usually pay homage to the igwe.

I was surprised to see FFK doing that.
He was told of the tradition and he honoured it.

In anambra we have ùmùnna which are ruled by elders of different villages. Now each ùmùnna has head.
All the heads from each village of the town are answerable to the chief. A town has a chief which comprises of villages that has ùmùnna ruled by the elders of India ichie and nze. Among them, we have the òźò people. They are not as big as the nze elders and ndì ichie.
That u don't see the chief everywhere don't mean they are not there.

A good example is the national assembly and presidency.
That is how they are ran.
I hope I tried explaining this.

It may be different in other igbo states as some of them has autonomous community kind of setting which is different from how it is in anambra.

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by iamJ(m): 12:58pm On Mar 11, 2020
galadima77:
Does anyone notice the end of those who dethrone these traditional rulers?
yes oooo

Britain is a great nation today

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by maasoap(m): 1:00pm On Mar 11, 2020
yanabasee:
Sanusi Lamido Sanusi II dethronement is a personal beef and should've remained personal with Gandollar......

Nothing personal between the duo, pure political differences and ideology. Unfortunately for Sanusi, Ganduje was his boss
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by iamJ(m): 1:03pm On Mar 11, 2020
crackkhaus:

Brush up on your history.

Oba Ovoranmen was succeeded by Eweka II, his first son.
so high in tribal hype

U can't see that he was just playing
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by deluckiest(m): 1:08pm On Mar 11, 2020
einsteine:

He was dethroned.

His reign ended there and then.

Agho Obaseki became the representative of the British in Benin.
Obaseki was appointed as administrator by the British and you guys should understand the difference. Check history and tell.me where Obaseki was ever referred or called 'Oba'.
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Agbons1991(m): 1:09pm On Mar 11, 2020
baralatie:

oba of Benin was dethroned, banished the palace cleared and burned and was replaced with Obaseki.

You have read the wrong history

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Photo Of A Kano Suicide Bomber (Warning: Graphic Photo) / Alamieyeseigha's Wife Ill, Son Killed In Dubai / FG Asks All Account Holders In Financial Institutions To Re-Register Despite BVN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.