Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,665 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:45 PM

What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car (3558 Views)

Will Dodge's Electric Muscle Car Satisfy Its Die-hard Fans? / What Is The Difference Between A Sport Car And A Muscle Car ? / Help With Gear Issues On Toyota Camry 2007 A.k.a. Muscle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by abbeg(m): 11:19pm On Mar 11, 2020
I noticed a lot of Nigerians, and people in general don't know what s muscle car is.
A muscle car is a front engine, 2 doored, rear wheel drive coupe manufactured between 1964-1975. Note this.
This means what we commonly refer to today as 'muscle cars' are actually totally different vehicles.
Chevrolet camaro.: One of the most popular muscle cars ever, the Camaro was revived in 2008, but as a SPORTS car. With turbochargers, excellent handling sleek, sporty lines and a beautiful interior, it has all the makings of a typical luxury coupe. The fact it bears similar name's as it's ancestors means nothing.

Dodge charger and challenger: The modern day dodges are about the closest thing to a real muscle car one can find nowadays. Sporting large v8s and bold muscular looks( in the case of the challenger) they try to carry on the legacy of their forefathers. Although the charger is now a 4 door family sedan, rather than the menacing beast it was in the 60s and 70s.

Ford mustang: Much like the Camaro, the modern day mustang has evolved into a sports coupe. With excellent handling and a redesigned and "sportier" exterior, it has all the looks and charm and performance of a modern day exotic, rather than a straight-line monster.

In short..... Muscle cars are dead. Gone. Finito.
What we have now are evolved versions of the classics. The last "muscle car" was probably the Pontiac firebird trans-sm in 1978, although it didn't check all the boxes either. Emission laws and the oil embargo pulled the plug on muscle cars.
The modern day versions sometimes sport a v6, or a turbo-4 and in some extreme cases; an electric motor. Not very "muscular", but a lot more "sporty". Turbochargers are a supercar thing.
The line between supercar and muscle car is blurring by the minute. If we begin to call anything that isn't a Volvo a "muscle car", we are only disrespecting the legacy the classics left behind for us.
Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by abbeg(m): 11:20pm On Mar 11, 2020
Some examples of the true muscle cars

Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by abbeg(m): 11:21pm On Mar 11, 2020
Modern day counterparts

1 Like

Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by abbeg(m): 11:22pm On Mar 11, 2020
More pics coming. Feel free to comment your opinion
Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by Nobody: 4:01am On Mar 12, 2020
I think you should make money and buy one first,because na lack of money dey make person feel too important or sage untop unnecessary details.
Nwanne Jee chuba ego... grin grin grin
Like who gives a fùck??
He even went as far as asking our opinions
People that have money to buy these usually don't care whether your broke ass thinks it's a muscle car or not,no no...they buy what they like and what the current society calls it.
Carry your nostalgia and false sense of importance clear road make we see money buy wetin we like and you like too,just say you are too broke and too ambition less to face reality,
Spits!

2 Likes

Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by timifakay(m): 8:19am On Mar 12, 2020
abbeg:
More pics coming. Feel free to comment your opinion

How can I get one in this country?
Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by doggedfighter(f): 2:17pm On Mar 12, 2020
Of what use is this muscle lecture?

1 Like

Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by HeavenlyBang(m): 4:19pm On Mar 12, 2020
Lol, Challenger, GT350, and GT500 are very much muscle cars.

RWD.
Coupe.
Big American V8.

Camaro and Mustang are pony cars. More of sports cars these days, though.

2 Likes

Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by NaijadrivaCars: 5:33pm On Mar 12, 2020
It beats me why someone could call a 2007 Toyota Camry a "Toyota Muscle". As in how

1 Like

Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by abbeg(m): 5:41pm On Mar 12, 2020
I think you should make money and buy one first,because na lack of money dey make person feel too important or sage untop unnecessary details.
Nwanne Jee chuba ego... grin grin grin
Like who gives a fùck??
He even went as far as asking our opinions
People that have money to buy these usually don't care whether your broke ass thinks it's a muscle car or not,no no...they buy what they like and what the current society calls it.
Carry your nostalgia and false sense of importance clear road make we see money buy wetin we like and you like too,just say you are too broke and too ambition less to face reality,
Spits!
So if I buy a bicycle and call it a muscle car, does it make it one?
This was written solely for education. I'm not trying to make anyone not buy what they want. The fact is Ford, GM and Chrysler release these cars nowadays as different vehicles, bearing the same name's as their ancestors. I wrote this to let people know what is what, as nowadays even Lamborghinis are referred to as, "muscle cars" by some people. These are the people I'm reaching out to.
If you think I'm trying to shove dirt on the modern pony cars, you're very wrong (I love the modern challenger). And I don't recall EVER saying anything remotely close to, "This car is sh*t!!!"

So next time, learn to read before barging in.

6 Likes

Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by abbeg(m): 5:44pm On Mar 12, 2020
HeavenlyBang:
Lol, Challenger, GT350, and GT500 are very much muscle cars.

RWD.
Coupe.
Big American V8.

Camaro and Mustang are pony cars. More of sports cars these days, though.
I think the challenger is the most "muscular" car we have now. I personally don't consider the gt500 a muscle car, it's more "sporty" The gt350, maybe.

But the Camaros? nah. Their 'evolution' is complete grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by abbeg(m): 5:47pm On Mar 12, 2020
Classic....

Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by abbeg(m): 5:51pm On Mar 12, 2020
And modern....

Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by abbeg(m): 5:54pm On Mar 12, 2020
NaijadrivaCars:
It beats me why someone could call a 2007 Toyota Camry a "Toyota Muscle". As in how
It's more of it's styling than anything else. It was styled pretty aggressively for it's time. Hence, the nickname, "muscle".
Also, 80% of Nigerians have no idea what a muscle car is anyway. smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by abbeg(m): 5:57pm On Mar 12, 2020
doggedfighter:
Of what use is this muscle lecture?
It's more of an excuse to post pictures of my favourite muscle cars than anything else grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:17pm On Mar 12, 2020
abbeg:
I think the challenger is the most "muscular" car we have now. I personally don't consider the gt500 a muscle car, it's more "sporty" The gt350, maybe.

But the Camaros? nah. Their 'evolution' is complete grin grin

The GT500 is more muscle than the GT350.
Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by EgunMogaji2: 9:13pm On Mar 12, 2020
I disagree with most of what’s written.

We have classic muscle cars, modern muscle cars, super sports and super cars.

1) My Mustang with Boss 302 = classic muscle
2) My Pontiac Trans AM with 5.7 V8 = modern muscle
3) My Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX SE with turbocharged 4 cylinder making 375hp or my BMW M3 or Mercedes AMG C43 = super sports.
4) When I eventually buy an Audi R8 = super car.

1 Like

Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by doggedfighter(f): 10:43pm On Mar 12, 2020
abbeg:
It's more of an excuse to post pictures of my favourite muscle cars than anything else grin grin
I knew it grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by abbeg(m): 5:41pm On Mar 13, 2020
EgunMogaji2:
I disagree with most of what’s written.

We have classic muscle cars, modern muscle cars, super sports and super cars.

1) My Mustang with Boss 302 = classic muscle
2) My Pontiac Trans AM with 5.7 V8 = modern muscle
3) My Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX SE with turbocharged 4 cylinder making 375hp or my BMW M3 or Mercedes AMG C43 = super sports.
4) When I eventually buy an Audi R8 = super car.
I thought the Evo and m3 are referred to as, "tuners"
Plus there are people that call AMGs muscle cars.
Thus, the essence of this thread
Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by abbeg(m): 5:42pm On Mar 13, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

The GT500 is more muscle than the GT350.
I got the names mixed up. Swap the 500 for 350
Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by abbeg(m): 5:44pm On Mar 13, 2020
timifakay:

How can I get one in this country?
It's harder to get a classic (they are also usually more expensive) but if you like something newer,
The modern ones are relatively easy to buy from my understanding
Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by abbeg(m): 5:49pm On Mar 13, 2020
More pics

Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by abbeg(m): 5:54pm On Mar 13, 2020
Most beautiful car ever IMO.... The 69 boss "29" or 20....same thing smiley

1 Like

Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by abbeg(m): 5:59pm On Mar 13, 2020
More

Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by abbeg(m): 6:00pm On Mar 13, 2020
2012 mustang Looks way better than the 2019 IMO

Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by timifakay(m): 8:10pm On Mar 13, 2020
abbeg:
It's harder to get a classic (they are also usually more expensive) but if you like something newer,
The modern ones are relatively easy to buy from my understanding

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11199444_images3_jpeg61842ce9c9fa2118d9a3e0561118cec5

Or nothing

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by EgunMogaji2: 8:14pm On Mar 13, 2020
abbeg:

Any car can be a tuner car.

My current Subaru Libero is a tuner car to me because I’m tuning it for better performance.

I’ve never moved in any circle that calls any AMG muscle.
Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:18pm On Mar 13, 2020
abbeg:

The only AMG that can possibly be called muscle is the C63 with the 6.2L V8. That engine is just amazing.

1 Like

Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by abbeg(m): 11:55pm On Mar 13, 2020
timifakay:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11199444_images3_jpeg61842ce9c9fa2118d9a3e0561118cec5

Or nothing
It costs around 500,000$
Plus it's rare.....and comes with 425hp smiley
If you can afford it, no problem.

You can also check out the 72 Chevy Monte Carlo (looks kind of like a 71-74 Chevelle) or the 325 hp El camino "muscle truck", also resembling a truck version of the chevelle.

Monte Carlo ss for avg. 28k (dollars)

El camino for 18k( which is a VERY good bargain IMO)

Top pic Camino... Bottom pick Monte

Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by abbeg(m): 11:57pm On Mar 13, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Any car can be a tuner car.

My current Subaru Libero is a tuner car to me because I’m tuning it for better performance.

I’ve never moved in any circle that calls any AMG muscle.
Believe me, they exist.
Right up there with the "Bugatti muscle car" guys.
Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by ivoryhouse(m): 6:36am On Mar 15, 2020
There a many new generation muscle cars, not close to it but real muscle cars. The Dodge brand is one if the last remaining companies to still build muscle cars. Their Challenger and Charger are bona fide muscle cars, so is the Chevrolet SS, Cadillac CTS v, Ford Mustang Shelby Gt350R, Chevrolet Camaro Zl1, Equus Bass 770, and the Mustang Gt Fastback. Permit me to share pictures of these awesome muscle cars.
abbeg:
I noticed a lot of Nigerians, and people in general don't know what s muscle car is.
A muscle car is a front engine, 2 doored, rear wheel drive coupe manufactured between 1964-1975. Note this.
This means what we commonly refer to today as 'muscle cars' are actually totally different vehicles.
Chevrolet camaro.: One of the most popular muscle cars ever, the Camaro was revived in 2008, but as a SPORTS car. With turbochargers, excellent handling sleek, sporty lines and a beautiful interior, it has all the makings of a typical luxury coupe. The fact it bears similar name's as it's ancestors means nothing.

Dodge charger and challenger: The modern day dodges are about the closest thing to a real muscle car one can find nowadays. Sporting large v8s and bold muscular looks( in the case of the challenger) they try to carry on the legacy of their forefathers. Although the charger is now a 4 door family sedan, rather than the menacing beast it was in the 60s and 70s.

Ford mustang: Much like the Camaro, the modern day mustang has evolved into a sports coupe. With excellent handling and a redesigned and "sportier" exterior, it has all the looks and charm and performance of a modern day exotic, rather than a straight-line monster.

In short..... Muscle cars are dead. Gone. Finito.
What we have now are evolved versions of the classics. The last "muscle car" was probably the Pontiac firebird trans-sm in 1978, although it didn't check all the boxes either. Emission laws and the oil embargo pulled the plug on muscle cars.
The modern day versions sometimes sport a v6, or a turbo-4 and in some extreme cases; an electric motor. Not very "muscular", but a lot more "sporty". Turbochargers are a supercar thing.
The line between supercar and muscle car is blurring by the minute. If we begin to call anything that isn't a Volvo a "muscle car", we are only disrespecting the legacy the classics left behind for us.

1 Like

Re: What Is And Isn't A Muscle Car by abbeg(m): 1:13am On Mar 18, 2020
ivoryhouse:
There a many new generation muscle cars, not close to it but real muscle cars. The Dodge brand is one if the last remaining companies to still build muscle cars. Their Challenger and Charger are bona fide muscle cars, so is the Chevrolet SS, Cadillac CTS v, Ford Mustang Shelby Gt350R, Chevrolet Camaro Zl1, Equus Bass 770, and the Mustang Gt Fastback. Permit me to share pictures of these awesome muscle cars.
The CTS is a luxury car
Equus is a "gentleman's" muscle car....like the classic Chevy Monte Carlo
GT350 and Camaro are full blown sports cars
Mustang fastback? debatable.
Only the challenger fits the bill. The charger was a family sedan, but it's starting to come up.
This is what I'm saying. These cars have evolved into different things. Most of them aren't muscle cars anymore.....even though their ancestors were.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lexus 2003/4 RX 330, Infiniti FX35 OR Nissan Murano / 2008 Camry: My Car Is Jerking On Idle! / Should I Buy The Benz Or The Range Rover (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.